Actual Number Of Stolen Yahoo Accounts Could Be Over 1 Billion

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Yahoo may have severely underestimated how much information was actually leaked. This is based on the fact that the company has quite a few more active users than just 500 million, whose credentials are all stored in one centralized database.

Yahoo has said that the breach affected at least 500 million users. But the former Yahoo exec estimated the number of accounts that could have potentially been stolen could be anywhere between 1 billion and 3 billion. According to this executive, all of Yahoo's products use one main user database, or UDB, to authenticate users. So people who log into products such as Yahoo Mail, Finance, or Sports all enter their usernames and passwords, which then goes to this one central place to ensure they are legitimate, allowing them access. That database is huge, the executive said. At the time of the hack in 2014, inside were credentials for roughly 700 million to 1 billion active users accessing Yahoo products every month, along with many other inactive accounts that hadn't been deleted.

Yahoo is still in business ??? I thought they died like 10-15yrs ago with AOL.

Yahoo is still in business ??? I thought they died like 10-15yrs ago with AOL.
AOL isn't dead either. I just got a client off of them a couple months ago. Cancelled the billing account and they let him keep his account for free.:eek:

I think at this point it's safer to say that the total number of compromised yahoo accounts is 'all of them'.

My ISP uses Yahoo to run the backend on their mail system and have advised me to change passwords on my main and sub-accounts. Annoyingly the sub accounts each need their own, non-isp backup email addresses, for which i set up... throwaway yahoo addresses!

I think it's time I finally close all my ISP and yahoo accounts.

my yahoo used to get compromised all the time. I would get a spam email from myself on one of my other email addresses that was in my yahoo directory and have to tell everyone to not open anything they got from me in the last xxx days cause it was compromised again. only kept it because I had so many resumes out there with that email address on it. for whatever reason it stopped a few years back when I took my strong PW from 12 to 18 characters (I dont even know what it is actually) but now I see its because they just got everyone's info and decided not to bother anymore :D
I had actually changed it a couple of times in the last couple of years anyway, not surprised in the least when this broke.

Back