Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

if you want to test whether its a software/driver/configuration issue, or a monitor issue, leave your computer off in your bios. if you come back later and get a garbled screen...its the monitor. if its clear, then its a driver/setting issue as stated earlier.

I turned it on this morning and instead of loading my primary windows installation (vista) I booted into my win7 which has barely anything installed on it. It didn't give that wierd image but it did get a bsod and I managed to catch a glimpse of nvd**** something which is an nvidia driver. When I tried to re-enter into win7 the second time everything went ok. It's wierd though that from cold boot it crashes and the second time both vista and win7 work fine. :/

I turned it on this morning and instead of loading my primary windows installation (vista) I booted into my win7 which has barely anything installed on it. It didn't give that wierd image but it did get a bsod and I managed to catch a glimpse of nvd**** something which is an nvidia driver. When I tried to re-enter into win7 the second time everything went ok. It's wierd though that from cold boot it crashes and the second time both vista and win7 work fine. :/

I had something like this happen to me before, and it was the NVIDIA card dying :(. Replacing the card fixed the BSOD entirely.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had something like this happen to me before, and it was the NVIDIA card dying :(. Replacing the card fixed the BSOD entirely.

+1.

I was running a 5850 at first. Had no BIOS screens but everything displayed when it went into Win 7, Switched temporarily to old 640mb 8800 gts. Everything worked fine and I saw the BIOS screens. No issues but wanted a better card. Just recently replaced it with a steal of a deal (open box 6870 for 95.00 off NE) and can see BIOS and everything is where I want it to be gameplaying, surfing etc.

FWIW I infrequently get the wierd screen with vertical lines when i turn on the monitor. From other posts that seems normal (but I suspect a loose internal video cable.... maybe)

I would suspect that 8800gts you have is dying.

+1.

I was running a 5850 at first. Had no BIOS screens but everything displayed when it went into Win 7, Switched temporarily to old 640mb 8800 gts. Everything worked fine and I saw the BIOS screens. No issues but wanted a better card. Just recently replaced it with a steal of a deal (open box 6870 for 95.00 off NE) and can see BIOS and everything is where I want it to be gameplaying, surfing etc.

FWIW I infrequently get the wierd screen with vertical lines when i turn on the monitor. From other posts that seems normal (but I suspect a loose internal video cable.... maybe)

I would suspect that 8800gts you have is dying.

It could be possible I guess but I kinda doubt it because it started on the very next day that I got the catleap. With my older monitor it never happened.

Well i guess the only way you'll know for certain is to install another video card and if you get the same issue - then it's likely the monitor. My 8800gts had no issues playing Batman Arkham Asylum on low settings no AA full screen without overheating. So when you write your card is running hot..... I'm thinking the card is on it's last legs. Did you try different drivers?

It could be possible I guess but I kinda doubt it because it started on the very next day that I got the catleap. With my older monitor it never happened.
2560x1440 puts a noticeable amount of stress on a videocard compared to 1920x1080 & 1920x1200. Heatsinks are hotter, their fans run faster, and i'm pretty sure that more voltage would be flowing through the card as well.

The other posters may have been right when they said that your card may be on it's last legs or borderline defective.

2560x1440 puts a noticeable amount of stress on a videocard compared to 1920x1080 & 1920x1200. Heatsinks are hotter, their fans run faster, and i'm pretty sure that more voltage would be flowing through the card as well.

The other posters may have been right when they said that your card may be on it's last legs or borderline defective.

I can understand that but it doesn't make much sense about one thing. Why does it crash the first time from cold boot when loading windows and why after that initial crash it's able to go on all day without problems whatsoever no matter how many times I re-boot or how many games I play etc. (p.s it has never crashed during gaming no matter how demanding the game is).

I can understand that but it doesn't make much sense about one thing. Why does it crash the first time from cold boot when loading windows and why after that initial crash it's able to go on all day without problems whatsoever no matter how many times I re-boot or how many games I play etc. (p.s it has never crashed during gaming no matter how demanding the game is).
I should have re-mentioned what was already stated, an issue at the driver/firmware/bios level. Something probably isn't playing or communicating nicely, this is where some of us would upgrade drivers, one by one and trying to recreate the problem after every driver upgrade (video driver, mobo drivers, including audio). If that doesn't solve it then you upgrade the motherboard bios, then if that doesn't work then you contemplate swapping out the videocard.

Cold boots tend to reveal more problems by the way.

I'm nearly positive there's nothing wrong with the monitor itself, it's likely just revealing a flaw located elsewhere.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been using smaa injector a lot since I got the 2560x1440 screen. It helps get back a bit of the performance that was lost. Not that its 100% necessary in every game with a 680GTX though.

Oh.. I hope no dead/stuck pixel
Achieva Shimian Lite

I have Q: I have NV 570 , When playing games on 720p or 1080p does it show less sharpness than my currently 1080p TN panel? I mean by a lot or slightly less?

Is that the path your monitor took to get to you? South Korea to China to France to UAE to Kazakhstan to India to France to Saudi Arabia? Crazy!
That's what it seems (fedex by the way)

9mkHb.jpg

I just hope it arrive in a perfectly condition (still waiting for it to arrive to my city in west of saudi)

Q for those who have the monitor: I have NV 570 , When playing games on 720p or 1080p does it show less sharpness than my currently 1080p TN panel? I mean by a lot or slightly less?

Last edited:
Unless they used the package for transporting drugs or something. ;)
On which of the models can the tempered glass be removed (for cleaning) and reassembled?
The Shimian tempered glass can be removed (heatgun+credit card) but don't know if it can be put back on easily? Someone said that the Catleap tempered glass can easily be removed + put back on. How about the Crossover?

Does anyone have any pictures of these with tempered glass? Have seen pictures on ebay on the Shimian tempered but thats about it. No luck googling the other two brands either.. =(

Last edited:
Is there a reference page (wiki or otherwise) that has all the necessary information for these?
ie. all the different models and manufactures and the differences?

Also, are there any sellers that will check against dead pixels/dust?
I'd rather pay 10% more for a monitor with an assurances of no dead pixels.

Hey guys, rather than making a new thread i thought i would ask my question here.

Does anyone know how we can tilt these monitors forward or back (Achieva Shimian QH270) I have tried to force it but it wont budge. From what I have seen on the pictures some look tilted back a bit. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

I got my Achieva Shimian QH270-lite monitor last monday. After having it for 4 days i wanted to give some info out about my experience. I replaced a hp 2711x. I wanted the higher res. I have a 580gtx video card so I knew it would work fine. On monday I hooked it up, no dead pixels the stand does lean to the left a bit. I ordered a VESA stand off of amazon for 30 bucks but I havent gotten it in yet. Now, onto why I bought this monitor. I loaded up battlefield 3 and it was fantastic! I was quite happy. I didnt know any lag or input lag. Next I loaded up skyrim and thats when I realized I had made a great decision to get this monitor. The colors were great and was just stunned that I got this for 323.00 bucks. The plug in brick does run hot! Also the monitor didnt come with a correct power cable but i already had a few. I know that ordering these monitors are a crap shoot, some ive read were DOA or had lots of dead pixels. I'm happy, this is easily the best thing ive ever bought for my computer.

Catleap 2B 120hz monitors for only $459 shipped will be available very soon !!!

Published on 05-04-2012 08:30 AM

Hi guys. I know you've wanted details and have asked a ton of questions. Well, this is what we have so far. Here goes!

PRICE: $459.90 (shipping included)
PANEL: A- (as per standard 2B model)
SPEAKERS: Yes
PIXEL PERFECT: No
TEMPERED GLASS: No
INPUTS: Dual-Link DVI

SHIPPING: Express (only option)
PROCESSED BY: Greensum
WARRANTY: Yes. 1 Year. Through Greensum!
AVAILABILITY: 100 This Week. More details to come about the rest later.

HOW TO GET ONE: We will be updating the e-Shop link where you can purchase the monitor. This will be a Pre-Sale. So you would pay the full price for the monitor. There will only be 100 available for purchase.
LIMITED QUANTITIES: Our shop software is being updated. There is a possibility that a "limit" will not be imposed by the shopping cart. However, we reserve the right to limit/refund excessive orders. With demand being high, we hope to aim for a 1 Monitor Per Person order FOR THIS ROUND. That means you can buy another one next week!
COUNTRY RESTRICTIONS: Some countries will be restricted from sale due to warranty/shipping issues. In the near future (week or so) we may impose extra shipping costs to those countries to allow them access to the sale. So if you're in a less-popular country, ask us before ordering as we haven't received the full list of countries yet! Lithuania, for example...is in trouble.

Ripped from 120hz.net, and here's their forum discussion on it.

I was hoping it would be around 425 tops :(

You can't be serious, a 2560x1440 ips monitor than can reach 120 hz with 1 year warranty with free return shipping to Korea? I don't see anything else that can come close to double/triple that price.

Well, I just stumbled on all this. My U2711 isn't looking so great anymore... especially considering the price I paid.

I was hoping it would be around 425 tops :(
Turn that frown upside down because some of us were guessing it was going to be a $100 more. The HDMI model costs as much as the 120hz model, imagine paying all that extra for a silly hdmi port.

$459 shipped is a great deal for a product that many here have only dreamt about.

with a 1 year warranty with free return shipping to Korea? .
I really hope no one abuses that and ruins it for the rest of us. Remember this is an A- panel so, to be on the safe side, you have to assume it'll have a few dead or stuck pixels and some backlight bleed. Nothing wrong with hoping for a perfect unit though imho.

For those who can't bear the thought of a couple of stuck pixels, or some backlight bleed, then personally i recommend you stay far away.

Last edited:
You can't be serious, a 2560x1440 ips monitor than can reach 120 hz with 1 year warranty with free return shipping to Korea? I don't see anything else that can come close to double/triple that price.

Can you point out where you see free return shipping?

I really hope no one abuses that and ruins it for the rest of us. Remember this is an A- panel so, to be on the safe side, you have to assume it'll have a few dead or stuck pixels and some backlight bleed. Nothing wrong with hoping for a perfect unit though imho.

For those who can't bear the thought of a couple of stuck pixels, or some backlight bleed, then personally i recommend you stay far away.

I don't think it will be an issue as long as it's specifically stated what will and will not be covered and that your return for invalid reasons will result in you being billed for shipping both ways. That alone would stop anyone from any considering returning it for being an A- panel. However, that would also open up loopholes for both parties, concerns about backlight bleed etc. As long as everything is clearly worded and well thought out though, there should be little room for either party to exploit the situation to the disadvantage of the other.

That being said, the return shipping is obviously built into the price and profit margin so, some people will have no problem using the warranty to try and get a better one. I can't say I can fault them for that though because it would make me (and several other people) a hypocrite as I know I am not the only one that has returned/exchanged a domestic model for being "less than" even when it was priced "accordingly". At the same time though it's been explicitly stated that there will be no pixel perfect option so I agree that people should stay away if they intend to return the monitor until they get one with no pixel issues as that is obviously not even going to remotely be an option for the purchaser. It's almost a given these will follow the 5 to 10 pixel rule that is in place in Korea. They just need to explicitly state such and impose a penalty for people that fail to understand what they are agreeing to when they make the purchase.

1 year goes by pretty damn fast. Yeah, I don't see the value in that $450+ dollar monitor with 1 year warranty and return shipping whatsoever.

This is basically kinda like the pixel perfect thing some of those sellers were doing. They sell you the service and if there is a dead pixel, they refund you the "insurance" you paid.

Same difference here. They pocket the extra $120 - $130 and if the monitor dies, and chances are, it won't, that extra money they collected from you goes back to you in the form of shipping. Remember, 1 year warranty in Korea on these monitors actually means they get a free replacement which in turn is sent back out to the customer.

Think about it.

Spend $335 and be happy. A few dead pixels is not going to kill you. Don't give anyone your extra hard earned cash. Instead of someone making that extra profit and putting in their pocket, take your own money and buy you a 120GB SSD drive instead.

1 year goes by pretty damn fast. Yeah, I don't see the value in that $450+ dollar monitor with 1 year warranty and return shipping whatsoever.

This is basically kinda like the pixel perfect thing some of those sellers were doing. They sell you the service and if there is a dead pixel, they refund you the "insurance" you paid.

Same difference here. They pocket the extra $120 - $130 and if the monitor dies, and chances are, it won't, that extra money they collected from you goes back to you in the form of shipping. Remember, 1 year warranty in Korea on these monitors actually means they get a free replacement which in turn is sent back out to the customer.

Think about it.

Spend $335 and be happy. A few dead pixels is not going to kill you. Don't give anyone your extra hard earned cash. Instead of someone making that extra profit and putting in their pocket, take your own money and buy you a 120GB SSD drive instead.

But the higher refresh rate is why people are getting this.

Catleap 2B 120hz monitors for only $459 shipped will be available very soon !!!
Hi guys. I know you've wanted details and have asked a ton of questions. Well, this is what we have so far. Here goes!

PRICE: $459.90 (shipping included)
PANEL: A- (as per standard 2B model)
SPEAKERS: Yes
PIXEL PERFECT: No
TEMPERED GLASS: No
INPUTS: Dual-Link DVI

SHIPPING: Express (only option)
PROCESSED BY: Greensum
WARRANTY: Yes. 1 Year. Through Greensum!
AVAILABILITY: 100 This Week. More details to come about the rest later.

HOW TO GET ONE: We will be updating the e-Shop link where you can purchase the monitor. This will be a Pre-Sale. So you would pay the full price for the monitor. There will only be 100 available for purchase.
LIMITED QUANTITIES: Our shop software is being updated. There is a possibility that a "limit" will not be imposed by the shopping cart. However, we reserve the right to limit/refund excessive orders. With demand being high, we hope to aim for a 1 Monitor Per Person order FOR THIS ROUND. That means you can buy another one next week!
COUNTRY RESTRICTIONS: Some countries will be restricted from sale due to warranty/shipping issues. In the near future (week or so) we may impose extra shipping costs to those countries to allow them access to the sale. So if you're in a less-popular country, ask us before ordering as we haven't received the full list of countries yet! Lithuania, for example...is in trouble.
Ripped from 120hz.net, and here's their forum discussion on it.
After all the whining about OCN "wanting a cut" we find out it's going to cost $140+ extra! For...
  1. Worst stand out of all the 27" monitors. This is the one that sags and has the back break off in shipment.
  2. Gimmicky warranty - what does it cover? Who is it through? If the manufacturer, will they be around a year from now? Will they change their name to dodge warranty support? (know that many Asian companies don't put their name on their product because product designs are stolen or encroach on other companies patents) What kind of protection does one have regarding them following through with warranty support?
  3. Where does it ship from? Would we enjoy loose cables thanks to international shipping (imagine warranty shipping back and forth)?
  4. Will it have a proper power brick - one rated for 115V or a 90-230V type? Hopefully this is not the one that says 230V but seems to work on 115V - for now anyway.
  5. Not pixel perfect. Enjoy your premium-priced stuck pixels!
  6. 120Hz guarantee? I haven't seen any guarantee or mention of what speeds it will/should/could do. It seems this is just a 2B model and nothing else - you're paying more but it's still anyone's guess what speeds it can do.
  7. PayPal middleman - double fees. Instead of one person between you and the manufacturer there's now two. By the looks of it you pay Hyper who pays Greensum who pays the manufacturer. This likely means twice the PayPal fees are unnecessarily incurred (Hyper and Greensum each) at $15+ each.
  8. No eBay fees - Hey, this isn't through eBay so that means the price should be less since eBay is not taking a $18+ cut, right? Apparently not...
It's great that this is available, but it's obvious that someone is jacking the price up. This doesn't appear to be any different (besides the warranty which lacks important details ATM) than the 2Bs the manufacturer was shipping out a couple months ago, but now it's got a $140+ markup! It costs the same to make this model as the others - the boards were made a while ago.

And something no one has seemed to ask - does this panel have an AG finish? This was a major selling point for this monitor from the beginning.

At this point I hope Scribby makes progress on the boards. There is little reason (besides the obvious) why they should cost more than $50, especially if they are being made overseas.

I got my Shimian 2 days after ordering from ta_planet for $328 and couldn't be happier, only problem with my unit is 1 dust particle in the lower left quadrant but its hardly noticeable, for the price I am ecstatic!

Edit: Looks like the problem is the refresh rate. The problems only occur at 57hz or higher. I had to create custom .infs to underclock the unit to alleviate the problem. 56hz or less and the screen works fine. Slightly disappointing, but definitely usable now.

I got my Shimian on Monday from ta_planet. Well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

It's a crap shoot, and unfortunately I came up with snake eyes. I've tested this with four diffent dual link DVI-cables with both PCs in my sig. The biggest kick in the nutsack came from UPS and FedEx...both wanted close to $300 to ship it to Korea. USPS was more reasonable and only wanted $175. I'm going to take this apart and see what I can do with my trusty soldering iron.

Last edited:
At this point I hope Scribby makes progress on the boards. There is little reason (besides the obvious) why they should cost more than $50, especially if they are being made overseas.
Re: Scribby's 2B PCB boards + harnesses.

If it's two boards (T-con + main) and two separately sourced harnesses it'll have to cost more than $50. Even just a T-con and two harnesses will be pushing it at $50 imho (can't remember the exact config needed).

Personally i'm prepared to spend $100 but we all see different value in these things so i don't expect others to feel the same way. I recently ended up with a 2C Catleap btw, didn't think the 120hz monitors would pan out so quickly and below $500, so now i have my fingers crossed for 2B PCB's.

Last edited:
After all the whining about OCN "wanting a cut" we find out it's going to cost $140+ extra! For...
  1. Worst stand out of all the 27" monitors. This is the one that sags and has the back break off in shipment. Yeah, the Catleap stand is pretty bad. The back "arch" has only broken off of one monitor that we know of. And the arch is useless ony to serve to get in the way of the VESA mounts.
  2. Gimmicky warranty - what does it cover? Who is it through? If the manufacturer, will they be around a year from now? Will they change their name to dodge warranty support? (know that many Asian companies don't put their name on their product because product designs are stolen or encroach on other companies patents) What kind of protection does one have regarding them following through with warranty support? It's got the BEST warranty out of all of the Korean monitors, since it includes return shipping. If you're complaining about warranty... you're thinking of the wrong monitors. Go buy something else.
  3. Where does it ship from? Would we enjoy loose cables thanks to international shipping (imagine warranty shipping back and forth)? What makes it any different from any other Korean monitor?
  4. Will it have a proper power brick - one rated for 115V or a 90-230V type? Hopefully this is not the one that says 230V but seems to work on 115V - for now anyway.Good question; I think they have covered that, but I don't remember where it is.
  5. Not pixel perfect. Enjoy your premium-priced stuck pixels! Except you probably won't get stuck pixels. And even if there was a pixel perfect garuntee, it's a ZERO SUM GAME. If you don't get them, somebody else will. And perfect pixel garuntee is pretty much a scam anyhow.
  6. 120Hz guarantee? I haven't seen any guarantee or mention of what speeds it will/should/could do. It seems this is just a 2B model and nothing else - you're paying more but it's still anyone's guess what speeds it can do. That's all this ever was, I don't know why you would expect a manufacturer to garuntee 120hz. You don't see Intel garunteeing that i7 2600k's can reach 5GHz, yet people still pay the $30-40 premium for non-garunteed overclocking; and those aren't even special runs! Did you expect to get a redesign for a limited number manufacturing run and NOT pay a significant premium?
  7. PayPal middleman - double fees. Instead of one person between you and the manufacturer there's now two. By the looks of it you pay Hyper who pays Greensum who pays the manufacturer. This likely means twice the PayPal fees are unnecessarily incurred (Hyper and Greensum each) at $15+ each. Dunno how this will work.
  8. No eBay fees - Hey, this isn't through eBay so that means the price should be less since eBay is not taking a $18+ cut, right? Apparently not... Nor this.
It's great that this is available, but it's obvious that someone is jacking the price up. This doesn't appear to be any different (besides the warranty which lacks important details ATM) than the 2Bs the manufacturer was shipping out a couple months ago, but now it's got a $140+ markup! It costs the same to make this model as the others - the boards were made a while ago. Of course someone is jacking the price up. This is a custom run, a special order for 1000 units. The 2B boards are more expensive to use in these monitors than the newer versions, that's why they switched to them. They've provided free return shipping. And all that costs money, and not just $50 worth.

And something no one has seemed to ask - does this panel have an AG finish? This was a major selling point for this monitor from the beginning. It does not. As you said, it is exactly the same as the old Catleap 2B models.

The boards will likely cost $100+, as per what Scribby has said so far.

It seems that you have really weird expectations. When the 2B Catleaps were widely available in February/early March, these monitors cost ~$375-$400. Now, you get a better warranty, off of a custom run, and it is said to cost $450. That's the comparison that should be made if you want to compare to previous 2B's.

The Achieva IPSB (w/Glass) is only $318 from greensum now! I wonder how cheap these will get..

It seems that you have really weird expectations.
High hopes and low expectations are what's needed for price announcements. It would be great if they lowered the price for follow-up runs, but i wouldn't expect it because there is no seller competition, the product is a one of a kind, there are at least two layers of middle-men involved, and Green-Sum has the appearance of being shrewd with his pricing.

The 3 to 4 separately sourced parts needed for Scribby's 2B PCB's were probably never going to be below $100, he should never have included the $50 amount in his poll because it fostered unrealistic expectations imho (i'm sure he either meant well with the $50 poll selection, or or was trying to guage serious buyers vs lowballers, which would be pretty funny if true). The multiple parts needed, which includes the rare harnesses, were announced from day one, so that should come as no surprise unless they skimmed over the details, but we've all been guilty of that. I tried casually sourcing the parts for a couple of weeks myself, but gave up in frustration, especially over those rare harnesses because i could never get a straight answer from anyone i emailed. Scribby's tenacity has brought some results though, lets hope the rest pans out, my wallet will be the first to thank him ;)

Last but not least, everyone that's done some legwork has a right to make a fair profit, this is irrefutable (OCN did NOT do any legwork, hence the justifiable backlash). Now as for what constitutes a "fair profit" i'll let other's debate that point.

Last edited:
[*]120Hz guarantee? I haven't seen any guarantee or mention of what speeds it will/should/could do. It seems this is just a 2B model and nothing else - you're paying more but it's still anyone's guess what speeds it can do.
It's odd that it was omitted here, but it has been stated with absolutely certainty on 120hz.net that these monitors are guaranteed to do a minimum of 100hz. That's the entire point of this special run.

I am curious about the AG though. Are these glossy?

Back