Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire thread but I was wondering if these monitors are suitable for gaming? I would game mostly on my PC and Xbox 360 (Maybe PS3 in the future) and I play games that are extremely lag sensitive. I play games such as Modern Warfare 3 and fighting games like Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter 4 where even slight lag will make the monitor completely useless. How do these stack up? (especially since most of my gaming would be in 1080p)

If you want almost no lag you have to get the single input version with no OSD. The single input version is Dual Link DVI. If you want the multiple input version, you're going to get more lag. Get one of these for your PC and use a TV for your game consoles.

My CrossOver 2720MDP is working fine now, I made sure the dual link DVI cord was really firmly fastened in and the flickering went away. It has been working flicker free for a day. This still doesn't explain why it flickered when only my 360 was connected via HDMI.

The seller offered to give me 50$ for my trouble or to take it back, not sure what to do.

If you want almost no lag you have to get the single input version with no OSD. The single input version is Dual Link DVI. If you want the multiple input version, you're going to get more lag. Get one of these for your PC and use a TV for your game consoles.
Which brands/models are the single input version?

Question for new owners -- how does watching a Bluray, or just video in general, look on these 27" korean monitors compared to say, a Plasma TV or LCD TV?

I realize they're completely different beasts but I haven't been able to find a PC monitor that even approaches the black levels and contrast ratios of dedicated flatscreen TV's, just wondering how close they get.

Last edited:
The black levels on IPS panels are pathetic compared to VA and Plasma TV's.

The Samsung S27A650D uses an MVA panel and has deep blacks, phillips and BenQ also make 27" monitors with VA panels.

The black levels on IPS panels are pathetic compared to VA and Plasma TV's.

The Samsung S27A650D uses an MVA panel and has deep blacks, phillips and BenQ also make 27" monitors with VA panels.

How are more recent VA displays with response time? I had an older S-PVA and the ghosting was horrendous. It had a noticeable input lag too.

That is getting a little off topic for this thread, but here is my take.
All monitors have tradeoffs. If you can afford it, imo best to have one monitor for each general type of usage. At a desk in my case that would be a high ppi ips for desktop apps, desktop real esate, goregeous (static) imagery incl uniformity, color quality, and the fine pixels. A separate 120hz 2ms + high/very high response time compensation TN for appreciable lcd blur reduction on FoV movement - just for gaming. Like NCX said, for movies a VA or plasma TV have superior black-levels but in general have their own serious tradeoffs in regard to desktop usage and gaming. I keep the superior black-level type of display to my living room TV (on a modest surround system) and go there if I want to watch a movie.
... I still have a fw900 graphics profressional crt which is essentially blur-free. All lcd's blur to one degree or another in gaming. I used a fw900 alongside a 27.5" 1920x1200 or other TN for about four or five years, but now I have a 27" 2560x1440 10ms+ response time ips ACD which is similar to these korean monitors, and a 27" 1920x1080 2ms + high/very high RTC 120hz TN I got when they were on sale once for $399. If I had to watch movies at my desk regularly I would probably use the crt, or if I didn't have one perhaps add one of the monitors NCX mentioned, or a small VA tv.
.. I would have jumped on this deal had these korean ips been avail at the time I got my ACD. I paid my ACD off on no interest from BB and have had it over a year now. I don't regret it even at its much higher price (almost 3x). If anything like the ACD at the price these korean monitors (or even microcenter) is charging I would recommend getting one regardless of any tradeoffs. Every time I come home to the ACD after using monitors elsewhere it just blows me away for regular desktop usage and beautiful imagery.

How are more recent VA displays with response time?

Most of the newer VA panels except the 27" BenQ don't have any input lag. PRAD.de has reviews of the new 24" Samsung and Phillips models. The Phillips is really fast like some of the older models like the Samsung 24/27/305t and Dell 2408 rev 2, while the S24A650D is slower than most IPS panels.

I measured the input lag on my 2720MDP vs my S27A850D and they were identical which puts the input lag a little over 1 frame (18-24ms). The Crossover has much better overdrive and is actually very fast, it is much faster than the BenQ XL2420T @60hz as well as a few other TN panels I have used.

Most of the newer VA panels except the 27" BenQ don't have any input lag. PRAD.de has reviews of the new 24" Samsung and Phillips models. The Phillips is really fast like some of the older models like the Samsung 24/27/305t and Dell 2408 rev 2, while the S24A650D is slower than most IPS panels.

I measured the input lag on my 2720MDP vs my S27A850D and they were identical which puts the input lag a little over 1 frame (18-24ms). The Crossover has much better overdrive and is actually very fast, it is much faster than the BenQ XL2420T @60hz as well as a few other TN panels I have used.

I'm referring to pixel response time and ghosting. I don't notice any input lag on the catleap but it does ghost to my Planar SA2311w. How do these VA displays compare in that area to an IPS. I'm glad to hear that the input lag has vastly improved.

I'm confused with this thread topic. Is this about the Acheiva monitors or the Yamakasi monitors or both? There doesn't seem to be a separate Yamakasi monitor thread. Also does anyone know what panel these monitors use? LG IPS?

Which brands/models are the single input version?

The three main displays people have been getting are: Shimian, Catleap, and Crossover.

- Shimian is the cheapest, currently at less than $300
- Catleap has a better case (in my opinion) but a crappy stand and was appx $320 when I
bought early May. It's gone down a little since then.
- Crossover has the nicest case, as it is aluminum, but also the most expensive.

All three of these are available in single input. The single input required to push this much resolution is Dual link DVI. Each of these is also available in multi input versions if you don't mind the lag, but the multi input versions are more expensive. Each of these uses the same panel.

I bought a $40 stand off of amazon for my catleap, got a pixel perfect display, and could not be more thrilled.

I was having a hard time finding a stand, so today I stopped at Canadacomputers and picked up a Ross Double Arm Desk Mount. Its rated for 24" and 33lbs.....I donno, I just set it up and I can tell its really stressing it...Looks sick though.

Great news about the Accell 330MHz DP to DVI adapter: http://www.accellcables.com/products/DisplayPort/DP/dp330_dvid.htm

They must have used a nice chip in here as I can overclock this bad boy to ~425 MHz pixel clock, or about 108 Hz on the Catleap. It's good to know that I can make one of my monster Eyefinity setups now and be at pretty good refresh rate. ;)
Just to set my cloudy thinking straight, you do have the rev. 2B pcb right?

I'm guessing it's a yes but figured i would ask just in case.

TIA

For all you guys with elementary questions on the models, prices, inputs, lag, etc... I made a separate thread to organize all this better, like a sticky... check it out and for those of u who know better, let me know if any corrections are needed and I'll make them so we have an accurate OP, thanks.

LINKY

Have two questions. First has anyone figured out if there's a way to open the Shimian IPSB (Tempered glass) if there were dust behind the panel? I know you can do it with the Apple monitors with a bit of work...

Also, second has anyone thought of using the EBay Squaretrade warranty. Shows that they will refund purchase if defective and cannot be fixed with FREE shipping to their warehouses.

shimian or catleap? which is best to buy?

I'd say its whatever is cheapest. End result is they all use the same panel, so the only difference is the casing and stand....or if you can get a 120mhz model, but thats a whole different route.

I went with the Shimian w/ tempered glass as it was cheaper then the catleaps, I was going to arm mount it anyways, and I could get it from green-sum in 3 days(to canada).

Just got the Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSB. Took 5 days total to place the order via ebay, have it acknowledged, fly it across the world from Korea, spend a day in customs, and then delivery it to my house.

At just under $360 USD (total, including shipping etc.) it was marginally more expensive than buying it through other distributors, but I found accessorieswhole's communication to be better and and their policy on checking for dead/stuck pixels (whether true or not) to be more reassuring. Regardless, there are no dead or stuck pixels and no dust behind the glass. I'm glad I went for the glass version as it makes it look more elegant than the non-glass versions.

Came with two free scarves (?!) and a power adaptor, courtesy of buying this through accessorieswhole. Also came with a 1.5m dual DVI cable and a form with customer service details. Very nice monitor, definitely an upgrade from my (more expensive) Dell 2709W. It's also a good looking monitor especially with the glass front; from a purely aesthetically perspective, it looks better than the Dell.

On the negative side, I find the stand flimsy but that's irrelevant as it'll go onto my Ergotron LX Desk Mount, which is a brilliant desk mount for 27" (and below) monitors (highly recommended for anyone who wants to upgrade their mounting). The connectors are poorly placed, but it's not a big deal for me as I prefer to connect my monitor properly once and then leave it connected.

Overall a great buy at this price. Would never have thought to get a 2560x1440 IPS monitor like this at a total cost of under $360 including delivery.

shimian or catleap? which is best to buy?

My shimian needed calibration bad while my catleap didn't. I honestly prefer the stand on the catleap since at least its adjustable. I guess that its a pita to remove since you have to pull the whole monitor apart to get to the vesa mount though.

Just got the Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSB. Took 5 days total to place the order via ebay, have it acknowledged, fly it across the world from Korea, spend a day in customs, and then delivery it to my house.

At just under $360 USD (total, including shipping etc.) it was marginally more expensive than buying it through other distributors, but I found accessorieswhole's communication to be better and and their policy on checking for dead/stuck pixels (whether true or not) to be more reassuring. Regardless, there are no dead or stuck pixels and no dust behind the glass. I'm glad I went for the glass version as it makes it look more elegant than the non-glass versions.

Came with two free scarves (?!) and a power adaptor, courtesy of buying this through accessorieswhole. Also came with a 1.5m dual DVI cable and a form with customer service details. Very nice monitor, definitely an upgrade from my (more expensive) Dell 2709W. It's also a good looking monitor especially with the glass front; from a purely aesthetically perspective, it looks better than the Dell.

On the negative side, I find the stand flimsy but that's irrelevant as it'll go onto my Ergotron LX Desk Mount, which is a brilliant desk mount for 27" (and below) monitors (highly recommended for anyone who wants to upgrade their mounting). The connectors are poorly placed, but it's not a big deal for me as I prefer to connect my monitor properly once and then leave it connected.

Overall a great buy at this price. Would never have thought to get a 2560x1440 IPS monitor like this at a total cost of under $360 including delivery.

The Ergotron LX probably wont do. Its rated for 20lbs and your screen is atleast 25lbs. I have the same screen as you and its really heavy...I had a heck of a time finding a mount that would take its weight. I found a desk swing arm thats rated for 33lbs and its a strain on it.

Im glad I got the QH270-IPSB over the lite. The glass makes it look outstanding.

The Ergotron LX probably wont do. Its rated for 20lbs and your screen is atleast 25lbs. I have the same screen as you and its really heavy...I had a heck of a time finding a mount that would take its weight. I found a desk swing arm thats rated for 33lbs and its a strain on it.

Im glad I got the QH270-IPSB over the lite. The glass makes it look outstanding.

Agreed the glass is nice.

The Dell 2709W is about the same weight as the QH270-IPSB, and I've had it on the Ergotron LX for a year now, and attached to a glass desk (half inch thickness) as a base. Manufacturers' recommended weights for such monitor mounts, especially one with solid brand name to protect like Ergotron, are extremely conservative and need to take into account the abuse workers, who don't especially care about company owned kit, will put it through on site. The arm is solidly built of metal, which specific part do you think might snap off and break? I'd expect my desk to shatter first before the arm or internal spring did, but so far so good. Look at it like putting an Intel chip through a mild overclock (or buying an Achieva Shimian from Korea).

While I wouldn't recommend most people attach it to a base made of glass (that's a risk I take), I'd say it'd be pretty solid with a normal wood desk. Anyway, up to every individual to decide on the risk level they're willing to take.

Last edited:
If I wanted to run two of these on my 2GB 6950, connect one to the DL DVI and the other through a display port adapter? I plan on keeping my current 1080p monitor hooked up through the other DVI just for gaming.

Cheapest place for the dual dvi to dp adapter? Monoprice?

Well, looks like my display PSU just died, lucky I still have the Planar to fall back on.

As a result I can confirm that the Nanjing Frontek model FPS0120-05A does not handle 120v input well. Or it's just a piece of shit. Not sure. Never got hot, nothing odd, then today the display went dark, no standby or power light, and the light on the PSU was dead. I may open it up later if I get bored.

Does someone have a ebay link handy to one of the proper 120v deals with correct polarity / etc? EDIT: Got this one, fairly sure it's correct. http://www.ebay.com/itm/28067389977...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1505wt_1139
Sucks that it uses a non-standard cord.

EDIT2: The linked adapter is normally $25, not $125. If it's high, look for a similar one, there are many options.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just snagged one from red-cap for 289$ hopefully it shows up in good condition with no dead pixels.

O2D9y.jpg

Magnificant. Only complain is the monitors aren't leveled nor are they the same height. One is taller than the other. I have to fold some paper and wedge it under to level the monitors on the same plane.

Can anyone help me as to how I am supposed to open the monitor to reseat the cables?

Thanks!

received my catleap monitor from greensum today. i plugged it in and began smelling some burning coming from the motherboard, a few seconds later smoke started coming out of the monitor. needless to say the monitor didn't work. messaged greensum to see what he'll say. i've read both this thread and the overclockers one and havne't seen this issue with anyone.

Thanks for the starting point...I have the Shimian Lite, so it looks like I will have to figure the rest out myself.

Figured out: Remove rear screws, pop black bezel off on front (pull outwards) from white bezel (held on by tape and tabs).

Remove screws, lift lcd out of housing.

Thanks...unit works great!

Last edited:
So my head is spinning at this point. I think I've decided on the Crossover or the PCBank. Of the two which is better? Also is their a particular variant of either I should lean toward. I have a 560 ti and obviously I don't have the horsepower to game on this but I have another 1080p monitor that I wanted to run at the same time to game until I can afford Asus VG236H as my gaming monitor along with a new video card. So any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Go to Microcenter..... Buy the Auria. Its the same panel WITH an easy to obtain warranty. U wont be disappointed. :)

I would not have re registered just to endorse a product if I did not believe it was the cats meow. You owe it to yourself before pressing "Buy" on ebay.

Back