Acer XB321HK vs LG 32UD99

pippenainteasy

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to pick up a used monitor to replace my dying 43" crossover 4k. I love the size but there aren't many options for direct replacement, and the Asus looks meh with VA panel.

Which one would you rather have? I mostly play games, 4x games or isonetric RPGs. I'm leaning toward the LG because it's a newer panel and doesnt have the flickering issue of the Acer which was common with old AU 4k panels.

I have the XB321HK myself, can't really fault it, although I did go through 3 of them before finding one that didn't have bad bleed. Such is the panel lottery with IPS though, none are immune from it. I've no experienced the flickering issue myself, and mine is a newer production model, made last year, so maybe they resolved it, I don't know.

You should maybe check out the new Alienware OLED 55. At only 4k its a real steal!

I have an XB321HK that I got used. The panel actually started having some issues so it got replaced under warranty a year ago. It still has this occasional flickering where one half of the screen would show some green lines for a moment, but I'm not really bothered by that. Perhaps later they started sourcing some panels where this is fixed if this other owner really has no flickering, but since you're getting a used one, you'll probably have this issue.

But, back to your question, I guess it depends on your gaming needs? Acer covers the range of 30-60 FPS with G-Sync, while LG has 40-60 with its FreeSync. Perhaps the range on the LG can be furthered lowered by editing its EDID settings, check if somebody already tried that.

If you were buying a new one, I'd suggest to wait for some 144Hz model which should be released sooner rather than later.

I'm not aware of any imminent 144Hz 32" 4K monitors... I'm sure we'll get them eventually, but not this year, unless a manufacturer is hiding one up their sleeve and not telling us about it.

A 32" 144Hz panel was on AUO's roadmap a while ago, but nothing has been heard about this for months, and no monitor using it has been announced.

I didn't say it's imminent, but with the 38" 144Hz and 43" 120 Hz (and 144Hz) monitors becoming available, getting a NEW 4K 60Hz monitor now seems like throwing money away.

Well I bought a used lg on Ebay for 450 to check it out.

I ended up choose the LG because it has really good reviews on rtings for image quality and it's a newer display which doesnt have any flicker complaints, otherwise I'd probably go with the older gsync display. Well see. If it sucks I might still go with the acer.

Last edited:
The lg 32ud99 has either a semi glossy or a matte but it's hard transitioning from a glossy ips display as every gray, light blue, or white background has this shimmering, grainy texture to it.

Is the Acer xb321hk matte as well or is it a glossier finish?

The lg 32ud99 has either a semi glossy or a matte but it's hard transitioning from a glossy ips display as every gray, light blue, or white background has this shimmering, grainy texture to it.

Is the Acer xb321hk matte as well or is it a glossier finish?

Matt finish on the XB321HK... it's a nice monitor, providing you get one without bleed... but that applies to any IPS panel.

The one I got originally had quite some bleed around the edges, but the replacement panel they installed is very good in that regard.

I love the monitor. I could see myself replacing it with a 144Hz one perhaps in the far future as I'm not sure if the lower sharpness of the 38" would bother me (since it's 1600p). I use increased DPI on mine, but love how everything is sharp still. And anything larger vertically would be too big for me.

The 32” min led panels will be very expensive - I think the Asus model will be over 3k targeting professionals. I wonder if the FALD models with fewer zones will be gamer focused and less expensive (relatively speaking).

Back