Active repeater cable stopping other USB port from working, any ideas?

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
So I am having this very strange issue.

I'm running on an Asus p8z68-v pro motherboard, on the back there are two USB 3.0 ports.

I have been using one to plug in my main USB hub (which has its own power adapter that plugs into an outlet).

I recently got a USB 3.0 active repeater cable so I could plug up my new external blu ray player into the other room and have it plugged up to the other usb 3.0 that's beside that one.

Everything works fine while my computer is on. However when I restart my pc My usb hub will not work, it simply refuses to allow any devices connected to it to work (the light showing power to it lights up, but the lights that show a device is plugged into it does not work).

However, if I unplug the usb active repeater cable that's beside where my hub is plugged in, it works. All of my devices will power on and everything works. Then I can replug the active repeater cable in and both of them will work just fine.

I can not for the life of me figure out why this is happening, anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? It's really really annoying having to go behind my pc to unplug/replug in the cable every single time I restart my pc.

I have no idea whatsoever, but maybe try a short USB extender then plug your repeater into the extender? That's all I got.

How long is your USB active cable?

Technically the things count as hubs, and depending on the length they may count as *two* hubs. I run my entire computer in a different room from where I sit, using long DVI, HDMI, and USB extension cables. Originally, I had purchased a pair of active USB 3 extension cables with the intent to plug them into a hub, providing me ports on the end. Turns out, each cable counted as two hubs, combined with the final hub on the end there were 5 (which is the maximum length allowed). Everything was hunky dory, until one day I plugged a USB stick into the other USB 3 port on the motherboard (next to where the extension cables were plugged in). All of a sudden, the hub on my desk (previously #5 in the chain) was showing up as #6 on the chain (and thus not working). And to my horror, the effect was *permanent* - unplugging the USB stick did nothing. Rebooting did nothing. Nothing did anything, the system *refused* to going back to seeing the hub at the end as #5. I ended up doing a system restore within Windows to a date prior to plugging in the USB stick, and that finally restored it to functionality. This sounds at least vaguely similar to what you're encountering.

In the end, after accidentally repeating this process a couple times, I gave up. I still have the USB 3 extension, but no hub on the other end. I use it as a single port. I bought an active USB 2.0 cable, which was available as a single cable in the same length it took TWO 3.0 cables to get. It still counts as two hubs, but since there's only one cable the hub on my desk is only #3 in the chain and thus no problems even if it magically bumps itself to #4 in the future. I use the single USB 3 port at the end of the extension cord to plug in thumbdrives and such - things that actually need USB 3 speed.

So that one definitely counts as two hubs. Are there any other hubs involved? If so, how many ports. Another interesting fact I ran into is some USB hubs are actually more than one hub. Specifically, I had a 7-port USB 3 hub from Amazon, and it was functionally two hubs. 2 of the ports on one, 5 on the next. I changed to using a USB 3 hub with only 4 ports that counted as a single hub.

I just have that active repeater cable and then an actual USB hub that I use to plug in my mouse/kb/xbox controller (it's only like a 6 foot cable).

I'm pretty clueless then, other than my general experience with the active repeater cables being "weird" when also using the on-system USB ports.

Just to ask, is USB 3 a requirement? It's not for mouse/kb/xbox controller, it may be simpler to just use a USB 2 port and active repeater.

Back