Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

That's really weird...what video card, what OS, and what refresh rate are you running at? Do you have anything like Powerstrip, or Rivatuner installed?

That's really weird...what video card, what OS, and what refresh rate are you running at? Do you have anything like Powerstrip, or Rivatuner installed?

8800GTS, Vista 32bit, 60Hz... I only have rivatuner which I use for monitoring GPU temps (mine overheats as hell no matter what I do). Wierd thing is that today when I turned on my pc and it did that again I noticed that the mouse pointer was showing properly so it's not a completely garbage image. I ll probably uninstall rivatuner and try later and see if it makes a difference.

I still haven't decided which to get. How does playing console games on 720p using a hdmi->dual link dvi cable compare to playing it over native 1080p on this screen?

I still haven't decided which to get. How does playing console games on 720p using a hdmi->dual link dvi cable compare to playing it over native 1080p on this screen?

Consoles? You wont notice much difference since hardly anything decent actually runs at 1080p on consoles anyhow, except maybe the XBOX 360 Dashboard.... most games also run at a crappy 30FPS at the most. If you want this monitor then consoles aren't going to make it shine, even if you can get a version of this monitor with the required built-in scaler.... (multi input versions)

You cannot "convert" HDMI to dual-link DVI, not without a scaler anyhow. HDMI on everything we use is single-link. (I have not seen a "Type B" dual-link HDMI plug in my life, and pictures of them are rare too even, lets just say they are wider and have more pins)

720p -> 1440p is a much more natural conversion than 1080p -> 1440p.

These monitors have me very interested in replacing my ASUS 24" LCD. I am currently stationed in Korea as well, and know of many places to go shopping for electronics. I just havent really taken the time to look around at the the monitors. I'll definitely be looking for these the next time I am up at Yongsan.

So what's the closest thing we have on offer here in North America? The ZR2740w? Cheap-ish, no OSD, pretty bare bones. Granted, almost twice the cost once you factor in the shipping on the HP. Sorry if the comparison has already been made, but what are the major differences?

Next to no warranty support on the Shimian. I've used HP warranty several times in the past and have found them to be relatively excellent.

No AG coat on the Shimian, standard HP AG on the ZR2740w (I own an HP LP2475w so I'm quite used to it, but I do inhabit the perfect viewing environment to enjoy a glossy panel).

Better build quality on the HP, maybe a few more connections?

Reviews are showing the HP to have somewhat decent black levels for an IPS screen. Has anyone taken the time to measure the Shimian or even the Catleap in terms of color accuracy, black levels, etc?\

A $350 27" glossy 2560x1440 sounds like utter nonsense ... and yet, here it is. Very tempting.

You can buy a SquareTrade warranty on the eBay Korean monitors and that will cover you after 45 days for 3 years.

You can buy a SquareTrade warranty on the eBay Korean monitors and that will cover you after 45 days for 3 years.

The last time anyone mentioned the SquareTrade warranty (back when these first broke onto the scene), it wouldn't pick up until the manufacturer's warranty of 1 year expired. Did something change?

Consoles? You wont notice much difference since hardly anything decent actually runs at 1080p on consoles anyhow, except maybe the XBOX 360 Dashboard.... most games also run at a crappy 30FPS at the most. If you want this monitor then consoles aren't going to make it shine, even if you can get a version of this monitor with the required built-in scaler.... (multi input versions)

You cannot "convert" HDMI to dual-link DVI, not without a scaler anyhow. HDMI on everything we use is single-link. (I have not seen a "Type B" dual-link HDMI plug in my life, and pictures of them are rare too even, lets just say they are wider and have more pins)

Ah, then how are the people playing it at 720p? Do they just play over a standard HDMI to single-link DVI cable then?

I'm not much of a console gamer myself but I have rare occasions where I do connect up my console. However, from here it goes separate ways as I may connect it up more frequently if I move out and therefore won't have a TV. Or on the other hand if I can't find a job or something then it'll be less as I'll be too busy trying to find a job. I know for sure next year I won't have a chance to play games though as it's my final year at uni.

720p -> 1440p is a much more natural conversion than 1080p -> 1440p.

Hmm, that is food for thought. But by that logic, is the only reason for people getting the IPSMS model (the one with HDMI) so that they can have an additional connection without the need for switching cables, because if it's more natural then it's probably better IQ wise right?

Without the scaler, don't HDMI-DVI connections show up as using only a portion of the screen? (That is, the number of pixels they are using - so you'd have a large black border).

SquareTrade coverage starts on the 46th day. See link:

http://pages.ebay.com/warranty/squaretrade.html

Interesting, I wonder why SquareTrade was telling people that called them about it otherwise.

Without the scaler, don't HDMI-DVI connections show up as using only a portion of the screen? (That is, the number of pixels they are using - so you'd have a large black border).

As far as I am aware, the lack of scaling would map it to a 1:1 in the center just like turning off scaling on the video card would do. However, I'm under the impression that the Korean monitors (barring the multi ones) require a dual link DVI signal in order to show a picture. If that's the case, you would need a HDMI>active dual link DVI converter to get a picture and said picture would be mapped to the middle unless the console can scale it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got myself a PCBank today and it's awesome. Only had to pay £11.35 in customs as well. Bargain!

I love my PCBank, perfect pixel and no noticeable backlight bleed. Get the ICC profiles off the PCBank topic at OCN.

Interesting, I wonder why SquareTrade was telling people that called them about it otherwise.

As far as I am aware, the lack of scaling would map it to a 1:1 in the center just like turning off scaling on the video card would do. However, I'm under the impression that the Korean monitors (barring the multi ones) require a dual link DVI signal in order to show a picture. If that's the case, you would need a HDMI>active dual link DVI converter to get a picture and said picture would be mapped to the middle unless the console can scale it.
The Catleap 2C revision takes an incoming 720P signal and applies what's known as "pixel doubling" to stretch the picture over the whole panel while maintaining a level of sharpness, all with no scaler, which is nice :)

Not sure if the Catleap Rev 2D is capable of pixel doubling (?), i don't recall it being mentioned. We know the earlier Rev 2B couldn't do it so caveat emptor with rev 2B and rev 2D.

Anyone know if these are HDCP compliant?

Not sure if anyone answered this as I could not find this information before I ordered myself. I got the Shimian and it says hdcp compliant in nvidia control panel and I'm able to watch live cable.

Reviews are showing the HP to have somewhat decent black levels for an IPS screen. Has anyone taken the time to measure the Shimian or even the Catleap in terms of color accuracy, black levels, etc?\

A $350 27" glossy 2560x1440 sounds like utter nonsense ... and yet, here it is. Very tempting.

I can only compare it to my Samsung T260. Image quality is much much better on the Shimian. But we are talking IPS vs TN. It actually does look pretty comparible to the 27" Cinema Display I looked at the other day.

The Catleap multi's have been able to over clock right? Not the Shimians? I sold my Crossover and would like one with HDMI. I may just wait for the Samsung S27A970 which probably won't be out until Fall...

The Catleap 2C revision takes an incoming 720P signal and applies what's known as "pixel doubling" to stretch the picture over the whole panel while maintaining a level of sharpness, all with no scaler, which is nice :)

Not sure if the Catleap Rev 2D is capable of pixel doubling (?), i don't recall it being mentioned. We know the earlier Rev 2B couldn't do it so caveat emptor with rev 2B and rev 2D.

That's right, I remember reading that now. Thank you for the correction/reminder. I knew people that had performance issues were scaling down to 1280x720 in games since it had a minimal effect on quality but I had forgotten some of the Catleaps could double the 1280x720 signal from the consoles to 2560x1440.

That's right, I remember reading that now. Thank you for the correction/reminder. I knew people that had performance issues were scaling down to 1280x720 in games since it had a minimal effect on quality but I had forgotten some of the Catleaps could double the 1280x720 signal from the consoles to 2560x1440.
What's funny is what i was thinking as i was typing that reply:

"I bet he knew this at one time, but probably forgot" :p

The Catleap multi's have been able to over clock right? Not the Shimians? I sold my Crossover and would like one with HDMI. I may just wait for the Samsung S27A970 which probably won't be out until Fall...
I don't remember...

Hopefully someone here remembers if the Catleap Multi's are capable of a good refresh rate overclock?

So thinking about buying two of these, but currently only have a 6950 2GB. My understanding is that my card only has one Dual-Link DVI port. Would it be possible to get a second 6950 and run crossfire and drive two of these displays?

Thanks

What's funny is what i was thinking as i was typing that reply:

"I bet he knew this at one time, but probably forgot" :p

There has just been so much back and forth on those monitors and when combined with my own display adventures since Januaray, it all gets a bit fuzzy lol.

So thinking about buying two of these, but currently only have a 6950 2GB. My understanding is that my card only has one Dual-Link DVI port. Would it be possible to get a second 6950 and run crossfire and drive two of these displays?

Thanks

That will not help you with hooking the second monitor up beyond giving some extra "oomph" to your system. When you crossfire or SLi, all the monitors have to be hooked up to the main video card (or they can be daisy-chained to each other in Crossfire but the monitors have to be physically capable of being daisy-chained and these aren't). You should be able to use a mini display port to an active dual link DVI adapter though which would allow you to hook up both monitors to the main video card.

That will not help you with hooking the second monitor up beyond giving some extra "oomph" to your system. When you crossfire or SLi, all the monitors have to be hooked up to the main video card (or they can be daisy-chained to each other in Crossfire but the monitors have to be physically capable of being daisy-chained and these aren't). You should be able to use a mini display port to an active dual link DVI adapter though which would allow you to hook up both monitors to the main video card.

Thanks for the information!

Final quick question, as I am planning a new 3770k based system as well, would the integrated HD4000 be able to drive one of the displays, while the 6950 drives the other?

Final quick question, as I am planning a new 3770k based system as well, would the integrated HD4000 be able to drive one of the displays, while the 6950 drives the other?

Yup, as long as the motherboard you choose has a Dual-Link DVI port.

The Z68 and Z77 boards will only support 2560x1440 via the display port. Thus, you'll need to get an active adapter like the one I linked above. Check your motherboard specs.

Ok, I got mine in on Monday. I had a HP 2711x. No dead pixels and the res is awesome. Skyrim/battlefield 3 is something to behold! Now, i do have some backlight bleed in the bottom right and top left. But I can't complain. I sold my hp for 230 so this monitor only costed me 100 bucks. The power supply DOES run really warm. Im wondering if I should by another one?

Looks like they provided the correct power brick so you're ok. It should get warm not burning hot to the touch.

8800GTS, Vista 32bit, 60Hz... I only have rivatuner which I use for monitoring GPU temps (mine overheats as hell no matter what I do). Wierd thing is that today when I turned on my pc and it did that again I noticed that the mouse pointer was showing properly so it's not a completely garbage image. I ll probably uninstall rivatuner and try later and see if it makes a difference.

if you want to test whether its a software/driver/configuration issue, or a monitor issue, leave your computer off in your bios. if you come back later and get a garbled screen...its the monitor. if its clear, then its a driver/setting issue as stated earlier.

All motherboards Z77 only have single DVI Port with 1920x1080p as a max display. Only with display port you'll be able to use 1440p. So you need a conversor cable. Or a new GPU. I guess i will wait for GTX 670. I was thinking of using HD4000, but i think with 1440p it will struggle to keep alive.

How can I preorder one to canda? what are the sellers and to they upscale well If I play at lower resolution fullscreen?

I got my Crossover. Zero dead or stuck pixels. The picture was rather cool to begin with, however, I have a good colorimeter (a Xrite i1 Display Pro) and calibrated it pretty easily. Overall, I'm pretty happy, but I think I figured out how these are not A+ panels, however. Mine, at least, has a very VERY slight color shift away from center when viewing anything white/grey. It either becomes slightly warmer or slightly cooler. Calibration cannot remedy this. However- again- it's extremely minor and very hard to notice unless you're looking for it with the correct content. It's definitely not worth going with a Western display at 2X+ the cost.

These are gaming monitors, pure and simple. The color shift issue that I mention above is literally impossible to find in any sort of game, graphic, or photo. The lack of OSD results in crazy low input lag, and while it might be in my head, I think I can feel a real positive difference compared to my old Dell PVA 24" panel.

Anyone know if a ~$10 mDP -> DL-DVI cable from eBay will work or must it be "active"?

Last edited:
Back