Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Come on, we all know it is the delay that is bothering you, no need to pretend it isn't.

They sold 81 of them since Saturday, maybe just miscounted. They may not have shipped them in the order they were received.

I've seen you post this on 4 different threads (2 here, 2 on OC), doesn't turn me away from ordering from Green-sum again. He replies faster than Dreamseller, offers better packaging, and cheaper prices.

must.. order.. this..

Grats to all who have already done so and are enjoying such awesomeness at a great price!

Thanks to all the posters and info, [H] posters!

If you took it apart there's a good chance you pulled the video cable out a bit, I did it twice now :)

Well, this is bad.

I took the monitor apart again, disconnected and reconnected (and retaped where applicable) the cables. Still nothing displays. Same symptoms, so I brought it over to this computer (Windows PC with a 6850) and sure enough it detects a display with the right resolution called DUAL-DVI. Only available refresh is 60Hz so that doesn't seem to be the issue either, but the same symptom - monitor lights up, or goes into power save, whatever I tell it to do through Windows, but the display is blank. Any other suggestions? I adjusted the brightness to both ends of the spectrum, had no effect, just to cover all the bases.

The video cable is the one opposite the DVI connector on the circuit board, that then goes into the top of the panel, correct?

Come on, we all know it is the delay that is bothering you, no need to pretend it isn't.

They sold 81 of them since Saturday, maybe just miscounted. They may not have shipped them in the order they were received.

I've seen you post this on 4 different threads (2 here, 2 on OC), doesn't turn me away from ordering from Green-sum again. He replies faster than Dreamseller, offers better packaging, and cheaper prices.

Believe it or not, it was the fact he told me it was being packed and readied for shipping. I am not the only one this happened too either. And yes, I did post this in all four threads since a lot of folks are ordering this. You shouldn't advertise it is in stock, then tell someone it is being packed and then come back and say that it is OOS. As far as the price goes, dcsamsungmall had it for the same price and shipped Fedex, so I ordered it from him. So far people have been getting them much quicker and ships either the same day or the very next day. As far as Dreamseller goes, I would have ordered from him, but he raised all his prices, not that it will bother most considering the price, but why not get the best price I can, which is why I originally went with Green-sum. And I am not saying don't buy from him, but you should know what to expect.

Believe it or not, it was the fact he told me it was being packed and readied for shipping. I am not the only one this happened too either. And yes, I did post this in all four threads since a lot of folks are ordering this. You shouldn't advertise it is in stock, then tell someone it is being packed and then come back and say that it is OOS. As far as the price goes, dcsamsungmall had it for the same price and shipped Fedex, so I ordered it from him. So far people have been getting them much quicker and ships either the same day or the very next day. As far as Dreamseller goes, I would have ordered from him, but he raised all his prices, not that it will bother most considering the price, but why not get the best price I can, which is why I originally went with Green-sum. And I am not saying don't buy from him, but you should know what to expect.

And he's probably getting hundreds of messages, thought he had enough stock (probably has other people boxing/shipping them) and didn't realize how many orders went through. Stuff happens, I ordered on Sunday got it on a Friday.

The video cable is the one opposite the DVI connector on the circuit board, that then goes into the top of the panel, correct?

Yea that's the cable. I'd try re-seating it again just to be sure. I've taken mine apart 4-5 times now and 2-3 of the times were because the cable wasn't seated 100%.

I kept messing with it while it was disassembled until I got an image. Then I reassembled it a bit more, checked the signal again, repeat until it the panel was screwed back in.

Panel lottery? Great, I almost missed that.

Still not bad for the price though, but it's not worth the risk for me (especially since I'd also need a new GPU for this massive res).

Still not bad for the price though, but it's not worth the risk for me (especially since I'd also need a new GPU for this massive res).

It's not "not bad" for the price, it's fantastic. SRGB, no anti-glare and half the price of competing 27" IPS LCDs.

The Catleap is also taller if that matters (it did for me), and also going by all the posts in the OCN thread seems more likely to have pixel issues compared to the Shimians.

Be careful making statements like that with small sample sizes. Odds for both after the rush of guys getting monitors in over the weekend for getting a panel issue is running about 1/6 or 1/7 - no real difference between the two brands. Besides, at 400 bucks and this tight dot pitch, is a single darker pixel going to ruin your experience?

At less than half the price of a u2711 with no grainy antiglare coating, a dark pixel or two is more than tolerable, imo, unless its dead center of the screen.

BB

I was just informed that it would be another 2 days before my Catleap Multi/HDMI monitor would ship from green-sum. I had ordered late Friday night.

Haven't gotten a response regarding the 2Bs - perhaps they are sold out now.
There's also the crossover 27Q variant, those may potentially hit >60hz still.

Panels are still LG 27", it's actually a controller lottery.

Me and another guy are comparing part numbers on the internals and scouring the internets for ones that can OC.

I really like the swivel..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgLeYCkc90s

Reaallly thinking about buying one.

The stand is really meh to be honest

The Hz panel lottery is incredibly disappointing. That was the main attraction of this monitor: 100 Hz high-rez IPS.

It's still half the price of any other 1440p IPS.

And we're looking into hopefully finding a source of parts to fix it. We don't think it's the panel itself as that's the same, only the controllers appear to be different.

Haven't gotten a response regarding the 2Bs - perhaps they are sold out now.
There's also the crossover 27Q variant, those may potentially hit >60hz still.

Well, it's rated for 75 Hz in the specs, so I would expect it does, although I'd be interested in knowing whether it goes higher than that.

It could be rated at 75hz for a lower resolution. And I rarely trust listed specs :p

So I ordered one from Green-sum on Saturday, had plenty of stock. Asked him for a tracking number yesterday and in the evening, my time, he told me it was being packed and would have a tracking number for me. Wake up and check my email and now he tells me he doesn't have stock and it will be two more days before he has some. I cancelled the order, I can order from someone else. It's not the delay that bothers me, it's the "I have it in stock, it's being packed and will have a tracking number for you soon" to "sorry, oos, will be two more days" that bothers me. I know we are getting these cheap, but they should be honest about their stock and shipping times, that's all I am saying.

Is it really necessary to post this in 4 different threads on 2 different forums?

The wide range of H scan rates in the specs seem to indicate the presence of a scaler though; in that case I wouldn't expect it to go very high in refresh rate... back to square one.

According to ScribbyDaGreat on oc.net the parts that are on the OC version that are different are:

DVI PCB W/SPEAKER

MODEL #: HY-2560M_DA_Q1.REV.4

CENTER PANEL PCB (CONNECTS TO DVI PCB)

MODEL # LM270WQ1-SLA1

P/N: 6870C-0340A_REV0.2

DESIGNED: 2010.04.06

NON-OC / 2C Version

DVI PCB W/O SPEAKER:
MODEL # HY-2560M_DP REV_02

CENTER PANEL PCB (CONNECTS TO DVI PCB):
MODEL # LM270WQ1-SDA2
P/N: 6870C-0301A_EVT2_Rev1.0
DESIGNED: 2009.05.14

The Hz panel lottery is incredibly disappointing. That was the main attraction of this monitor: 100 Hz high-rez IPS.

not really. the main attraction was finding such an lcd half the cost or more compared to other companies. the 'extra' hz was just a bonus.

not really. the main attraction was finding such an lcd half the cost or more compared to other companies. the 'extra' hz was just a bonus.

That entirely depends on the person. I'm not interested in the high res alone, it's the combination of IPS + 100hz that made me interested in the first place, the high res and good default colours are just a bonus.

To be perfectly honest a 1080p 100hz IPS panel with some light AG would suit me better because it would mean keeping my current GPU and not upscaling blu-rays.

Be careful making statements like that with small sample sizes. Odds for both after the rush of guys getting monitors in over the weekend for getting a panel issue is running about 1/6 or 1/7 - no real difference between the two brands. Besides, at 400 bucks and this tight dot pitch, is a single darker pixel going to ruin your experience?

At less than half the price of a u2711 with no grainy antiglare coating, a dark pixel or two is more than tolerable, imo, unless its dead center of the screen.

BB

Take it for what you will. I'm simply stating what I'd seen in that thread. When I bought mine it seemed that more people with Catleaps were saying they saw pixiel issues. Does that mean it's a worse screen? Not really, but some people are overly anal about even 1 pixel being flaky, and if you get the glass version you can't even try to massage it out. I grabbed a Shimian because of the fact that people were reporting fewer issues then, and mine was 100% mint. The Catleap stand was too tall but I could have easily swapped it out if need be if that had been the clearer choice at the time.

I do find it funny how people are trying to lowball the sellers when this is already an insanely low price for what you get. Trying to nickle and dime them down another $5-20 is just silly to me. You're already getting a steal. If you dont think so, go price a local screen with the same spec's and decide if $800-1000 is better than under $400.

For my $380 I'm thrilled with this thing.

Is it really necessary to post this in 4 different threads on 2 different forums?

Well yeah, so far I have seen three other folks get the same message from him. With so many ordering this it's something people should know. What if I had gotten mine and it had a cracked screen, should I keep that tidbit of info to myself? Not everyone is on all 4 threads, so I posted all four threads. If you don't like, don't read it. Not sure why a few of you are up in arms because I posted it in the first place. People want to know what to expect, this happened, so I posted it. Does it happen often? Probably not, but after reading how everyone was having their monitors shipped within 48 hours and now he is actually out of stock, but still selling them, I would think people would like to know.

The cost is irrelevant. The display industry has been atrociously slow to develop in the last 5-8 years, and the unprecedented technological combination in this monitor (IPS, high-res, high refresh, low input lag, fast response) is what all the excitement is about.

u mad bro?

and lol at "unprecedented"

Most people are going to be, especially when they receive their monitor to find out the manufacturer is now using cheap components instead. Also, yes, he is right, it is unprecedented.

In any case, my Catleap is going back for replacement soon.

Most people are going to be, especially when they receive their monitor to find out the manufacturer is now using cheap components instead. Also, yes, he is right, it is unprecedented.

In any case, my Catleap is going back for replacement soon.

Cheap components? Most monitors don't go above their rated refresh rate and the display fully meets specifications.

I'm not convinced that 100hz would even be that beneficial considering the response time of this monitor. You need very quick response time to benefit from higher refresh rates on LCD. It might be a slight improvement, but I doubt it would look anything like the 120hz you would be getting on a low response TN panel. Not that I have any interest in TN panels.

exactly. nowhere anywhere do those sellers advertise anything above standard 60. and lol at the 'cheap' comment. um, lets see. this is easily half the cost. what do you expect?

all i can say about this is first world problems.

I'm not convinced that 100hz would even be that beneficial considering the response time of this monitor. You need very quick response time to benefit from higher refresh rates on LCD. It might be a slight improvement, but I doubt it would look anything like the 120hz you would be getting on a low response TN panel. Not that I have any interest in TN panels.

If you have an 11.4ms avg response time 1000ms/11.4ms = 87.72 changes per second by the pixels. So I would have to think going to 85hz would be beneficial.

The cost is irrelevant. The display industry has been atrociously slow to develop in the last 5-8 years, and the unprecedented technological combination in this monitor (IPS, high-res, high refresh, low input lag, fast response) is what all the excitement is about.

I have to disagree. The cost alone is a major factor in the popularity of this monitor. If it was closer to domestic prices the interest wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is. While the "potential of the total package" is exciting, the pricing is undeniably the biggest draw. If it wasn't you wouldn't see it mentioned nearly as frequently as it is. People were going crazy over it before the refresh rate overclock was even brought up when the only "known" advantages were the price and a substantially faster response time (GBG and WBW) than the Dell 2312HM.

*edit* The lack of an anti-glare coating was also a known advantage for several people as well.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. The cost alone is a major factor in the popularity of this monitor. If it was closer to domestic prices the interest wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is. While the "potential of the total package" is exciting, the pricing is undeniably the biggest draw. If it wasn't you wouldn't see it mentioned nearly as frequently as it is. People were going crazy over it before the refresh rate overclock was even brought up when the only "known" advantages were the price and a substantially faster response time (GBG and WBW) than the Dell 2312HM.

Don't forget no anti-glare coating. That's what sealed the deal for me.

Don't forget no anti-glare coating. That's what sealed the deal for me.

Very true. I keep forgetting that people seek that. You would think I would be used to glossy screens from using a CRT for forever and a day but the glossy screens are distracting to me. To be fair though, it appears the anti-glare coating has an adverse affect on the IPS panels so I can see people trying to avoid/remove it.

Back on topic,

@linuxdude and blazestorm:

I read in the [H]otdeals thread that the Catleap Q270 SE seems to be doing the high Hz, while the model with the speakers (Q270) seems to be having issues. Can you confirm? Especially you blaze, as you have one document not to overclock.

Back on topic,

@linuxdude and blazestorm:

I read in the [H]otdeals thread that the Catleap Q270 SE seems to be doing the high Hz, while the model with the speakers (Q270) seems to be having issues. Can you confirm? Especially you blaze, as you have one document not to overclock.

A lot of people have gotten SEs(no speakers) in the last day and almost all of them have been SE2C models, and have not supported higher refresh rates. The 2B and 2C appear to use a different LCD controller/logic board, which is likely the limiting factor.

Cheap components? Most monitors don't go above their rated refresh rate and the display fully meets specifications.
While your statement is true, the newer components are, in fact, cheaper.

exactly. nowhere anywhere do those sellers advertise anything above standard 60. and lol at the 'cheap' comment. um, lets see. this is easily half the cost. what do you expect?

all i can say about this is first world problems.

Nowhere anywhere did I say they advertised above 60hz. I simply said they are now using cheaper components; which is the truth.

Yep, the newer serial numbers do not overclock. They have different controllers.

I'm jbuschdev on overclock.net so I've been posting more findings over there.

To be fair though, it appears the anti-glare coating has an adverse affect on the IPS panels so I can see people trying to avoid/remove it.

IPS panels aren't inherently incompatible with anti-glare films. The real issue is that the ultra-grainy LG antiglare coatings aren't present on other types of panels. Then when you combine that overly aggressive coating with the very fine ppi common on IPS panels you get the dreaded "sparkle-fuzz" effect.

Back