Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

To stop people from buying? To simply slow demand? Or is there some other reason.

So my QH270 lite has been pixel perfect save for a tiny bottom bezel backlight bleed... except for one major issue. This is not my picture, but I have had this happen!

That also happens to me when I set the refresh rate too high. I only got it up to 65hz with CRU. At 70hz, I get what happened in that picture as soon as I get to Windows login screen.

I will update this thread with an epically frustrating story.

I purchased my Shimian-lite over 1 month ago. From the first day I got it, I was unable to get anything to display on it. I tried the following things:
  • Bought a US-specific power brick
  • Tried 3 different video cards: ASUS 6950 DCUII, XFX 5870HD, and Nvidia 8800GT.
  • Tried 2 different computers
  • Tried 4 different DVI cables (all tested on other setups)
  • Opened the monitor to check for loose whatever
  • Lots of different monitor config setups
Even after all this stuff, I figured the monitor was bad. Since shipping to Korea is ~$100, I wanted to be sure before I returned it. My expectation was that the seller would verify the bad monitor and ship me a replacement.

Lo and behold, the seller emails me and tells me the monitor works. I was pretty dumbfounded. He even has a full video capture of them unboxing my return, removing all packaging, and plugging it in for testing. I was amazed. Unfortunately his video looked legit, so I agreed to only a partial refund.

I am pretty sad and pissed. I would love one of these monitors, but I have no idea how to drive it correctly, even with my rather extensive array of hardware. Either I was the victim of a really well-designed con on his end, or literally no hardware I have drives the monitor correctly (WTF).

I am a really sad panda. :( I am now out > $250 trying to get that thing to work, and have nothing to show for it. I really hope nobody else has the same issues I had.

Hey I just got 2 Shimian lites myself and at first could not get them to display anything either. Plug them in and all i get is the backlight to come on. Windows sees them but no image on screen.

I had to open both of them up and re-seat one of the cables and then both of them worked fine.

Im stuck at work but I will try to upload a picture to show which cable needed adjusting in the morning. If you have not already shipped it back it may be worth another shot re-seating the cable

I was really disappointed with amount of packing material. Inside the box there was hard styrofoam and outside it was 2 layers of small bubble wrap. I'm not surprised shipping jarred the cables loose.

So then are these still worth getting or are there lots of problems being experienced?

I'm attracted to the resolution and IPS panel mostly (plus the not so strong AG coating is a bonus) but is it worth risking getting a dud? Are most people getting functional panels?

Yep, it does the same thing to me from time to time. Seems to be connected with a resume from sleep along with turning on the monitor from its switch (timing could vary, I don't pay that close attention to it).

Every time it has happened I have fixed it by pressing spacebar a few times (making sure the machine is "awake" and displaying the login window or desktop) and turning the monitor off and back on from the button the the back. Picture comes back as normal, no issues.

what he said. happens to me occasionally too w/ resume from sleep.

I just want to share information about Spec,Variant LG IPS PANEL 27" 2560x1440
This panel most use by korean monitor brands like ACHIEVA,CATLEAP,CROSSOVER,PCBANK
To find out which panel are using you must disassemble the monitor:D
Hope placed on the first page

LM270WQ2=CCFL

Specs 1
123exz.jpg

Specs 2
456qi.jpg

LM270WQ1=LED

Specs1
28756133.jpg

Specs 2
42784763.jpg

Specs 3
57559282.jpg

Specs 4
64995470.jpg

Specs 5
16514363.jpg

Specs 6
678g.jpg

Specs 7
910ng.jpg

Last edited:
Just received a Catleap Q270 SE from dcsamsungmall yesterday. That guy is a beast at shipping! It was still in Korea Monday morning when I received the tracking number, and it arrived in Portland, OR at 1PM Tuesday!

It was just the Yamakasi box wrapped in 2 or 3 layers of bubble wrap, a little bit tore off along the top but no damage to the box itself. Monitor itself seems perfect from just normal usage, no visible dead or stuck pixels, no uneven backlighting or weird spots. And while the U2412M isn't super heavy on the AG, I hadn't realized how much I missed having a glossy monitor. And upon moving the Dell to replace my 6 year old Viewsonic, I hadn't realized how dim the Viewsonic had gotten over the years!

The one downside to this gorgeous monitor, as others have stated, is the stand. I don't notice much of a lean, but the stand is much more wobbly than I was expecting; it shakes quite a bit when I'm typing. What stands were other people using to replace the standard one?

Hmm I ordered 2 catleaps on eBay and just got them now. One of them is a 2B!

Fun fact: There may be a way to tell without opening the boxes...
The 2 monitor boxes have a "SE" sticker on them, the sticker on the 2D is a green circle, where the 2B was a yellow star....

Last edited:
Congrats on the 2B spykes. Would you be so kind as to share the seller name and whether or not you purchased "perfect pixel"?

bigclothcraft I think? Yes. They wont check whats in the boxes for you however...

And yes I purchased a perfect pixel model, at least one of them does indeed have perfect pixels, never got around to plugging the 2D one in yet heh.

Hey I just got 2 Shimian lites myself and at first could not get them to display anything either. Plug them in and all i get is the backlight to come on. Windows sees them but no image on screen.

I had to open both of them up and re-seat one of the cables and then both of them worked fine.
I did the same thing with mine. I disassembled everything I could, and re-plugged all the cables. I'm sure it was not a cable connection issue. IMHO the internal cabling is poor, because they aren't very securely fastened. I can see why they might come loose in shipping.

Playerwares reviewed the Crossover 2720MDP Gold

http://www.playwares.com/xe/22822289

I went through their review, the unit they tested sucks, but that doesnt mean they all will since there seem to be some large panel variations amongst the Crossovers.

-Terrible contrast @ less than 500:1...other Korean displays they reviewed have around 1100:1 contrast
-Poor average gamma around 2.00 (the other Korean displays, except for the PCBANK also had low average gammas=washed out colour)
-terrible colour temperature out of the box @10,000k (target is 65000k, the others were around 6200k)
-Pixel Response times are higher than those of the other Korean displays
+good IPS viewing angles
+lots of connectivity

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Go for the Catleap or Shimian mult-input models instead. Though Crossover makes the nicest looking displays and has the best build quality stand/bezel wise (imo) they also seem to have the worst picture quality variances.

I would get the Shimian over the catleap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Achieva-Shi..._Monitors&hash=item1c265a008e#ht_15153wt_1163

Catleap Multi
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=YAMAKASI+CATLEAP+Q270+LED+MULTI

Hmm tempting. I initially was leaning towards the Crossover in part because of the higher quality stand (I don't have room on my desk to attach a stand to the back of it as it is right up against the wall and I want to be able to move it back/forward at times), partly because I have a cat who will bump into repeatedly and I don't want it to topple :eek:

I also was liking the idea of having displayport as a way of futureproofing... I have held onto my 2405FPW since it was initially released, so that gives some sense of how long I would like this to last too... but I guess I'd hate having a crappy panel far more than not having a displayport :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did the same thing with mine. I disassembled everything I could, and re-plugged all the cables. I'm sure it was not a cable connection issue. IMHO the internal cabling is poor, because they aren't very securely fastened. I can see why they might come loose in shipping.

Well I don't know if it will help you but if anyone else has the same problem, here is a picture of the cable i had to re-seat in order to get an image on screen

http://imgur.com/jxWlk

So anyone get 2 of them and have completely different color temperatures on each one? One is nice and warm (2B), and the other is extremely cool (2D)....

The panels are identical, just the control boards are different of course. I wonder if when i get the 2B PCB's will this large difference in color temperature match my current 2B....

I can kill data to the panel and get white lines, and these white lines match the whites on my 2B, so panel seems identical to me.

Anyone know any hardware mods yet to change the default color temperature?
Changing the temperature in the OS is not very good as this is something that needs adjusted in the display hardware for best results.... (especially if you want it to match the other)

Last edited:
Currently, the Multi-input versions that I've seen have mostly (all?) been oc'able. But they're also been reported to have 3x the input lag of the standard single-input models. Will everyone notice that? Probably not. I'm an FPS'er though, and can't risk it.

Also, the new website is up. I just sent out messages to bQvle and Scribby to get them set up shop over there. Unless something has changed in the last 2 days, this should not be an issue. We shall find out soon, hopefully. And once there's actually some content on the new site, I'll post the link.

Hi HyperMatrix,
Thanks for doing this! Also to bQvle and Scribby too. :p

Do you happen to know if there would be a HDMI version for this groupbuy? or is strictly the lite-basic versions?

For those who have the lite-basic version, what hdmi/dvi adaptor are you using to allow ps3/xbox viewing?

Thanks!

For those who have the lite-basic version, what hdmi/dvi adaptor are you using to allow ps3/xbox viewing?

Thanks!

I have this question too. I used an old DVI-HDMI adapter I found to hook up my Xbox, and it works fine for about 2-3 minutes, but then white dots/artifacts start appearing on the screen and eventually it just starts fading to black like it's being turned on and off repeatedly. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my cable or if it's some other issue. I have the Shimian QH270-lite.

Hi HyperMatrix,
Thanks for doing this! Also to bQvle and Scribby too. :p

Do you happen to know if there would be a HDMI version for this groupbuy? or is strictly the lite-basic versions?

Thanks!

Hi. There would be no HDMI in this version. Keep in mind that while I understand it is very beneficial for some to have a scaler so they can plug in a PS3/Xbox360, the 2-3x higher input lag on the monitor would turn off a lot of people who want this as a performance gaming monitor. So we never asked for an HDMI option.

I should note...it has been hard enough making these monitors in the same manner as before without trying to make extra adjustments. But I should also add that from what I had heard, the Multi-Input versions of the Catleap were already OC-Capable up until a couple weeks ago at least? I haven't heard of that changing but I've been so busy with getting our site up that I haven't kept up to date on anything other than the 2B Overclock Edition monitors.

And I haven't been lazy. I've put in roughly 12 hours a day to get the site up. And it is done. All we're waiting for is some final tweaking and polishing. Then it'll be ready.

I should also add that these monitors will not be sold in a "group buy" format. I'm not actually sure what a group buy is. -_- Basically you will order the monitor yourself. And it will come to you. No arranging or organizing with anyone else.

I'm incredibly psyched about the launch of the website and if I could push the button now, I would. Actually, don't need to push any buttons. The site is up. We just haven't told anyone the web address as we play around and make sure everything goes smoothly when we invite you over.

Anyway, I'm rambling. It's noon and I've been working on the site through the night. Lol. Going to see if I can just skip sleep alltogether today. Keep reading for more info to come soon!

I'm a bit unclear on this, so are the 2B PCB's going to be sold separately too, or just whole displays? That'd be really, really great for those of us who already have a display but want the extra refresh rate without purchasing a new one. I already have a nearly flawless panel and don't want to risk getting one that's any worse...

I'm a bit unclear on this, so are the 2B PCB's going to be sold separately too, or just whole displays? That'd be really, really great for those of us who already have a display but want the extra refresh rate without purchasing a new one. I already have a nearly flawless panel and don't want to risk getting one that's any worse...

This is just for the full displays. I don't think anyone is selling standalone 2B boards.

I have this question too. I used an old DVI-HDMI adapter I found to hook up my Xbox, and it works fine for about 2-3 minutes, but then white dots/artifacts start appearing on the screen and eventually it just starts fading to black like it's being turned on and off repeatedly. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my cable or if it's some other issue. I have the Shimian QH270-lite.

Did you try setting it to 720p?

Did you try setting it to 720p?

Would something like this (hdmi/dvi adaptor) get the ps3/xbox to work on the Lite Monitors?

http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/ref=pd_cp_e_2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi. There would be no HDMI in this version. Keep in mind that while I understand it is very beneficial for some to have a scaler so they can plug in a PS3/Xbox360, the 2-3x higher input lag on the monitor would turn off a lot of people who want this as a performance gaming monitor. So we never asked for an HDMI option.

I should note...it has been hard enough making these monitors in the same manner as before without trying to make extra adjustments. But I should also add that from what I had heard, the Multi-Input versions of the Catleap were already OC-Capable up until a couple weeks ago at least? I haven't heard of that changing but I've been so busy with getting our site up that I haven't kept up to date on anything other than the 2B Overclock Edition monitors.

And I haven't been lazy. I've put in roughly 12 hours a day to get the site up. And it is done. All we're waiting for is some final tweaking and polishing. Then it'll be ready.

I should also add that these monitors will not be sold in a "group buy" format. I'm not actually sure what a group buy is. -_- Basically you will order the monitor yourself. And it will come to you. No arranging or organizing with anyone else.

I'm incredibly psyched about the launch of the website and if I could push the button now, I would. Actually, don't need to push any buttons. The site is up. We just haven't told anyone the web address as we play around and make sure everything goes smoothly when we invite you over.

Anyway, I'm rambling. It's noon and I've been working on the site through the night. Lol. Going to see if I can just skip sleep alltogether today. Keep reading for more info to come soon!

I just want to tell you that I think you are doing a great job. I really appreciate it!

This is just for the full displays. I don't think anyone is selling standalone 2B boards.
They are trying to get their hands on both 2B displays and 2B PCB boards. Hypermatrix and Scribby will keep us posted on both.

I may be wrong but it sounds as if the 2B PCB boards will take a little longer, but the contacts have been established. Special cables will be also be needed and sourced, and it will not be compatible with all of the Korean IPS monitors.

PCBs arrived in China yesterday and they have ok'd making the PCBs themselves (creating the gerber file). However, they are having a hard time with the BOM - component list - and that will take some time to source. I believe they will be sourcing these over to another company for the list. Not sure since I just responded to questions this morning and they are asleep now (10:42 pm in ShenZhen). More info once I receive it of course.
^^^^ Scribby's April 24 rev. 2B PCB update

Last edited:

keep up the good work!!

Right on! You're amazing, dude.

Man, I'm ready to order three of these since they are glossy and everyone loves them.

But since they are per pixel smaller than my 30", my 30" would be out of place.

My credit card is ready. My hope is that I get a dead pixel-free 2B model. That'd be awesome. :)

We are working on and hoping to be able to do both. 2B Monitor Run. But ALSO custom OC pcb's that you can swap out. :)

Ok....Scribby has been telling some people to come over to the site already, so I may as well share the info with you. Keep in mind that the site is currently what I'd consider as being a google style "active beta." If the site picks up, I have a triple-cpu quad core xeon gigabit server waiting as well. So if you experience any network issues, understand why. Site is new. :p

BUT HERE IT IS: 120hz.NET

Over the next few days, this site will become the #1 source for all things regarding OC'd Yamakasi's! Come join us. Give suggestions. Enjoy. Etc. Got some neat things set up.

Back