Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I'm excited to say that I just placed the order for my Catleap today! I was going to go for the less expensive Achieva, but really didn't like the silver rim around the edge of the monitor. The 120hz.net model was tempting, but I just don't have the extra money, and the odds of me having enough GPU to push that many pixels past 60hz any time soon are slim to none.

Can't wait to bring this home and unbox it!

Hi all, I just bought a new Shimian QH270-IPSMS (DVI, VGA & HDMI inputs), and I can't seem to find the option to adjust backlight level? I feel like an idiot, but all I can find is the brightness and contrast options, nothing on backlight. I cannot read Korean so the manual doesn't help, I did change OSD language to English.

So far I am just using the hdmi connection (360 and ps3).

Edit: I think (from what information I could glean from reading this thread) that with the single dvi-input models, the backlight adjustments were made with a couple of the OSD buttons, and the rest just didn't do anything? Can someone confirm? With my multi-input model all the buttons work to access and configure the OSD. I've dug through all the menus, pressed every button there is, and I cannot for the life of me find the backlight level adjustment. Help?

Last edited:
Decisions, decisions...

To buy this for $309 or ghetto rig a repair for my Soyo 24" ? I would like the extra size and resolution, but it would be much cheaper to fix the Soyo, if I can do so.

I'll totally be the enabler, buy this! Fix the soyo when you have the time and $ and then keep it around as a backup or for a secondary machine.

Hi all, I just bought a new Shimian QH270-IPSMS (DVI, VGA & HDMI inputs), and I can't seem to find the option to adjust backlight level? I feel like an idiot, but all I can find is the brightness and contrast options, nothing on backlight. I cannot read Korean so the manual doesn't help, I did change OSD language to English.

So far I am just using the hdmi connection (360 and ps3).

Edit: I think (from what information I could glean from reading this thread) that with the single dvi-input models, the backlight adjustments were made with a couple of the OSD buttons, and the rest just didn't do anything? Can someone confirm? With my multi-input model all the buttons work to access and configure the OSD. I've dug through all the menus, pressed every button there is, and I cannot for the life of me find the backlight level adjustment. Help?
BrucetheMoose mentions the backlight adjustment for his Lite version in his FAQ, there's even a pic of it when you scroll down. Are you sure you held the button down long enough to engage the setting? (about 1 to 2 seconds)

Not sure how the HDMI OSD version is setup, but don't give up on it, it may be buried in some sub menu. I'd be very surprised if that model didn't have backlight adjustments, and it would be worth noting if true.

Otherwise some keywords you'll use in a forum search is "multi hdmi"

Good luck.

I would check with one of the ebay sellers on this, but I would imagine that, with shipping, you'd be just as well off buying domestically and having a warranty, and not having to spend $120 to ship it back in the event that it's DOA of defective. Keep in mind that earlier in the thread someone posted apples guidelines for defective pixel returns and you'd have to have more dead or stuck pixels than most people ordering the A- panels have gotten in order to return an apple display(of course they just be nice and exchange it for you, but still, the guidelines exist.)

These monitors are great for several reasons. Large 27" size. 2560 x 1440 resolution. Most really like the gloss finish to the surface of the panel because it does not introduce any haze, even though slight that a traditional monitor would have through it's anti-glare coating. The biggest reason why 1,000's of these monitors have been sold is because of cost. They are an amazing deal for what you get,

In fact, these monitors have proved so popular, that predatory practices are now popping up in order
capitalize monetarily.

Let's not lose focus and get away from the core reason this monitor is so popular. Cost. Paying an additional $150 dollars in "fear tax" is just a clever way for a few people to profit off you through fear.

The chances are in your favor nearly 100% that you will get your monitor and that it will work without issue for a good handful of years. Don't let others use fear to profit off you. Just don't.

Get the monitor, it's $310 shipped now and just enjoy it.

BrucetheMoose mentions the backlight adjustment for his Lite version in his FAQ, there's even a pic of it when you scroll down. Are you sure you held the button down long enough to engage the setting? (about 1 to 2 seconds)

Not sure how the HDMI OSD version is setup, but don't give up on it, it may be buried in some sub menu. I'd be very surprised if that model didn't have backlight adjustments, and it would be worth noting if true.

Good luck.
I tried holding down buttons, rather than just pushing, still nothing. This is the ebay listing I bought it from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Achieva-Shi...6878?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c265a008e

I messaged the seller asking about backlight adjustment, this is their reply:
Here's what we got from the manufacturer.

Achieva Shimian QH270 IPSMS monitor only provide / adjustable for brightness and contrast.
There's no adjustable button or function for the backlight intensity level.

Please, any owners of the Shimian QH270, tell me which button you are pressing to adjust the backlight. Is it possible for an LCD monitor in 2012 to not be able to adjust the backlight level?

This is my monitor, with PS3 connected via HDMI:
e8Fl8.jpg

These are the OSD buttons on the rear:
9zN8i.jpg

Top round button is power, first button (marked "Source") controls input switching. Second button ("Menu") brings up the OSD (the top highlighted choice is just "Exit"):
WjeA6.jpg

"Positioning" and "Image Settings" are greyed out while using an HDMI connection, they are are analog (VGA) adjustments (I tried an Xbox 360 with VGA cable).

Outside of the OSD, the rest of the buttons perform a shortcut function. The third button (arrow right) toggles between 16:9 and 4:3 modes:
6PB7d.jpg

Fourth button (arrow left) brings up volume adjustment:
gWhiD.jpg

Fifth button (arrow up) does nothing by itself, and the sixth (last) button (arrow down) brings up Brightness/Contrast settings:
0Kr5A.jpg

Here are the other OSD menus:
wcUst.jpg

1QVPs.jpg

qyznR.jpg

The Brightness/Contrast menu is the same as shown above when pressing the shortcut button (arrow down button). "Initialize" is a factory reset of all the settings, DCR is dynamic contrast ratio.

I've also tried pressing combinations of buttons. The only thing that worked is when I pressed the power button and the last (arrow down) button at the same time, the screen started to cycle through red, green, blue, white and black screens, spending a few seconds at each color and on a repeating cycle. I guess this is to check for pixel problems? I had to push the power button to turn off the monitor and then turn it back on in order to stop the cycling.

Help! :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From his website, looks like the 1000 units is it. They can't make more of the 2B pcb due to LG control. It's their pcb.

Because we did a sort of organized group-buy ahead of time to buy the entire stock of monitors for our members that required the payment to be sent at once. And because $4.60 hasn't been an issue for...anyone, actually. Haven't heard any complaints about it.

In that case I hope you are marking them up to cover your risk that you offloaded off greensum.

1. Paypal account freeze due to the sudden intensity and amount of purchases. Everything will get screwed up.
2. People initiating chargebacks because their monitor's a lemon, broke during shipping, or simply couldn't explain to wife. This will lead to 1.
3. (1) due to fraud.
4. Liability if anything goes wrong.

In that case I hope you are marking them up to cover your risk that you offloaded off greensum.

1. Paypal account freeze due to the sudden intensity and amount of purchases. Everything will get screwed up.
2. People initiating chargebacks because their monitor's a lemon, broke during shipping, or simply couldn't explain to wife. This will lead to 1.
3. (1) due to fraud.

Yeah, HyperMatrix really stuck his neck out there. Hope he doesn't get burnt. Personally, I wouldn't have and instead would have made payment go straight to Greensum's PayPal account.

To be honest I would rather just get the non-OC version and wait until they can source the 2B boards.

To be honest I would rather just get the non-OC version and wait until they can source the 2B boards.

Don't hold your breath. The 2B board is an LG part and it looks like supplies are constrained/restricted by LG to 1000 max. It's possible they stopped making them and just don't have anymore. Website has more info.

Well after doing a month's worth of research and pondering on it some as well I've decided I'm going to buy one at the end of the month.

If it works out I'm going to be buying 2 more. Are the 2B's able to hit 100+ hz without the GTX 680's? And would it even be possible to get 3 2B's and have them all running 100+ hz with a GTX 680 SLI setup?

If that's going to be too much of a pain then I would rather just get a single GTX 680 for gaming and use the other 2 monitors for work at home.

Well after doing a month's worth of research and pondering on it some as well I've decided I'm going to buy one at the end of the month.

If it works out I'm going to be buying 2 more. Are the 2B's able to hit 100+ hz without the GTX 680's? And would it even be possible to get 3 2B's and have them all running 100+ hz with a GTX 680 SLI setup?

If that's going to be too much of a pain then I would rather just get a single GTX 680 for gaming and use the other 2 monitors for work at home.

I would not wait a month if you want OC'able boards. If you don't care about OCing, you should be fine to wait, considering prices on the QH270 keep falling every few days.

You can run SLI 560 ti 448's, 570's or 580's and push 100hz on at least one, but running 100hz across 3 doesn't seem likely on a single 680. It might be a stretch for two 680's. But if you're like me, my monitor is older than every other component of my system. This new one will hopefully last me 7 or so years like my samsung did. GPU's will catch up and be able to push 100hz across three before you get rid of them probably.

You can run SLI 560 ti 448's, 570's or 580's and push 100hz on at least one, but running 100hz across 3 doesn't seem likely on a single 680. It might be a stretch for two 680's. But if you're like me, my monitor is older than every other component of my system. This new one will hopefully last me 7 or so years like my samsung did. GPU's will catch up and be able to push 100hz across three before you get rid of them probably.

Really people, there is a difference between Refresh rate and Framerate. Yes, one 680 likely won't push 100+Fps across multiple 2560x1440 displays (depending on the game), but it WILL allow the displays to run at 120+Hz. SLI 680's can't break 101Hz, but they can potentially keep you at 100Fps (again, depending on game/settings).

let's keep the conversation relevant to displays, not interstate commerce

Like many others I have followed this thread daily from the start and know that almost everyone interest in these monitors is for over clocking and games.

I do not have and games on either of 3 computers which I and my wife use for small home office.
I have one computer which I use mostly watch videos - movies - edit video and work with pictures.
System is quad core 3.0 - SSD main drive - 1GB GeForce GT 240 Card with 22inch Samsung monitor.

I have been thinking about buying one of these monitors - a Catleap. My question is how you would compare with Dell or Samsung high end 27" monitors Cost $800 - $1,200
Manufacturer's specifications:
Resolution: 2,590x1,440 pixels
Pixel-response rate: 6ms
Contrast ratio: 1,000:1
Brightness: 400cd/m2
Connectivity: DVIx2, VGA, HDMI, Display Port, Component, Composite
HDCP compliant? Yes
Included video cables? DVI, VGA, Display Port
Backlight type: CCFL
Panel type: H-IPS
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Or 27" $300 - $400 range 1920x1080 resolution

I think Catleap is outstanding find at these prices for person as myself just wanting Larger and better monitor for personal use and not interested in overclocking.
Any and all suggestions or thoughts is greatly appreciated
Many thanks to Agenesis starter of this thread and also HyperMatrix for all follow up info

3. (1) due to fraud.

Nope. other than the 1% there is no markup by us. There is some risk but we attempted to limit it.

1) fortunately my paypal account is a 13 year verified business account
2) all but the "explain to wife" is covered by the warranty +free return shipping
3) we only ship to paypal addresses so that protects from everything but chargebacks
4) the sales agreement states no returns/refunds allowed. only exchange/warranty service through greensum. and all we are liable for is collecting cash + information, and passing it along to greensum. everything else greensum is liable for. and made sure to post that on the product page and also the sales agreement they must accept before completing their purchase.

its not perfect. we can still get burned. but i hope people who are buying these realize that and dont try to burn us. We'll definitely look at other options as you're right. It's far too much risk we're putting ourselves in for no good reason. -_-

Last edited:

Don't hold your breath. The 2B board is an LG part and it looks like supplies are constrained/restricted by LG to 1000 max. It's possible they stopped making them and just don't have anymore. Website has more info.
I know LG was never in the picture for Scribby's 2B PCB's.

Scribby sent his own personal 2B boards to another MFR to be reverse engineered and cloned.

Non OC Catleap owners still have some hope.

I know LG was never in the picture for Scribby's 2B PCB's.

Scribby sent his own personal 2B boards to another MFR to be reverse engineered and cloned.

Non OC Catleap owners still have some hope.

Awesome. I didn't know that. Good to hear, especially if the new manufacturer is successful at creating a high-quality board designed to be OC'd.

If you buy the PC bank2700 do you need a power adapter? Also what is this thing about some panels are A+ and some are A-? How can you tell the difference

If you buy the PC bank2700 do you need a power adapter? Also what is this thing about some panels are A+ and some are A-? How can you tell the difference
The PCBank power brick works in the US and Canada.

Here's the official thread on it: http://www.overclock.net/t/1228729/better-27-ips-from-korea-pcbank-3view-pb2700/0_50

All of these Korean IPS monitors use an A- panel, no guessing needed ;). Most are arriving in good to excellent condition in regards to pixels, panel and backlight anomolies.

What the hell.....it's been over 24 hours and no tracking # from Greensum. I messaged him via ebay around 12 pm our time asking if he knew when it might ship and stating that I ordered form him because I had heard that shipping was fast and customer service was good through him. That was way early in the AM in korea, it's now 12:30 pm there and no reply. I wanted this by friday, which is why I ordered when I did.

If there's no email by the time I wake up I'm going to cancel and go with another seller.

What the hell.....it's been over 24 hours and no tracking # from Greensum. I messaged him via ebay around 12 pm our time asking if he knew when it might ship and stating that I ordered form him because I had heard that shipping was fast and customer service was good through him. That was way early in the AM in korea, it's now 12:30 pm there and no reply. I wanted this by friday, which is why I ordered when I did.

If there's no email by the time I wake up I'm going to cancel and go with another seller.

Dunno if greensum is the same, but when I ordered from ta_planet it took a day or two to get my tracking #. By the time he sent me the number though, the monitor was already on its way to Alaska from Seoul. YMMV.

Please do update re: greensum. The price is right, but I'm curious about their current level of service (some ppl early-on were not terribly impressed).

Someone on Overclock.net ordered on May 3 and hasn't heard from him yet. I placed an order on May 7 and no word either...

That doesn't bode well.... My birthday is saturday. I was hoping to have my monitor by then. Anyone else order after may 3rd that's heard anything from him?

A whole 24 hours! Let's burn him at the stake! :rolleyes:

Just received mine today, perfect according to the note attached. However, the power brick seems messed up. Literally lit up for only a second and then never turned on again. Can't use my monitor without powering the damn thing- anyone got any ideas?

Please, any owners of the Shimian QH270, tell me which button you are pressing to adjust the backlight. Is it possible for an LCD monitor in 2012 to not be able to adjust the backlight level?

[...]

I've also tried pressing combinations of buttons. The only thing that worked is when I pressed the power button and the last (arrow down) button at the same time, the screen started to cycle through red, green, blue, white and black screens, spending a few seconds at each color and on a repeating cycle. I guess this is to check for pixel problems? I had to push the power button to turn off the monitor and then turn it back on in order to stop the cycling.

Help! :(

I own the same monitor and I myself wanted to change the backlight but it seems to be impossible.

Back