Ack-its-lame... I mean, Acclaim going under

Saist

Limp Gawd
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page....me=pub&aid=4061

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page....me=pub&aid=4064

Probably other linkups with more data out there... but it appears that Acclaim employees are now going without pay and that some have been locked out of their studios.

Honestly though... given the normal "quality" of the Acclaim developed or published title... not to mention the outrageous and often... how shall we say... undignified, sloppy, disgusting, revolting... promotions put on by Acclaim.... is there any real surprise that Acclaim is going under?

to get on my own high horse for a minute... Eidos and Acclaim were two of the better known publishers/dev owners that made headlines for pulling out of the Gamecube... yet... for all intents and purposes these publishers/devs who are pulling out citing lack of market...

Hello? Did it ever occur to any of them that their games and products were not selling on other systems as well? Did it ever occur to them to actually put out a product a Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, PC, GBA or whatever owner actually WANTED to have?

Looking back, I'm pretty sure such a thought never occured.

At this point, with talks of takeovers flying about and more and more closed doors... when is it going to occur to publishers and dev's to make new games... not just the same old mish-mash with a new title.

(pre-orders DS and hopes some devs figure out how to use the system as more than a portable SNES)
(pre-orders PSP and hopes some devs figure out how to remake PSX titles with a system that can present the game)

How much you wanna bet that neither will happen...

*sighs and gets off high horse and puts it back into the stable*

This rant brought to you by citizens for not the same old thing (CiFNTSOT) and your local chapter of People for Better Entertainment (PBE)

I was going to question whether I had been interested in any of their titles over the last few years, but the I saw that they are handling The Red Star. I can't wait for that one, hopefully this news won't affect it's release at all.

First sign a publisher is in trouble is when all their games rely on T&A rather than gameplay.

Acclaim...last good game I remember from them was Turok for the N64.
No big loss anyway. None of the games I'm waiting for have been cancelled because of it. ;)

Back