Acronis True Image Home 11 $9.99

Does this app allow you to make a boot CD/DVD and then use that to perform restores?

An additional $6 to download it again for only 2 years? Steam, they are not.

i gotta research this. if it can do all that, then im in.
i played with Ver 9 a bit, if i remember correctly.

I use version 10 and this is a decent backup disk image program. The image restore has saved my bacon a few times....plus you can restore just one file if you need to (to any location).
9.99 is a good deal. Seems to me like version 11 has been out for some time...they might be due for version 12 soon.

I swear by that program, have recommended it to countless others.

Saved my ass more than a few times, well worth the $50, let alone $10.

What batteriesnotincluded said; would LOVE to have this for $10. but...I'm clearly missing something. TI 11 is 49.99 via that link....that I can see. Is this dead? Or is there a special link via email or something?

What batteriesnotincluded said; would LOVE to have this for $10. but...I'm clearly missing something. TI 11 is 49.99 via that link....that I can see. Is this dead? Or is there a special link via email or something?

When I read shit like this, I start losing my faith in humanity. The OP has 3 lines in the post. One is a comment, the other its a link, and the third line clearly says there is a coupon code.

My thanks to the OP.
I am downloading the file as I write this.

The clone hard-disk feature is also very useful when upgrading a hard-disk.

Yea this is a good deal. Just had a client pay 50 bucks for it. For this price I'll prob pick up 2 copies and upgrade my older installs of it.

Thanks for the research!

Before I go and buy this, is there any whacky DRM, phoning home, or serial number crap to deal with?

I don't know about those, but you do d/l it direct from the receipt, OR you can d/l it for up to 30 days by logging into your Acronis account. And yeah, there is an activation key, ala Windows, that you need to enter and I'm pretty sure it phones home to verify/validate it. After that, I think you're good to go. It worked this way on Acronis 9 and 10.

hth

I don't know about those, but you do d/l it direct from the receipt, OR you can d/l it for up to 30 days by logging into your Acronis account. And yeah, there is an activation key, ala Windows, that you need to enter and I'm pretty sure it phones home to verify/validate it. After that, I think you're good to go. It worked this way on Acronis 9 and 10.

Serial numbers and/or "activation" are deal breakers for me even at $10. I want future installs to be worry-free, especially with a disaster recovery tool.

I'll stick with Clonezilla.

i bit, its a pretty damn nice program to have around for a $10 bill.

Serial numbers and/or "activation" are deal breakers for me even at $10. I want future installs to be worry-free, especially with a disaster recovery tool.

The CD is bootable and almost all the funtionality of the install is there on the bootable side.
That alone makes it worth the $10
It never asks for a key in that mode. Besides I keep all my keys in text files on multiple hard drives in multiple computers and a thumbdrive. I need to since its the only way for me to ever reinstall my educational versions of server 2003 on my servers in case the shit hits the fan.

Thanks. I had Acronis 10 and found it created more problems than it solved but I'll try 11.

Ok, silly question time, because I'm considering on biting on this one:

So let's say I do a fresh reformat. I can get all my drivers installed, the windows updates I need, install all my programs, games, etc., then make an image with this, and then when it comes time to take everything back to basics, I can just run the image and I'm done? How long does that typically take?

Also, other than the obvious need of updating drivers for hardware changes (i.e. motherboard chipset, graphics card, etc.) is there anything else the image might be affected by? Like, let's say I do a motherboard upgrade and its a new chipset. Can I run the image again to take everything back to basics, and then just update my motherboard drivers accordingly? Or would I be better off just starting from scratch again?

Putting some of these questions to rest.

I have been using this software for a long time. This new version 11 supports the ich9 intel stuff so that it can detect your newer chipsets and drives properly. you can MAKE a bootable cd from within the software so don't pay for media. you can even load this on to a boot partition to make a recovery partition like hp and dell etc do.

Pretty much every question in this thread, "can this software do this," the answer is yes. use it to make a clean image of your pc that you can always go to or use it to k eep your pc constantly backed up on a schedule. or just backup certain files and folders. it does EVERYTHING. restore them from bootable acronis cd. or use BartPE because that is also fully supported. If you switch out your motherboard you ALWAYS have to start over. Unless you spend more money and get the better version with universal restore features.

You can get this for 8.99 if you are smart about how you apply the 10% and coupon code. go to slickdealz.net and actually view the thread for this deal for the steps. its like the 3rd post.

this is a steal folks. dont pass it up.

The CD is bootable and almost all the funtionality of the install is there on the bootable side.
That alone makes it worth the $10
It never asks for a key in that mode.

All the cool stuff is available in the windows install only. Try&Decide is the big one for me. As for the stuff that's available on the bootable CD, there's really nothing special. There are excellent open source tools for disk imaging and partition magic type stuff.

Besides I keep all my keys in text files on multiple hard drives in multiple computers and a thumbdrive. I need to since its the only way for me to ever reinstall my educational versions of server 2003 on my servers in case the shit hits the fan.

When it comes to activation I say "Just Say No!"

(Except for Windows where I have no choice but be Microsoft's bitch.)

Activation? no. There is a serial number on it, but it doesn't phone home.

It's not like countless other software programs don't have keys. Hell, Avast Home Edition has a key and it's freeware. Save it as a text file, or write it down somewhere, and you're fine. Hell, save it in your email.

All the cool stuff is available in the windows install only. Try&Decide is the big one for me. As for the stuff that's available on the bootable CD, there's really nothing special. There are excellent open source tools for disk imaging and partition magic type stuff.

What tools do you recommend?

I need something CD-bootable and robust (eg- encryption, partition resizing, etc), and not have to deal with imposed limitations.

But--- it has to work reliably on different machines, storing images to USB drives and/or shares (smb/nfs). I've found that most bootable tools only work with some chipsets, certain network implementations, or have other limitations.

I also like Ghost because [supposedly] Vmware can create system images from them.

WTF are you folks babbling about? You need the KEY to install the SOFTWARE, that's IT... after it's installed, THAT'S IT, no more key necessary. It's not needed for using the Windows software, it's not needed to use the Recovery Media (aka the bootable CD you create or even a USB stick now apparently too).

Good lord... you're all making this incredibly easy thing so freakin' difficult, my god...

True Image 11 right now has more support for SATA/eSATA/Firewire/IDE and network support and other storage technologies than any other product on the planet. If it doesn't do what you need done, then something's fuckin' wrong.

'Nuff typed.

WTF are you folks babbling about?
Good lord... you're all making this incredibly easy thing so freakin' difficult, my god...
'Nuff typed.

There's a lot more considerations and scenarios than you're thinking about. Not everyone is simply trying to "back up" their "windows pc".

If what you say is true, and the bootable CD only does restores, then that's completely out for me. Ghost, partition magic, etc all worked for years as bootable floppies, you never needed (or wanted) to install them in windows.

A serial number is too much? Seriously?

Thanks to the OP, I was looking at this s/w earlier today and actually downloaded the trial version (haven't installed it yet). BUt for 10 bucks (or maybe 9.00), I'm just going to buy it. If I hate it, It's only 10 bucks.

The real problem with this program is you're only allowed to use it on one computer. This renders it next to useless as far as I'm concerned.

if you have a seagate drive, you can download and use discwizard for free. it is acronis.

and it installed fine on my vista ultimate 64 bit and made an image. i hope i dont need to restore that image :)

Ok, silly question time, because I'm considering on biting on this one:

So let's say I do a fresh reformat. I can get all my drivers installed, the windows updates I need, install all my programs, games, etc., then make an image with this, and then when it comes time to take everything back to basics, I can just run the image and I'm done? How long does that typically take?

Also, other than the obvious need of updating drivers for hardware changes (i.e. motherboard chipset, graphics card, etc.) is there anything else the image might be affected by? Like, let's say I do a motherboard upgrade and its a new chipset. Can I run the image again to take everything back to basics, and then just update my motherboard drivers accordingly? Or would I be better off just starting from scratch again?

Yeah it can do all that quite well. It takes about 25 minutes to create a backup, and you can store the backup image on a hard drive partition, a network drive, a usb device, or burn it directly to a DVD. It gives you the choice of backing up individual files, all files, or backing up a partition using sector-by-sector (for making a backup of a damaged hard drive before trying to recover deleted files or deleted partitions). You can choose to do a new backup, or you can have it read your previous backup image and do an incremental backup. The max compression works great (after clearing out the service pack unistallers I was able to fit an image of XP 64bit SP2 and XP 32bit SP3 together on a single DVD). Restoring a image is easy to do and you wont have an issue swapping for a new motherboard except maybe if you were running a software raid (it will work exactly the same as removing the hard drive and placing it in a new machine).

It can do all of that from a rescue bootcd. To create the bootable cd, you have to install the software, run the program, then click Create Bootable Rescue Media. It will bring up a list of all Acronis products that are installed and let you check off the ones that you want on the bootcd. The bootcd will never hassle you about cd keys, authentication, or anything like that.

When installed in Windows you can have it do automatic backups or rollback system changes. It uses a triple buffering technique to allow it to change important system files while Windows is running.

The only thing True Image does not include is a partition manager. When restoring an backup image you can change the partition size, but you can't create/resize current partitions. They have another product called Acronis Disk Director for partition management. True Image is a modern replacement for Norton Ghost, and Disk Director is a modern replacement for Partition Magic. :)

There's a lot more considerations and scenarios than you're thinking about. Not everyone is simply trying to "back up" their "windows pc".

If what you say is true, and the bootable CD only does restores, then that's completely out for me. Ghost, partition magic, etc all worked for years as bootable floppies, you never needed (or wanted) to install them in windows.

You have to install it to make the bootable cd or order the real cd from acronis. From the rescue cd you can create images, restore images, clone hard drives, and erase hard drives.

I didn't say anything about restores, I said it's called the "Recovery Media" which is what it's called by the software that creates it. The bootable CD created has a full blown 100% functional "DOS-based" version of True Image that works exactly like the Windows application and does more in some respects. It looks exactly as though you were running the Windows application, in fact, so if you do choose to use the Windows-based application you'll be right at home when you boot that CD.

Only does restores... that's quaint misconception and misread. The True Image bootable CD does everything, period.

if you have a seagate drive, you can download and use discwizard for free. it is acronis.

and it installed fine on my vista ultimate 64 bit and made an image. i hope i dont need to restore that image :)

Which Acronis product is it? They have a bunch. Do you know if it has Try&Decide?

Great tip t00thless!

What tools do you recommend?

I need something CD-bootable and robust (eg- encryption, partition resizing, etc), and not have to deal with imposed limitations.

But--- it has to work reliably on different machines, storing images to USB drives and/or shares (smb/nfs). I've found that most bootable tools only work with some chipsets, certain network implementations, or have other limitations.

Check out http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/

It's actually a collection of Linux tools on a Debain LiveCD. All types of USB devices, chipsets, and network protocols are all handled robustly because you're running a complete Linux kernel.

I don't know what Linux experience you have but you can pretty much choose your favorite Linux LiveCD and grab the tools you like/want.

http://www.partimage.org/

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsresize

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsclone

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

You really can't beat a big LiveDVD with a full Linux environment for disaster recovery.

Back