Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

It is unlocked, I am going to install a second video card just to make sure its the video card.

The cable inside the monitor itself was a little loose, opened the monitor up fixed it and all is well.

Just picked up a Yamakasi Catleap. Whoever said the stand sucked earlier was right. It sucks! But for what I need it for, which is basically a stationary monitor, it's perfectly fine. Gaming on the keyboard and mouse doesn't make it shake. A simple tap on the top of the monitor does though. I am very impressed. $310, shipped for free from Korea, and it only took about four working days. No dead pixels from what I can tell. This is an awesome upgrade from the Samsung 24" that I've been using these last four years (from Costco for $299.99 plus tax).

Diablo 3 performance doesn't seem to have suffered on my system going up to this resolution, so I'm relieved that I don't have to upgrade the video card as well.

I got mine today and didnt realize how bad the colors were on my dell u23 and westinghouse 37. I am going to wait for the OC edition to come then use this one as my second screen. Its absolutely stunning minus the CRAP stand. This thing wobbles more then Michael J Fox on a trampoline but I will be picking up a quality stand for this shortly.

I got mine today and didnt realize how bad the colors were on my dell u23 and westinghouse 37. I am going to wait for the OC edition to come then use this one as my second screen. Its absolutely stunning minus the CRAP stand. This thing wobbles more then Michael J Fox on a trampoline but I will be picking up a quality stand for this shortly.

How difficult is it going from your westy 37 to a much smaller monitor like a 27?

Still have not been able to locate any of these so-called Korean monitors on peninsula. Hell, I can't find any other products by the listed companies as well.

My biggest issue with these monitors were the banding and lack of adjustments. Only standard is doable as far as normal viewing is concerned - all other settings crushed the colors - mostly blacks. Overall a great display - no major issues - though to me this monitor doesn't seem built to last - you have to have the contrast at about 75-80 to get a good picture - not good for longetivity.

Higher contrast setting does not mean less longevity.

Banding is due to improperly set color profile in most cases.

That's who I got my CrossOver27Q from...and the description is accurate. No dead or stuck pixels. The stand and build is quite a bit better than my Shimian. I didn't need the ability to use it in portrait mode, so I opted for the standard model.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone who is using the Shimian Q270 and has attempted to manually set refresh higher than 60hz? If so can you shoot me your specs and what program you're using? I'm currently attempting to use Toasty'X's CRU but a bit confused on some settings.

I've heard people getting 70-74 on their refresh and Id like to try myself.

Dead pixels havent been much of an issue with these monitors. Stuck pixels has...and the pixel guarantee are for dead, not stuck pixels. Just something to keep in mind.
Yeah but they cover it if you have more than two, and you can try to fix a stuck pixel at least.

Obviously we can't get a perfect monitor or everyone would buy theses instead of quality A+ panels.

Help needed: Someone with a 2B catleap that has two or more AMD 79xx series cards to test crossfire refresh rates over 85 Hz (ToastyX got 120 Hz on AMD card's working on single GPU, need help testing crossfire).

My biggest issue with these monitors were the banding and lack of adjustments. Only standard is doable as far as normal viewing is concerned - all other settings crushed the colors - mostly blacks. Overall a great display - no major issues - though to me this monitor doesn't seem built to last - you have to have the contrast at about 75-80 to get a good picture - not good for longetivity.
Philstat correct me if i'm wrong but your experience is only with Microcenter's Auria model, which uses a different video board (and different firmware because of it).

It's hard to throw blanket statements around 27" displays when the internals are different.

My Catleap has no visible banding, and i don't recall other Catleap or Shimian owner's mentioning it.

I think the anandtech buzz will settle down in a couple weeks. To me this only shows just how much demand their is for these. A couple months ago no one even knew about them. Now they are showing up in retail locations and on major review sites. This is really bad for companies like dell / HP / Apple who have spent a long time twisting peoples arms into way over paying for their larger displays.

When is the OCN version coming? I would also like that one but I dont know where they are posting information to get one. The old thread isnt used any more.

When is the OCN version coming? I would also like that one but I dont know where they are posting information to get one. The old thread isnt used any more.

They moved to a new forum since OCN basically said that unless they can control everything the thread will be locked.

http://120hz.net/

I personally will not be buying the 120hz model since I believe it is going to cost at least $450+

They moved to a new forum since OCN basically said that unless they can control everything the thread will be locked.

http://120hz.net/

I personally will not be buying the 120hz model since I believe it is going to cost at least $450+

Best $150 extra ever spent. ;)

The difference between 60 Hz and 100+ is massive.

What about in non-gaming applications?

Reading documents for hours on end, video / movie playback, etc ?

What's your opinion there? Less eye-strain / eye-fatigue at all?

I've never OWNED an LCD with high refresh rate, so I'm not sure how that feels throughout the day.

This may be the dumbest question but I am building a new computer around a gtx 670 and for the Catleap or the Shimian will I need any special adapters or cables (that aren't included with the monitor) to be able to run this monitor? If so, which ones? I've just seen users needing ~$50 adapters and that kind of puts me off a little. Also, about the input lag for the cables, which ones create a lot of lag and which ones dont? Thanks in advance for any help.

What about in non-gaming applications?

Reading documents for hours on end, video / movie playback, etc ?

What's your opinion there? Less eye-strain / eye-fatigue at all?

I've never OWNED an LCD with high refresh rate, so I'm not sure how that feels throughout the day.

It won't really help with eyestrain, would just make text scroll a little bit smoother.

This may be the dumbest question but I am building a new computer around a gtx 670 and for the Catleap or the Shimian will I need any special adapters or cables (that aren't included with the monitor) to be able to run this monitor? If so, which ones? I've just seen users needing ~$50 adapters and that kind of puts me off a little. Also, about the input lag for the cables, which ones create a lot of lag and which ones dont? Thanks in advance for any help.
If your videcoard has a dual-link DVI port capable of 2560x1440 then you won't need any $50 adapter.

Video cables do not create input lag nor affect pixel response time. These monitors come with a dual-link DVI cable btw.

You're good to go basically.

I have the Yamakasi 60Hz version and the Asus VG236. Is it possible to have both of these connected to a GTX 680 and get 120Hz from the Asus? So far have not been able to do it. Even if i put the Asus as the primary display still i get 60Hz from it. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hey guys,

This'll have been asked a million times, but this thread is so huge, so don't hit me!

I tried the UK Hazro brand (Basically the same as the shiman) and it was crap, so put me off these cheap monitors. Now I'm seeing huge buzz for the Korean versions.

I was thinking of going for the crossover because of the sheer build quality seems to be the best - good idea?

If I request, can I get them to check for stuck pixels as well? I have HUGE OCD regarding any kind of defective pixels. Case in point, when I bought the two U23s I have now owned for about 2/3 years, each one had a single red stuck pixel. Got both of them exchanged. I have zero tolerance for pixel defects.

Which surface coating does it have? Is it a very light matte, or is the same glossy coating as the Apple display? (Hoping the latter, honestly - but don't want a glass screen. Can't be bothered with dust getting stuck in there!).

How is the display quality in terms of backlight bleed and IPS glow? Haven't seen reviews myself yet if these have been compared, if so, would like some links!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

If I request, can I get them to check for stuck pixels as well? I have HUGE OCD regarding any kind of defective pixels. Case in point, when I bought the two U23s I have now owned for about 2/3 years, each one had a single red stuck pixel. Got both of them exchanged. I have zero tolerance for pixel defects.

Thanks.

You'll have to pay for the Pixel Perfect version and even then you may not get a monitor that is 100%. That's why these are so inexpensive.

Bottom Line: If you are THAT into your screens then you best pony up the cash and get the right ones instead of taking your chances here on these monitors. You'll end up costing yourself more in returns (its' $100 shipped back to Korea) if you have any problems to get them to replace it and then you may get another one.

I bought 2: 1 has a stuck green pixel in the upper right corner, no biggy. The other is flawless. I can live with these flaws as it does not bother me like it would you.

P.S. Search button works well too.

OK final question before I get to a decision. Right now I have a 560ti and in the near future (before Borderlands 2) I'll be upgrading to a 670. I also play Civ V, BF3, and Total War games (suck at all of them lol). My Original monitor purchase was going to be the Asus VG236H 120HZ monitor. Then I started to pay attention to this thread and these peeked my interest so much so I'm a day away from buying a PCBank pixel perfect (This is the one with the least input lag??). But then I see there are 2B Catleap that can be overclocked to 120Hz. Would it be worth to just throw my money into the 120Hz Catleap or would getting the PCBank (or what ever the cheapest panel would be) for surfing and such and the VG236H for gaming be a better option? Thanks in advance for your help!

OK final question before I get to a decision. Right now I have a 560ti and in the near future (before Borderlands 2) I'll be upgrading to a 670. I also play Civ V, BF3, and Total War games (suck at all of them lol). My Original monitor purchase was going to be the Asus VG236H 120HZ monitor. Then I started to pay attention to this thread and these peeked my interest so much so I'm a day away from buying a PCBank pixel perfect (This is the one with the least input lag??). But then I see there are 2B Catleap that can be overclocked to 120Hz. Would it be worth to just throw my money into the 120Hz Catleap or would getting the PCBank (or what ever the cheapest panel would be) for surfing and such and the VG236H for gaming be a better option? Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you want your 120hz guaranteed or only possible?

Guaranteed=ASUS
Possible=120hz 2B Catleap

Spend you money with that in mind.

I have the Yamakasi 60Hz version and the Asus VG236. Is it possible to have both of these connected to a GTX 680 and get 120Hz from the Asus? So far have not been able to do it. Even if i put the Asus as the primary display still i get 60Hz from it. Any thoughts? Thanks

Anyone?

Dumb question, but with computer monitors such as these, is it better to watch blu rays on these computer monitors over a flat screen TV? I have a 47" vizio 1080p 120hz tv and was wondering if I should even bother with a blu ray player for my computer.

I'm interested in buying the non-multi version because of the input lag issues and also because of the higher price tag.

Would I be able to play PS3/XBOX with it through HDMI-DVI-D adapters ? If no, what about some active converters (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290720649525 - I'm posting the ebay link because I don't know what brand it is - or Accell UltraAV B087B-007B DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter) connected through an (Mini) Displayport to HDMI ?

I've looked up and I haven't seen any experience with these converters/scalers. If it doesn't work, is there any cheap options for a external scaler that can do HDMI(720p/1080p)-DVI-DUAL ?

I couldn't find any HDMI-DVI-D active converters, but just with displayport in the middle of the proccess

Last edited:

How are you getting them for $450? The lowest I've seen is $530+$20 shipping. Also, it seems the ones with the 2B boards are multi which causes 2.5-3 times the input lag over single input. Are they making single input 2B models by any chance?

Back