Ad-blocking & supporting your favorite sites

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Impulse, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Impulse

Impulse [H]ardForum Junkie

I read the one news blurb Steve posted earlier regarding Firefox, ads, and whatnot... It's something I've been wondering about for a while actually (only switched from IE to Firefox like three months ago myself). I disabled the ad blocking option a couple weeks ago and did a couple click thru to the ads on the small sites I visit most often but it's obviously not something that's very convenient.

Fact of the matter is I like browsing with the ads turned off on most sites usually as they can be pretty obtrusive and distracting... However, I'm more than willing to enable the ads for specific sites if I were able to do it easily (or easier than just enabling it for all and doing some click-thrus, then disabling them again)...

So, here's where y'all come in. Anyone know of a Firefox extension that lets ya treat ad-blocking on a per-site basis (or maybe even per-ad basis)? Or some other method of dutifuly supporting the ad income of sites such as [H] while avoiding the assault of ads on most other sites that you really don't care much for?

Heck I'd rather pay my total potential ad revenue as a yearly figure rather than be subjected to ads or be bothered to go outta my way to go click on 'em... Stuff like the system guides with the Newegg links is much more compelling as I read those anyway and click the links to help out and generally to see how prices are stacking up these days.

I know it's a touchy subject, looking for intelligent suggestions regarding what us as the readers can do... I know the site ad revenue model has a ton of flaws and that's an entirely different topic really.