Acrobat Reader problems

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Having an issue when PDFs are emailed here.
Person A has Acrobat X 10.1.0, forwards an email to Person B who has Acrobat X 10.1.4
Person B opens the PDF and gets an error 'insufficient data for an image'
I am currently running Acrobat XI and get the same issue.
When Person A saves the PDF to a network drive, Person B can browse to the folder and open the PDF without any issues. I can also open the PDF no problem.

Thoughts, before I break out the sledge hammer? Maybe it's an email problem?

Thanks,
JM

It probably depends on how the PDF is saved and the options chosen at that point....
InDesign and Illustrator will nag about ASCII vs binary format images....InD does it when you print, and Ai does it especially when importing an EPS file.

I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Do you know what the source application being used is? That is, the app that the original document is made from before it's converted into a PDF.

The PDF in question is sent through VSI-FAX on the vendor's end to an eFax number here, which then gets sent as a PDF to Person A's email.

My assumption would be that either the source was created in a program that doesn't encapsulate well, or a 3rd party PDF creator was used to convert with improper settings. Possibly both.

Are you running Exchange on a Windows platform? Is there any form data? Is VSI-FAX also a workflow tool?

Sorry if this isn't terribly helpful :p

We are using imail server, not Exchange, yes to Windows.
I do not know anything about VSI-FAX, but guessing that it functions the same as eFax does for us. You can send/receive faxes all through email.
In this case, the purchasing fax # is forwarded to person A's eFax number, so anything sent to that number goes right to his email.

Sounds like the email is butchering the attachment. The email is really the only oddity here since you said if the PDF gets dumped on a shared network drive, it opens fine on B. If it's emailed, it doesn't.

zero, that is correct. After the holiday I am going to investigate with the folks at Ipswitch (imail server) and see what we can find!

It's a bug in Adobe and they're looking for a fix the first part of Q1. You can change the zoom level to view it, but it'll still have problems printing it.

Looks like it's a bugged that's come back to haunt them a few times,too...

It's a bug in Adobe and they're looking for a fix the first part of Q1. You can change the zoom level to view it, but it'll still have problems printing it.

Looks like it's a bugged that's come back to haunt them a few times,too...

He stated that he's running XI and he has the same problem.

Its a reoccurring bug in 9 and 10, I don't see why it wouldn't be in 11. Worth trying the fix in the article.

Adobe has some pretty stupid bugs the seem to crop up over and over. This is most likely no exception.

Back