Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Got my Achieva Shimian from DreamSeller but this thing is a gigantic pain in the ass with my 8800gts (old) in Linux. It won't get EDID data and is scaling 640x480 to it. I'm struggling with the Nvidia/Ubuntu 11.04 xorg configuration.

It's not the monitor's fault at all. The monitor looks great. *sigh* linux

I want to preface this by saying the monitor works 100% in Windows 7 and is awesome, I am happy with how it looks. Now I am going to rant and rave about linux and hopefully someone else less frustrated might be able to help or it will save people some trouble.

It is extremely difficult to get this monitor to work in more recent versions of Ubuntu with older Nvidia cards like the 8800 gts. I gave up quickly in single monitor mode because it boots to 640x480 and X restarts over and over (GPU is scaling at this point.) Forcing a higher res didn't work with modelines. I plugged it in as a second monitor and booted up with it off initially. I got it to extend the desktop but in a really unstable way at 640x480.

Using the proprietary Nvidia linux driver from 173 to 280 to 290+, the EDID info won't populate. On one hand this is unsurprising because Nvidia's linux drivers are about as good as the paint program I wrote when I was learning Java - almost totally unworkable, completely unstable, and a huge pile of shit. On the other this is a total fucking Nancy Drew mystery because the display is detected fine as some weird named thing with the nouveau driver, native res and all. I would use the nouveau driver, but the open source nouveau driver while being able to throw a 2560x1440 signal at the monitor, throws it as a weird single color glitched out flashy screen that sort of scares me and looks like an epilepsy test.

xrandr doesn't work with the Nvidia binaries and when I try to use an xorg.conf generated by nvidia-settings X either won't load or loads and crashes repeatedly.

The 8800gts sucks power and is unnecessary for this machine anyway so I ordered a newer ATI card with two dual link DVI connectors. Hopefully it just works, but if it doesn't I'd rather fight with that because at least their open source driver isn't a giant mess.

@dowant120hz
Customs/duties depend on the region of the country where the package is coming from. I did some searching and if I understand the legislation correctly the duty should be only 11.6%:
link
This is better than what I expected.
What I'm still afraid of is the VAT that I might have to pay on top of the duties, which is 24% around here.

Ordered from Green-Sum. Packaging was well done. However that's where the good things end.

3) Got 4 dead pixels stacked next to each other.

Deal was too good to be true, sadly. I can live with it though, just very very disappointing.

Here's the pictures I took: http://imgur.com/a/aTnQq <---------
Looks like a dust glob, not sure though. Do you have the tempered glass version?

But if it is dead pixels, unfortunately you would be the first with a few of them next to each other like that.

Looked that way to me too, but I thought he had the version without glass?
Good question.

But i think dust is still possible even without tempered glass? If so then it must be a real b!tch to remove. Still better than dead pixels where you have no recourse.

Anyone have a link to actual pics of the Catleap Q270 with tempered glass?

The ebay pics for it are without the glass and i'd like to see pics with the glass to see if it changes the aesthetics too much.

Good question.

But i think dust is still possible even without tempered glass? If so then it must be a real b!tch to remove. Still better than dead pixels where you have no recourse.

Yeah I don't have the tempered glass version. It does look a little like dust. Not much I can do about it. Even if it was and I opened it up, I'd probably end up getting more dust in it, don't really have access to a Class 3 clean room. :p

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have three total on order (one for work and two for home) so I'll post up some pics and let you guys know if they are all in good shape when they get here. They better be!

Placed an order on march 4th, just got tracking and dream-seller says it will be here by the 14th. Wish it was faster!

Placed an order on march 4th, just got tracking and dream-seller says it will be here by the 14th. Wish it was faster!
I notice at least two or three others who ordered on March 3rd and 4th are waiting a while for some reason. Whereas others received their monitors pretty quick for international shipping.

It may have to do with timing the shipping just right, or something else.

A few of the posters at the Overclock.net forums were saying that Dream-seller is willing to check for dead pixels for an extra $30 fee. It may or may not be true but i'd message him for details before purchasing just to be sure.

On the same note, i'd only recommend that service for those who are truly bothered by dead/stuck pixels, or those who feel the extra $30 is worth it. After all, they are pretty tiny, and many are getting lucky with no bad pixels to begin with.

I notice at least two or three others who ordered on March 3rd and 4th are waiting a while for some reason. Whereas others received their monitors pretty quick for international shipping.

It may have to do with timing the shipping just right, or something else.

Just an update, my monitor passed threw customs in NYC. So it should be here on monday, tuesday at the latest.

Worst purchase I could make while out of work, but my Achieva Shimian Q270-Lite came today. The Catleap was too tall for where it had to go and I don't need more than 60Hz to be happy, plus this model has the best overall results on screen quality from reading the entire thread over at OCN.

This thing is awesome for my diabetes damaged eyes. Can make things 2x bigger with room to spare, its sharp as hell and colors are beautiful.

Not a single stuck or dead pixel at all, no dust, good packaging, mint box, and my little 460's actually run it pretty well in most games I play.

Ordered mine from Dreamseller.

I just now found out about this monitor. After I already bought a new one. Why can't I just be satisfied with what I got and always need to get something better...

The Catleap was too tall for where it had to go...

Shimian's 654x180x479mm (WxDxH). What's the catleap? I did read that the Shimian is almost about an inch lower from the desk to the bottom of the monitor. The height is what concerns me. If I get these I might have to mount it so I can eliminate more of the desk to bottom of monitor distance.

I've been tempted but I think this might be too big for my desk. I currently have a 23" Samsung 2343 BWX. It may just fit but there'd be overhang off my table and it'd be flush against my sound system on the other side. Still contemplating though.

Shimian's 654x180x479mm (WxDxH). What's the catleap? I did read that the Shimian is almost about an inch lower from the desk to the bottom of the monitor. The height is what concerns me. If I get these I might have to mount it so I can eliminate more of the desk to bottom of monitor distance.

I've been tempted but I think this might be too big for my desk. I currently have a 23" Samsung 2343 BWX. It may just fit but there'd be overhang off my table and it'd be flush against my sound system on the other side. Still contemplating though.

505mm high. Was just too much and I can't afford to change things or mess around with the desk atm, but I'm thrilled with the Achieva.

Can anyone with a Catleap Q270 SE confirm the highest refresh rate on a Z68 Express Chipset with Intel HD3000 integrated graphics? I know it supports 2560 x 1600, but am not so sure if the RAMDAC has the bandwidth for 97Hz. I use my computer mostly for work, browsing and some tv/movies.

Is Catleap the only monitor that is attached to your video card?

I've tried just the Catleap, and then both with the 3007. I've tried both ports, swapping ports, swapping cables. No matter what, the Catleap does not display the BIOS, 3007 does in every case.

If I run it without the 3007 or with, I get nothing on the Catleap until I'm in Windows. I might have another video-card somewhere I can swap out and try. Maybe it's just my Radeon 5870 although I doubt it because it works with the 3007.

I just ordered a Catleap from Red-cap and will post back with results/pictures when it arrives. Looking forward to replacing my old E248WFP.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've tried just the Catleap, and then both with the 3007. I've tried both ports, swapping ports, swapping cables. No matter what, the Catleap does not display the BIOS, 3007 does in every case.

If I run it without the 3007 or with, I get nothing on the Catleap until I'm in Windows. I might have another video-card somewhere I can swap out and try. Maybe it's just my Radeon 5870 although I doubt it because it works with the 3007.

I just plugged in a Geforce 9600 Low-Power, Low-Profile, and it picked up the Catleap at boot. So it looks like it's an issue with my Radeon 5870 not being able to set the resolution correctly. I might have spare 5750 in the other room too, I wonder if I could make that work with the 5870.

I'll probably be upgrading to Kepler if that comes out soon, so this might be all non-issue. But good to know the Q270 wasn't the issue.

Maybe it's just my Radeon 5870 although I doubt it because it works with the 3007.

It's your card. It's marked as not working here. This is in the review linked at the start of this thread.

This chart lists the following ATi/AMD cards as not supported:

I originally posted that chart and one in English back on 02.27.2012 and it was found in one of the auctions so there is no telling where it came from.

This chart lists the following Nvidia cards as not supported:

9500GT
GTS450 (DOS error)

This chart lists the following ATi/AMD cards as not supported:

Going by your experience, "can not output" must mean the BIOS as all of those cards support up to a 2560x1600 resolution on their DVI ports with a dual link DVI cable. I suppose there is a chance that they might not be able to display Windows as well though given that the GTS450 is marked as having a DOS error.

I just now found out about this monitor. After I already bought a new one. Why can't I just be satisfied with what I got and always need to get something better...

haha, i'm in the same boat! i just ordered the dell ips glass 22" touchscreen model. it's great, but this deal is wayy nicer.

Can anyone with a Catleap Q270 SE confirm the highest refresh rate on a Z68 Express Chipset with Intel HD3000 integrated graphics? I know it supports 2560 x 1600, but am not so sure if the RAMDAC has the bandwidth for 97Hz. I use my computer mostly for work, browsing and some tv/movies.

Since you're not gaming at v-sync'ed framerates, why is an increased refresh rate important?

BB

Two last questions before I pull the trigger. 1) Do all the Catleaps lean to the right? 2) dream-seller or green-sum? I'll need the MULTI version with HDMI, so the price is essentially the same.

Going by your experience, "can not output" must mean the BIOS as all of those cards support up to a 2560x1600 resolution on their DVI ports with a dual link DVI cable. I suppose there is a chance that they might not be able to display Windows as well though given that the GTS450 is marked as having a DOS error.

Yea, I remember seeing it listed as "working" before on those ebay auctions, even then I wouldn't be concerned.

The display works, it's just when you're booting up you don't see the BIOS or anything until Windows loads in. I just reformatted my machine and had to leave the 3007 plugged in. This will be non-issue when I upgrade (hopefully).

Also a bit annoyed they photoshopped some images of the Q270 to make it look like the bottom bezel is smaller than it really is.

Since you're not gaming at v-sync'ed framerates, why is an increased refresh rate important?

BB

He's still getting more images displayed per second, so it still has advantages.

Two last questions before I pull the trigger. 1) Do all the Catleaps lean to the right? 2) dream-seller or green-sum? I'll need the MULTI version with HDMI, so the price is essentially the same.

I just put a level to my Q270 and it doesn't appear to be leaning at all. I'm level on Top/Left/Right. I also disassembled it a few times so I might have attached the stand better than the factory? Although looking at these images it looks level before I disassembled it too.

http://imgur.com/a/QCPA3#0

You can check out the images from the package I received from green-sum, Ordered Sunday Night, received it Friday.

Last edited:

BB

smoother motion in general and less tearing without vsync on :)

also 96hz will rid movies of motion the 3:2 pulldown effect, giving smooth frames with no skipping etc. of course 72hz does the same...

smoother motion in general and less tearing without vsync on :)

You have it backwards; the whole point of vsync is to eliminate the tearing that you get from not having rendered frames synchronised with display frequency.

Although I have noticed on some video cards the setting doesn't work properly, or works inversely of how it should, i.e vsync off = vsync on.

Well it's a bit more subtle than that.

If your game can render fast enough, the changes between frames is going to be a smaller. If the changes are smaller then tearing is less noticeable. So if you're running at 60hz vs. 100hz. you're getting 40 more frames in that same second, which means less delta between frames, less noticeable tearing.

He's saying that there is less tearing with v-sync off when you compare 60hz to 85-100hz. A better example is if you pushed that to the extreme. A display and game running at 500FPS / hz, with v-sync off, I doubt you could see any tearing with the screen updating so frequently.

Well I broke down and ordered the Catleap from Green-Sum. Hopefully I will get it by the end of the week since I am off this week. Has anyone tried using the Vesa mount without removing the silver arch?

You don't have much room, and unless you were in portrait mode the arm wouldn't work too well. But the arch is easy to remove. 8 screws to remove the front bezel and then you have to get the clips out using some pry tools like these.

(Hopefully this link works, should be 10 tools for $2.95 )

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Repair-...HGZ8O106XVD4&s=generic&qid=1331471711&sr=1-17

These work great and are better at not scratching plastic than screw-drivers. I just shove them between the two bezel halves and slide it along the edge, bezel pops right off (I've used these tools on lots of items that have tab-attached bezels / pieces ). You can search around for other deals / different sets of tools. Looks much better without the arch anyways. It serves zero purpose. it's flimsy plastic that doesn't add any to the "structure" of it.

There's a guide here for disassembly http://www.overclock.net/t/1202319/build-log-the-waterlogged-skeleton/20#post_16643049

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So how can we tell the different catleap versions apart? Q270 VS Q270SE, etc...? Looked through this thread and couldn't find the info. The table of panels in the overclock.net don't seem to be listed in the ebay pages, and I'm trying to get one without the tempered glass.

So how can we tell the different catleap versions apart? Q270 VS Q270SE, etc...? Looked through this thread and couldn't find the info. The table of panels in the overclock.net don't seem to be listed in the ebay pages, and I'm trying to get one without the tempered glass.

the catleaps should all be without the tempered glass
the tempered glass versions also cost more

the se version has no speakers

Do any of the sellers of these monitors mark it as a gift for you if you ask them? I mean I was thinking of ordering one from my brother, but, customs would be a lot.

Do any of the sellers of these monitors mark it as a gift for you if you ask them? I mean I was thinking of ordering one from my brother, but, customs would be a lot.

I think dream-seller is marking them as a gift by default, but I'd contact him beforehand and make sure if you're concerned about customs and such.

Dreamseller marked mine as a $50 value gift item and that seems to be his normal thing without even asking.

Back