Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Anyone tried these with a laptop with a display port to DVI-D adapter? Just for internet and maybe excel/word. Does it give a blank screen or are they saying its just not powerful enough to play a game when they say "Don't work for laptop"

You need an active dp->Dual-Link DVI adapter. It should work just fine.

I got the Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite (no scaler) from TA_Planet and its great, i love the pixel density. Comming from an old westinghouse 37" AMVA gen 1? panel the blacks aren't nearly as good and ips glow takes some getting used to, but it was time to get a real monitor and the pixel response time is noticeably faster.

I have an ati HD5870 so of coarse i don't have a post screen and can't see the bios, which is fine i was expecting that.

what troubles me is the list of "post and bios screen compatable" videocards is all over the place. what in the world is different about how the video cards detect the monitors EDID, why can a 5830, 4850, and 6950 display the bios, and a 5870 can't.
I want to know esspecially because its going to deside what all my future video card upgrades are untill i buy a monitor with a scaler, and the "compatable" list is a generation old already going upto amd 6000 and nvidia 500.

right now it's a shot in the dark which amd hd 7xxx's and nvidia 6xx's will display the bios and which ones won't. very frustrating.

anybody have some idea's?

The only time I've seen the 7000 series having an issue with showing the bios was when used with an active dp->DVI adapter.

I just ordered and received my 2nd CROSSOVER 2720MDP GOLD LED that was listed as having an A+ panel. Seller was accessorieswhole. This one did not have a pivot stand so the stand is a bit more flimsy (the pivot stand on my other A+ Crossover is really solid).

Again, I got a great screen with no pixel issues. Love these A+ panels. They may be more, but the peace of mind is worth it for me at least.

Man these power adapters do get warm. I'm debating either buying a spare or putting a generic large passive heatsink on them.

I know AW does it. They claim A+ panels, with zero pixel defects of any kind.

Considering the $100 price premium, they pretty much *have* to take them back if there's a pixel issue.

I just ordered and received my 2nd CROSSOVER 2720MDP GOLD LED that was listed as having an A+ panel. Seller was accessorieswhole. This one did not have a pivot stand so the stand is a bit more flimsy (the pivot stand on my other A+ Crossover is really solid).

Again, I got a great screen with no pixel issues. Love these A+ panels. They may be more, but the peace of mind is worth it for me at least.

Man these power adapters do get warm. I'm debating either buying a spare or putting a generic large passive heatsink on them.

How many volts and watts or amps do those power bricks "output"??

Take good pictures of your defective monitor and send it back, unles you can live with the defects. It may just take a while for you to get your refund though.
So dream-seller got my monitor back , he claims he did not find anything wrong and sent over a video. Its a good thing I also created a video of the monitor before sending it back to him , so I sent it over to him with all the details .... still waiting to hear from him but this doesn't look that good,

I ordered the catleap from green-sum on ebay. I'm really concerned now after he send the pdf file
with all those warnings about heat and fire being an issue, if all the wires or brick isn't appropriately
placed in safe places. how hot does this dam brick get can it burn a carpet and start a fire if you leave the monitor on over night?

I think he's just being extra cautious.

Although, thank god I'm in the UK, so my power is pretty much the same as Korea's. No excessive heat for me.

Because the things die, so knowing what you need ahead of time is a good idea.

Got to say, given that a lot of monitor issues are PSU related and many times the PSU is integrated, having an external easily replacable PSU like this is really good.

The one that came with my crossover ran hot too. The one I also bought from eBay, linked many pages backed, ran just as hot.

Is there another option?

my crossover psu is warm, but not hot, luckily for me... and my overall power usage is significantly less than it was running the old westy 37"...

You need an active dp->Dual-Link DVI adapter. It should work just fine.

can you link me one that is reasonable priced? less than $30 also what is the difference betweek active and passive? i dont want to run dual moniter with the catleap i want to close the laptop and use the catleap as the full monitor via displayport. thinkpad t420.

can you link me one that is reasonable priced? less than $30 also what is the difference betweek active and passive? i dont want to run dual moniter with the catleap i want to close the laptop and use the catleap as the full monitor via displayport. thinkpad t420.

DP:
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...=1342193401&sr=1-2&keywords=Accell+B087B-005B

Mini-DP:
http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...=1342193401&sr=1-2&keywords=Accell+B087B-005B

you could CANNOT use a passive one, since active is usually required for display # 3 and above in surround/eyefinity configs

http://www.amazon.com/HP-DisplayPor...=1342193401&sr=1-4&keywords=Accell+B087B-005B

EDIT correct passive info, thanks to sn0_man

didnt want some skimming, hitting my post, and ordering an incorrect adapter!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
DP:
you could probably use a passive one, since active is usually required for display # 3 and above in surround/eyefinity configs

Sort of. You CANNOT use passive adapters with most of these korean monitors (The multi-input models are different, will accept a Single-Link signal I believe). They have no scaler and as such REQUIRE 2560x1440p input over Dual-Link DVI. While DisplayPort is capable of pretending it is Single-Link DVI for passive adapters, it cannot pretend to be Dual-Link. Thus, it requires an ACTIVE adapter to output Dual-Link DVI.

The reason Active is "usually only for Display #3 in surround" is because Video cards often can only output 2 DVI signals, no matter what port you are using (aka passive adapter capable, only single link DVI) then they are forced to output a different kind (in this case DisplayPort) which is then actively changed over to DVI by the adapter.

^^ got ya.

makes sense.

I have one or two the accells laying around, they work great.

were recommended to me by shane parfait, "AMD SW Product Manager for Eyefinity, Video and HD3D"

he says all they use in house are bizlink/accell

another multi-input model (since 2012-06-25) - new casing and hdmi 1.4a support (possible to use with 1.4a hdmi laptop)

YAMAKASI CatLeap Q271 LED HDMI 1.4a 2560X1440 LG S-IPS Computer Monitor VESA in-Speaker

http://search.ebay.com/yamakasi+q271
from $444.99

link to promo image

Of course a new version came out, I finally broke down and ordered a Shimian on Wednesday from red-cap! Although I'm not sure I would pay more for the q271 and I don't want to wait for reviews to come in. It looks nice though!

My Shimian was ordered late Wednesday night, shipped on Thursday, and arrived Friday morning! Crazy fast. Too bad I'm at work so I haven't been able to try it out. Hope that it is fully operational as described :)

Got a pixel perfect monitor from bigclothcraft for $314. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrived Wed night at 7:59pm to San Fran. I felt I needed to give bigclothcraft some recognition here for my great monitor.

Got a pixel perfect monitor from bigclothcraft for $314. I ordered it Sunday night and it arrived Wed night at 7:59pm to San Fran. I felt I needed to give bigclothcraft some recognition here for my great monitor.

I ordered from bigclothcraft on Friday night, he shipped it on Sunday and I received my monitor on Tuesday.

Got the Shimian LITE hooked up.

Seriously? This monitor was only $329? !!!

Appears to be pixel perfect. There is some BLB but honestly the IPS glow overrides it. Something to live with until the next technology comes out.

The clarity is phenomenal. All these years I dreaded AG (almost bought a 3011, glad that I didn't) while being afraid of glossy. Glossy is worth dealing with lighting control!

Colors are certainly too blue. I made some adjustments in my video card settings but it is clear that a profiler should be used. Any suggestions on which one to get?

get the apple profile linked in the thread..

This profile is somewhat helpful in remedying the pronounced blue hue, but color temp still seems a bit cool on my Shimian. Debating picking up a calibration device to dial things in a bit further...

Trying to decide between a lite Achieva and a Potalion (from bigclothcraft) with pixel perfect Potalion for 340. Which one is better? I will use it with 1) macbook pro 2) linux desktop with nvidia GT520 card

Should I pixel perfect monitors to ensure I can safely buy the 3yr square trade warranty? Ideally I would like to have the square trade warranty on these..... I see even the non pixel perfect monitors come with optional square trade coverage. I wonder if squaretrade will really cover. Anyone has any experience in this?

You could also buy three of these for the price of an Apple cinema display or Dell. The Dell also has a pretty heavy AG coating from what I hear.

For $300 its not a bad deal.

And in 10 years the apple display would still be working just as well as it did day one.

Your three korean monitors would long ago have bit the dust.

That said - I'm still half interested in one of these or I wouldn't be reading this thread. :D

Exactly. I love the concept of this monitor. It's built around a decent panel with bare-bones supporting hardware to keep the cost to a minimum. The warranty plan is "Buy a new one when it breaks" because it's cheap enough that no one really minds too much.

But let's be honest with ourselves: This isn't a top-tier monitor. It's a no-name eBay monitor built with one thing in mind: keeping the price to an absolute minimum. Just look at the housings and the stands, which would never fly on a brand-name monitor. But the stand part is usually an easy fix with an extra investment. The panels are going to be the lowest binned parts, but if you're just playing games that doesn't matter one bit.

The real problem is going to be the quality of the electronics inside. I doubt the LEDs for the backlight were picked for their lifespan and the stability of their color temperature and brightness over time. The internal power regulators weren't chosen for their high system MTBF. The capacitors weren't chosen for their reliability. Everything was chosen because it was the cheapest available option that would let the monitor live up to it's 1-year "warranty" claimed on the eBay page. Down the road, if the failures are too high and the brand gets a bad reputation on the internet, they can just change their name and sell under a new name. There is zero incentive to make a quality product here beyond the initial appearance.

Don't get me wrong. I think these monitors are a great deal for enthusiasts like us, but let's not kid ourselves as to what they really are. Catleap, et. al. aren't providing us with dirt-cheap monitors out of the kindness of their own hearts, they're wrapping the cheapest supporting package around the lowest-binned 27" IPS panels that still pass and passing those savings on to us. Too many people across the internet desperately want to believe these are equivalent to a top-tier monitor at less than half the price, but when you consider the whole package over time it's absolutely not.

My 7 year-old Dell 2405 still calibrates just fine and the brightness is way more than I would ever need because it was built with quality parts. I've never had to think twice about it. If I'm using my generic eBay 27" monitor for anything worthwhile after 2 years, I'll consider myself lucky. Sure there are plenty of "my Dell failed after 3 months" anecdotes, but the Dell also has a 3 year warranty, etc. Same thing for the ACD.

So by all means, go with the 27" eBay monitors and enjoy them, but don't fool yourself into thinking you have an equivalent of the top-tier brands.

Wow - my thoughts exactly! A+ post!

<snip...>That said - I'm still half interested in one of these or I wouldn't be reading this thread. :D
Same here! I'm wondering what the long term reliability of these things are. Seems that just the power brick goes bad with these.

here is a 120hz 27" korean monitor - guaranteed supposedly? interesting. Says it's a pilot run of 100 units.

1-5 pixel issues.....-- you know these puppies are tested so you are definately getting 1-5 pixels that aren't working properly. How much that matters is subjective. I think it'd bother me... :( In a few more years we should have 120hz LCD's being the norm for new units I would think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120Hz-Overc...0501?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ab9c36605

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Please dont buy from greensum :

Hello. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Because of a lot of order, the shipping process has congested temporary.

We'll send your monitor soon. Sorry for delay.

After dispatching, you can check your item.

Please wait a bit more.

Thank you.

- green-sum

here is a 120hz 27" korean monitor - guaranteed supposedly? interesting. Says it's a pilot run of 100 units.

1-5 pixel issues.....-- you know these puppies are tested so you are definately getting 1-5 pixels that aren't working properly. How much that matters is subjective. I think it'd bother me... :( In a few more years we should have 120hz LCD's being the norm for new units I would think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120Hz-Overc...0501?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ab9c36605

These monitors aren't actually 120Hz-capable. They can take a 120Hz input, but drop every other frame.

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?261-2B-Catleap-for-sale-on-Ebay-500/page13&highlight=frame+skip

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OK, I bit. I went down to my local electronics store and had him order me a 27" 2560x1440 monitor. I don't even know the brand (it's not one of the ones mentioned in this thread) but the ad clearly mentioned LG IPS amongst all of the Hangul (Korean) writing on the website.

Price 299,000 KRW = $260

Please wait a bit more.

Thank you.

- green-sum

Because he's busy shipping many orders, you don't want to buy from him? This would make me buy because he's a great seller with a large customer base.

My brother got a Pixel perfect model with adjustable stand at a $100 premium can't wait to go see it, I have a Viewsonic G225f and was thinking etheir a FW900 or one of these monitors for an upgrade, my visit today to his place will give me a good ideal on how good this thing is

Please wait a bit more.

Thank you.

- green-sum

Get outta here

Please wait a bit more.

Thank you.

- green-sum
Sounds like a person with a busy business, Who takes the time To send a note saying
I am very busy and will get to you in a day or two

This seems VERY polite to me

This is the kinda person that I wanna do business with

Sounds like a person with a busy business, Who takes the time To send a note saying
I am very busy and will get to you in a day or two

This seems VERY polite to me

This is the kinda person that I wanna do business with

I agree

Because he's busy shipping many orders, you don't want to buy from him? This would make me buy because he's a great seller with a large customer base.

5 days and still waiting .. what kind of business take so many days to ship out

Back