Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

The 550 one is an IPSM model - 10 bit, 1.07 billion colors.

Its still under speculation whether its true 10bit vs 8bit+FRC. Still, even if it is an 8bit panel, unless you're doing hardcore photography work, people probably can't tell the difference.

i had assumed it would be similar to the apple thunderbolt display, with the glass extending to cover the bezels as well. maybe that's not the case though. see how apple shows a continuous reflection over the bezels? the pics of the tempered glass Shimian do the same, though i think they're just artist's renders so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Yes, I see what you mean. I think that has more to do with the ACD simply having it's bezel "flush" so to speak with the rest of the screen - it's one flat piece whereas most bezels protrude beyond the panel itself. I'm not certain if the tempered glass model Achieva will address that but we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
according to what i can figure on the website, it also has 1 million to 1 contrast ratio :rolleyes:

The new $550 achieva has a better dead pixel warranty, so most likely will not have any dead pixels. But you gotta pay over a hundred more for it.

From the OCN thread:

The 550 one is an IPSM model - 10 bit, 1.07 billion colors.

So far, 3 of the cheaper IPSB(S) models reported received and nothing bad reported about them.

BB
I found out from Dream-Seller that the $550 (Edit: he just jacked the price up to $800) Achieva QH270-IPSMDP is the only 27" he carries with a working OSD menu, the other lower end models supposedly won't have it.

And another Korean based seller has the original Achieva for $403 shipped and a "best offer" feature. I wonder what the lowest price is he's willing to accept...

Personally i believe all of them are 8-bit panels and 8-bit video boards, which is a good thing imho and what most enthusiasts should be looking for. I also feel all of this 10-bit stuff is nonsense, it would need both a 10bit panel and 10-bit video board and most manufacturers will skimp on one or the other and still call it 10-bit anyway :rolleyes:. The $550 (Edit: $800) model *may* have it, but i wouldn't count on it nor would i personally want it. If i've mixed up my laymen's view then someone please clarify ;). Read the second post here for more info.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was about to make an offer on that $403 shipped monitor until I read in his description

"2. Unitil 5 dead pixel is normal ." (sic)

No me gusta.

And another Korean based seller has the original Achieva for $403 shipped and a "best offer" feature. I wonder what the lowest price is he's willing to accept...

I made an offer of $383 and it was auto-rejected. I guess he has a buy-it-now-reserve-price already preset. At $383+, I'd rather get it from the dreamseller, as he uses a faster shipping option.

lol $383? I was gonna offer $303! :D (only because it'd cost an assload to return the thing, and because I worry about what might happen after the first 7 days v_v)

I found out from Dream-Seller that the $550 Achieva QH270-IPSMDP is the only 27" he carries with a working OSD menu, the other lower end models supposedly won't have it.

either your price was a mistake or dreamseller jacked up the price by $250.
it is listed $800

it is listed $800
Yep, he just jacked up the price on that model.

He also lowered the price of the original Shimian to $401.

I made an offer of $383 and it was auto-rejected. I guess he has a buy-it-now-reserve-price already preset. At $383+, I'd rather get it from the dreamseller, as he uses a faster shipping option.
Thanks for the heads up TPC

$250 is a helluva lot to jack something up after someone shows a little bit of interest. This seller can take that imaginary $250 increase and shove it.

Took the plunge, got the one with VESA mounts and no OSD (hopefully) as I want the lower input lag. $401 shipped. Anyone want to buy a badass PX2611w?

Which one is that, silent? Also, I hope you post your impressions when you get it; while I may be overly skeptical about buying from sellers in other countries (because they can screw you over very easily), I definitely would love a 27" glossy monitor that doesn't cost more than two month's rent.

Forget a group buy. Someone needs to hop on a plane, head to Korea, purchase several, then bring them back and make a killing . . .

Forget a group buy. Someone needs to hop on a plane, head to Korea, purchase several, then bring them back and make a killing . . .

Are they really that much cheaper there, though? And what does a ticket to Korea run these days...

Will hopefully get mine in the next week or so. I'll post pics and impressions ASAP.

Are they really that much cheaper there, though? And what does a ticket to Korea run these days...

Will hopefully get mine in the next week or so. I'll post pics and impressions ASAP.

No idea on the plane ticket price. The monitor is substantially cheaper there though. Sellers over on Danawa are selling the Catleaps and the Shimians for around $240 USD for the base models. I seriously doubt that shipping is included but, even if it wasn't there is no way Shipping is going to drive the cost up to $400+

I'm not endorsing Dawana and you would need someone that can speak Korean to "broker" the deal but those guys are obviously making a profit at $240 so yes, the monitor would be substanially cheaper if purchased in person.

$250 is a helluva lot to jack something up after someone shows a little bit of interest. This seller can take that imaginary $250 increase and shove it.

I guess you could buy a 2560x1440 display for cheaper somewhere else, right?

Why are you pissed at some random guy on ebay who has obviously invested tens of thousands, if not more, on displays rather than oem's who are obviously gouging the fuck out of us everywhere outside of korea?

it is listed $800

I'm guessing it was a pricing mistake because those displays are $650+ on gmarket.

Honestly this whole thing kind of pisses me off because it shows that there is very little cost difference in making a 2560x1440 panel vs 1080p or 1920x1200, but up until now we were still being charged double or more to get anything higher than 1920x1200.

Last edited:
Are you serious, Steal? The guy is IN KOREA. By the same token, I do not need to invest as much in a mass item deal if the vendor lives right down the street from me versus the guy who lives out of state and must buy online or over the phone.

Really, do you just buy everything online or something? Whatever idea you have of how business trades work is a little backwards to say the least, and I'd be more than surprised if he didn't just hand off eBay orders to whoever sells the panels in bulk for a cut of the profit (or even better, he could be the SAME PERSON). We don't live in a black and white business world where you have to actually possess anything before selling it, otherwise contractors would be out of business all over the world.

...dear god. Trying to cancel my ebay order, as unlikely as that is. If dream-seller will agree and give me a refund I will try to find a broker and go through danawa. Even after paying for reshipping and probably around 15% commission it would still be $100 less. $400 is completely unreasonable for what should be a $220 display.

Good luck with that, silent, and please post your experiences should you go through with the Danawa route.

In my own experience dealing with Japanese deputies/shopping services, the less transactions you make the better your savings will be. For example, if you're gonna buy 10 panels, buy 10 panels, not 2 at a time unless you want to be reamed with shipping and commission fees 5x over. Also, the USD is extremely weak against most foreign currencies these past couple of years, so you might want to consider that too (but that is what it is).

If you actually KNOW someone in Korea, though, PM me so I can get some MMO accounts going :mad:

EDIT: Just read that you'll likely use a deputy service. Keep in mind that most services (if they're like Japanese ones) will charge you for shipping twice: once from the vendor to your deputy, then again from the deputy to you. This is also where the charges add up quickly, so make sure to look at the fine print for whoever you use.

The fact there are people that are willing to pay $400 (myself included), why should the seller drop the price? The dude is entitled to earn a maximum profit too you know. If no one bites, then he'll lower the price.

As the previous poster eluded to, shipping across the Pacific isn't exactly cheap. I order a lot of crap from Amazon Japan and shipping starts at ~$30; even if its just for a dinky book. And that $30 is probably a negotiated special rate they have with fedex. So shipping costs would probably be higher for a small business.

And although the seller offers "free shipping", I think he's padded it onto the buy-it-now price. So I highly doubt he's earning a full +$200 profit on each sale.

Those of you that are complaining about the cost are blowing my mind.

You guys are forgetting several things:

* eBay fees = $21.50 for a $400 monitor
* PayPal fees = $15.90 for a $400 monitor
* International express mail shipping = $100+

$240 + $21.50 + $15.90 + $100 = $377.40

I doubt he's making much at all.

Not to mention, you are basically getting the 27" Apple at less than half the price.

Last edited:
You want a display that costs at minimum $240ish on gmarket for $220 shipped from the other side of the world?

No, it runs about $220 and I want it for $300 shipped from the other side of the world... not $400. As is I'll probably end up paying $400 as I already paid the guy and he hasn't responded to my request to cancel. I entered in to a contract, I paid, I will hold to the contract. I'm not going to be a jerk about it, I just realized I should be able to get the thing for about $100 less than I'm paying.

Anyone who sold it to you for $300 SHIPPED with 3-5 day express shipping from Korea would be losing money. A significant amount...let alone before Paypal fees (and Ebay ones, if purchased through there). ToastyX has laid it out quite plainly for you, and cheers to him for that.

You will *not* save as much money going through a broker as you think you will, and in fact introduce additional potential headaches over buying it from eBay - which by the way, is a convienence they are providing.

I'm not sure why you do not understand this.

If anything, you should be enraged that Dell and Apple have the audacity to sell a monitor with THE SAME PANEL for $800+ here in North America.

Some one make a post with spec info for each model and a buy link, if they are feeling nice. This would help potential buyers and avoid any confusion when choosing a display.

my sentiments exactly. especially since it basically wont have any kind of usable warranty

Damn, that was fast. Ordered Saturday, received today. Was from the guy who isn't dreamstar or whatever. Looks gorgeous. IPS, glossy, tempered glass, flush screen, high resolution, no noticeable bleeding or dead pixels - couldn't ask for more for $400. Brightness controls work but there is no functioning OSD.

Man... I am just about to pull the trigger on this... I want a 2560x 27" so bad....

Looks like the tempered glass model has dead pixels. Did the seller with the "zero white dot" policy sell out of monitors?

Looks like the tempered glass model has dead pixels. Did the seller with the "zero white dot" policy sell out of monitors?

Are you basing this off of the one guy that had one dead pixel (on the page linked by the op) or other information?

I am tempted to add this to my Dell U3011. The lack of decent warranty scares me though.

Dust under the glass, eh? I read similar horror stories about people who ordered Hazbro models recently (and these are the same panels, no?)

The horror story part came in when Hazbro's support ended up being horrible. Just the gist of what I got out of that old Hazbro thread at overclock.net; I didn't read the whole thing.

Dust under the glass, eh? I read similar horror stories about people who ordered Hazbro models recently (and these are the same panels, no?)

The horror story part came in when Hazbro's support ended up being horrible. Just the gist of what I got out of that old Hazbro thread at overclock.net; I didn't read the whole thing.

If I was going to get one, I'd get the one without the glass, but I dont have anywhere near the video power to run a 2560x1440 display right now. Hell I'm not even sure what I'd need to power that for decent gaming really.

Granted if I was gonna grab one of those screens, I'd probably wait for NVidia's new cards to power it or snag an older model if they got cheap enough to be worth it. I know ATI has some nice hardware out there atm, but I've gotten so burned by them in the past going back would be a tough pill to swallow.

Back