Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

DVI Cons:

- Enormous plug. Larger than anything since old printer cables.

- 5 different implementations of DVI: Single link DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I, as well as Dual-Link DVI-D and DVI-I. This is immensely confusing to many people who only know "Its DVI", especially since there is substantial ambiguity on how the connectors are made. A port that LOOKS like Dual-Link DVI-I (aka all the holes) might only support Single Link DVI-I. Or a Dual-link DVI-I cable might not plug into a Dual-Link DVI-D port, due to missing holes.

- The connector is simply out of date. It has bendable pins, which obviously can ruin the entire cable, and it is difficult to plug in blind (eg. behind a PC which you can reach but not see). Plus you have to screw it in :/

- Uses 2 data channels. This restricts the amount of DVI-outs a graphics card can have. I don't know for Nvidia, but AMD 7000 series cards have a max of 6 data output channels, so you can't have 2 DL-DVI, 2 mDP, 1 HDMI, for example. However, you CAN have 6 Displayport/HDMI outs since they only take 1 channel each.

- No defined Maximum Bandwidth. As such, you DO NOT KNOW what your cable will support because there is no standard max. Also, this leads to interesting situations with drivers. Nvidia recently capped their Dual-Link DVI outputs to 330Mhz pixel clock via drivers. Before that, we hadn't found a max. However, Nvidia can do this because their is no "max" they have to meet. AMD cards are similar, although depending on the series there were (and are) different ways of working around this.

All that said, I'm well aware that DVI is pretty functional for most people. I just think it's an old, outdated standard that needs to be done away with. I'm sure I've overlooked a few things though.

lol but half your reasons can just as easily be seen as pros or do not hold water considering the reality of other standards.

There are multiple different itterations or HDMI and DP too, ask all the people who had to upgrade to get 3D functionality, do you want to pass ethernet over HDMI? Yep you will need a different cord and good luck if you expect all your devices will support that. So how is that any different than DVI? They just traded one standard for another, in all honesty we only gained one thing from HDMI, that was passing audio, because nothing else like ethernet ever took off and it confuses the heck out of customers since most dont even know what all the different standards mean.

Dont forget to throw out your $500 reciever and buy a new one as well as TV when neither support 3D and then when you replace them you realize your cable might not either and you have no way at all to tell from looking at it unlike DVI.

You say you HAVE TO screw dvi in? No you dont you can opt not to I say you have the most useful option too screw it in because I have had plenty of hard to reach HDMI cables slip out and that never would have happened with a positive retention system.

There is no top end standard? Well that open ended nature turned out pretty well since nearly all of use running large monitors or high frequency monitors are thanking DVI for giving us an option to use our existing capable devices to drive these displays instead of being forced to upgrade to HDMI (oh wait that cant handle it) or display port.

Simply put you might freak out because a DVI port is large but they built the standard far better than the idiots who are doing HDMI or DP. They built it to handle flow and have immense backwards and forward compatibility. In 2012 your fancy brand new state of the art GTX 680 will ship with 2 DVI ports, and there is a reason for that because the people who made HDMI, and DP are morons.

I

Most of what you're talking crap about is HDMI, which has proven to be a weak interface. I much prefer and advocate for DP as it is an open interface method, cables are compatible across generations, and on the whole, it just works. If adoption of DP was faster I think we'd all be better off for the push.

In 2012 your fancy brand new state of the art GTX 680 will ship with 2 DVI ports, and there is a reason for that because the people who made HDMI, and DP are morons.

I

And the people who made DVI? They abandoned it more than TEN years ago.

A simple post about a cheap korean monitor made from rejected LG panels becomes a debate about the cons of DVI.

You're the one who brought up DVI....

-costs are everything. If we want to have the cheapest possible working monitor, resorting to an old, oudated stantard that works without problems is almost mandatory

I, for one, don't want the cheapest possible working monitor. I want a quality monitor that has the inputs that I need - chief among them, DisplayPort. Because my laptop can't drive a 1440p over DVI; but it sure can over DisplayPort. How many laptops have DL-DVI? I doubt you'd find more than a handful over SandyBridge or IvyBridge models. If even that.

-If AMD cards have 6 data channels, it can manage 3 x DL-DVI outputs, or AMD should provide free mDP to DL-DVI active adapters. Or watch the uers move to NVIDIA, where 2 US$110 GTX 650 can handle 4 of these DL-DVI monitors, a dream for stock market users.
Or watch them use 2x eyefinity cards to drive 12, 30" 2560x1600 monitors. Ain't that the dream, eh? The vast majority of 1440p monitors include DisplayPort as a native input; and stock market traders aren't gonna be using these cheap korean ones that don't have DisplayPort.

That is what is so amazing about DVI, they abandoned it, but its still better than what has not been abandoned. Really it speaks to the total incompetence of the newer standards, nothing drives that home more than your statement.

DP is not the answer. Even the old biggest proponent of DP has already pushed on, Apple to thunderbolt. Its penetration is spotty at best. Just skip right to the next standard so we dont need to waste time moving from HDMI, to DP, then thunderbolt or w/e. Thats the whole point consumers are sick of the BS creating poorly thought out standards that need to be replaced every 5 years.

That is what is so amazing about DVI, they abandoned it, but its still better than what has not been abandoned. Really it speaks to the total incompetence of the newer standards, nothing drives that home more than your statement.
Wow. That's such inane logic I don't even want to bother refuting it.
DP is not the answer. Even the old biggest proponent of DP has already pushed on, Apple to thunderbolt. Its penetration is spotty at best. Just skip right to the next standard so we dont need to waste time moving from HDMI, to DP, then thunderbolt or w/e. Thats the whole point consumers are sick of the BS creating poorly thought out standards that need to be replaced every 5 years.

Thunderbolt is DisplayPort. The standard for DisplayPort is what allows something like Thunderbolt to piggyback on top of it.

Alrighty, what exactly are the defined differences that make that one a good buy for my purposes? I see that it comes with a power adapter unlike some of the sub $300 ones. For Example

Is there any chance of seeing a cheaper deal pop up in the next week? I read some people speculating next month would see a new shipment and hopefully less stuck pixels. I wasn't trying to spend more then 300 but if this is worth it I'll nut up and buy it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Alrighty, what exactly are the defined differences that make that one a good buy for my purposes? I see that it comes with a power adapter unlike some of the sub $300 ones. For Example
I assume that has the same or similar power suppy than the one I got. All the "adapter" is, is a plug that goes over the Korean style plug to convert it to a normal US wall socket. That cable is detachable though from the power supply and the power supply has a standard electronic type power plug (like the PSU in your PC). I ended up just using my own cable as I have a million of them sitting around and it works perfectly.
Is there any chance of seeing a cheaper deal pop up in the next week? I read some people speculating next month would see a new shipment and hopefully less stuck pixels. I wasn't trying to spend more then 300 but if this is worth it I'll nut up and buy it.

You will likely not see one of these with this feature set around the $300 mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA...6200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8

You dont need the multiple inputs version as you stated, $300 is more normal for DVI only the link I posted should work, though I have a taste for the crossovers with metal stand, slightly nicer bezel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...0246?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ab514d116

its black and white though mostly on the back which might not float your boat.

I'm not sure if he was the one that wanted the option to hook up his game console or not.....I couldn't hear anything over the format war BS for a few posts there.

I'm not sure if he was the one that wanted the option to hook up his game console or not.....I couldn't hear anything over the format war BS for a few posts there.

Yea I said it would be nice but it's not really a priority so for the sake of simplicity and savings I'm thinking I'll forgo HDMI compatibility. After quickly skimming the past few comments it doesn't sound like HDMI is well regarded anyway, especially on a monitor with this resolution.

So I think I'll pass on your first suggestion bellow for that reason and because there are only 9 left which are likely the bottom of the barrel in terms of dead pixels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA...6200?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item19ce366ec8

You don't need the multiple inputs version as you stated, $300 is more normal for DVI only the link I posted should work, though I have a taste for the crossovers with metal stand, slightly nicer bezel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...0246?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ab514d116

its black and white though mostly on the back which might not float your boat.

So it's between the two handsome rudy suggested above and I do like the stand, white back and all, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't like $62 more. The crossover one doesn't come with the power converter to boot which sounds like a pain to find, being as lazy and un-savy as I am. I guess it comes down to the sellers, which would you recommend? I know it's a roll of the dice with the dead pixels but between the two, whose better with returns if it comes muffed up? Better yet who has the better track record with not sending muffed up monitors in the first place.

Last edited:
Yea I said it would be nice but it's not really a priority so for the sake of simplicity and savings I'm thinking I'll forgo HDMI compatibility. After quickly skimming the past few comments it doesn't sound like HDMI is well regarded anyway, especially on a monitor with this resolution.

So I think I'll pass on your first suggestion bellow for that reason and because there are only 9 left which are likely the bottom of the barrel in terms of dead pixels.

So it's between the two handsome rudy suggested above and I do like the stand, white back and all, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't like $62 more. The crossover one doesn't come with the power converter to boot which sounds like a pain to find, being as lazy and un-savy as I am. I guess it comes down to the sellers, which would you recommend? I know it's a roll of the dice with the dead pixels but between the two, whose better with returns if it comes muffed up? Better yet who has the better track record with not sending muffed up monitors in the first place.
You DO NOT NEED an adapter. A simple cable will suffice.

I went with ta_planet for both my purchases and he adjusted my shipping mid purchase after I submitted the first order with the wrong address. He was very responsive overall and great to work with. He responded the same day or next day after any messages were sent.

One bad thing about DP... it is PnP.

You power off the monitor, it disappears from your Windows display config.

All the talk about DP being good for traders, it is actually a BAD thing for all the apps that remember window positioning.

All the talk about DP being good for traders, it is actually a BAD thing for all the apps that remember window positioning.

If you turn your monitors off... I haven't turned my monitor off in years, and the people I know don't turn their monitors off either. And if you still do, then IMO, you're wasting the effort. Pretty much the only reason to do so nowadays is so you don't get the monitor LED light.

You DO NOT NEED an adapter. A simple cable will suffice.

I went with ta_planet for both my purchases and he adjusted my shipping mid purchase after I submitted the first order with the wrong address. He was very responsive overall and great to work with. He responded the same day or next day after any messages were sent.

That's not too bad, $5 with shipping and I'm not sure I have a DVI DL so I might have to order one of those anyways. If I could bug you with 3 more quick questions....

Is that stand worth $70, It's hard to tell from the pictures does it actually have a slimmer bezel?
Do these have built in speakers and if so is there any difference in audio quality between those 2 models?
Does ta_planet have something comparable in stock to what rudy recommended?

Last edited:
That's not too bad, $5 with shipping and I'm not sure I have a DVI DL so I might have to order one of those anyways. If I could bug you with 3 more quick questions....
Its comes with a short (4ft I think) DL DVI cable which worked perfectly for me. I wall mounted mine though so I purchased 15ft DL DVI cables from Monoprice. You obviously don't have to go that long depending on your tower and monitor placement.

Is that stand worth $70, It's hard to tell from the pictures does it actually have a slimmer bezel?
I haven't seen the better stands but the stand that comes with the standard monitors is pretty bad. Its wobbly and only has tilt adjustment. It basically looks like a stand designed for a 22-24in monitor.

Do these have built in speakers and if so is there any difference in audio quality between those 2 models?
Does ta_planet have something comparable in stock to what rudy recommended?
I always assume that speakers built into a flat panel display are terrible, and I haven't been wrong yet. So they may be different but it will either be terrible or slightly less terrible I would think.

I believe this is the same exact model from ta_planet with the better stand. Double check the specs though as I'm at work and don't have time right now.

Its comes with a short (4ft I think) DL DVI cable which worked perfectly for me. I wall mounted mine though so I purchased 15ft DL DVI cables from Monoprice. You obviously don't have to go that long depending on your tower and monitor placement.

I haven't seen the better stands but the stand that comes with the standard monitors is pretty bad. Its wobbly and only has tilt adjustment. It basically looks like a stand designed for a 22-24in monitor.

I always assume that speakers built into a flat panel display are terrible, and I haven't been wrong yet. So they may be different but it will either be terrible or slightly less terrible I would think.

I believe this is the same exact model from ta_planet with the better stand. Double check the specs though as I'm at work and don't have time right now.

Thanks I might grab that longer cable, the ta_planet model though is $80 more than the other guys with that stand. That's too rich for my blood, but what wall mount did you buy? Maybe I'll get the basic one with the crappy plastic stand and just wall mount it.

If I'm gonna go with the basic model though why not grab this one thats on sale for another day, http://www.ebay.com/itm/320932354184?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
is there any difference between it and this one suggested earlier? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-...item19ce366ec8

Last edited:
Wouldn't buy from dream-seller if ppl are still buying these. One month out w/ a DOA monitor. sent the monitor back (cost me $100 shipping usps w/ tracking). all I got was a full refund when I asked for a replacement. We negotiated that he'd pay for shipping if it was defective and I'd pay for his shipping if he got a good monitor back. Seller says he sent the payment - paypal clearly shows otherwise. I even made a video for them showing that it was defective using the first monitor I bought from them.

which, btw, was a catleap - they said they received a bad shipment so they sent me an acheiva instead. The day after I got that message, catleaps went up in price.. like $100 bux

All I get is a bunch of excuses about being out of office, being hospitalized. korean holidays, etc. and all the while new sales posts keep going up from this seller so I'm pretty darn sure they've been active the last month. If you have any issues at all, start w/ the resolution center immediately; it's the only way they'll ever respond to you from what I've experienced.

I did receive the dead monitor within a week (like 3-4 days and add another 3-4 for shipping back. So granted.. it's been a little less than 3 weeks of negotiation... I'd say i'm disappointed that I'm 1 month out w/ nothing in hand except that I paid 100 bux to ship it back.

Last edited:
Wouldn't buy from dream-seller if ppl are still buying these. One month out w/ a DOA monitor. sent the monitor back (cost me $100 shipping usps w/ tracking). all I got was a full refund when I asked for a replacement. We negotiated that he'd pay for shipping if it was defective and I'd pay for his shipping if he got a good monitor back. Seller says he sent the payment - paypal clearly shows otherwise. I even made a video for them showing that it was defective using the first monitor I bought from them.

which, btw, was a catleap - they said they received a bad shipment so they sent me an acheiva instead. The day after I got that message, catleaps went up in price.. like $100 bux

All I get is a bunch of excuses about being out of office, being hospitalized. korean holidays, etc. and all the while new sales posts keep going up from this seller so I'm pretty darn sure they've been active the last month. If you have any issues at all, start w/ the resolution center immediately; it's the only way they'll ever respond to you from what I've experienced.

I did receive the dead monitor within a week (like 3-4 days and add another 3-4 for shipping back. So granted.. it's been a little less than 3 weeks of negotiation... I'd say i'm disappointed that I'm 1 month out w/ nothing in hand except that I paid 100 bux to ship it back.

Yea that sounds pretty brutal, is ta planet better though? I see his feedback is a percent or 2 higher and hes sold twice as much. I'm kinda bummed as I wanted to get the one with the slick crossover stand. Any other reputable sellers with crossover and the one input for $365 or less shipped?

I found some guy on Craigs selling a BRAND NEW one, literally 2 days old, for $250. No reply from him yet, but I'm frothing at the mouth. I want iiiit.

Yea that sounds pretty brutal, is ta planet better though? I see his feedback is a percent or 2 higher and hes sold twice as much. I'm kinda bummed as I wanted to get the one with the slick crossover stand. Any other reputable sellers with crossover and the one input for $365 or less shipped?

Make sure you allow room in your budget for a $50 square trade warranty. It will save your ass if you have any issues and ensure a hassle free return/repair process regardless of the seller.

This is what I used to mount my panels to drywall. They are very nice, only drawback is no height adjustment.

I don't know what to tell you about the price, these things are dirt cheap for what they are. If you can't afford it buy something else. Just make sure you are getting what you want/need and not skimping on something that could cause issues down the road.

Make sure you allow room in your budget for a $50 square trade warranty. It will save your ass if you have any issues and ensure a hassle free return/repair process regardless of the seller.

This is what I used to mount my panels to drywall. They are very nice, only drawback is no height adjustment.

I don't know what to tell you about the price, these things are dirt cheap for what they are. If you can't afford it buy something else. Just make sure you are getting what you want/need and not skimping on something that could cause issues down the road.

Really Square trade? Does everyone really order those?

Who would you suggest? The ta planet one rudy linked doesn't exist anymore.

Is there a better option for the standard one from green-sum http://www.ebay.com/itm/110833856200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or this crossover one from bigclothcraft http://www.ebay.com/itm/140743011000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
Really Square trade? Does everyone really order those?

Who would you suggest? The ta planet one rudy linked doesn't exist anymore.

Is there a better option for the standard one from green-sum http://www.ebay.com/itm/110833856200?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or this crossover one from bigclothcraft http://www.ebay.com/itm/140743011000?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Its a product ordered from another country with no reseller. So even if it had a warranty, I'll treat the product as if it has no warranty, as I'm sure it would be very painful to try and redeem the warranty for such an item.

Its a product ordered from another country with no reseller. So even if it had a warranty, I'll treat the product as if it has no warranty, as I'm sure it would be very painful to try and redeem the warranty for such an item.

What do you think about the two monitors i linked and more importantly the sellers that they're from? Do you think If I use the make an offer option on bigclothcraft's crossover that it would make him give me one with more stuck pixels then I would get if I bought it straight up?

Last edited:
mDP would be a better product IF the cards come with free mDP to DL-DVI adapters.:D
When 2560x1600 where truly high end there was no need for a low cost solution.;)
Now AMD must adress this market or lose even more sales to NVIDIA.
And NO, active mDP-DLDVI adapters are not cheap costing around US$90 and are not without problem, since eyefinity setups using mDP adapters have all kinds of trouble, including but not limited to, monitor not waking up after going into sleep mode:eek:
These monitors may be the death of low cost TN panels for gamers and are a ground breaking event in multimonitor gaming.

pretty sure thats about a 2 year old gripe, ie it hasnt been much of an issue in 2+ years

I havent been doing eyefinity on and off over the last 2 years and the biggest issue I had was dealing with LCD's that only had vga and HDMI ports

If you turn your monitors off... I haven't turned my monitor off in years, and the people I know don't turn their monitors off either. And if you still do, then IMO, you're wasting the effort. Pretty much the only reason to do so nowadays is so you don't get the monitor LED light.

I know people who turn off their phones every night. :rolleyes:

What happens if you need to move the work station and boot it up without the monitor on? What happens if the monitor dies mid-day and needs to be replaced? Or what happens should the power plug fall out of the monitor? You can laugh, but it does happen more often than you'd think.

The argument about the merits of DP over DL-DVI. To me, DP's PnP is a big problem. We actually ended up using DP->DVI adapters to avoid the monitor reconfiguration. Thankfully the largest monitors we use at the moment are 24" 1920x1200.

Just because you use it one way doesn't mean everyone else does. In other words, basically you're saying the equivalent of Steve Jobs' "You're holding it wrong".

Windows should remember exactly how you configure your desktop for different configurations of monitors even when you switch between different setups in completely different locations. If this is failing something might be wrong with a driver.

What do you think about the two monitors i linked and more importantly the sellers that they're from? Do you think If I use the make an offer option on bigclothcraft's crossover that it would make him give me one with more stuck pixels then I would get if I bought it straight up?

I have no experience with any other seller than ta_planet. But what I do know is that I am going with him for any future monitor purchase, very fast shipping, good communication and everything just went smoothly.

Figured I'd chime in with my experience. My QH270-Lite just arrived from green-sum and it is pretty damn good. Only one dead pixel in the lower right corner. Backlight bleeding isn't noticeable to me. The jump from 1920x1080 is awesome. I have another QH270 coming in from a different seller so I can check that one too (got one for work and home :)).

Alright I found this guide posted a few pages back that explains the variations in models. Super helpful, the one thing it didn't mention was if either of the cheaper 2 crossover models (27Q-P LED / 27Q LED) came with built in speakers. I'm no audio snob so something decent for when I'm not using headphones would be handy.

Can anyone who bought the ~$350 or ~$370 crossover comment on whether or not it has speakers and if they are decent?

I'm not speaking from experience, but I haven't read anything about the speakers being decent on any of these monitors. It might be acceptable, but don't count on it.

I noticed a few of these guys, in addition to buyout, accept "best offer" on some of these monitors. Anyone been successful with offering lower or am i just begging to be sent their shittiest set that way?

Whats the word on the crossover BLADE? No white back and built in speakers anyone have any info on this versus standard crossover w/ pivot?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-27-Inch...9079?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2321dc1df7

Last edited:
I've been super happy with my pair of Shimians. I thought about this tonight, after I ran my RC helicopter into one of them, realizing that I'm very glad I got the version with the glass. :)

I noticed a few of these guys, in addition to buyout, accept "best offer" on some of these monitors. Anyone been successful with offering lower or am i just begging to be sent their shittiest set that way?

Whats the word on the crossover BLADE? No white back and built in speakers anyone have any info on this versus standard crossover w/ pivot?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-27-Inch...9079?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item2321dc1df7

I bought my crossover from him and did a best offer, it arrived fine no problems. He shipped a different PSU that was better for the USA, back then the crossover had the better mount, but some reported problems with PSUs. The problem was that I actually ordered my monitor before he got back to me on the best offer. The reason was ebay was running some big promo and I had come to the dealine on it.

Got my qh270-lite that I ordered from green-sum earlier this week. No dead pixels, but there is some backlight bleed. For $299 however, I can't really complain.

Has anyone bought one of the white editions yet? I'm really curious to see some pictures of what they look like in a setup, and if the white is too distracting to the eye compared to black, also if there's any difference in internals at all.

Whelp I ordered the Crossover w/ pivot from bigclothcraft for $388. would have preferred to go with AW but for $40 more I figured I'd take my chances with Bigcloths dodgy power brick. If it burns out before 30 days and he wont send a replacement I can always order a squaretrade warranty can't I?

Im going to have to recommend against red-cap. One of my screens died after a few months use. We did back and forth contact for a few weeks...he was dragging his responses out to a week at a time. Now its been 2 weeks and he hasnt responded to me. Im opening a case through paypal.

Im going to have to recommend against red-cap. One of my screens died after a few months use. We did back and forth contact for a few weeks...he was dragging his responses out to a week at a time. Now its been 2 weeks and he hasnt responded to me. Im opening a case through paypal.

It's been korean thanksgiving the past 3 days but aside from that it sounds like dude is definitely giving you the run around. That's why I'm not leaving feedback on this thing so I have at least some recourse should the thing crap out on me.

You've had it for a few months already? In most cases you would go through the manufacturer's warranty or Squaretrade at this point.

Someone refresh my memory on Ebay and Paypal's policies, are they good up to 90 days or something?

You've had it for a few months already? In most cases you would go through the manufacturer's warranty or Squaretrade at this point.

Someone refresh my memory on Ebay and Paypal's policies, are they good up to 90 days or something?

Paypal is a limited time thing, but the redcap states on the items that he gives them all 1 year coverage. If he doesnt, then he sold an item not as its described. Either way ill get it sorted.

Back