ACLU App Lets Android Users Secretly Tape Police

HardOCP News

[H] News
Been awhile since the police bounced a baton off your forehead? There's an app for that....only on Android!

The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey has released an Android app designed to be used by people who want to secretly record police activity without running the risk that the mobile device will be seized.

"Officer, look here into my phone. No, it's not recording you, but look here as I hold it in front of me towards you.".

Yeah, this is going to go over *real* well.

The article said an iOS version is coming later. They must have gotten the Android app out sooner because they knew that Android owners were more likely to get messed with by the police who would see the phone and go "Android owner! Crime in progress!!!"

ACLU says: Fuck you and all your moniez iphone users! Only po' folk can benefit from our appz!

About damn time. Cops these days cannot be trusted. Too many trumped up charges, too many lies, and too many cops abusing their power and breaking the law themselves.

It probably came to Android first only because they're developing it for one platform at a time and picked that one first.

About damn time. Cops these days cannot be trusted. Too many trumped up charges, too many lies, and too many cops abusing their power and breaking the law themselves.

It probably came to Android first only because they're developing it for one platform at a time and picked that one first.

Oh no! It's a well known fact that I just made up! Android owners are all criminals and even if they're not currently involved in a felony, it's only a moment or two away so they may as well be arrested. :D

I have seen way too many instances of cops abusing their "power". Kind of sickening. But there are good ones out there.

Oh no! It's a well known fact that I just made up! Android owners are all criminals and even if they're not currently involved in a felony, it's only a moment or two away so they may as well be arrested. :D

Luckily I still own a Voyager LOL good ole dumb phones.

I'd also love an app that pinpoints the location of all highway patrol cars. :)

Hey, why do we still say we're "taping" something anyhow? Tapes are so 19th century.

Hey, why do we still say we're "taping" something anyhow? Tapes are so 19th century.

It's one of those terms, like "rule of thumb". In coming years few will remember tapes, but I would wager that the verb "taping" will still be used, though few will know the etymology of the term a century from now, just as few know that "rule of thumb" was from old English law regarding the size of the switch one could use to beat their wife.

One need only start voice recorder and stick the phone back in it's holster or pocket. It will still record well enough most of the time. If you have your blue tooth headset on, it will record even better.

It's one of those terms, like "rule of thumb". In coming years few will remember tapes, but I would wager that the verb "taping" will still be used, though few will know the etymology of the term a century from now, just as few know that "rule of thumb" was from old English law regarding the size of the switch one could use to beat their wife.

One need only start voice recorder and stick the phone back in it's holster or pocket. It will still record well enough most of the time. If you have your blue tooth headset on, it will record even better.

You're from the 19th century aren't you? o_O

I guess it makes sense, but still...we should just call it recording, but that's sorta got roots in even older technologies like *gasp* records which were in use before we invented horses to drive around on.

I installed it, clicked record audio, waited a minute, stopped it, clicked play audio, app crashed. Just saying, it needs polishing.

http://privateofficernews.wordpress...ver-bogus-k-9-program-www-privateofficer-com/

LAS VEGAS NV June 27 2012 – A group of Nevada Highway Patrol troopers and a retired police sergeant have filed a racketeering complaint against the NHP and Las Vegas Metro Police in U.S. District Court.

The complaint alleges that after then-Gov. Jim Gibbons approved a K-9 program to target drug runners on Nevada’s highways, Nevada Highway Patrol Commander Chris Perry intentionally undermined the program.

The complaint alleges that the drug-sniffing dogs used by troopers in the program were intentionally being trained to operate as so-called trick ponies, or dogs that provide officers false alerts for the presence of drugs.

The dogs were being trained to alert their handlers by cues, instead of by picking up a drug’s scent by sniffing, the complaint said. When a dog gives a false alert, this resulted in illegal searches and seizures, including money and property, the complaint said.

The 103-page complaint alleges that Perry, along with others, used the K-9s to undermine the program to systematically conduct illegal searches and seizures for financial benefit.

The complaint also alleges the defendants, which also includes the state’s Public Safety Department and individuals in NHP and Metro, were involved in a Federal RICO conspiracy, also known as the Federal Racketeer Influence and Corrupt Organizations Act.

NHP, Metro and the state have not returned calls from 8 News NOW for comment.

Allegations also include corruption, abuse of office and official cover ups

doesnt the law state that the party has to be informed they are being recorded or it isnt usable or some crap?

The chick that wrote the linked article is named Elinor...who the hell names their kid Elinor this day and age?

Anyways, I'm not worried about the police. I'll tell them straight up that you're being recorded and to watch their mouths before I slap them with the law.

Remember, keep it real [H]!

Because as anyone who knows stuff knows, you should back up the stuff you really want to tape backup. So it's like a shorthand term for "hey I am going to get this digital video and put it on tape back up"...

thank about it. Tapes are more secure. Thief breaks in... Who would steal a tape backup drive? Exactly...:p

Anyways, I'm not worried about the police. I'll tell them straight up that you're being recorded and to watch their mouths before I slap them with the law.

LOL, let us know how the first encounter you use this strategy in turns out for you.
(We will probably never hear back from him if he does try it).

doesnt the law state that the party has to be informed they are being recorded or it isnt usable or some crap?

That would be phone conversations and even that varies from state to state.

What is being discussed is the following:

SCOTUS Ruling said:
Gathering information about government officials in a form that can readily be disseminated to others serves a cardinal First Amendment interest in protecting and promoting "the free discussion of governmental affairs."

http://www.universalhub.com/2011/court-says-state-law-banning-recording-police-offi

It really doesn't matter whether it is "legal or not". All you need to do is make sure the offending incident gets seen (heard). Once that happens the court of public opinion will general sway the DA because he realizes his "political career" (e.g. someday I want to be a judge) is at stake.

It's 100% legal due to the fact that public official deserves scrutiny in their actions. Police officers and other public officials who act or think otherwise are violating their responsibilities to the taxpayers.

Some of the reviews are hilarious. "This will only be popular with the tea party and concealed carry crowd."

Yes, that huge concealed carry crowd in NJ. All ten of them... or is that too generous of a number?

Because as anyone who knows stuff knows, you should back up the stuff you really want to tape backup. So it's like a shorthand term for "hey I am going to get this digital video and put it on tape back up"...

thank about it. Tapes are more secure. Thief breaks in... Who would steal a tape backup drive? Exactly...:p

Who even has a working tape drive anymore? :eek:

in NJ if you are pulled over and your phone is unlocked, the police will go through your calls, texts, and contacts.

The chick that wrote the linked article is named Elinor...who the hell names their kid Elinor this day and age?

What's wrong with Elinor as a name? It's not the usual stuff you hear these days.

I use data tape loops as RAM. Beats mecury delay lines.

Yeah, but will it run Crysis? :p

A lot of small businesses uses it ie http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powervault-tape-drives There's even the digital camera business which a lot still use DVCPro tapes and DAT's.

No! I refuse to believe factual data that calls my unjustified opinion into question! *sticks fingers in ears* Lalalalalalalalalala! I can't heeear you!!! Lalalalala!

You're from the 19th century aren't you? o_O

To clarify, the "century" is always 1 more then the century it refers to. So for instance we are in the 21st century, but the number is 20xx. Likewise most of us were born in the 1900's thus we are from the 20th century.

And remember, according to supreme court, when an officer sits on the side of the road and gives you a "penalty" for speeding, it is in fact a tax.

Why do we still "dial" a phone number?
Why is that button on your cd/dvd/blu-ray/media player labeled as "Rewind"?
How are we "rolling up/down" our car windows if the only thing we're doing is pressing a button?
Did you know that CC: in your email program stands for "carbon copy"?

And what's that funny looking square icon that supposedly indicates saving your file?

To clarify, the "century" is always 1 more then the century it refers to. So for instance we are in the 21st century, but the number is 20xx. Likewise most of us were born in the 1900's thus we are from the 20th century.

And remember, according to supreme court, when an officer sits on the side of the road and gives you a "penalty" for speeding, it is in fact a tax.

Yeah, I know that, but we're talking about tape drives and those are indeed from the 1800s along with the invention of the horse and the idea of burning stuff to heat your home.

Why do we still "dial" a phone number?

Because you still have to send tone signals up a wire to tell the system who you want to talk to.

Why is that button on your cd/dvd/blu-ray/media player labeled as "Rewind"?

People have optical meda still?!

How are we "rolling up/down" our car windows if the only thing we're doing is pressing a button?

I dunno were you're from, but I still hafta use my arm to roll my windows up and down on my car.

Did you know that CC: in your email program stands for "carbon copy"?

Lots of people call it a courtsey copy so the people that still speak of this carbonite of yours might be Hahn Solo fetishists.

And what's that funny looking square icon that supposedly indicates saving your file?

Read signature block and look up the model...mine still has a working floppy drive in it. In fact, I have pictures! :p

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5861/presarus.jpg

Back