Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

Hey folks - wondering if you guys had any advice for my situation here...

I got a crossover 2720mdp and on the surface it looks amazing - no dead pixels and pretty uniform colors. Problem is, I can't get windows to recognize the EDID on this thing, so it defaults to a 640x480 resolution. No Bueno. I used powerstrip to build a custom driver, and then rebooted, and it works in windows up to 1920x1080. That's as far as it goes, though. I have a 7970 in one machine, and a 8800GT in another (both Windows 7 machines), and i get the exact same results with both using the DVI-D port. I've swapped cables and it's the same. I have yet to try displayport (cable coming Monday), but has anyone else run into this? It's driving me insane!

Thanks in advance, as always!

So I got another Shimian because I liked my 1st one so much. Came with no dead pixels again, which is the good part. Now for the bad/stupid shit and not the monitor's fault either. I'll be the 1st to admit I might have missed something stupid, but simply using and matching the two monitors has been a big pain in the ass.

AMD 6970... WTF only one dual-link DVI output!!?? OK, no problem, will just use one of the display ports and an DVI adaptor.. 2 hours of research later.. WTF I need an $80+ "active" display port to DVI adaptor??!! FU AMD/ATI

So whew, I happen to also have an extra 5870 with a dual-link DVI port on it. I'll just put it in the PC in addition to the 6970. Get it installed, hooked up both monitors, and voila, big ass desktop space..

Darn it, the new monitor is visibly a bit bluer in color than the 1st one I got. Can't tell by itself, but next to the old one when they are both on, certainly can. This is irritating when you're looking at two monitors and the colors shades/brightness don't match, especially with these big beautiful monitors. Unfortunately, there is no built-in monitor adjustment hardware to adjust the colors and stuff with these monitors; will have to use the video card. Shouldn't be a big deal right?

So first thing found out. Why the hell is there no individual RGB color control settings in Catalyst? There is one single slider bar called "hue" to adjust RGB coloration. You can't simply pick a single color to balance against the others. It's all or nothing.. Was absolutely worthless in trying to get the monitors to match displays. Guess what, when all you need is to adjust the blue slightly, you can't do it.. So much for AMD POS Catalyst Control Center. FU AMD/ATI!

Hmmm, the relatively ancient EVGA GTX480 in my kid's PC has two dual-link DVI's built in! Go NVidia! And a close look at the Nvidia Control Panel reveals... INDIVIDUAL RGB COLOR SETTINGS! Yeah! so a few seconds messing with the RGB on the slightly bluer 2nd monitor and everything is now resolved in the side-by-side appearance.

Unfortunately, the GTX480 is slower in GW2 than the 6970 was. I'll accept that since I'd rather have well-balanced desktop space. Still sucks that the Catalyst panel was such a piece of shit when I needed it.

Why the hell is there no individual RGB color control settings in Catalyst?

I'm using Catalyst (not the newest version) and I have R,G,B, and all channels options for each monitor under Catalyst->Desktop Properties->Color. Did you enable "Advanced mode"?

If you really need two monitors to closely match you'll need to use a calibrator. The hard part then becomes enforcing the color profiles, and unfortunately I don't have a good way to do that yet for games.

AMD 6970... WTF only one dual-link DVI output!!??

Yeah, I just found that out myself recently. My previous nVidia card from 2007 has 2 dual-link DVI outputs, but the new(ish) AMD does not. Looks like I will be sticking with AMD anyway though since they have remained more receptive to people using calibrations and >60Hz displays.

Hey folks - wondering if you guys had any advice for my situation here...

I got a crossover 2720mdp and on the surface it looks amazing - no dead pixels and pretty uniform colors. Problem is, I can't get windows to recognize the EDID on this thing, so it defaults to a 640x480 resolution. No Bueno. I used powerstrip to build a custom driver, and then rebooted, and it works in windows up to 1920x1080. That's as far as it goes, though. I have a 7970 in one machine, and a 8800GT in another (both Windows 7 machines), and i get the exact same results with both using the DVI-D port. I've swapped cables and it's the same. I have yet to try displayport (cable coming Monday), but has anyone else run into this? It's driving me insane!

Thanks in advance, as always!

Have you tried ToastyX's CRU app?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038472976&postcount=455

I'm using Catalyst (not the newest version) and I have R,G,B, and all channels options for each monitor under Catalyst->Desktop Properties->Color. Did you enable "Advanced mode"?

If you really need two monitors to closely match you'll need to use a calibrator. The hard part then becomes enforcing the color profiles, and unfortunately I don't have a good way to do that yet for games.

Yeah, I just found that out myself recently. My previous nVidia card from 2007 has 2 dual-link DVI outputs, but the new(ish) AMD does not. Looks like I will be sticking with AMD anyway though since they have remained more receptive to people using calibrations and >60Hz displays.

OK Thanks I found the individual color settings where you stated. That doesn't seem to intuitive as there is also a "Display Color" under "My digital flat panels" that has the single hue adjuster bar I was talking about..

As to calibrating the panels. I just wanted them to be similar (they don't need to be perfect) to each other so when I would have both up, "my" eyes wouldn't always be saying in my brain, "wtf with the monitors looking different"?

Well I got my monitor from Green Sum today and there are some issues.

There's a few dead pixels, I haven't done a complete thorough search but I found a few and based on there positions (and if I find more) they might be enough to send it back...although they are so hard to find since they are tiny that if they were the only issue, I wouldn't send them back.

The big problem is that the monitor makes noise based on what is on the screen. Usually it is faint but annoying (like the whine on a CRT TV whine it is warming up) but I found a post on overclock.net that suggested trying this picture:
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/3503/200006resolutionprimertab3.png
When I open that picture full screen, it makes a very loud noise, audible over fans/air-conditioner/music/etc.
I made a video where I you can hear the sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5JC8nKqx0&feature=youtu.be

What is my course of action here? In that same overclock.net thread, there was a post about opening up the screen and putting epoxy on one of the chips which can vibrate and make noise. I am not sure that it is the same chip in my case but I don't really want to open up a brand new monitor if I can return it. The power supply seems to be working fine (even though it doesn't say 110v) so I don't know that that is the issue.
I'm going to try harder to locate the dead pixels and then send that video to Green Sum and see what happens.

edit: to be clear, this noise is NOT coming from the adapter. The adapter is silent except for a 60hz hum that I can only hear if I press it hard against my ear. The sound is coming from behind the monitor.

Update on this--Green Sum is taking it back.

They gave me a DHL Collect No--do I just put this in as the account number when I am shipping the package and they will charge that account? Not sure how this works...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110833856200

these are brand new and in box...thinking about pulling the trigger anyone want to talk me out of it?

I just bought two of them. They are amazing. However keep in mind there is no scaler, so you can't even view the bios...monitor only displays output when its fed its native rez of 2560x1440.

I purchase two of these. They were shipped the same day I ordered them and got to me in 2 days from Korea.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just bought two of them. They are amazing. However keep in mind there is no scaler, so you can't even view the bios...monitor only displays output when its fed its native rez of 2560x1440.

I purchase two of these. They were shipped the same day I ordered them and got to me in 2 days from Korea.

thanks for the link i'm really stoked for these, did you have any of the dc power adapter issues like others have in this thread?

thanks for the link i'm really stoked for these, did you have any of the dc power adapter issues like others have in this thread?

I'm on 120 circuits and had no issues. They have been flawless so far. Going from a 28" HansG 1080p TN panel to these is just amazing. I as soon as I got the first one in and calibrated I immediately ordered another.

I just confirmed the VESA mounting pattern is 100x100.

how did you calibrate them? software or the manual controls on the back?

how did you calibrate them? software or the manual controls on the back?

I'm the IT guy for a creative marketing agency, so we have a Spyder Pro that we use to calibrate all the screens for the designers. Works really well and is super easy to use.

A few years ago me and a few of my friends would all pitch in for one and share it whenever someone needed to calibrate their screen.

thanks for the input. there's some brightness controls correct?

It has tempered glass, which adds reflections and may have dust behind it, but does help protect the screen.

This really isn't that complicated...

And yes, there are brightness controls. Up and Down.

ok ok i think ill pull the trigger and get the one you got, except i'll get 3

Hmm, this seems like it might be problematic for setting resolution in games. How annoying has that been? Also is there a place to get those power adapters for less than $50?

yeah thats worrisome which is why i picked up just one for now to see if three would work for me

Yes there are brightness controls. There are two other buttons which I assume are contrast but while adjusting them all the way up and down I didn't notice and visible difference in the display, so they might not be functional. It would be hard to tell as contrast is often a difficult thing to gauge, especially if you don't have an OSD telling you the actual screen setting being applied.

Just make sure you always have another display handy that has a scaler as your BIOS screen or anything that is not native rez will not display at all.

I hear the tempered glass ones can have stuff behind the glass...so I can't confirm that it would be a good choice to buy one as I have the non glass type.

Last edited:
Hmm, this seems like it might be problematic for setting resolution in games. How annoying has that been? Also is there a place to get those power adapters for less than $50?

What power adapters? The display works just fine out of the box.

I have had no issues setting rez in games. I think the OS scales the game for the monitor....I'm not exactly sure but I was able to set all my games to native rez within the in game menu after I upgraded.

Interesting....mine don't even register an input until Windows gets to the logon screen.

I can replicate that problem by switching to a different DVI connector on the video cards that I use. Try connecting to a different port or connecting to the other video card if you run SLI.

Edit: If that doesn't work, or perhaps in additon to that, try this: disable SLI/Crossfire. Then try switching ports. When you find one that works in bootup, keep your monitor plugged into that port and reenable SLI/Crossfire.

I can replicate that problem by switching to a different DVI connector on the video cards that I use. Try connecting to a different port or connecting to the other video card if you run SLI.

Edit: If that doesn't work, or perhaps in additon to that, try this: disable SLI/Crossfire. Then try switching ports. When you find one that works in bootup, keep your monitor plugged into that port and reenable SLI/Crossfire.

Thanks. I will give this a shot. I don't have a 3rd monitor yet and had planned on my 3rd being something with a scaler so I can hook up a KVM and whatnot to it as well as read the BIOS and other things easily.

FWIW when I used my 2B catleap as my only monitor it showed BIOS etc fine. Now that I have it beside a 24" BenQ, it shows absolutely nothing until the windows logon screen (no input at all). I think the difference was I swapped DVI ports, but it could just be it doesn't like sharing (lol). The BenQ still shows all the boot screens just fine though.

My QH270-Lite works fine in the BIOS and Windows install screens. I'm using a Radeon 7750.

What power adapters? The display works just fine out of the box.

I have had no issues setting rez in games. I think the OS scales the game for the monitor....I'm not exactly sure but I was able to set all my games to native rez within the in game menu after I upgraded.

Ah sorry, some of the Korean monitors on ebay go out of their way to say that they include the AC adapter, and I noticed the one you linked didn't. I checked separately for the adapters and they're $50, as seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=shimian+power&_sacat=0&_odkw=shimian&_osacat=0

But yeah I guess it would be pretty shitty of them to send the monitor without any way of plugging it in.

Back