Ack! My system is LOUD. Help needed (Lian Li PC65 / Antec Truepower 480)

bnason

n00b
So, I put my comp. together last night:

Lian Li PC-65B (4 stock case fans)
Antec TruePower 480 (2 fans)
Asus 9800xt (2 stock fans)
A64/3200+ (stock HSF)

This things sounds like an angry vaccuum cleaner. I did install my PSU upside down (I'm not joking... the internal fan - ie., not the one in back of the case, but on top of the PSU). It's pointing up into the top of the case, instead of down. I thought that maybe this was the cause of all the noise, except the PSU fans sound quiet... most of the noise seems to be coming from inside the case -- ie., maybe the HSF or the rear chasis fan.

Any thoughts on how to reduce noice? I love my new system, but it hurts my ears! FYI, this is my first case build, so any help / tips are appreciated.

Originally posted by bnason
So, I put my comp. together last night:

Lian Li PC-65B (4 stock case fans)
Antec TruePower 480 (2 fans)
Asus 9800xt (2 stock fans)
A64/3200+ (stock HSF)

This things sounds like an angry vaccuum cleaner. I did install my PSU upside down (I'm not joking... the internal fan - ie., not the one in back of the case, but on top of the PSU). It's pointing up into the top of the case, instead of down. I thought that maybe this was the cause of all the noise, except the PSU fans sound quiet... most of the noise seems to be coming from inside the case -- ie., maybe the HSF or the rear chasis fan.

Any thoughts on how to reduce noice? I love my new system, but it hurts my ears! FYI, this is my first case build, so any help / tips are appreciated.

Never install your PSU upside down :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you want to kill your PSU? It isn´t designed to be installed up side down. And it solves no purpose either. Now you have a fan on top that suck in air and then the air get sucked out by the other Antec FAN. Whereas none really helps to get rid of heat in the case.

So both for safety and cooling performance and warranty issues install the PSU the way it´s meant to be installed.

Well, I realized after I got it in that I had put it in with the fan pointed up on the top of the PSU. Only problem is, because of the fan grill on top of the PSU, I can't get it back out through the back of the PC (the fan grill gets stuck on the PSU cage). And, I can't push it through the inside of the case, as the top chassis fan prevents the PSU from getting through. While I could cut away at the case, the thought horrifies me!

Will it truly do a lot of damage, etc., having the fan pointed up, not down into the case?

And, additionally, would that be responsible for the loud ambient fan noise? Or is that probably the rear chassis or HSF?

I agree with oqvist. Flip the PSU over. Pull out whatever you have to.

As for noise, I would say that the case fans are the first culprit, followed closely by the HSF. I could be wrong about the case fans as I have no idea what Lian Li provides, but I'd be willing to bet you could find more quiet fans. An aftermarket HSF could provide you with better cooling and less noise. However, I can't make any recommendations because I have no experience with the A64 chips, .

Well, im using the stock lian li fans, a true 430, and a cnps7000-alcu and my computer is prety damn quiet. If i had to be id say its eaither the messed up fan ( i had to take off the fan grill to get the psu in than put it back on once in) or the 9800XT

Originally posted by dewhite
I vote 9800xt...

My 550 W Antec Truepower isn´t exact quiet either.

But your PSUs internal fan so to speak. If it´s very close to the top of the case it can cause a lot of turbulence and thus noise. And if you got it in you can get it out ;) Are you sure you cant just untighten the hole backplate of your chassi and get the CPU out that way?

CPU out that way... ! :p Seriously tho', I think I can probably take the top chassis fan out and fix my PSU problem.

I do notice that initially, right after booting up for the first few minutes, it's pretty quiet. Then after awhile, it turns into the beast it is. I'll try the PSU first and see how that helps out; if that doesn't work, maybe it's the stock HSF on the CPU? Or could the 9800 XT really be that loud?

You're using the stock AMD heatsink?? :eek: You disrespect your A64 :p

I'd say the most likely culprit is that CPU hsf.

what's a good socket 754 heatsink fan?

and, is uninstalling a hsf as simple as taking the old one out, wiping off the thermal grease, and putting the new one on?

Originally posted by bnason
CPU out that way... ! :p Seriously tho', I think I can probably take the top chassis fan out and fix my PSU problem.

I do notice that initially, right after booting up for the first few minutes, it's pretty quiet. Then after awhile, it turns into the beast it is. I'll try the PSU first and see how that helps out; if that doesn't work, maybe it's the stock HSF on the CPU? Or could the 9800 XT really be that loud?

I meant of course PSU out ;)

i dont see how installing your PSU upside would make a difference. I have my Enermax 430 installed upside down because i dont have a fan cutout on my PC-70 and the PSU wouldnt sit right.

Originally posted by p0lish
i dont see how installing your PSU upside would make a difference. I have my Enermax 430 installed upside down because i dont have a fan cutout on my PC-70 and the PSU wouldnt sit right.

Well the internal fan that is underneith your PSU can malfunction if they are installed upside down depending on type of fan. It´s lifespan can be significantly shortened. +the fact your PSU won´t get as good cooling as it would otherwise.

Have you considered it could be your hard drives? I have a PC61, and the stock fans are pretty quiet, so I don't think it could be the case fans.

You noted that it started out quiet, but gets louder as the system warms up. Since the two fans in the Antec power supply (and any connected to the "fan only" headers) are thermostatically controlled, my guess is the power supply is getting very warm due to the intake fan being pointed up, and therefore unable to move any air into the power supply. You really need to flip that power supply. You got it in there, find a way to get it out.

Well, I managed to get it out. I literally had to PRY it out with a flat bladed screwdriver. Funny thing is, when installed the right way, it just slid in...

:eek:

Pretty supid of me. Anyway, when I power up (I'm on laptop now), I'll let everyone know how the sound works.

Back