Act of WAR impressions

Celsius

Gawd
I just can't get into it. I guess its because its just too jerky and not smooth like command and conquer. Its more like counter strike with tanks and planes. I know its supposed to be more realistic but I'm lost in the game I'm up to third mission and its really easy.

What are your thoughts??

I played the demo and really liked it, though it was really nice. I'm going to buy BF 2 so i'll wait for it to go on sale.

Do you have Anti-Aliasing enabled? That caused major "jerkiness" for me, and turning off AA didn't make it look worse, but it smoothed everything out. It's just that there are so many vertices and edges in the game that it takes A LOT to Anti-Alias them. It also uses a lot of memory, as well. If you're sure it's not a performance issue, I don't know what to tell you. I like it better than C&C: Generals because it looks really good, I like the graphics. Generals is simpler and the gameplay is fun, but Act of War is really realistic in terms of units in the US Army (Delta force, the snipers, the M1 Tank and the Bradley), but it still has cool futuristic elements in the Talon camp, like the drones and the S.H.I.E.L.D. units. Keep playing, the missions get more fun. As I recall, the first few are kind of monotonous, but after you get past that and can take more control and build more units, it's fun. Good luck! :D

It's a little slow to start, but as stated above, it picks up as you get further into the campaign and becomes really fun. It has replaced Dawn of War as my new RTS obsession.

Also, either the AI in skirmish mode is brutal or I'm still using too many C&C tactics because if I play on the higher diffculty levels I get my ass handed to me.

I played it for a while at my friends place and found it rather crap.

The gameplay just gets interupted by ghey cutscenes every 30 seconds which makes it feel like im watching a movie as opposed to actually playing/influencing a game. If they took the corney movies out and made the game a tad more smooth (gameplay wise) people might actually like it.

I haven't tried AOW yet.I'm playing Axis and Allies right now (Seems like the same engine by Atari). Axis and Allies was really slow at the start also. I didn't even know what I was doing for the first 3 Battles, but I was winning easily. It got more difficult, and fun after the first few missions.And I'm enjoying it quite a bit now that it got harder. I'll pick up AOW when it hits the bargain bin as well. There are just too many other games going on right now to warrant another purchase at the moment for me. With GTA:SA and BF2 Demo I have plenty of gaming right now.

Back