Acer X243Wbd 24" - thoughts, comments, reviews?

It has a TN panel, not a very good monitor for graphic design. Because they use 6bit colors with dithering to simulate true colors (8bit , 16.7Million), therefore it has a limited color gamut along with few other drawbacks like color banding and dithering noise. Viewing angles are also restricted; you’d see a color shift on the top and bottom part of the monitor even when looking at it directly.

For color intensive work IPS panels are recommended, however they cost more than twice a regular TN LCD monitor (somewhere around $600 or more for a 24”).
There are plenty of threads in this forum and on the internet discussing the strengths and weaknesses of different panel types.

Having said that, TN panels are used by many people (including me), and they are good for non color intensive general work, gaming and movies. It all depends on how important the color accuracy is to you.

Cool.

Has anyone specifically used this monitor or have thoughts on it?

hellova deal, with the exception of glossy or not, all 24" TN panel screens will look pretty close. This price makes it worth getting, not a whole lot cheaper than Newegg but for a B&M store $250 out the door for a LCD is such a deal. The color gamuit may or may not be an issue for graphic design. I believe it depends on what exactly you're working on graphics wise. TN's are far from bad color wise, especially if you know the limitation you can still get great results for any Photoshop stuff you do.

I think the bottom line is for this price you can't go wrong. I might have to get one of these, I LOVE my Trintron to death but want something bigger and wide screen too :)

Back