Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I've had the monitor since the end of May. For the first 3 months, the unit worked great. For the last month or so, the screen would flicker when it came up from sleep mode. It would stop after a few minutes, so I didn't think twice about it. Yesterday, the unit wouldn't come back from sleep at all, but I knew it wasn't a PC issue as my secondary monitor came right up. After doing the usual troubleshooting steps with no luck, I did a quick Google search and I found the culprit - Bad LED Driver board. I proceeded to take apart the unit and sure enough my board was identical to this one here.

Looking at the replacement that the poster listed, it definitely looks more robust than the one that shipped with the monitor.

I have the tempered glass Shimian, there was a chunk of dirt under the glass bothering the hell out of me, i took the bezel off and finally god rid of the sucker.

Yesterday, the unit wouldn't come back from sleep at all, but I knew it wasn't a PC issue as my secondary monitor came right up. After doing the usual troubleshooting steps with no luck, I did a quick Google search and I found the culprit - Bad LED Driver board.

Crap. I've had mine since end of july, so I guess I'm not over the 'three months' yet. Guess it'll come as a fun yule present.

Was it easy to get to at least?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Last edited:
Crap. I've had mine since end of july, so I guess I'm not over the 'three months' yet. Guess it'll come as a fun yule present.

Was it easy to get to at least?

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The monitor is surprisingly easy to take apart. All I needed was a phillips head screw driver and about 10 minutes to remove the bad driver card. You may have lucked out and gotten one of the new revisions. So far, everyone that has burned out has the blue PCB like mine.

how are the input lags on these monitors? i just go a auria monitor from micro center, and it has enough lag that i notice it when gaming. the korean ones have the same lag?

The models that only have dual-link dvi ports have negligible lag since they lack scalers. High res displays with extra ports have 1 frame of input lag since they have onboard resolution scaling so that they can be used with external lower resolution devices like consoles.

If you like the Aurias image quality just turn down your controller/mouse sensitivity to a comfortable level and you should be ok.

Anyone tried this monitor with a ati 5970? Assume I wont see the BIOS and the boot screen.
Also can anyone say how it is playing FPS games such as counter strike?

Anyone tried this monitor with a ati 5970? Assume I wont see the BIOS and the boot screen.
Also can anyone say how it is playing FPS games such as counter strike?

IDK about the BIOS with that card.

This monitor has the least lag from any monitor I have ever seen in person.

I am getting pretty annoyed with the sellers.

I contacted DHsummer asking if they have the monitor in stock, I was told that it was, and made an immediate purchase for $285. 1 WEEK later, I get a response saying "we dont have them in stock, and you will have to wait until wednesday (tomorrow) before shipping.

I was pissed, so I contacted red-cap. Same thing. I ask if it's available, they(he?) said it would ship that night. I paid $305 and asked for immediate shipping. Not a friggin word from him/them. No apparent shipping (no ebay notifications say so).

What the hell is going on?

Right now I have over $500 invested in a monitor and have NO IDEA what's going on. I told both sellers that if I don't have a confirmed shipping tonight, I will cancel my order. I already told DH summer to either cancel my order or give me a discount (Why on earth would I pay $285 to get it weeks later than a guy who pays $285 and gets it within a week?), and haven't heard a thing.

I know it's 9am in korea, so I should have some kind of answer within the hour, if not... I am going to go rampage gangnam style.

Well it's been resolved. I end up paying $20 more for the same monitor, but at least I know it's being shipped by red-cap. Dhsummer apologized, but I need a monitor to work, so I have to go with the one who replied first (and I am a cheap bastard, so paying $20 more for the same thing really gets on my nerves lol).

Hey you guys. I'm in need of some expertise regarding the Yamakasi Catleap 2703 version of this monitor. Do any of you happen to know what panel it uses? I think it's an LG LM270WQ1 (ie. the same ad in all the other Catleaps) but I'm not certain.

My monitor is up and running once again. Accessories Whole overnighted me a new PCB.

I'm not sure, It just states on every ebay seller that this ATI video card, 5870, and couple of others are not supported. But searching around on the forums it seems people have no problems except BIOS not coming on screen

Mine did the exact same thing 10 seconds after unboxing. After 2 weeks of struggling with Greensum they took back. Of course DHL picked it up yesterday and left me with no tracking number...so now I got no monitor and no proof that I returned it.

We'll see what happens I guess. Greensum was a real pain to deal with. Claimed they didn't have pictures that I sent. I escalated to ebay - right away they had pictures - just didn't realize they had to scroll down to see attachments. (Seriously?)

I'll try my luck again once/if I am refunded. Just not with Greensum.

Last edited:
Mine did the exact same thing 10 seconds after unboxing. After 2 weeks of struggling with Greensum they took back. Of course DHL picked it up yesterday and left me with no tracking number...so now I got no monitor and no proof that I returned it.

We'll see what happens I guess. Greensum was a real pain to deal with. Claimed they didn't have pictures that I sent. I escalated to ebay - right away they had pictures - just didn't realize they had to scroll down to see attachments. (Seriously?)

I'll try my luck again once/if I am refunded. Just not with Greensum.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that any of the others are any better to deal with.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that any of the others are any better to deal with.
Pretty much this...

All that I've read it's luck of the draw no matter who you go with. From the research i've done AccessoriesWhole and maybe redcap are the two best ones out there. Then again they allllll have at least one person that's had issues with them.

Okay so I got my monitor yesterday. So far, so good. One thing I did notice was that there is quite a bit of back light bleed at full brightness. I was watching a movie and it was pretty prominent from my bed. How much backlight bleed is considered "good" vs "defective/return"?

IziO3.jpg

This is mine, full brightness in a dark room.

Honestly, I think what you have there is "normal". Not ideal but not worth the hassle of returning it (even if you could just drive it to a store). The next one could be worse and have dead/bright pixels.

Okay so I got my monitor yesterday. So far, so good. One thing I did notice was that there is quite a bit of back light bleed at full brightness.

This is mine, full brightness in a dark room.

Full brightness on any screen, especially LED backlit ones, is typically ridiculously bright and exacerbates backlight bleed making it "flare" in my experience. I don't have a Korean one, but if its anything like any of the monitors I've owned - I don't know how you can stand full brightness at all, let alone in a dark room where it would look even brighter. I would turn it way down, to like 40% for starters, and tweak the rest of your settings.

Last edited:
Well I do that. I was just using full brightness to "test" it.

Glad it's considered normal, was kinda worried I might of had a bad one.

Honestly, there is nothing off about these panels. I didn't even notice the bleed until it was very dark and I was watching a darker movie on full brightness as a test.

Honestly, there is nothing off about these panels. I didn't even notice the bleed until it was very dark and I was watching a darker movie on full brightness as a test.

Mine looks like same along the top. It's not noticable if I keep the brightness at about half.

any PWM flicker on lower brightness on these models?
Not on my base model Catleap.

Mine looks like same along the top. It's not noticable if I keep the brightness at about half.
Mine had a little bleed in the usual lower right corner, i carefully flexed that corner backwards a couple of times and it's nearly disappeared.

hey guys just a quick question is this(yamakasi) the exact panel found in the thunderbolt 27" display? same contrast brightness performance ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/the-apple-thunderbolt-display-review/6 ) ?
That gets a similar answer as the one i gave you in your other thread ;)

Same raw LG panel but different videoboard and maybe a different style LED backlight. So technically the answer is both yes and no, especially since the videoboard is so important. Contrast and Brightness performance is heavily affected by the videoboard and the firmware it has programmed into it.

There really isn't a simple answer to those questions unfortunately.

Last edited:
any PWM flicker on lower brightness on these models?
Shiminan review on Prad shows no PWM on the other hand it doesent dim properly.
Crossover review at overclockers.ru says its PWM free.
Mr Pixel's Catleap have some wierd harmonic dimming thing going on that was alright.
TFTcentral found a DGM model to be PWM free.

ANNNNNNNND I just scratched my monitor, kinda looking to buy a new one. Those seems hot, but there are so many variant, witch to pick up guys? i'm mainly gaming so being able to OC the refresh rate would be cool. Witch to get?

ANNNNNNNND I just scratched my monitor, kinda looking to buy a new one. Those seems hot, but there are so many variant, witch to pick up guys? i'm mainly gaming so being able to OC the refresh rate would be cool. Witch to get?
For the overclockable ones you can check Overlord computer and 120hz.net.

Otherwise the rest of us have been buying the least expensive Yamakasi Catleap and Achieva Shimian on Ebay. These base models have no scaler and thus the lowest input lag, less than 1/2 frame.

To find the base models i'm talking about, go to Ebay and plug in a search for "2560x1440" then sort your results by price. You'll see the base models for between $285-$300 shipped. They are all glossy panels.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For the overclockable ones you can check Overlord computer and 120hz.net.

Otherwise the rest of us have been buying the least expensive Yamakasi Catleap and Achieva Shimian on Ebay. These base models have no scaler and thus the lowest input lag, less than 1/2 frame.

To find the base models i'm talking about, go to Ebay and plug in a search for "2560x1440" then sort your results by price. You'll see the base models for between $285-$300 shipped. They are all glossy panels.

their are all the same basically? except the bezel and the stand?

edit: worth paying the premium for oc refresh rate?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
their are all the same basically? except the bezel and the stand?

edit: worth paying the premium for oc refresh rate?
The panels are the same, but the video boards are different on most of them, and as mentioned prior the videoboards are a very important part, but the Shimian and Catleap results seem to be close enough regardless.

Is the premium worth it for oc? I'd say it is, the ones with the higher refresh rates get a lot of positive press and a dream come true for many, if they were available when i was in the market i would have bought it in a heartbeat. It was available at that time, sorta, but it was a videoboard lottery which i lost. I ended up with the base model Catleap Rev. 2C and i've been extremely happy with it. The overclockable ones have the Rev. 2B videoboard btw.

Last edited:
The video board is also from LG. :D

the video board maybe from LG, but the blue-PCB LED driving board that goes nuke most certainly is chinese:mad:

Shimian prices are on a continous rise on ebay. time for some entrepeneur 100-500 units and start cutting profits on these sellers. i had to cancel my IPSB after the seller refused to honor the listed free shippping to Brazil and insisted charging USD50 EXTRA, even when his "free shipping" was actually USD40 above the market price.

I bought the Crossover...have had it for.. hmm.. 6 months or something.. Im still loving lit! super deal imho!

the video board maybe from LG, but the blue-PCB LED driving board that goes nuke most certainly is chinese:mad:

Shimian prices are on a continous rise on ebay. time for some entrepeneur 100-500 units and start cutting profits on these sellers. i had to cancel my IPSB after the seller refused to honor the listed free shippping to Brazil and insisted charging USD50 EXTRA, even when his "free shipping" was actually USD40 above the market price.

hope for the best i guess. the prices can rise only for so long... competition always is a corner away. let the sharks eat each other while we clap for them :D

the korean monitors i thought were using LM270WQ1 panel which is an h-ips panel but the ebay sellers are advertising the monitors as s-ips.

whats the deal here?

Just a reminder to not buy from red-cap
Despite having a warranty, my screen died and red-cap messaged back and forth for months via ebay messages. Lots of questions with long delays between responses, discussions about getting a new screen so he could send it etc. Didnt realize that he was fucking me until it went past paypal dispute window, then he went silent. Took my money and ran. Once your past that dispute window, you have zero recourse.

So, if your screen screws up, open a dispute right away.

Shimians look the same price to me as in May: ~$300.
For the base models they used to have a few sellers at $280 shipped, they've since gone up to $285. Some of the other sellers,or other models, may have increased prices but the bottom end is holding steady imho.

The way i check prices is to search for "2560x1440" then sorting my results by price. And don't purchase anything from the conniving seller known as Red Cap ;)

Just a reminder to not buy from red-cap
Despite having a warranty, my screen died and red-cap messaged back and forth for months via ebay messages. Lots of questions with long delays between responses, discussions about getting a new screen so he could send it etc. Didnt realize that he was fucking me until it went past paypal dispute window, then he went silent. Took my money and ran. Once your past that dispute window, you have zero recourse.

So, if your screen screws up, open a dispute right away.
Sorry to hear that Droc, and thank you for the heads up. I'll try to remember to steer everyone away from Red Cap. Maybe he needs to find out about the negative press he's going to be receiving in forums, maybe i'll have to inform him myself as a prospective customer.

In the meantime, i don't recall your monitor's exact issue, but is there any way you can get your hands on an inexpensive replacement part? If you refresh my memory i'd be more than happy to lend a hand with an online search. Otherwise i'll check your previous posts in a short while.

Last edited:
Back