Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

What else?

419949_3115066468319_1014161926_32640290_328227136_n.jpg

Also I browse forum, craigslist, ebay, and youtube.

You, sir, are ballin out of control!

That doesn't take expired listings into account, i saw an old expired listing the other day and i think it was 98 units(?) or some other high number.

green-sum has a single listing with around 300 sold. That's the highest I've seen:
link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I 've read quite a lot about this monitors and i am ready to pull the trigger i just have some questions i need to make before just to be sure.

My gpu is a gigabyte 8800gts 320mb. A review site stated that it's a dvi-i dual link. (i checked it last night but i don't remember by memory right now and i am not at home to check it out). It should be compatible right?

also obviously the card will be very weak for gaming on it. so i will probably be playing at 720p which is 1/4th of the native resolution. Will it be ok? I know the screens have no scaler so the image i assume would be streched covering the whole screen right? how would the image look at a such lower resolution? too blurry?

some people also said that their screen doesn't show anything during bios boot up. is there a definite answer why it happens to some people? can this be fixed somehow? Because you know booting into bios is usually very very handy in case something goes wrong with windows or for changing some stuff.

Some sellers offer some of their screens in separate listings with "pixel perfect" option. Has anyone gotten any of those? I am thinking about it because I am kinda anal about this kind of things but they are offered only for catleap models and I would kinda prefer an achieva or a crossover.

Thanks everybody.

I 've read quite a lot about this monitors and i am ready to pull the trigger i just have some questions i need to make before just to be sure.

My gpu is a gigabyte 8800gts 320mb. A review site stated that it's a dvi-i dual link. (i checked it last night but i don't remember by memory right now and i am not at home to check it out). It should be compatible right?
If you take a look at the one I bought, they have a compatibility chart. It doesn't specifically mention your 8800gts, but pretty much all of the other Nvidia cards are compatible. I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but perhaps gives you some indication. There's a specific mention of the 8800gts having problems with Linux in this post, but all indications are this is specific to Linux. Again, another data point.

Yeah, I already saw the chart. There is some guy over at overclockers and he was running it ok. The thing is that his card was from a different vendor so I can't be certain of the similarity of inputs. But from the information that I managed to gather my card should have a dvi-I dual link which seems to be compatible with dvi-d dual.

I think if you are worried about bios you need to get a monitor with a scaler which means higher prices and input lag. On the other hand I assume you are typing from a monitor and you can always just swap monitors if you need to get into bios. I could never get into bios with some keyboards so I guess I am used to swapping parts during builds.

also obviously the card will be very weak for gaming on it. so i will probably be playing at 720p which is 1/4th of the native resolution. Will it be ok? I know the screens have no scaler so the image i assume would be streched covering the whole screen right? how would the image look at a such lower resolution? too blurry?.
Current base Catleaps are still shipping with revision 2C internals which do "pixel doubling" to stretch 720P over the whole screen and remain sharp. The previous 2B internals could not do it nor process a 720P signal from an Xbox or PS3.

There's still a risk they may swap out the revision 2C boards for another version that isn't capable of pixel doubling, the longer you wait to purchase the greater the risk.

There's just no way to know if you're going to get a Catleap than you can OC the refresh rate on, is there?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038513287&postcount=1041

^^ This post was absolutely critical for me to keep my bearings. How current is that information now?

You're correct; it's pretty much a gamble. I'll let ya' know when I get 'em, but I'm being very guarded in my anticipation. Plus, I'm kind of dreading having to remove the back in order to remove the stands so I can mount the dual-mounted monitor stand I ordered.

Which of the options for this monitor is appropriate to order if you desire a matte screen? (not glossy or glossy with antiglare)

Which of the options for this monitor is appropriate to order if you desire a matte screen? (not glossy or glossy with antiglare)

I don't think any of the monitors are matte. I have heard that a couple of catleaps people have gotten are matte but I don't think there is a matte option for any of them that you can directly purchase.

There isn't a matte version that anyone is aware of. However, someone mentioned a while back that the seller greensum said around 2% of his Catleaps are matte. If you want a matte screen on one of these, you're pretty much going to have t either apply your own film or contact a seller and see if there is a matte specific model no one is aware of.

You could also ask around and see if anyone who recieved a matte screen would be willing to trade, because most who recieved them were surprised and looking for gloss.

also obviously the card will be very weak for gaming on it. so i will probably be playing at 720p which is 1/4th of the native resolution. Will it be ok? I know the screens have no scaler so the image i assume would be streched covering the whole screen right? how would the image look at a such lower resolution? too blurry?

Your graphics card will do any scaling you wish internally, and out put a 1440p signal to the monitor. How blurry is too blurry is only something you can decide, and is also a function of how far you sit from the monitor. Until I upgraded to a 7870, I gamed at 1600x900 on my 5770 on it and it was still awesome. The lack of AG just makes everything pop.

Some sellers offer some of their screens in separate listings with "pixel perfect" option. Has anyone gotten any of those? I am thinking about it because I am kinda anal about this kind of things but they are offered only for catleap models and I would kinda prefer an achieva or a crossover.
Scam. People who have paid for that still get bad pixels. Better to simply play the lottery.

BB

Scam. People who have paid for that still get bad pixels. Better to simply play the lottery.

BB

At least one guy claims that he got a $70 refund though which dropped his price down to $280 but YMMV and I don't recall what seller it was. If that did happen, they will all stop offering pixel perfect after they start getting hit with multiple requests when/if something arrives with pixel issues..

The refund was for his Pixel perfect fee, IIRC. Didn't reduce the actual cost of the monitor. But regardless, I am pretty sure they're playing roulette and doing nothing for the fee. Its a placebo, IMO.

Say 10 people pay it and 3 people get bad pixels, refund them to maintain good customer relations, and keep the fee from the other 7. Easy money.

BB

The refund was for his Pixel perfect fee, IIRC. Didn't reduce the actual cost of the monitor. But regardless, I am pretty sure they're playing roulette and doing nothing for the fee. Its a placebo, IMO.

Say 10 people pay it and 3 people get bad pixels, refund them to maintain good customer relations, and keep the fee from the other 7. Easy money.

BB

I completely agree about it being roulette. The pixel perfect ones obviously aren't being checked or they wouldn't be arriving with pixel issues. It's certainly not something I would spend extra money on.

The guy I'm thinking of (over at OCN and this was very, very recent) specifically said the refund dropped the cost down to $280 though. IIRC, there are some sellers that are using it in the description and not charging additional fees for it. All the auctions vary to some extent though even if they are from the same seller as they are trying to stand out from the other sellers and even their own multiple listings.

Ok so I tried to "fix," the colours via the Nvidia Control Panel and it totally screws with the grey scale so I don't really recommend using it. I couldn't achieve 6500k without ending up with a massive green dominance and messing up the greys.

I took some pictures of the Immortals blu-ray on my PS3 @720p with the same camera settings

Asus Lights Off
pics068.jpg

Crossover Lights Off
pics062.jpg

Samsung S27A850d Lights Off
pics076.jpg

Since the Samsung has a higher default gamma it exhibits minor black crush. The Asus VG236H is the most accurate, despite being a TN.

I also tried calibrating my Crossover with i1 Match which comes with the i1 display pro and it could not correct the colour temperature to 6500k from 8600k. I always ended up with 5900k=to warm and red/orangish.

The main problem is the blue deviation. Green is perfect according to i1 Match and red is close
defaulti1match.png

BasICColor 5 pics up slightly higher deviations.
defaultbrightnessturnedown.png

I also tried calibrating my Crossover with i1 Match which comes with the i1 display pro and it could not correct the colour temperature to 6500k from 8600k. I always ended up with 5900k=to warm and red/orangish.

May be the i1 display pro? I'm using an i1d2 + i1Match v3.6.2 and get a clean looking white balance after calibration. I would say mine is reading colour accurately from this panel.

Do you have an i1d2 as well that you can use, or are you saying you can't get a decent calibration at all from your panel?

I'm saying I could not achieve 6500k with i1 Match. The i1dp is more accurate than the i1d2, especially with LED backlit displays. Normally I use basICColur 5 which is much better than i1 Match though, i1 Match does have same nice features like the before/after pics that bc5 lacks. Needing the 3rd party software puts the price @400$+250$ (i1dp)+100 euros for bc5 which is still <the price of an ACD.

I'm saying I could not achieve 6500k with i1 Match. The i1dp is more accurate than the i1d2, especially with LED backlit displays. Normally I use basICColur 5 which is much better than i1 Match though, i1 Match does have same nice features like the before/after pics that bc5 lacks. Needing the 3rd party software puts the price @400$+250$ (i1dp)+100 euros for bc5 which is still <the price of an ACD.
hey nxc i had a problems with this crossover and the apple at beginning , what i did what kept adjusting led brightness very time till i hit 6500k on i1 Match i1d2 , then after use graphics card to lower brightness , yess you be a bit off but will look great on these lcds . . . ive use the best lcds and best plasma made ill consider this screen number 2 on pc lcd list vs the nec 20wmgx pro which has a ccfl , make 65k easy and nice , led are hard to work with , you'll always get a bit of blue or red tinge , but at end i cant wait till lcd dies :D

May be the i1 display pro? I'm using an i1d2 + i1Match v3.6.2 and get a clean looking white balance after calibration. I would say mine is reading colour accurately from this panel.

Do you have an i1d2 as well that you can use, or are you saying you can't get a decent calibration at all from your panel?

same here . adjsuting brightenss helped me hit 6500k on the dot , my 2412 couldn't do , apple did but had really bad glow , this screen is great except for right lower corner bleed :p

i1d2's 6500k is more like 7000k to an accurate colourimeter. The GPU colour settings screw with everything and when you profile the display the GPU settings are ignored.

My Crossover displays either 114cdm/2 or 130cmd/2 natively which was fine. I used 130 and let basICColour do the rest.

From Left to Right: Crossover 27Q LED-P, Asus VG236H, Samsung S27A850D
1.jpg

Over-Exposed to highlight issues
crossoverbacklight033.jpg

Crossover
CrossoverAlone.jpg

Asus
AsusAlone.jpg

Samsung. The bit on the right is PLS glow, not light bleeding.
SA1.jpg

Here is a Video showing the Crossover with before/after calibration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dnr_7dazH8

The colour profile worked with all of my movie play back programs (Power DVD, Mirllis Splash PRO and Media Player Classic).

i1d2's 6500k is more like 7000k to an accurate colourimeter.

You could be right. The first i1d2 I had calibrated to a red tint, which was not uncommon as a lot of people reported this on the forums. I was sent a replacement unit and it does not calibrate to a red tint, but I'm still not sure if it's totally accurate either. What I just spent the last few hours doing was checking my measurement after calibration with the diffuse filter attached. It measures 6100k with the filter on, whereas without the filter it measures 6500k (as per the profile i1match generated). So I decided to do another calibration and set i1match to calibrate to 7300k, which after calibration measures 6500k with the filter attached. I'm now switching back and forth between my 2 profiles, one of them 6500k/6100k (filter off/on) and the other 7300k/6500k, and I have to say the 7300k/6500k one looks better. The whites definitely look more neutral. I wonder if the true measurement is achieved with the filter on? Perhaps the diffuse scattering of light helps average out the reading?

At this point I'm not really sure I trust the meter anymore. Should I get an i1d pro? How accurate would you say the pro is compared to the other meters? Is it worth the price?

I'm definitely getting one of these for my birthday in May, if not before. I've never calibrated a display before using a sensor, only by displaying patterns and colors on the screen and adjusting to recommended levels. What is the least expensive way to properly calibrate a display? Are there places that will rent you a sensor for a minimal fee?

I know a lot of you guys are very much into displays and image/color quality with the budget to support it. As someone that currently doesn't have the resources I'd like to, what would be the best way to approach calibrating a new display?

Also, I should wait a month or two, right, to let the display burn in a little, for lack of a better phrase?

i have ordered 2pcs of ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite for myself.

and i was wondered if i can use them as dual monitor with my

HD6950 x2 crossfire.

because some of the listing on ebay says with ATI graphic card dual monitor is not possible.

so im getting worried now.

please let me know if anyone knows.

thanx in advance

If you don't care about eyefinity, then you should have no problems. Hook to individual cards and they should work.

That I don't know. Do you have a spare monitor that you can hook up the your slave card to test?

hmmm im afraid if i will have to buy active port for extra $100

is this time to go gtx680... get bye bye to ATI...

Has anyone tried running a game at 1920x1080 won any of the monitors, with their video card doing the scaling? I'm wondering how clear/blurry it looks when a non-native resolution is used and the video card stretch's the image to fill the screen. In some games I might have to do this if I want to keep the graphics maxed out.

Which of the models has the best stand? I know none of them are going to win awards, but my desk is fairly sturdy so I probably won't invest in a third-party stand unless it looks like it's going to break in half.

I apologize if this has already been addressed - I did a search in the thread and could not find the answer.:(

Which of the models has the best stand? I know none of them are going to win awards, but my desk is fairly sturdy so I probably won't invest in a third-party stand unless it looks like it's going to break in half.

I apologize if this has already been addressed - I did a search in the thread and could not find the answer.:(

Crossover model has the best stand imho

Anyone who already tried those monitors. Or any glossy 1440p 27'' monitor.

Is there a big difference on image quality with a 27'' 1080p vs upscaling to 27'' 1440p?

I know that in theory upscaling is not as good as a native resolution even if both are 27''. But in pratice the degradation is visible? Too much? Anyone compared an 1080p and 1440p 27' on full HD movies?

Another thing which is related. If i set the resolution to 1920x1080 on Windows is it too much different then a native 1080 27''?

I used the SMTTool 2.0 and got 0-8ms difference in a bunch of pictures compared with my Asus which has 2-3ms vs a CRT. The most common value was between 1-5ms. I assume the input lag is around 5ms like the HP ZR2740W which was tested by PRAD.de. I feel 0 difference between the Asus and Crossover.

I made another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bq6fnNU4T4

I used the SMTTool 2.0 and got 0-8ms difference in a bunch of pictures compared with my Asus which has 2-3ms vs a CRT. The most common value was between 1-5ms. I assume the input lag is around 5ms like the HP ZR2740W which was tested by PRAD.de. I feel 0 difference between the Asus and Crossover.

I made another video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bq6fnNU4T4

By your video the Samsung seems to look better then the crossover, but it's just impossible to see on a youtube video. What monitor do you prefer, the Crossover or the S27A850D?

What have the best image to your eyes?

Back