Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

[xIMG]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii493/doncavender/bc733e0e.jpg[/IMG]

I ordered the QH270-IPSBS from TA Planet on August 10 and received it by August 14th. I will first say my experience with TA Planet has been great; however my first experience with the Shimian has not. When I first plugged the monitor in and powered up my PC I noticed the screen appeared as the picture above, so I powered it back off and on again and all was well. At least all was well for about 3 hours, and then the screen went blank. I thought maybe the game I was playing had locked the computer up, so I shut everything off and then it happened. The monitor now only displays like the picture above. So I've boxed it up and shipped it back to Korea today. TA Planet agreed to pay return shipping and I consider them going above and beyond what’s required of them. I do hope my good experience continues with them, but so far all I can say is that they have been super.

The display on the monitor was superb while it lasted and I didn't notice any bleeding or stuck pixels. I certainly hope my exchange lasts a LOT longer.

They sent you a shipping label? If not, do you mind sharing what the shipping cost was?

i bought the yamakasi catleap several months ago, and i'm now having problems with it. the power brick if not plugged into the monitor has a soild green light. if i plug it into the monitor, the monitor's power LED flashes red, and the LED on the power brick flashes green.

i purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-24V-5A-For-EFL-2202W-LCD-Monitor-4-pin-Tip?item=300555688796&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1386101699122554607 based on a recommendation from another forum, and it doesn't work at all with the monitor. does anyone have any suggestions on what's wrong with my monitor?

well i got an email back from green-sum and it looks like they're going to send me a new ac adapter for free. that's pretty awesome!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will the Achieva Shimian work with the HP Envy 17 3270nr laptop? If so, what kind of adapter would I need to plug it into either the HDMI or Display Port output?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I really want to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys, but I am not sure. I want it to last and not break within a couple years. Also I play FPS and I havn't found many posts on how well they do for FPS's. How are your guyses experiences? I have an ASUS VH238H right now and it would be cool to pick one of these up if the quality is just as good, just bigger :D.

I really want to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys, but I am not sure. I want it to last and not break within a couple years. Also I play FPS and I havn't found many posts on how well they do for FPS's. How are your guyses experiences? I have an ASUS VH238H right now and it would be cool to pick one of these up if the quality is just as good, just bigger :D.

I'm not sure about the Achieva's but the Catleaps are 6ms screens which is just fine for low input lag. I hear the ones that have multiple inputs have higher input lag so that's probably not good for FPS games. I haven't had mine for very long but it's been working great. You can check on 120hz.net to see if anyone's reported any long-term usage problems - people there have had theirs for a while. I haven't heard of any.

I'm not sure about the Achieva's but the Catleaps are 6ms screens which is just fine for low input lag. I hear the ones that have multiple inputs have higher input lag so that's probably not good for FPS games. I haven't had mine for very long but it's been working great. You can check on 120hz.net to see if anyone's reported any long-term usage problems - people there have had theirs for a while. I haven't heard of any.

Ok, thanks. I definitely want a catleap or a Crossover, both have 6ms response time. Just a little leery.

Received my Shimian Lite perfect pixel from Red Cap a couple days ago. I have one dead pixel and some major backlight bleed coming from the bottom left corner. I'm really hoping the photos I sent him are convincing enough to send me a replacement.
Hi Mike,
I also purchased a perfect pixel from Red-Cap. I have 1 bad pixel on the right side that can only be seen when red is displayed. Do you have pics of your backlight bleed for comparison?
Thanks,
silverD

I thought I'd share info on the QH270-Lite perfect pixel I bought from Red-Cap. I made the purchase late in the night on Aug 16th and received it the morning of the 20th.
Here is the tracking info:
tracking.jpg

box.jpg

box2.jpg

open.jpg

assemble.jpg

desktop.jpg

pixel2.jpg

Only 1 pixel with an issue that only seems detectable when displaying red on the right hand side of LCD.
I will be doing some more in depth testing in the next few days, but am very pleased so far!
Thanks for all the great info in this thread.
silverD

@SilverD3: Holy crap man, how did you notice that pixel? I mean, yes it is clearly not perfect but... o_O

@AliceCooper: The Input lag on these monitors (distinct from the Pixel Response time of 6ms) is substantially "better" (aka less lag) when compared to most monitors. This is because there is *no* image processing or scaling going on. I believe somebody tested these at 0 to 1 frames of lag beside a CRT monitor. However, the 6ms Pixel Response Time is part of IPS technology, and it is simply worse than 2ms TN screens. Nothing is going to change that. What that means to you is (in my experience) a very slight smearing when there is extreme motion (think 180 degree OH MY GAWD HE'S BEHIND ME).

Essentially, this monitor will have LESS input lag compared to your current one, but extremely fast motion will be less crisp. Colours will also be better, but in FPS's nobody cares. The larger monitor is also helpful in long-range battles when it makes it easier to distinguish opponents.

I have a 120Hz catleap and it is insane. If I was a "good" Counterstrike player I might use my 120hz TN instead, but I suck at CS so I just play with the Catleap. It's more fun :). CS is the only game that I would ever prefer a TN screen for.

@SilverD3: Holy crap man, how did you notice that pixel? I mean, yes it is clearly not perfect but... o_O

@AliceCooper: The Input lag on these monitors (distinct from the Pixel Response time of 6ms) is substantially "better" (aka less lag) when compared to most monitors. This is because there is *no* image processing or scaling going on. I believe somebody tested these at 0 to 1 frames of lag beside a CRT monitor. However, the 6ms Pixel Response Time is part of IPS technology, and it is simply worse than 2ms TN screens. Nothing is going to change that. What that means to you is (in my experience) a very slight smearing when there is extreme motion (think 180 degree OH MY GAWD HE'S BEHIND ME).

Essentially, this monitor will have LESS input lag compared to your current one, but extremely fast motion will be less crisp. Colours will also be better, but in FPS's nobody cares. The larger monitor is also helpful in long-range battles when it makes it easier to distinguish opponents.

I have a 120Hz catleap and it is insane. If I was a "good" Counterstrike player I might use my 120hz TN instead, but I suck at CS so I just play with the Catleap. It's more fun :). CS is the only game that I would ever prefer a TN screen for.

Damn lol. Well it sounds like it would be a good buy, though I do tend to do those 180 flick shots here and there, but it is so fast I don't see how I could notice smearing. I am playing in ESEA-Main right now so I am trying to get better gear to improve and I think a bigger monitor would help me see that tiny ass head at 500 meters better lol. I dont use 1920 x 1080 on my current monitor in game so it keeps things bigger, on a 27" I would probably use the same 1366 x 768. Hmm more thought must be had lol.

I am playing in ESEA-Main right now

You don't want one of these.

EDIT: Alright I should explain. You are the exact kind of person that these screens are not good enough for. Especially if you are not gonna use the higher resolution, just stick with a 1080p 27" monitor, TN, 120Hz. It will be much like what you have, but bigger. These monitors are simply not what you want, I'm sorry to say.

You don't want one of these.

EDIT: Alright I should explain. You are the exact kind of person that these screens are not good enough for. Especially if you are not gonna use the higher resolution, just stick with a 1080p 27" monitor, TN, 120Hz. It will be much like what you have, but bigger. These monitors are simply not what you want, I'm sorry to say.

Well, it's not that I won't use the max res, I will, just not for CSS. I play CSS competitively, but there are other games such as STALKER, BF2, Dayz, and MWLL that I would crank up the res on. Guess I'll stick with my 23" though. Thanks for the advice, glad I didn't pull the trigger.

I purchased an Achieva Shimian Lite Pixel Perfect from accessorywhole.

It is indeed pixel perfect, but it has some noticeable BLB. At first I thought the BLB would have been a deal breaker, then I fine tuned the brightness (out of the box it definately too high) thus reducing the bleed (which is still somewhat visible on black backgrounds) and just fell in love with the awesome picture and resolution.

I also have an LG W233D 120 hz monitor, but to be honest I enjoy much more gaming on the Achieva. Save very fast paced FPS where you need aim small targets during fast motion the extra blurriness it is hardly noticeable or annoying.
Unfortunately I now need a new gfx card, my 560ti (OCed) is not as bad as I had anticipated but of course I have to lower details one notch (or two, or none!) in some games. At least I no longer require the massive use of AA because the extra resolution eliminates most jaggies.
Still a very nice IQ even at lower settings.

I finally ordered & received my Q270-SE. It's great, the panel is flawless, but the color is way, way too cool temperature.

I tried the ToastyX ICM profiles, but they're way off. Apparently I got one of the Rev. 2D models and the color is too cool rather than having the green tint of the 2B models. So the ToastyX ICM results in a purple hue.

Does anyone have (or know of where to find) a color calibration ICM for the 2D model?

Thanks in advance...

I purchased an Achieva Shimian Lite Pixel Perfect from accessorywhole.

It is indeed pixel perfect, but it has some noticeable BLB. At first I thought the BLB would have been a deal breaker, then I fine tuned the brightness (out of the box it definately too high) thus reducing the bleed (which is still somewhat visible on black backgrounds) and just fell in love with the awesome picture and resolution.

I also have an LG W233D 120 hz monitor, but to be honest I enjoy much more gaming on the Achieva. Save very fast paced FPS where you need aim small targets during fast motion the extra blurriness it is hardly noticeable or annoying.
Unfortunately I now need a new gfx card, my 560ti (OCed) is not as bad as I had anticipated but of course I have to lower details one notch (or two, or none!) in some games. At least I no longer require the massive use of AA because the extra resolution eliminates most jaggies.
Still a very nice IQ even at lower settings.

I just set mine up and am very happy with it. Keep in mind I am coming from 3 of the LG IPS231 screens with the very thick anti-glare coating. Looks very good compared to that. I had gotten used to it, but now it's like I wiped a dirty window and can see clearly.

I have one dead pixel in the top left corner and some back light bleed in the same place. The bleed is quite minor and better than the IPS231s bleed that it is replacing, and I dont' notice the pixel unless I put a solid white background up, so I can't complain. It's also got a faster response time than the IPS231 did. I noticed that immediately when playing League of Legends.

Glad I took a chance on them. No more NVSurround for me. I'm going back to the simpler, easier times of one huge monitor. :p

I'm trying to decide between this and a Crossover 27q. Although it will predominantly be used by my PC driven by a 560ti 448, I do have the need to sometimes hook up my PS3. My current LG 246WP-BN had problems when I hooked up my PS3 and it would stretch the MW3 image (but not distort) off the screen so parts of the map and other HUD were not visible. Someone mentioned that might be due to a lack of pixel mapping or scaling.

Will this and/or the Crossover scale 720p and 1080p 16:9 resolutions without stretching or oversample?

thanks!

I do know that the newer Catleaps will correctly show 720p content via "pixel doubling". Or any multi input version should work as well. I can't speak for the crossover non-multi model.

I'm not sure 1080p works all that well unless you get a multi input model.

I do know that the newer Catleaps will correctly show 720p content via "pixel doubling". Or any multi input version should work as well. I can't speak for the crossover non-multi model.

I'm not sure 1080p works all that well unless you get a multi input model.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I don't think I've seen any multi-input models. They all just have a single DVI port. Other than maybe this one from microcenter:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384780

both 720p and 1080p work fine on my catleap (2B).

Via PS3/Xbox also? I would assume a computer could scale it properly through the graphics card but I was concerned about devices that can't scale their output and rely on the monitor to display it correctly.

thanks!

Ah.. sorry.. i forgot about the scaling. I'll try it out with the 360 later and let you know.

Just tested it with the 360 and it didn't work with either 720 or 1080. Sorry dude.

I appreciate the hands-on test and feedback. I wonder if there's going to be any decent-budget solution for my needs :/

Just tested it with the 360 and it didn't work with either 720 or 1080. Sorry dude.

Hence my stipulation: "Newer Catleaps" aka Post-2B aka what you get now. The new ones DO work, the old ones don't. I can't speak for other models.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I don't think I've seen any multi-input models.

When you search ebay, include the word "multi". So, search for Crossover Multi, or Catleap Multi, or Achieva Multi, etc etc. They cost somewhat more, and have noticeably more input lag, but it isn't any different than most monitors and they are sure a lot cheaper than a Dell 2711 with all the inputs. The microcenter one you linked might just be the best deal anyway. Is it out of your budget?

Hence my stipulation: "Newer Catleaps" aka Post-2B aka what you get now. The new ones DO work, the old ones don't. I can't speak for other models.

When you search ebay, include the word "multi". So, search for Crossover Multi, or Catleap Multi, or Achieva Multi, etc etc. They cost somewhat more, and have noticeably more input lag, but it isn't any different than most monitors and they are sure a lot cheaper than a Dell 2711 with all the inputs. The microcenter one you linked might just be the best deal anyway. Is it out of your budget?

I can probably talk myself into anything when it comes to justifying computer/gaming parts - so I could definitely pick that up and try it out. I wasn't thrilled about the glossy (and ugly) bezel and possibly the glossy screen. But I can't find many 27" that aren't glossy or have annoying anti-glare coating on them.

I searched around and found the Crossover 27M is what I would want - pricy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3686.m570.l1313&_nkw=crossover+27M&_sacat=0

So the multiple inputs increases latency/lag on the screen?

Yeah the crossovers have always been more expensive. The catleap multi's start at $410 shipped, but that isn't any better than the auria from microcenter.

Multiple inputs always increases input lag. Not necessarily more per input or anything, just the fact that the monitor has to choose an input to display takes circuitry which causes small lag that isn't present when the signal goes straight from DVI to your screen. Most people wouldn't notice or complain too much. It is still much faster than, say, most TV's.

The bezel is unfortunate, so I can understand why you would want the crossover. My catleap's bezel doesn't bother me, but it's personal preference. I've heard good things about Samsung's "semi-gloss" coatings on some of their displays but I have no experience with that.

Well, just pluged my CROSSOVER in...OMG..........

It looks AWESOME....with my NEW - GXT 680 MS-Twin Frozr O/C 4GB

did a fast scan for Dead pixels....none YIPPY......I do think I have some Back Lite Bleed( lower Rt corner )..but it is still lite out here and I have no time to test more Got to go to work...think Im going to take a Sickation day tomorrow :))

AP514
Will post Pic's soon as time allows

I can probably talk myself into anything when it comes to justifying computer/gaming parts - so I could definitely pick that up and try it out. I wasn't thrilled about the glossy (and ugly) bezel and possibly the glossy screen. But I can't find many 27" that aren't glossy or have annoying anti-glare coating on them.

I searched around and found the Crossover 27M is what I would want - pricy:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3686.m570.l1313&_nkw=crossover+27M&_sacat=0

So the multiple inputs increases latency/lag on the screen?

The Crossover 2720MDP is the one I've been watching. ~$430-450, 2xHDMI, DisplayPort, Dual-link DVI, VGA, Component, and speakers.

From what I've read, yes there is latency, but probably nothing noticeable, unless you're a hardcore FPS player. Just as fast as most TV's.

Is there a burn in on these monitors? I just got my achieva shimian hooked it up. I loaded facebook and now there is a slight background of the facebook webpage on everything i do...

I have to ask those who have purchased one of these, are you still happy with it?

I have a Dell 2410 and a 2408WFP and I'm looking at moving up to a 27 but the prices of the Dell monitors are just crazy. I've been thinking of selling both of my Dell monitors and buying two of these, do you think it's worth it?

I am on the PC all the time and I do tons of gaming.

I have to ask those who have purchased one of these, are you still happy with it?

I have a Dell 2410 and a 2408WFP and I'm looking at moving up to a 27 but the prices of the Dell monitors are just crazy. I've been thinking of selling both of my Dell monitors and buying two of these, do you think it's worth it?

You have to accept that it's not going to be perfect. Mine has some back light bleed at the top, and although minor, it's there. Also, the right side of my screen is a bit brigher that the left, so the uniformity is not the best. It's still pretty minor though. I'm not a color snob and don't really care if it's not RGB perfect... If you are, it could bother you... I've bought monitors in this price range (under $300) from Samsung, LG, and Viewsonic and had worse screens, so it is what it is. My LG IPS231s weren't any better, worse actually if you consider the overbearing anti-glare they had on them, the uniformity wasn't any better, and they had a lot more ghosting and input lag than this monitor.

Oh, and I have one dead pixel in the top left.

None of the minor defects I mentioned above are noticable while gaming, and that's what I do 90% of the time. I love the lack of a scaler. It does improve the latency. I noticed it immedately over my other LG screens. I just don't think I'm going to find a better monitor with 2560x1440 resolution for gaming. You can get a 120Hz TN panel but you won't get the resolution and you will get color shifting on a 27" TN, which this monitor does not do. That annoys me more than anything else.

I guess that's the end of my rambling... I have no idea how long this monitor will last, but I'm satisfied with it for now. I'm pretty damn picky too, so take that for what it's worth.

You have to be willing to accept what you get. Sending them back isn't really an option. You'll be spending way more than they're worth if you have to pay huge return shipping charges. It's a gamble. If you don't have the money for discretionary spending, I don't know if I'd do it. Either way, don't sell the Dells first... keep your options open.

Is there a burn in on these monitors? I just got my achieva shimian hooked it up. I loaded facebook and now there is a slight background of the facebook webpage on everything i do...

Haven't had any burn in issues nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing that but then again I use a screensaver.

Only have had mine for a few weeks but I love this monitor. Just played Sleeping Dogs on it and WOW! Every new game makes me love this monitor even more. There's a slight backlight bleed on the top of the one I'm using now but I can't even see it when gaming or using it daily.

Back