Acer X27 4k 144hz HDR Gsync

I want to take the time to thank l88bastard and Vega.

I'm not looking to drop 2 grand on a display unless it can be used to sit back and watch movies on with the Mrs. (OLED), but my HP Omen X 17 inch laptop's 120hz Gsync screen has definitely peaked my interest in LCD based displays again. Its not anywhere near on par with something like this or an OLED TV but it still has a wonderful picture and the word on Gsync is by far the truth.

Either way you guys have given us another glimpse at the cutting edge of gaming monitors. In due time there will be better and far improved displays of this caliber and eventually all this tech does find it's way down in price far down the line.

Needless to say, fan and haloing aside this display sounds truly amazing and I appreciate the time you guys have taken into sharing your experiences with us.

2nd that -- thank you both very much!

2nd that -- thank you both very much!

I hope you all enjoyed it. However, I will not be posting here ever again. I may lurk, but will never participate again as this site believes in censoring the voices that they do not agree with.

Maybe it's too small for you, but not all of us. It remains me favorite size even at 4k.

Actually, if you've followed this very subject, 27" 4K Monitors for the past handful of years like I have, we have, then you would know that the general dialog has been, against it. 27" Is too small for 4K.

Now, you are more than welcome to go out and buy you a 4K 24" or 27" monitor that costs $2,000 dollars or whatever but you are a minority just so we are clear.

Yes i want Micro LED today before tomorrow but what i fear 2 things :-

1) We won't see MicroLED (self-emitting) for 35'' ultrawide and see it only for 27'' and 32'' flat panel .

2) If this happens for 35'' ultrawide monitor , yes it'll be better than current FALD and Mini LED but may be we won't see a new display with these features again ( G-sync , 144hz and HDR 1000 nits ) .

What is the benefit of Micro LED without ( 35'' ultrawide , G-sync , 144hz and HDR 1000 nits ) ?

So doing more testing, I think the "Auto black level" setting may apply only to the HDMI port.

So right now these are the preferred modes:

1. Desktop + SDR games = 120 Hz RGB FULL 8-Bit. (You really can't use 144 Hz 4:2:2 10-bit on the desktop due to the apparent reduced chroma, and "limited" dynamic range means your SDR games blacks will be crushed.) *does not affect HDR mode.
2. Demanding HDR games mainly below 98 FPS = 98 Hz RGB FULL 10-bit.
3. Less demanding HDR games in which you can routinely run over 98 FPS = 144 Hz 4:2:2 10-bit. For whatever reason in HDR; blacks aren't crushed anymore and it acts like dynamic range = full, even though all YCbCr is "limited".

I can afford this monitor but I wont buy it. I want a larger monitor. 27" doesn't cut it for me. I'll wait. A thank you to Vega and I88bastard for their reviews and input about this monitor.

A few words regarding the comparisons to the FW900.

With HDR and high refresh rate 4K, the x27 certainly brings something new and awesome into the PC space.

As to the FW900, though many years past when it was a first choice for real estate and no HDR, it still has its charms (emissive, motion, multiscan, etc.).

As a value proposition, expensive, but my original lasted over 9 years. I can't really complain...

My local Microcenter went from listing the Asus PG27UQ for a June 25th release date to now sold out but show 5 Acer X27's in stock. Really wanted to get the PG27UQ but If it still lists as sold out by the weekend then I'll get an X27 instead.

My local Microcenter went from listing the Asus PG27UQ for a June 25th release date to now sold out but show 5 Acer X27's in stock. Really wanted to get the PG27UQ but If it still lists as sold out by the weekend then I'll get an X27 instead.
Newegg is also now saying July 13 for the PG27UQ when it said June 22 when preorders went live.

If you ever see that stock is available even before the preorder date, it means they have some there you just need to ask.

This guy's feedback was really interesting to read since he shows how poorly chosen camera settings can make things like haloing look a lot worse than they are in reality.

One thing he got wrong is the "spacer" between the display and monitor arm only mounts 1 way unless you cut some metal off of it to make it fit. If you want airflow between the spacer and the display you can drill some holes in the flat back panel, but so far I haven't seen it as a major issue, the fan doesn't get extremely loud, but does sound kind of like the old north bridge fans back in the day on motherboards.

There are a few X27's at my local Microcenter. I'm tempted to pick one up this weekend and see for myself what these monitors are about.

Battle Royale:
20180616_135111.jpg

So after testing the ASUS versus the Acer, it is pretty clear that NVIDIA did basically all of the firmware on these displays. Almost every OSD item is identical, with slightly changed names for some of them. Both panels are pixel perfect and have no flaws. AUOptronics appears to have stepped up their game. Both displays operate in the same manner, have identical picture qualities, both come with calibration reports, both have the same bandwidth, both have the same resolution and color settings, both have the same AR film, both have identical motion clarity numbers etc. Really the only noticeable differences are the monitor case (housing), the fan setup and the stand.
The stand is nicer on the Acer. Look, feel and quality. I also prefer the simpler/more professional look of the Acer housing.
While I stated in my Acer review the OSD joystick on the Acer felt kinda flimsy, it is downright terrible on the ASUS. I click up and down in the menu and the joystick gets stuck up or down and I have to manually center it. It also sometimes makes an odd clicking sound. Basically I don't think the joystick is set into its mount properly. Something they should have checked before packaging it up and can only be fixed if you take the monitor apart. The OSD on both monitors basically function the same and one isn't better than the other.
The last discriminator is the fan. ASUS:
20180616_131054.jpg

20180616_131140.jpg

Acer:
thumbnail_20180616_141539.jpg

The Acer is noticeable quieter. The Acer fan spins slower and is larger and has a larger heatsink. The ASUS fan is smaller, spins faster and makes a higher frequency sound that is more noticeable. The Acer's fan is more of a lower frequency/moving air sound.
The Acer stays on my desk and the ASUS boxed up for return. Please let me know if you have any questions about the differences between the two!

Thanks for that Vega. Guess there's no need to wait for the Asus. I have reserved an X27 from Microcenter now.

thx. thats good because the acer also looks more sexy. dont like the newer asus design. plz give us some more pictures from some games. hdr and sdr.

Seems like ASUS spent all their time on RGB bollocks instead of how to make the display better. Thanks for comparing them Vega! I'm surprised the joystick is bad because the one on my old ASUS PG278Q works perfectly and is really nice to use.

Seems like ASUS spent all their time on RGB bollocks instead of how to make the display better. Thanks for comparing them Vega! I'm surprised the joystick is bad because the one on my old ASUS PG278Q works perfectly and is really nice to use.

Ya I was surprised too. I never had any issues with the joysticks on any of the probably 10+ ASUS displays I've had in the past. Sucks to get a dud on a 2 grand monitor.

I've tried to take some pictures of the display in HDR but it just won't photograph and come across properly. Definitely one of those "in-person" type experiences. Just let me say you won't be disappointed with the bright scene HDR on this display.

Ya I was surprised too. I never had any issues with the joysticks on any of the probably 10+ ASUS displays I've had in the past. Sucks to get a dud on a 2 grand monitor.

I've tried to take some pictures of the display in HDR but it just won't photograph and come across properly. Definitely one of those "in-person" type experiences. Just let me say you won't be disappointed with the bright scene HDR on this display.

How bright does it feel? My Samsung TV in HDR can be pretty damn bright so I am not sure if I could deal with that kind of brightness closer.

Congrats , we'll see your review . HDR 1000 nits / black levels / HDR and SDR games ?

I don't really have much input to add on to everything that has already been said about the monitor. For bright HDR scenes it definitely can go toe to toe with OLED, maybe even be better than OLED to some users since it can hit the full 1000 nits instead of ~700 like OLED. I guess this would apply to those who use their PC in a really bright room. For dark scenes I definitely notice the blooming but apart from worst case scenarios like Resident Evil 7, it's actually pretty tolerable without insane FALD lag or anything. For SDR mode however this thing works wonders for me. I use my monitor at a relatively low brightness level (100-120 nits), and at that brightness level there is practically zero noticeable blooming. I get good blacks without any of that awful IPS glow that's on the edge-lit 1440p monitors, no idea how people don't find that distracting at all. Here's a quick measurement from an i1 Display Pro using DisplayCAL. No idea if this is really accurate or not but looking at my X27 with the naked eye I can easily see that it surpasses my LG 32GK850G VA panel when it comes to black depth.

X27 Default.png

Conclusion

The best you can get with RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 is 4K 120 Hz with 8 bpc color depth, or 4K 98 Hz with 10 bpc color depth (HDR).

I wonder if Acer X35 will support 3440x1440 4:4:4 10 bpc color depth at 144hz and 200hz or not (144hz only) ?

I wonder if Acer X35 will support 3440x1440 4:4:4 10 bpc color depth at 144hz and 200hz or not (144hz only) ?

It almost doesn't matter because there's 0 chance it will have a panel fast enough to justify 200hz, no other VA display I've ever seen does. The existing "200hz" VA Ultrawides are best run at 120hz. Which I mean is totally fine as long as it's got that sweet sweet VA contrast and hopefully at least decent dark transition times.

Conclusion

The best you can get with RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 is 4K 120 Hz with 8 bpc color depth, or 4K 98 Hz with 10 bpc color depth (HDR).

98 Hz is more than enough at this point. I think I topped out around 80 FPS when I was testing my PG27UQ with Far Cry 5. That is still well within optimal G-Sync range. 3440x1440 should be able to reach 120 Hz on DP 1.4, and it would be more important at that resolution, being a little more than half the pixels of 4K. If it's a VA panel then you don't want to go higher than 100-120 Hz anyway as the pixels are not fast enough.

If anyone in SoCal bought one, and then panel is good, but is second guessing their poor financial decision before sending it back... please PM me first. I am looking to make the same poor financial decision. :)

If anyone in SoCal bought one, and then panel is good, but is second guessing their poor financial decision before sending it back... please PM me first. I am looking to make the same poor financial decision. :)

Dude if you're in socal just pick one up from Microcenter Tustin. Easy returns if you get a dud. Last I check they had 2 more in stock.

So I had an opportunity to play with one of these puppies over the weekend, but ultimately decided to return it. Basic rundown of my thoughts:

+ No dead/stuck pixels, or "dirt" under the screen like other previous Asus/Acer monitors. But as seen with other users here, my G-SYNC sticker wasn't on right. It was almost completely diagonal. Not a big deal.
+ The picture quality is probably the best available in the gaming monitor space. But those that are saying that its close to or as good as modern day OLED are over exaggerating in my opinion.
+ There is some minor halo'ing in very dark scenes, but overall the FALD is shockingly very quick and responsive. Good news for a gaming monitor.
+ The monitor gets quite bright for HDR and the colors don't appear washed out.
- In my opinion 4K is absolutely not worth it at this screen size. In fact, I would've much rather it had been 2560x1440p so that I could achieve the [overclocked] 144Hz with my single 1080 Ti without butchering graphics settings.
- The fan...its much louder than I anticipated and I hear it over my PC quite easily. Obviously not a problem if you wear headphones or have desktop speakers playing, but still a major disappointment.

Overall, its a good monitor and if they somehow get a quieter fan in there I'd say its a great monitor. But once you factor in the price, its a great monitor at an unfortunate price point. If they sold a 1440p version for $1200-1400 I'd say that it would be THE monitor to get, but 4K on a 27" at $2000 - I really question its value.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FtMyCJmeXHBetq%2Fgiphy.gif

It isn't a good monitor. Good monitors don't have LOUD FANS, and good monitors don't run at an inappropriate resolution for their size. It's straight up a bad design. Complete miscalculation on the manufacturers' part.

Dude if you're in socal just pick one up from Microcenter Tustin. Easy returns if you get a dud. Last I check they had 2 more in stock.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check this weekend if they're still there. During the week after work it's like an hour and a half one way from Santa Monica. LA traffic really sucks.

View attachment 83173

It isn't a good monitor. Good monitors don't have LOUD FANS, and good monitors don't run at an inappropriate resolution for their size. It's straight up a bad design. Complete miscalculation on the manufacturers' part.
I guess that means phones should be 500x240 resolution since 100 ppi is optimal, am I right?

I would buy this monitor except for the fact that I'm 100% sure I'd end up replacing it over the next year, if not with the 35" UW VA, then with the 32" version, or with a 120hz LG OLED, and while $2K isn't too much for a monitor it is too much for one that I'll only want to keep for 1 year max.

I'm waiting on more impressions/reviews of both the Acer and ASUS model to see which one has the best quality control. So far they seem similar. There's also speculation going around that we might get MiniLed gaming monitors sooner than we thought but who really knows. If these monitors were just a bit cheaper like say, $1799, I probably would have one by now but that $2K price point is making me think really hard about if I should go through with getting one. Even though the price might be too high for these monitors they are still the best you can get for gaming and since I'm starving for a new monitor I'm very tempted to get one.

34" ultrawides have terrible picture quality compared to this.

Just in general. 3440x1440 is a fairly low resolution, ~110ppi all considering the 34/35 inchers. Granted the FALD and HDR is going to help the image quality of 35" 3440x1440 a lot, but there is only so much you can do with such a large size and smaller resolution. Also, VA pixel speeds max out the quickest so I'm not sure how 200 Hz isn't going to be a gimmick.

Back