Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

It worked for the guy over on OCN. He just plugged in a standard PSU power cord and had no issues. That means its a universal brick.

And, finally getting through the entire OCN thread, its an 8-bit panel, too.

Was going to get the Catleap because of the stand, but it does not have VESA mounts in case I decide I can afford more for eyefinity. Still pondering, though. The likelihood I'll go eyefinity with these is pretty small....

BB

Yeah, you'll need Vega's video card set up to run games on three of these. Most of us can't afford that set up! :eek:

What concerns me is the supposed lack of a built in OSD menu. The button is there but brucethemoose claims his button is disabled and he can't access the built-in menu. But then Windfire mentioned that "the OSD menu is accessed through a button on the back of the monitor" but he doesn't sound like he's confirming it either.

Do any monitor or calibration enthusiasts know if the lack of a built-in menu is a big deal or not?

I ask because i've never been a fan of calibrating through the video driver control panel, and always thought the results looked fake to me. Not to mention i've been a big brainfart this whole busy week so maybe i'm just not thinking straight.

I'd really like to buy one tomorrow, but i'd rather get some info and opinions on the matter first. I messaged the Ebay seller but got an auto-reply saying he'll be away till Monday :(

It shouldn't be that big of a deal, you can always adjust color settings in your video card driver's control panel. The HP ZR2740w doesn't come with an OSD either, by the way, only brightness controls.

edit; It seems like people are getting these displays a bit confused. There are six different models, two of which are the higher "professional" level displays with an OSD and multiple inputs and with (I believe) a 10-bit panel (8 bit + FRC?), two mid range displays with the 8 bit panel and an OSD + multiple inputs, and the two lowest end models with only one input and no OSD, which seem to be the ones being sold on ebay right now.

http://www.achieva.co.kr/product/product_03_lcd.htm?cate1=1222158329&cate2=&cate3=&code=1296293833 - This is the QH270-IPSB, and in the pictures below you can see that it only has four buttons on the back, compared to six for the other four models. You can view each of them in the drop down menu at the top.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be that big of a deal, you can always adjust color settings in your video card driver's control panel. The HP ZR2740w doesn't come with an OSD either, by the way, only brightness controls.
Ahh, that's the sort of info i was looking for. I definitely appreciate the feedback, and i did catch your edited post with additional info.

- I take it that the lack of a built-in menu is sorta common?

- And would anyone know if it's something that a pro monitor reviewer would knock off major points for?

I wonder if the same settings are buried in a secret service menu, and if it's accessible or not. Bahh, i'll probably purchase one anyway, would just like to know what i'm getting myself into beforehand.

Ahh, that's the sort of info i was looking for. I definitely appreciate the feedback, and i did catch your edited post with additional info.

I take it that the lack of a built-in menu is sorta common?

And would anyone know if it's something that a pro monitor reviewer would knock off major points for?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2740w.htm

Tftcentral managed to calibrate the zr2740w pretty well without an OSD.

There are some pros to having no osd and no scaler (or a barebones display, I suppose) as it could possibly mean less input lag overall. The zr2740w has 10ms vs 30ms on the u2711, which I believe has scaler.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2740w.htm

Tftcentral managed to calibrate the zr2740w pretty well without an OSD.

There are some pros to having no osd and no scaler (or a barebones display, I suppose) as it could possibly mean less input lag overall. The zr2740w has 10ms vs 30ms on the u2711, which I believe has scaler.
I was thinking along the same lines earlier. A bare minimum of inputs would "imply" the lack of a scaler, and thus have lower input lag. As usual we have to pick our poison and most every model display has it's pro's and cons.

I would definitely purchase the slightly pricier Catleap if i can get confirmation of an OSD menu(?) And thank you again for the info you've provided, it's just enough to make me comfortable with whatever decision i make :)

While I love how the displays likely have low input lag, I gots to have my multiple inputs :(

Guess I'm no longer "in" on any potential group buy, at least until there's some sort of English support for it. The risk of wasting $500 for one of the better 10bit models is just too great considering all that could go wrong after 30days. Maybe if the seller was local I'd still consider (since I could possibly find him at home and kick his ass for selling me a piece of shit), but I ain't interested in going internationally postal over a monitor...

I like how dreamseller says, on the catleap page, that the 5770 can't out put dual link DVI. My 5770 ran the Dell U2711 just fine for the week I had it before I returned it. Still will upgrade my vid card, though. 7770 maybe. Or just hold on and don't game until the 7850s and 7870s come out. Not a heavy gamer.

BB

Speaking of which, just realized, with no scaler, I'd NEED the 6970 or 7850 at least to run this thing at native....

Hmmmmmm........

BB

5770 can run dual-link DVI just fine.

I wouldn't USE it at that resolution, but whoever posted that is a moron.

Not during gaming. During desktop use, sure. I thought you guys would understand that I was simply too lazy to type "...for gaming" in my upgrade sentence. :p

BB

Not during gaming. During desktop use, sure. I thought you guys would understand that I was simply too lazy to type "...for gaming" in my upgrade sentence. :p

BB

Well to game at it's native resolution yes, you'd probably want something better but there's no reason you couldn't play at 1920x1080 or something.

Well to game at it's native resolution yes, you'd probably want something better but there's no reason you couldn't play at 1920x1080 or something.

Without a scaler, less resolution displays at 1:1 pixel mapping in the center of the monitor instead of stretching out to fill the monitor. Thats one of the differences between the Dells and the HPs. That wouldn't be much fun with a .2333 mm pixel pitch.

At least, that's how I understand it when something has no scaler.

BB

Without a scaler, less resolution displays at 1:1 pixel mapping in the center of the monitor instead of stretching out to fill the monitor. Thats one of the differences between the Dells and the HPs. That wouldn't be much fun with a .2333 mm pixel pitch.

BB
Wrong, you still need a scaler for 1:1 mapping. When there's no scaler present, the PC can only send native resolutions to the monitor. This means 2560x1440 and 1280x720.
The GPU will do all the necessary scaling when the monitor does not have a scaler.

Without a scaler, less resolution displays at 1:1 pixel mapping in the center of the monitor instead of stretching out to fill the monitor.

BB

That's my understanding as well since that is exactly what happens when I disable scaling in the Nvidia control panel. As long as your video card can scale though, it shouldn;t be an issue as far as filling the screen goes. How well it does this and how much the I/PQ degrades is another matter though.

Alright, put in an order for the Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSB, which should be the model that has no speakers but tempered glass front rather. This was from seller "dcsamsungmall". I'll update on when it arrives and applicable customs fees (This will be travelling to Canada, not the US).

i'd like to see pics when you get it Vittra. tempered glass will look nice.

Also interested to see pics and impressions of one of these things. Anyone been using one long term? I'd like to make the jump from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440 at some point.

There are two sellers of these things, so there is at least some price competition. I think the pricing is safe for the time being.

Waiting til another couple of people get theirs before I pull the trigger. Have almost done it twice already, but really want to see more than a single user review.

BB

Just ordered 2 of these for my photoshop video editing rig.

Confused on what video card to use with this now though.

I want to run both monitors off of one card, but I guess it needs to have 2 dual link DVI sockets....

Just ordered 2 of these for my photoshop video editing rig.

Confused on what video card to use with this now though.

I want to run both monitors off of one card, but I guess it needs to have 2 dual link DVI sockets....

Which means it should work with any number of videocards. Even the old GTX280 I have laying around does that.

One of the auctions had the GPU (video card) compatibility chart in English but it was most likely for a single monitor. IIRC, there were only a couple of cards that couldn't run a single monitor. I know the 9500GT was one of them and then there was one of the cards in the HD 5xxx series. It seems like there might have been 1 or 2 more.

For desktop usage I would imagine a card that can run that resolution and has dual DVI dual link connectors would be fine. Almost everyone is going to have to run a lower resolution on games though if they want any kind of playable FPS (frames per sec).

I have been thinking about getting one since I live in Korea. I posted this on overclock also. Not that it matters because I highly doubt you would use A/S since shipping it back to Korea would cost so much but...

I got my wife to translate the A/S info on Achieva's monitors. The monitors have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase, if you don't have proof of purchase then 15 months from manufacture date. You must ship it to them. Their dead pixel policy is good for the first month you have it and they only exchange your product for a new one. qh 270-ipst, qh270-ipsm(bypass) - if they have more than 4 dead pixels and qh 270-ipsb(s),qh 270-ipsb(bypass) - if they have more than 10 dead pixels. (http://www.achieva.co.kr/customer/customer_04_as.htm)

Seems like a lot of dead pixels before they'll take it back. I thought you meant they'd exchange it for a new one if it had ONE dead pixel, before reading the last bits of your sentence, p33k :(

Anyone have any idea what the fuss about tempered glass is all about? Both Shimian models and the Catleap are glossy anyway, not sure if the tempered glass is an additional layer, which would be bad imho, or if the tempered glass is just a replacement layer for a shitty panel-covering that got swapped out. I suspect the latter.

Edit: I'm guessing the tempered glass is just that, something more resistant to scratching and breaking, nothing more and nothing less.

Edit: I also messaged the seller to find out if any of the 4 models have a working OSD menu. I'll let everyone know what i find out. I think he's posted another Shimian model with more inputs as well, if the pics are right then that model may have a scaler, but there would be pro's and cons to that.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone have any idea what the fuss about tempered glass is all about? Both Shimian models and the Catleap are glossy anyway, not sure if the tempered glass is an additional layer, which would be bad imho, or if the tempered glass is just a replacement layer for a shitty panel-covering that got swapped out. I suspect the latter.

Edit: I'm guessing the tempered glass is just that, something more resistant to scratching and breaking, nothing more and nothing less.

Edit: I also messaged the seller to find out if any of the 4 models have a working OSD menu. I'll let everyone know what i find out. I think he's posted another Shimian model with more inputs as well, if the pics are right then that model may have a scaler, but there would be pro's and cons to that.

Every version besides the IPSB and IPSBS (basically all of the ones with the extra inputs) should have an OSD like the Hazro HZ27WC.

I'm sure it's in korean but there may be an english language option in the OSD, as most OSD's do have them these days. I saw some screenshots from a review of one of the versions with the OSD and it looked identical to the OSD in the HZ27WA/WC review on tftcentral.

If there's no language option though, someone with one of the Hazro's that has an OSD should be able to translate everything.

If someone who has a HZ27WC could check if there's a korean language option in their OSD that would confirm all of this.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the HZ27WC on tftcentral had around ~30ms input lag vs ~8ms on the HZ27WA (the one with no scaler/extra inputs/osd) so people who are interested in purchasing the higher end versions of the display may want to keep that in mind.

edit; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Achieva-Shi...er_Monitors&hash=item4ab4966584#ht_6008wt_952 this one seems to be identical to the HZ27WC and likely has an OSD. - http://www.achieva.co.kr/product/product_03_lcd.htm?cate1=1222158329&cate2=&cate3=&code=1301399640 the product description on the Achieva website

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

BB
Hmm, why can't it do that for gaming? Seems silly not being able to do that in 2012.

i'd like to see pics when you get it Vittra. tempered glass will look nice.

It shouldn't look much (if at all) different from the pictures in the original review, just a bit more scratch/damage resistant than a standard gloss cover. I'll see about taking pics though, I don't have a proper camera beyond my Nexus One at the moment however.

I've decided to attempt to place an order through MinarinShop (an intermediate to purchase from Gmarket) for the Crossover 27Q LED-P monitor mentioned on Page 17 of the Overclock.net thread. It seems to have a stand capable of tilt, pivot and height adjustment and has a significant amount of aluminum in the construction so I'm curious how it will fare versus the Achieva.

Edit: I'm guessing the tempered glass is just that, something more resistant to scratching and breaking, nothing more and nothing less..

Pretty much!

Actually, I believe you can force most modern GPUs to handle scaling at all times.

That seems like a safe assumption given that my lowly 9500GT has the option to scale for aspect ratio/fullscreen/no scaling via the Nvidia control panel and, I can choose if I want that take place at the GPU or at the display. I would imagine anything newer for both Nvidia and AMD/ATi would be able to do the same and, do it better as well.

Why would the 9500GT not be able to work with the Shimian or Catleap displays?
The 9500GT has a Dual link DVI connector and is able to display at 2560x1440.
What would cause it not to work?
Maybe there are some 9500GT cards that do not have a Dual Link DVI port?

Does this mean some video cards with a Dual link DVI port and ability to display at 2560x1440 may not work?

The seller has 2 models of the Catleap 27in display
$439.90 comes with speakers, glossy but no glass surface.
$413.90 has no speakers, does this have a glass surface?

Why would the 9500GT not be able to work with the Shimian or Catleap displays?
The 9500GT has a Dual link DVI connector and is able to display at 2560x1440.
What would cause it not to work?
Maybe there are some 9500GT cards that do not have a Dual Link DVI port?

Does this mean some video cards with a Dual link DVI port and ability to display at 2560x1440 may not work?

No idea at all. Just going by one of the compatibility charts posted in one of the auctions. Most cards have variants but those variants are usually based on clock speeds, fans, additional output connections, or all of the above. I would imagine most cards with DVI are dual link as it wouldn't make sense to have them as anything else.

Compatibility chart in English

Going by this chart (not in English) though the 9500GT wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
It shouldn't look much (if at all) different from the pictures in the original review, just a bit more scratch/damage resistant than a standard gloss cover. I'll see about taking pics though, I don't have a proper camera beyond my Nexus One at the moment however.

i had assumed it would be similar to the apple thunderbolt display, with the glass extending to cover the bezels as well. maybe that's not the case though. see how apple shows a continuous reflection over the bezels? the pics of the tempered glass Shimian do the same, though i think they're just artist's renders so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The new $550 achieva has a better dead pixel warranty, so most likely will not have any dead pixels. But you gotta pay over a hundred more for it.

From the OCN thread:
Originally Posted by p33k View Post

I got my wife to translate the A/S info on Achieva's monitors. The monitors have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase, if you don't have proof of purchase then 15 months from manufacture date. You must ship it to them. Their dead pixel policy is good for the first month you have it and they only exchange your product for a new one. qh 270-ipst, qh270-ipsm(bypass) - if they have more than 4 dead pixels and qh 270-ipsb(s),qh 270-ipsb(bypass) - if they have more than 10 dead pixels.

The 550 one is an IPSM model - 10 bit, 1.07 billion colors.

So far, 3 of the cheaper IPSB(S) models reported received and nothing bad reported about them.

BB

Last edited:
Back