Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Yea I'm not interested in playing games.... I ordered on 8/1 and it should have been here already. I didn't go for the cheapest figuring stuff like this wouldn't happen.

These are eBay sellers. So, they pretty much have the same products. Going the cheapest route doesn't lessen the chance of getting a good monitor. Some sellers, like redcap check out their monitors before shipping.

redcap pays return shipping. 80% of others dont. Theres really no reason to buy from anyone other than redcap.

Btw, my 27" i ordered from Red-cap on sunday night, just got here tuesday morning. Check out the tracking info....

22 hours from it leaving korea, hitting about 4 shipping places, before it lands on my doorstep. Was closer to 20 hour since they didnt update delivery time

Shipment delivered
Aug-07-12, 10:05 AM, HERNDON,FL

With delivery courier
Aug-07-12, 08:45 AM, HERNDON,FL

Arrived at DHL facility in ORLANDO - HERNDON,FL-USA
Aug-07-12, 08:29 AM, HERNDON,FL

Departed from DHL facility in CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Aug-07-12, 05:43 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Processed at Location CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Aug-07-12, 04:32 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Aug-07-12, 03:35 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Arrived at DHL facility in CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Aug-07-12, 03:30 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Departed from DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.)
Aug-06-12, 21:44 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL

Processed at Location INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.)
Aug-06-12, 20:27 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL

Arrived at DHL facility in INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.)
Aug-06-12, 20:02 PM, INCHEON OUTSKIRT OF SEOUL

Departed from DHL facility in BUSAN AND SOUTHEAST AREA - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.)
Aug-06-12, 15:00 PM, BUSAN AND SOUTHEAST AREA

Processed at Location BUSAN AND SOUTHEAST AREA - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF (SOUTH K.)
Aug-06-12, 14:52 PM, BUSAN AND SOUTHEAST AREA

Shipment picked up
Aug-06-12, 11:29 AM, BUSAN AND SOUTHEAST AREA

The monitor I'm looking at is actually 499 from redcap. I figured if this still doesn't work with VGA at least I have the DisplayPort and then I can get an EliteBook 2540p.

Should I just keep the ZR2440w and get the laptop?

I got the White model today and monitor has perfect panel as no dead/bright pixel found. The PQ is just awesome.

If you are using a computer with VGA, it's time for a different computer before worrying about the monitor.

Earlier I had stated that the CrossOver 2720MDP's input lag was tied with my Samsung S27A850D for around 18-20ms of input lag. I went back and checked and I had previously only done the input lag testing on my Samsung vs CRT with the SMT Tool 1.0 which gives values that are 6ms higher than what they should be.

Refer to this article for more information. The SMT Tool 2.0 is almost as accurate as an oscilloscope.

I did the input lag test again and they did indeed tie, however the actual input lag on the Samsung S27A850D is only 13.6ms when measured with an oscilloscope by PRAD.de which means that the CrossOver 2720MDP, which was was occasionally 1-2ms faster in my tests, has around 11-13.6ms of input lag which puts it ahead of the Achievea Shimian Multi PRAD.de tested (19ms), as well as most other high resolution IPS panels with scalers which typically have around 17-20 ms of input lag.

I didn't take enough pictures to verify if the CrossOver is truly faster since a 1-2ms difference is negligible.

If you are using a computer with VGA, it's time for a different computer before worrying about the monitor.

Laptop.

It really works fine for me but I guess time to upgrade just to be able to connect any decent monitor.

I just wanted to say, I've had my Shimian for like 5 months now, and it's still absolutely perfect. I've done a massive amount of gaming on it, and I use it daily. No dead pixels, no issues whatsoever save a tiny bit of backlight bleed at the very middle bottom (only noticable on blacks).

One of the most pleasing purchases I've ever made, right next to my Panasonic Plasma and my 20WMGX2 (Hrm, my favorite tech purchases all seem to be displays of some sort!)

My $0.02:

Ordered Shimian QH270-Lite from seller dhsummer early morning 8/3. Total cost $275.90

Package arrives at my door in Georgia the afternoon of 8/7, I figured it would take twice as long to get here.

Screen is basically perfect. There's one stuck pixel. My old SOYO had several stuck pixels so this is pretty good. I can't notice it unless I look for it.

Came with a 110-240v power brick which works fine. Plugged it into the power chord from my old monitor.

Back of the monitor is spartan with just the power input and dual dvi port. Fine with me.

I thought it would look and feel bigger. The higher resolution is definitely noticable, but so is the aspect ratio difference. I wish they still made 16:10 monitors. A 30" version of this would have been pretty sweet.

Glossy screen is more reflective than the matte SOYO but it's not as terrible as some people say.

The stand is just fine in my opinion. It's would take a strong earthquake to possibly knock the monitor over and it doesn't feel any worse than the cheap stand on the SOYO.

Gives off a LOT less heat than my old SOYO (power brick gets slightly warm). I assume this is because of the LED backlighting.

My 6850 seems to have no trouble adapting to the higher resolution for the games I play.

TLDR: It's cheap and it works fine. Would recommend.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yup, the shimian sure does
IMAG0527.jpg

Laptop.

It really works fine for me but I guess time to upgrade just to be able to connect any decent monitor.

My 5 year old Asus laptop had DVI and VGA. Now it seems like they have VGA and HDMI. It's hard to find laptops with DVI anymore. No adapters work for VGA to DVI?

My 5 year old Asus laptop had DVI and VGA. Now it seems like they have VGA and HDMI. It's hard to find laptops with DVI anymore. No adapters work for VGA to DVI?

There is more than 1 kind of DVI. VGA to DVI is DVI-A(nalog), which is not necessarily compatible with all that much. HDMI to DVI is easy though, so that is where you should be looking if your laptop has HDMI and VGA.

EDIT: Keep in mind that HDMI -> DVI will be Single Link, which won't drive these monitors. But it will drive 1080/1200p and down.

MatlocK & athlon1.2

Sorry, But No Matter what you do YOU will NEVER get this monitor and an Old Laptop to work together.

You will need to either use a desktop with a Real Video card or an Macbook with the displayport an a $ 100.oo adapter

It's time to upgrade. Open your wallet and let the upgrade cascade flow.

MatlocK & athlon1.2

Sorry, But No Matter what you do YOU will NEVER get this monitor and an Old Laptop to work together.

You will need to either use a desktop with a Real Video card or an Macbook with the displayport an a $ 100.oo adapter

My laptop has a dual-link DVI out ;)

MatlocK & athlon1.2

Tons of laptops can out put DL DVI. You just need to check the specs, oh and lots of PCs have DP out as well which means that you dont need a macbook, its just one of those things you might not have checked for when you bought a laptop so at random you just might not have it old or new.

I'm really tempted to purchase one of these korean brand monitors, does anyone know if there's a model that still makes 120hz capable monitors?

I'm looking at CrossOver's, Catleaps, and Achieva's.

I'm really tempted to purchase one of these korean brand monitors, does anyone know if there's a model that still makes 120hz capable monitors?

No, but check 120hz.net. They've been selling special ones made to order to order that are capable of 120hz.

Well, after reading wayyy too many pages f this thread. I decided to jump in and give one a shot. I went with an ebay new Shimian QH270-Lite one for $235.90 + 40 separate shipping charge + 34.99 square trade 3 year warrantee for total of $309. Went for the cheapest total I could find. I figure it's a game of chance somewhat so gonna play as cheap as possible. No pixel perfect stuff, no extra costs. Going for price only with a longer warrantee through square trade. Crosses fingers! Without the 3rd party warrantee would only have been $275, but I've use square trade's warrantees in the past with success so figured it was worth the slight extra.

Hopefully no major issues, but we'll see.

That might be a good thing to do actually pay separate for the shipping and maybe square trade puts you in a lower bracket for the warranty.

That might be a good thing to do actually pay separate for the shipping and maybe square trade puts you in a lower bracket for the warranty.

It did get me the slightly cheaper square trade warrantee. Apparently because the price without shipping is $235.90, it's in the $200-250 price bracket. It's not a lot cheaper than the $250-300 bracket, but cheaper is cheaper..

Check out Overlordcomputer.com, they will have a 120hz capable monitor around Oct.

Shimian QH270 Question for others:

Do you guys have any type of OSD when using the buttons on the monitor? The brightness buttons appear to work, but the contrast ones do nothing and the speaker ones im assuming work, but i have no way to test those yet. Just strange to me their is no on screen display.

While I don't own a Shimian, it's been known for a long time around these threads that the DVI only models come without OSD or scalers. It is a function of how cheap the monitors are, and it actually reduces input lag.

Shimian QH270 Question for others:

Do you guys have any type of OSD when using the buttons on the monitor? The brightness buttons appear to work, but the contrast ones do nothing and the speaker ones im assuming work, but i have no way to test those yet. Just strange to me their is no on screen display.

Did you get the Shimian QH270-lite? If so, there's no OSD and the only functioning buttons is on/off and brightness up/down. About the speaker shells, there's no speakers underneath.

FWIW I received a Yamasaki 2703 today, got the tempered glass one for $295 from green-sum, no stick pixels. Somehow I thought the tempered glass was edge-to-edge but maybe this model was different as its under the bezel. In any case the tempered glass made the thing way too reflective so I popped off the bezel and removed the pane of glass -- luckily they didnt glue it but instead used some industrial tape. Took all of 5 minutes. Excellent monitor otherwise, and my fault for going tempered but I'd underestimated how reflective these things can be in anything but a low light or dark room. Even without the glass, the panel itself is still a little reflective but still totally workable considering the room it sits in is bright as hell.

Colors and black level is just insane. People have stated that these inexpensive 27" korean monitors with the LG panels are bang for buck the best upgrade you can make to your system after an SSD, and now I'd have to agree.

Last edited:
Did you get the Shimian QH270-lite? If so, there's no OSD and the only functioning buttons is on/off and brightness up/down. About the speaker shells, there's no speakers underneath.

Lol, saved me the time of hooking those up!

I have a BLUE tone with this monitor next to my 24" dell IPS. I've used the windows monitor calibration tool, which i had to drop blue and green by like 10-15% just get it looking like the dell.

Has anyone used anything else to calibrate these?
Spyder4elite? Spyder3?

Spyder4elite?

The Spyder 4 Elite & i1 display pro are the only good colorimeters right now. The i1d2 and spyder 3 are inaccurate (500k colour deviance) & are not meant to be used with LED back-lit displays.

I use an i1 display pro, the spyder 4 elite will also work but make sure you get the elite version.

My CrossOver 27Q LED-P was very blue out of the box (8,500k Colour Temperature), my ICC profile is avaliable in TFT Central's Data Base

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/crossover_27q_led-p.icm

Awesome, ill give this profile a try. Im guessing I just load it into Windows Color Management, correct? I used the color calibrator and had them both looking good (shimiam and my dell) but then I played Guild Wars 2 and it was as if windows was ignoring the color profile because it was blue again.

This i1 display pro, does it just create a profile I load into Windows color managment and thats it? Do I need to use their special software 24/7 to keep the color?

The Spyder 4 Elite & i1 display pro are the only good colorimeters right now. The i1d2 and spyder 3 are inaccurate (500k colour deviance) & are not meant to be used with LED back-lit displays.

I use an i1 display pro, the spyder 4 elite will also work but make sure you get the elite version.

My CrossOver 27Q LED-P was very blue out of the box (8,500k Colour Temperature), my ICC profile is avaliable in TFT Central's Data Base

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/crossover_27q_led-p.icm

I dont think most games respect color profiles in full screen. Also I had to like go enable color profile loading twice once through the channel you would expect then through another channel on and admin account that looked the same. Confusing shit.

I dont think it works in my non admin account though.

I got the Achieva Shimian 270 lite that Krash recommened from Red Cap. It came in two days from Korea and works like a charm. It really seems like the best deal I have ever gotten in tech (knock on wood). Granted only had it for a day..

This is likely a dumb question but say i got two video cards two run 3 of these things - does that mean I have to use SLI to game in something like world of warcraft. I heard that SLI can cause problems and microstutter.. Or can one card like do all the work..

i wouldn't want to use a DP to DVI converter because that would add input lag to one monitor. And I wouldn't want one monitor with multi-input because that monitor would have input lag. What are you guys doing with regards to this?

I was never that interested in 3x monitor gaming but I mean at these prices its not crazy..

Back