Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Not sure what seller would honor that policy over a few dead pixels, i don't recall any but someone else here may be able to vouch for one (?)

So squaretrade exclusively works if the monitor flat out dies? Or has a ton of dead pixels? Doesn't cover contrast/bleed I assume.. Just want to know before I order.

Last edited:
sorry to bump a older thread... seems my crossover.. is dead.. was using last night.. just went black..didnt buy a squaredeal warranty.. and not clear when I ordered this... but I'm thinking.. I'm just straight out of luck ?

sorry to bump a older thread... seems my crossover.. is dead.. was using last night.. just went black..didnt buy a squaredeal warranty.. and not clear when I ordered this... but I'm thinking.. I'm just straight out of luck ?

oh wow, that really sucks big ones man. how much is the squaredeal warranties for one of these? going to pull the trigger on a korean any day now and it's starting to sound like insurance is going to be a must now

also sweet setup krazypoloc! I'm daydreaming picturing those sexy triplets touching with their bezels off

Last edited:
Take it apart, reseat all of the internal cables, then test.

If it still doesn't work, then you probably need a new power brick, or one of the internal pcb's needs to be swapped out. The prices are not too high so it would be cost effective to do so. You may have to contact your seller for a PCB (if that is the problem).

I would dig a little further back in this thread to see if other crossover owners had the same problem. I would also post and do thread searches at OC.net: http://www.overclock.net/f/44/monitors-and-displays

oh wow, that really sucks big ones man. how much is the squaredeal warranties for one of these?
Around $50, you may need a Squaretrade coupon for that price (google).

The Yamakasi Catleap and Achieva Shimian are the most proven models by the way. Variance is a possibility but they seem to have the highest out-of-the-box contrast too. I would stick with them, around $290-$320 shipped.

I also recommend using any UPS or similar that specifically states "AVR Auto-Voltage-Regulation" since flaky power is often what fries sensitive electronics, it's cheap insurance that works.

Last edited:
Where are you guys finding these for 300 bucks? I remember looking around like a month ago and they were all selling for around 300. Now they're all around 400 bucks. Is demand outpacing supply for these things? I was ready to buy another at 300 but now i'm reconsidering...

Where are you guys finding these for 300 bucks? I remember looking around like a month ago and they were all selling for around 300. Now they're all around 400 bucks. Is demand outpacing supply for these things? I was ready to buy another at 300 but now i'm reconsidering...
One good search term to use is 2560x1440. Then you would sort your results by price.

Hi all I'm a little confused I'm interested in buying one of these monitors and was wondering if it could be driven by my ati 5970. If you read this add it says no, but yes to a much less powerful card, the 5830. Any clarity in this matter will be helpful as I'm looking to purchase something asap. My beloved sony fw900 went all blurry I put it in the repair shop and though I'm optimistic I'm not that hopeful so this is plan B.

TIA; Menace

Hi all I'm a little confused I'm interested in buying one of these monitors and was wondering if it could be driven by my ati 5970. If you read this add it says no, but yes to a much less powerful card, the 5830. Any clarity in this matter will be helpful as I'm looking to purchase something asap. My beloved sony fw900 went all blurry I put it in the repair shop and though I'm optimistic I'm not that hopeful so this is plan B.

TIA; Menace

It can.

Whatever graphic that says it doesn't work is mistaken.

So my HD 5850 should work even though it's listed as 'NO' in the ad for compatibility?

Thinking about picking up the QH270-Lite
Correct, it will work. The reason why certain cards are listed as not supported is that there's a chance you will not see the bios/post screens during boot-up. But after that windows will load just fine.

I just bought one of these for my brother, he is having a problem with text anyone know what setting this is, adjusting dpi and clear type we cant seem to fix it.

qnixlcd.jpg

Any ideas? Its on an older destop with a radeon 4200, windows 7

What's the most cost-effective adapter to connect a new Mac Mini to one of these monitors?

Apple makes a dual-link DVI adapter, but it's $100 and doesn't get good reviews. Is it just not a reliable solution regardless of what adapter is used?

An interesting thing we discovered, if we take a screen shot, the screen shot looks fine, so I guess that means the information in the video buffer is good, something is happening down stream? But it does not explain well why lines or things drawn in paint dont look bad. We do have a dual link dvi cable that came with the monitor.

What's the most cost-effective adapter to connect a new Mac Mini to one of these monitors?

Apple makes a dual-link DVI adapter, but it's $100 and doesn't get good reviews. Is it just not a reliable solution regardless of what adapter is used?
Monoprice to the rescue "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables":
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246#1024604
The connection looks to be DVI-D connectors.

We do have a dual link dvi cable that came with the monitor.
Is that the cable that you're using? If so then chances are good that it's a bad cable or the video card is at fault.
You can get a decent 6 foot DVI-D cable from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2408&seq=1&format=2
It's cheap enough that you can easily try the cable before a video card (if you don't have a spare video card to test with first that is).

An interesting thing we discovered, if we take a screen shot, the screen shot looks fine, so I guess that means the information in the video buffer is good, something is happening down stream? But it does not explain well why lines or things drawn in paint dont look bad. We do have a dual link dvi cable that came with the monitor.

Are you sure the video card is capable of the native resolution? To me it looks like pixel interpolation, due to a lower resolution being output to the monitor and then the monitor provides image scaling.

Guys I want to buy my first of these monitors, my budget is about 300ish, which brand/seller do you guys recommend?

Crap! That's right... Though it might still be worth a go.

They aren't, unfortunately. The physical connection is not the same when converting DP->DL-DVI. It would be like trying to drive a Dual link signal out of a single link port.

I'm guessing this has been answered already, but how do I go about checking to see if I can overclock my achieva?

I was one of the earlier adopters of these monitors.. bought 3 last spring..

1 is dead within 4 months (pcb problem)
1 is dying within 6 months (pcb problem)
1 still works fine

will i buy another? Nope!

I contacted my seller after 6 months.. he offered me a $10 discount to buy another one or two.. said his margins were real tight.. yeah OK I bought mine for $275 and now they are at ~$400.. $10 off? LOLOLOLOLOL

1 still works fine

Blue PCB? What seller?

They aren't, unfortunately. The physical connection is not the same when converting DP->DL-DVI. It would be like trying to drive a Dual link signal out of a single link port.

Does this mean I'm not getting true/native 2560x1440 if I use a DP->DL-DVI active adapter? (as in, is the active adapter upscaling it?)

I just got my achieva shimian and mine has a problem that I cant seem to figure out,
Everything looks great and have no stuck pixels
BUT on the bottom of the screen there is a line id say 2 pixels high that goes all the way from left to right , the line is showing what would be at the top of the screen.

Its wrapping the image from the top and putting it on the bottom , but i am not missing anything on the top of the screen at all (i can move mouse cursor to top edge of screen and see all of it on the top of the screen. but also see the tip of it on the bottom of screen)
(Does it in bios even)

like with a window full sized i can see the top of the window open (can see red x close window button and tabs ect.) on the very bottom of my screen in the 2 pixel high line .

Sorry for writing the same description three different times lol. Hard to explain and screen capture doesnt show it happening.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know if its possible to fix?

Last edited:
Guys I want to buy my first of these monitors, my budget is about 300ish, which brand/seller do you guys recommend?
A few new models were released but were not tested and may have low contrast or other peculiarities.

Stick with the Achieva Shimian and Yamakasi Catleap (if the catleap is still available). Search Ebay using the term 2560x1440, then sort your results by price. That way you should find an Achieva Shimian in your pricerange. As for sellers, ignore Red_Cap's personal 1 year warranty he offers because he will not honor it.

I recommend getting the $50 Squaretrade 3yr warranty, this way you are not left in the lurch if the monitor breaks within that time frame. Slight overkill but another thing to consider is a UPS with AVR (auto voltage regulation) which would feed it clean voltage to help keep it alive longer. The UPS could be shared with other electonics too btw.

1 still works fine

I contacted my seller after 6 months.. he offered me a $10 discount to buy another one or two.. said his margins were real tight.. yeah OK I bought mine for $275 and now they are at ~$400.. $10 off? LOLOLOLOLOL
Look back a month or two in this thread for related PCB info, they have been updated and you can get them replaced. There's a chance that your seller is carrying them, or some other merchant may be offering them.

Not that you are interested in buying one, but the Achieva Shimians are still going for $300-$320, the new releases have the upgraded PCB's in them already.

Got ya. Do you have any more details on this?

I ask because the DVI connection on that cable I linked earlier has what looks to be a dual link dvi connection. If what you say is true I'll be sure to pass along the info in the future.

I ask because the DVI connection on that cable I linked earlier has what looks to be a dual link dvi connection. If what you say is true I'll be sure to pass along the info in the future.

The M-DP to DVI connections that Monoprice has are all single link DVI and will be capped at 1200P.

Those passive adapters only work on DP++ ports (most DP should be of that type now). The limitation of the DP++ port is that while a passive adapter can be used, it is limited to single-link DVI. See here.
wikipedia said:
A notable limitation is that dual-mode can only transmit single-link DVI/HDMI, as the number of pins in the DisplayPort connector is insufficient for dual-link connections; an active converter is needed for Dual-Link DVI (and analog component video such as VGA, since it employs digital to analog conversion). Active conversion can be powered by +3.3 V wire in the DisplayPort

I'm looking at getting one of these monitors sometime after the holidays, and noticed that there now seem to be a bunch of cheap "Qnix QX2700" monitors - are these still the same panel as the achieva/catleap/crossover?

Well we cant afford to not go cheap on everything, besides the Korean panels are not really going cheap you guys have to think about it from multiple angles for alot of people, myself included I would never purchase a $1000+ monitor, at least not unless it also did games very well which none of the LCDs outside of 120hz models do. So you can look at it as I would either get some $150 TN panel or I can get a nice large IPS panel.

If you are doing something important you should be looking at pro models from EIZO NEC and the likes but for everyone else these things give you a very large increase in image quality over what most of us would have otherwise owned.

I'm looking at getting one of these monitors sometime after the holidays, and noticed that there now seem to be a bunch of cheap "Qnix QX2700" monitors - are these still the same panel as the achieva/catleap/crossover?

The IPS panel with a glossy finish and the speakers with a headphone jack?

No, thanks.

Back