ACS:Law Gets Data Breach Fine Reduced

HardOCP News

[H] News
You just have to love the double standards the courts have when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is okay to send an accused file sharer into bankruptcy over 22 songs but, if you are the scumbag lawyer extorting those file sharers for money, you can have your $327,000 fine reduced to $1,630.

Former ACS:Law owner Andrew Crossley has been fined by the Information Commissioner’s Office for allowing the details of around 6,000 Internet users to be leaked onto the Internet. However, since Crossley has pleaded poverty his £200,000 fine was reduced to £1,000. Interesting, particularly since TorrentFreak has seen documents which show Crossley as jointly owning a house worth £750,000.

I think justice has been served to be honest, the guy had his entire business ruined and was made a laughing stock.

...and no court decided this. He was fined by a regulatory body, like Labor and Industries fines businesses for workplace safety violations, which then may be mitigated.

27p for every person's data that was leaked.

I'd like to ask a couple of them if they thought that their personal information was worth more than 27p.

You just have to love the double standards the courts have when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is okay to send an accused file sharer into bankruptcy over 22 songs but, if you are the scumbag lawyer extorting those file sharers for money, you can have your $327,000 fine reduced to $1,630.

+1, some fucked up shit.

I think justice has been served to be honest, the guy had his entire business ruined and was made a laughing stock.

Unless by "made a laughing stock" you mean at Jack Thompson level, then great. Only one person has been brought to that level though...

is that this is a solicitor in England. The mafiaa runs wild in the US.

I doubt you will find many "sued into bankruptcy" cases in England. Up till now, it looked like they were taking an appropriate action on such extortionists.

PS. Make absolutely sure that there aren't any [H]ard servers in England before using words like "extortionist" were you may have difficulty proving that legally correct. English libel law is nasty.

PS. Make absolutely sure that there aren't any [H]ard servers in England before using words like "extortionist" were you may have difficulty proving that legally correct. English libel law is nasty.

True, I should have added 'allegedly' at the end. :)

Back