Acer's Insane Gaming Laptop Is A Magic Box Of Stupid

I wouldn't call it a laptop either but if you need to be mobile while still having the best, this certainly fits the bill.

I think the curved screen is not useful for a screen that size and the dual power supplies is silly... I think it could be a good 1/3 thinner and lighter without losing much. it'd still be a beast.

I like the idea, It's a portable computer. I could set it on the table for some gaming and then easily put it away and not have it take up a dedicated desk for my computer. I could see this appealing to plenty of people who have small spaces to live in but still want a monster PC. I wouldn't call it a laptop though. It would be great for traveling, Christmas at the in-laws with my portable monster gaming PC that packs easily in a bag would be awesome.

SLI 1080's for 1080p? Why? Unless the Cnet dude is wrong and it's some uber high rez retina screen shit.

Funny but true, I just read this the other day: RIP Bill Moggridge, design father of the laptop

I used to work for a company that had those Grid metal cased laptops everywhere. Small suitcases. This Predator thing reminds me of that, but I bet it doesn't have a magnesium case that would stop a bullet like the Grid's did. Hell one of those Grid Compass laptops survived the Challenger explosion.

That is the godfather of gaming notebooks. It's sooo crazy its crossed over to stupid cool. It's like driving Viper ACR as a daily driver lol.

Great idea. The ergonomics and ID look like shit thought, but clearly a niche product.

nicolas-cage-laughing.gif

This is for that traveling gamer to pack in his checked bag, with plenty of dunnage, and setup in his hotel room for his one to three week trips around the country.

Yikes. You must want that thing to get stolen or destroyed. Nope, that thing goes in the overhead bin.

That said, sweet piece of kit and it would be good for people that want a portable gaming rig(Hotels, deployments, etc).

Would I buy it? Hell no, especially since I fully expect it to be north of $5k, but some will.

Had this been an option instead of the $3k MBP that I purchased for my contracting in Afghanistan back in 2011, I would have seriously considered it.

And suddenly Asus's watercooled laptop monstrosity doesn't actually look like that bad of an idea now that we have this to compare it to.

Pity though that most laptops have specs that are totally out of whack, for example, all of the 1080 SLI laptops I could find come with 1080p Screen (yes, 1080p), while I could find 1060 laptops with 4k screens as options or 1070 laptops with 1080p/120hz screens (the latter of which is the best sweet spot). As you may know, pairing 1080 SLI with a 1080p screen is bloody pointless and it seems to be DESIGNED in such a way that you'll need to hook up an external higher res monitor/TV for it.

Maybe a conspiracy between laptop and monitor/tv manufacturers?

I know a lot of people who are like this, 90% of their job is travel, they don't care to go to a coffee shop and game, what they want is something that is not desktop in size, but with the same power, this would fit the bill. Back when I did pipeline work, this would have really caught my eye really, I know lots of guys who still do that would not blink at dropping 5-6k for one of these.

Something tells me you will have a hard time fitting this in carry on. And I wouldn't trust the TSA to check a $5000 laptop.

Carry on? That laptop doesn't look that big to be honest, especially if you shove all of the unimportant or less delicate things like PSU into the check in luggage.

The only issue would be taking it out of the luggage and putting it onto the X-ray conveyor belt, it'd be hilarious if the laptop can't fit through it, though I highly doubt it.

Dell XPS M2010, does anyone remember that one? It was a 20" laptop that unpacked itself into a desktop -- the detachable keyboard connected via Bluetooth and the display sorta moved upwards. It was a 8kg, 470x405.6x75.3 mm monstrosity. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

And it would promptly "go missing" the first time you checked it in your luggage.

Either that or you would find it busted into a million pieces when you open up your suite case.

I NEVER check electronics when I fly. They come with me in the cabin.

Same here. I don't check in my electronics, unless I don't care about it that much. I carry my laptop and tablet. I check my Bluetooth speakers.

Last time I flew, my carry on bag fit fine into the overhead compartment or under the seat. It was 35 lbs of weight though, so my shoulder didn't like it.

Yikes. You must want that thing to get stolen or destroyed. Nope, that thing goes in the overhead bin.

That said, sweet piece of kit and it would be good for people that want a portable gaming rig(Hotels, deployments, etc).

Would I buy it? Hell no, especially since I fully expect it to be north of $5k, but some will.

Had this been an option instead of the $3k MBP that I purchased for my contracting in Afghanistan back in 2011, I would have seriously considered it.

I deployed back in 2010 to Afghanistan. I went the smaller route. Alienware M11x. I was hoping an Army deployment was going to be somewhat similar to an AF deployment. Where we had desktops in the AF. Nope. Army just had tons of laptops.

Could have at least made the number pad mechanical too. That chiclet style number pad sticks out like a sore thumb.

sadly it has Nvidia chips, hate those things.

But if I was on the road again, I would buy this or a really nice ATI version.

I decided to try to track down the monitor specs since I don't remember seeing them in the article.

Acer Announces World’s First Curved Screen Notebook

. It’s the world’s first notebook to offer a curved 21-inch IPS display (2560 x 1080),

Lol... so it's a 21:9 1080p screen. Um... that's kind of stupid. Even at 21:9, just one 1080 GTX is already overkill. Hell even at 1440p it would be overkill. Why they would pack such a crappy monitor on such a good set of specs is beyond me curved or not, it's still not worth it. My guess is because the actual monitor size is so small (relatively speaking)... but even then it would look better for gaming to have a higher resolution. But if they made the monitor 1440p, they'd need to make the laptop even bulkier I guess.

I decided to try to track down the monitor specs since I don't remember seeing them in the article.

Lol... so it's a 21:9 1080p screen. Um... that's kind of stupid. Even at 21:9, just one 1080 GTX is already overkill. Hell even at 1440p it would be overkill. Why they would pack such a crappy monitor on such a good set of specs is beyond me curved or not, it's still not worth it. My guess is because the actual monitor size is so small (relatively speaking)... but even then it would look better for gaming to have a higher resolution. But if they made the monitor 1440p, they'd need to make the laptop even bulkier I guess.

It's probably designed to be paired up to a 4k monitor. Then you can disconnect and take it with you on short trips, lan parties, etc. The thing has two display ports and an hdmi port.

"Mobile" VR.

I can't wait to bring this thing into a business meeting for notes.

SLI 1080's for 1080p? Why? Unless the Cnet dude is wrong and it's some uber high rez retina screen shit.

Funny but true, I just read this the other day: RIP Bill Moggridge, design father of the laptop

I used to work for a company that had those Grid metal cased laptops everywhere. Small suitcases. This Predator thing reminds me of that, but I bet it doesn't have a magnesium case that would stop a bullet like the Grid's did. Hell one of those Grid Compass laptops survived the Challenger explosion.

Because you aren't actually going to use it as a laptop. Your going to connect it to big screen TVs in your hotel room and your 34" curved screen monitor at home.

Something tells me you will have a hard time fitting this in carry on. And I wouldn't trust the TSA to check a $5000 laptop.

There are weight limits now on many carry-on baggage. Also, many international flights don't allow carry-on over 20 lbs. This may be a deal breaker with everything included like dual power bricks, mice, pads, etc.

There are weight limits now on many carry-on baggage. Also, many international flights don't allow carry-on over 20 lbs. This may be a deal breaker with everything included like dual power bricks, mice, pads, etc.
Power bricks can go in the luggage instead of carry on (unless you plan to use that monster during the wait for the flight, or IN the flight, though that's probably still not enough.

1080 containing laptops are amongst the worst specc'ed laptops on Earth.

Was checking up 10 series laptops, Gigabyte wasn't offering any 1080 laps, and Neither was Asus I think, so I checked out MSI.

1080 laptops are the ONLY one that does not have either 4k or 1080p/120hz monitor upgrades as options, it's a fixed 60hz 1080p.

It's as if the laptop was designed to need an external monitor.

Lack of 4k option, ok, not too major of a loss, since 4k at that screen size is nearly useless.

But lack of 120hz option was a completely WTF move, 1080 is begging for 1080p/120hz.

This is the exact market I was in to a while back.

I wanted a desktop replacement that was as powerful as possible with a large internal LCD, but that I could still fit in a backpack to move around on occasion. If you think about it, this can also just be a very clean AIO style desktop, that you can fold away out of sight when not in use.

For example, lets say you have a minimalist or even traditionalist home, and don't want electronics visible. This you could store in a pull out desk cabinet, and voila you have a full fledged powerful desktop at your fingertips with minimal wiring (just power) that has a built in UPS so you don't lose data on power blips. 5 storage drive space seems wasted though, since just about everyone uses network attached or cloud storage these days.

If they are smart though, they would either sell it with a custom carrying case, or include a pull out handle on it so you can carry it like a suit case, or a shoulder strap.

for 17lb is an impressive feat.
I agree, it could be less specs/weight, and still be the portable desktop it is.
I think they did a good job... how useful it is, is another question.

can't wait till we look 5 yrs from now and laugh at how ridiculous this idea was. oh wait remember the brick cell phones from the 80's/90's?

I've used around 20 "desktop replacement" laptops over the years. The largest was a Clevo x7200 (17", dual GTX 485m, three SSDs, massive cooling, desktop CPU, two daisy-chained PSUs, 45-minute battery life, 13lbs altogether) followed by an AW 18 and the venerable Asus w90vp aka the best gaming laptop ever made. I'm all for having a self-contained gaming platform where you are dealing with minimal cables and peripherals, even if the thing never leaves your desk. There's something to having an integrated, self-contained system that needs nothing else (and could still be attached to an external monitor if so desired).

This thing is, however, absurd.

Back