Active Directory - Need Help

flav3rsav3r

Weaksauce
I don't know if this belongs under Network or OS... but I will try here first.

On our PDC server when I change information in an existing user, click apply then ok... the information changes and then about 15 seconds later reverts back to the old information.

Any ideas why that might happen? Is it pulling back info from the Slave Domain Controller?

O.S. is Win2K A.S.

Never seen this one before!

Thanks!!! :D

Never seen this. Active directory is multi master. Any change that happens on one server should replicate to all others.

PDC is the primary, SDC is the exchange server and backup for Active Directory.

The object I am changing is a contact. I went to SDC where the Exchange is and changed it there and it kept the changes and updated PDC.

However, I still believe it should work in reverse as well.

technically there is no primary or secondary as far as active directory is concerned. Any change made to the AD database on any server should replicate all changes to all other servers in the domain. Only time Ive heard of this type of change reversion is when non authoritative restores are done.

when you restore AD from backup and then the restored server has all recent changes replicated to it. If you try to recover lost AD objects by doing a non-authoritative restore then the restored objects will still be deleted because of replication

Just a guess here but check the timesync. AD works off of time stamps to see which server has thge latest change no?

Trech,
Thanks for the inffo. No restore has been done in the last year, so I think we are ok there.

Time Syncs are good.

Weird.

Problem solved, Senior Network Admin was out of town just got a hold of him. We had recently moved to behind a PIX and he changed what I thought was the PDC to a BDC. Our PDC will propogate to the BDC's but not backwards. He forgot to send out the email. (Or this is the story I got)

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion.

PDC/BDC = NT

Win2K = AD

Your use of PDC and BDC are throwing me off. If you are in fact running Windows 2000 on the DC's, then the only "PDC like" qualifications one server may have over the others is Schema Master/ Global Catalog Server indicators. The fatc still remains that when you made a change on one, it SHOULD have replicated to the other box.

Is this other box offsite by any chance?

The box is local and it is AD. I was just using old lingo because I am used to saying PDC/BDC... but they are not. :)

Thanks!!

that seems strange. there really IS a PDC in windows 2000, *BUT* this does not really explain your problem. for management of AD it is a multimaster scnario as many have pointed out, and changes made on the BDC should replicate to all other DCs. the PDC is really only a PDC because it has some added roles which should have no bearing on your situation.

so glad the problem is solved, but i'm a little curious for some more explanation.

thanks,
big boi

There is something we are all missing. This makes no sense. AD is designed you can can make a change on any DC and that will replicate to all other DC beacuse they are "equal". Unless the pis is between the DC's somehow and blocking communications i don't see how this is possible.

Originally posted by oakfan52
There is something we are all missing. This makes no sense. AD is designed you can can make a change on any DC and that will replicate to all other DC beacuse they are "equal". Unless the pis is between the DC's somehow and blocking communications i don't see how this is possible.
my problem with this thread as well.

Originally posted by big daddy fatsacks
my problem with this thread as well.

Indeed. I personally know of no way to set a "preferred" dc where updates will propagate from and not in reverse. I'm not saying there isnt a way I just don't know of one.

Back