ACER XB270HU - First IPS G-Sync Monitor

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2863...and-g-sync-to-a-high-res-monitor-at-last.html
xb270hu_wp_05-100538366-large.jpg

xb270hu_wp_06-100538363-large.jpg

xb270hu_16-100538364-large.jpg

cool I think it's funny Acer is trying to make a name for themselves after making
PCs that are all in the landfill by now.

That monitor is also listed as TN, so is it TN or IPS I don't know. If it was IPS it would be the AHVA 144hz panels but I have a feeling it might be TN.

That monitor is also listed as TN, so is it TN or IPS I don't know. If it was IPS it would be the AHVA 144hz panels but I have a feeling it might be TN.
yeah, CNET got the model numbers mixed up in their article. But I went to the source.

LOL @63jax @zanardi @general lee how wrong are you?!

I'm almost positive that this is most likely that AUO AHVA (aka IPS) 144Hz panel that they announced back in fall 2014.

I hope they do not jack up the price to stupid levels like they have with the ROG swift, I am not hopeful though I expect this will cost £500- £600+. Probably in a year or two when they are mainstream the prices will come down, ergh so much waiting I just want a good monitor now to replace my 20" 6 year old NEC monitor!!

Look at the actual press release from Acer.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/01/prweb12421775.htm

Notice how the TN one is listed as 1ms response time, and the response time of the IPS screen isn't listed.

It is a 144hz IPS, but it's not going to be 1ms, I bet. If it was, they would have mentioned it.
I think G-Sync has a requirement of 6ms max. So I expect the response rate to be <= 6ms (much like those overclocked 27" 1440p single port monitors that companies like Overlord are selling)

Well they could have easily claimed 1 ms with ULMB similarly to what Eizo does.

I hope it won't cost more than 800$.

Well this sucks. Now I have to sell my 4K G-Sync monitor I've had for 2 months. I wasn't that impressed with 4K anyway.

Well this sucks. Now I have to sell my 4K G-Sync monitor I've had for 2 months. I wasn't that impressed with 4K anyway.

I'm feeling early adopter pain over here too. I bought the 4k Gsync AND and an ROG Swift, and they both ended up being defective and requiring an RMA. I've been waiting on the Asus for like 2 and a half weeks. Seriously considering selling it when it gets back. Yeesh.

Well they could have easily claimed 1 ms with ULMB similarly to what Eizo does.

I hope it won't cost more than 800$.

It'll be around a grand. I really can't see any way in which an IPS screen will sell for 800 when they can't even keep a TN version of it in stock for 800.

The 144hz AHVA m270dan02.3 has the same typ 12ms G2G spec as the 60hz AHVA panels so stated response will probably be between 3-5ms.
There is possibly a similar amount of ghosting at higher refresh rates as the korean monitors.

The 144hz AHVA m270dan02.3 has the same typ 12ms G2G spec as the 60hz AHVA panels so stated response will probably be between 3-5ms.
There is possibly a similar amount of ghosting at higher refresh rates as the korean monitors.

But it might have strobing from ULMB (hopefully) :D

Good old Acer. ;) The monitors in my school 20 years ago were Acer and NEC.

Would Acer really call it an IPS panel if it was using the 144 Hz AHVA panel?

If it really pans out to be a 144 Hz 2560x1440 IPS panel, it's sure to end up quite popular, and probably expensive too. If only it were VA with proper contrast and none of that horrid glow and backlight bleed mess most 1440p IPS panels are these days. :(

Would Acer really call it an IPS panel if it was using the 144 Hz AHVA panel?

If it really pans out to be a 144 Hz 2560x1440 IPS panel, it's sure to end up quite popular, and probably expensive too. If only it were VA with proper contrast and none of that horrid glow and backlight bleed mess most 1440p IPS panels are these days. :(
you do realize that AHVA for all its intent and purpose is essentially IPS, right?

It doesn't matter if it's similar. It's still not IPS. IPS is LG's technology, and AHVA AUO's. Companies shouldn't go around claiming AHVA as IPS.

So, it's not really IPS, then? If it's not IPS, is it at least a step up over TN?

The differences aren't big. AHVA, IPS and PLS are very similar. Still, claiming that PLS or AHVA == IPS is just silly, and not something anyone should be doing on a forum, let alone in an official press release.

So, it's not really IPS, then? If it's not IPS, is it at least a step up over TN?
what looks like an IPS, behaves like an IPS, and tastes like an IPS is essentially an IPS. Sure, neither AHVA or PLS is technically named IPS, but it still could be called IPS. Just like tissues are referred to a kleenex, clorox as bleach. People ask for coke despite being served Pepsi. Or that there are generic drugs based off a brand name with the active ingredients extracted from different sources. Let's not digress.

The differences aren't big. AHVA, IPS and PLS are very similar. Still, claiming that PLS or AHVA == IPS is just silly, and not something anyone should be doing on a forum, let alone in an official press release.

You realize BenQ frequently refers to their AHVA panels as IPS panels, and they own AUO.

For that matter, who cares? They perform the same; it's comparatively more silly for you to argue a minuscule detail.

lol at all the hurt peeps who bought those defective Asus gsync monitors claiming this is also a TN panel, owned.

AHVA panels are AUO's version of IPS, just as Samsung's version is called PLS.

IPS = LG
PLS = Samsung
AHVA = AUO

Coca Cola
Pepsi Cola
RC Cola

Last edited:
You realize BenQ frequently refers to their AHVA panels as IPS panels, and they own AUO.

For that matter, who cares? They perform the same; it's comparatively more silly for you to argue a minuscule detail.

Jesus. Where exactly do they refer AHVA as IPS? Do you think it's just fine by LG that their technology is used when talking about a competitor product? It doesn't matter to me personally, but as long as we're trying to be accurate it's not the same to just be calling everything TFT MONITORS CAUSE THEIR THE SAME LOLZ...

Jesus. Where exactly do they refer AHVA as IPS? Do you think it's just fine by LG that their technology is used when talking about a competitor product? It doesn't matter to me personally, but as long as we're trying to be accurate it's not the same to just be calling everything TFT MONITORS CAUSE THEIR THE SAME LOLZ...

http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl2710pt/
http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/bl3201pt/
http://www.benq.us/product/LCD/GW2765HT

Oh gee, I dunno, maybe all of their AHVA monitors?

It's called localizing a product to the masses.

For users such as this who have no idea what AHVA is:

Last edited:
I get why you'd want to call it IPS since it's popularized, but I don't see why LG would let such a thing happen, unless they have some sort of licensing agreement.

Where's the 4k version ;)

Great to see some high refresh rate IPS screens!

I understand the need for transparency when you're marketing your product for something it is not. At the very least it says who's supplying the panels. That said, I don't blame the manufacturers for riding the IPS bandwagon given its popularity. For those who know, the tech is too similar for different names anyway.

I was on the fence about the Swift for my new system but it looks like I'll pick up a placeholder until I can get some more info on this. Really, having options has never been bad for consumers. Bring on the competition please!

lol at all the hurt peeps who bought those defective Asus gsync monitors claiming this is also a TN panel, owned.

Except we don't know anything about it yet. In order to get good enough pixel response time it might need heavy processing like the Eizo FG2421 and thus suffer from a non-negligible input lag. And while I don't really use ULMB much it'd still be interesting if they implemented it too.

Anyway if it's really good I'll sell my basically flawless Swift and get it, I don't really care if it costs me as long as it's truly worth it. Enjoying my Swift till then :)

I am stoked for this and see a purchase in my Q1 future. Still, they were a 30" 1600p option away from hitting this out of the park.:p

Back