Active Directory domain name - local versus com/net/org

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I see lots of arguments for and against use a TLD name for your Active Directory. For example, a lot of places suggest buying businessname.net and using that for the website, but businessname.local for Active Directory and internal DNS. We've always used the same name for both.

Another thing I've seen is using a subdomain of my TLD for the Domain tree.

It just kind of makes me curious, since the latest versions of Windows Server and Mac OS X both use .local by default and make you change it to net/com/org. I own a domain name for my family, and I'm going to be redoing my domain controller at the house soon (SBS 2008 baby! :D), so I'm wondering if I should use cortiaus.net or cortiaus.local inside the house.

I've always used .local or .pri/.prv. I never understood the point in using a pubicly available domain name for something that should stay internal. You run the possibility of having a split horizon type issue; where you have to resolve the same domain/host name differently internally than externally.

I've always followed the .local convention. This way you avoid having to edit DNS to create www or mail records for clients behind the network to be able to find your public hosted website or POP3 mail, and other things like that.

I've always followed the .local convention. This way you avoid having to edit DNS to create www or mail records for clients behind the network to be able to find your public hosted website or POP3 mail, and other things like that.

Yeah, that's by far the biggest pain in the ass at work. We have remote.company.net go to OWA, www.company.net go to the corporate website, but company.net just goes to the "Hello World!" IIS7 web page because the root DNS always points to the DC.

I have always gone with .local as well. Just doesn't make sense, like what XOR said.

I did .lan this time around just because its shorter and .local caused DNS issues for VPN connections via the iPhone

I have had issues with clients who have setup a website called mysite.com and their internal domain has mysite.com

The main issue is trying to access the website from inside the network

We use companyname.com for internal and external - we haven't had an issue at all.

I've seen some places do companyname.com for the external and then ad.companyname.com for the internal. Seems to work okay. I prefer the .local for the inside myself....

I have had issues with clients who have setup a website called mysite.com and their internal domain has mysite.com

The main issue is trying to access the website from inside the network

I do the same thing at home. I just put settings in my host file even though the right way was probably to edit my dns settings. My old dlink router handled this automatically however my cisco 813 doesn't. I just edited the host file. (I probably just don't know how to set the cisco up correctly)

Same here for the same reason.
I inherited a setup that used thecompanyname.com and it was a pita.

Back