Acer Releases Rugged Chromebook C771

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Acer has released the new Chromebook 11 C771, an 11.6" laptop rated to resist drops up to 4 feet and 132 pounds of downward force ,and a spill-resistant keyboard that reroutes any liquids away from the laptop's internal components. Only the entry-level models are available for now, with a Celeron 3855U processor, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 1,366x768 IPS screen for $280. There is also a C771T model which comes with a touch screen display for $330. Acer plans to release higher-priced versions later this year with Core i3 and i5 Skylake based processors.

Pretty cool little laptop. I've not used a Chromebook before, but something like this tough enough to be tossed in the backseat makes it tempting. Battery life is rated at 12 hours for the touchscreen model, and 13 for the non-touch. I wonder if the later released i5 and i3 versions will ship with Windows as an option, if not it could be a great platform to put Linux on in my opinion.

The notebook supports up to 4GB of RAM and features a microSD card slot, a USB 3.1 Type C port, two USB 3.0 ports, and HDMI and 3.5mm audio jacks. The notebook also has a 720p HDR webcam, stereo speakers, and 802.11ac WiFi.

I've noticed a lot more dual boot devices with android/w10 lately so it could be a possibility.

Statcounter gave ChromeOS a laughable 0.46% share last month. If it weren't for Google holding Android and OHA membership over the heads of OEMs to "encourage" them to support ChromeOS I don't think there would be so many Chromebooks. The market is just abysmally small.

Statcounter gave ChromeOS a laughable 0.46% share last month. If it weren't for Google holding Android and OHA membership over the heads of OEMs to "encourage" them to support ChromeOS I don't think there would be so many Chromebooks. The market is just abysmally small.

There are how many years of non-chromebooks out there, and Chromebooks have only been available since 2011; they only shipped with decent processors in 2012. They also clearly don't solve everyone's computing needs, so I they're not going to all of a sudden get a huge market share. They did outsell (or outship anyway) Apple laptops in Q1 2016, so they have a decent amount of sales. A lot of them are used in school environments where they may be internet restricted and not hitting statcounter pages, too. I've bought three (four including a chromebox as a SFF windows box), and they're pretty good for what they are: low cost, low frills, reasonably performant chrome browsers; also if you want to run other operating systems, it's not too hard.

Back