Acer Predator Z35P Announced. VA Panel, 35", 100Hz, G-Sync. Same as HP Omen X 35.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I literally just returned my Predator X34 today because the backlight bleed on that display was very distracting and was going to order the HP Omen X 35 because in had a VA panel instead of a IPS panel like the X34 when this gets announced all of a sudden. No release date set yet. "Starts" at $1,099. If this thing is $1,099 and they undercut the Omen with that price i'll definitely wait for this one; at least until more info drops.

Screen: 35" UW-QHD (3440 x 1440)

Panel Technology: Vertical Alignment (VA)

Inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI

Response Time: 4 ms

Brightness: 300 Nit

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.CZ1AA.P01

HXgoaGw.jpg

Technical Information

Number of Screens 1
Screen Size 35"
Screen Mode UW-QHD
Response Time 4 ms
Aspect Ratio 21:9
Backlight Technology LED
Panel Technology Vertical Alignment (VA)
Tilt Angle -4°to35°
Swivel Angle 20°
Maximum Adjustable Height 5.12"
Video

Maximum Resolution 3440 x 1440
Standard Refresh Rate 100 Hz
Color Supported 16.7 Million Colors
Contrast Ratio 2500:1
Brightness 300 Nit
Tearing Prevention Technology NVIDIA G-SYNC™
Audio

Speakers Yes
Interfaces/Ports

HDMI Yes
USB Yes
DisplayPort Yes
Power Description

Operating Power Consumption (Energy Star) 65 W
Standby Power Consumption 470 mW
Off-Mode Power Consumption 420 mW
Physical Characteristics

Height 15.2"
Width 33.2"
Depth 5.3"
Height with Stand 22.80"
Width with Stand 33.24"
Depth with Stand 12.16"
Weight (Approximate) 20.72 lb
Weight with Stand (Approximate) 27.56 lb
Miscellaneous

Package Contents
  • Predator Z35 Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • 1 x Displayport Cable
  • 1 x HDMI Cable
  • Power Cord
  • 1 x USB 3.0 Cable
Environmental Certification MPR II
Warranty

Warranty Limited Warranty agreement applies.

Sounds pretty sick especially with a 120hz overclock.

What kind of pros and cons are we looking at for VA vs IPS? I know that VA doesn't have IPS glow and has better contrast ratios. I though VA panels were much slower though for gaming or is that resolved with these panels?

Sounds pretty sick especially with a 120hz overclock.

What kind of pros and cons are we looking at for VA vs IPS? I know that VA doesn't have IPS glow and has better contrast ratios. I though VA panels were much slower though for gaming or is that resolved with these panels?

Dark transitions aside, the AUO VA panels actually have faster response times than the LG IPS.

TFTcentral review, or didnt happen.

why the hell offer 120Hz overclock and not put a strobing backlight?

why cant they just hurry up and make some that are 4k 100hz.

i'm ready to ditch my X34, tired of all the console ports not displaying 21:9

The higher overclock is nice compared to the X34.

Is that the same gargantuan stand? I thought I saw a modified version for the X27 that easts less desk space.

hmmm interesting. In the market for a gsync panel to replace my U3415w. I have been thinking the X34 but haven't been solid on it with all the backlight issues. I experience plenty of that with the Dell right now and just haven't filed a ticket to get a different one. Upper left corner is terrible.

To be honest I've kinda been lingering waiting to see if there are any 38" gsync monitors in the pipeline.

Last edited:
hmmm interesting. In the market for a gsync panel to replace my U3415w. I have been thinking the X34 but haven't been solid on it with all the backlight issues. I experience plenty of that with the Dell right now and just haven't filed a ticket to get a different one. Upper left corner is terrible.

To be honest I've kinda been lingering waiting to see if there are any 38" gsync monitors in the pipeline.

You're going to be waiting a long time for a 38" G-sync panel. Just get what you want now and later on you can upgrade. I had the X34 for one day before I returned it. No backlight bleed to speak of, but deal-breaking backlight glow. Bought the AOC Agon and have 0 backlight glow/bleed. I could have gone through 20 Acers and I would have gotten the same issue as the If you play dark games like Alien Isolation, Outlast, or Outlast 2... be prepared to see this:

bYDO3Uu.jpg

QUbpM6F.jpg

You're going to be waiting a long time for a 38" G-sync panel. Just get what you want now and later on you can upgrade. I had the X34 for one day before I returned it. No backlight bleed to speak of, but deal-breaking backlight glow. Bought the AOC Agon and have 0 backlight glow/bleed. I could have gone through 20 Acers and I would have gotten the same issue as the If you play dark games like Alien Isolation, Outlast, or Outlast 2... be prepared to see this:
My Dell looks just like that although probably a bit worse in the upper left corner. The other corners shift if you move the upper left really doesn't.

38" or bust.

Right! lol After playing games on my 34" for about a year now I want more. Of course mine is set back on my desk and I sit about 5' (Racing) 3' (Everything else) many people have their monitors closer. So I have an excuse for wanting the 38" lol

there's been so many complaints about the omen why would this using the same panel be any better ?

there's been so many complaints about the omen why would this using the same panel be any better ?

define omen complaints?
Omen has been highly praised by Vega, probably the person that has spent more money on gaming monitors [H]ere. as long as you know what you are buying ( a VA panel without strobing backlight) , Omen is a great product.

z35p is just another roll of the dice on the same panel, with the hope for a better end product.

...just another roll of the dice on the same panel, with the hope for a better end product.

This is what keeps many of us firmly on the fence and especially when we start getting into four figure territory. The split market on "-sync" techs doesn't help the scene, either.

This is what keeps many of us firmly on the fence and especially when we start getting into four figure territory. The split market on "-sync" techs doesn't help the scene, either.

This is the reason why hardware review sites exist, and why we are [H]ere sharing our knowledge and opinions on the product. to get the most from our four figure investment

8bit panel. With only 300Nits, seems like it does not support HDR as well.

I would almost suggest ignoring HDR until all of the dust settles. Methinks that ultimately the "true" HDR implementation will be the HDR brightness/contrast capable displays + Rec .2020 color gamut. Until then, I wouldn't fret over it.

We have one (the brightness) but not the other (Rec .2020).

I need a 15 foot cable for the z35p..

anyone have any luck with a cable for this resolution and refresh rate? 3440x1440 at 120 hz

monitor specs say connector is displayport 1.4, my 1080 Ti has DP 1.4, but where do I buy the cables? and a 15 foot one at that..

the 34" predator thread has a few cable suggestions in basically the same problem. the monoprice has less than half the diameter of the DVIgear...

all i want is 30-32" 4k with gsync. tired of 21:9 and lack of support.

Lack of official support sure.But so far I haven't played any game where the community hasnt added support themselves it if the developers wont.

I have an x34, is this a worthy upgrade??
only reviews will tell. 120hz without LMB on a VA panel should have more blur than a 100Hz IPS. But it is bigger, does not have BLB and has better contrast. The X34 can be used for professional work, which VA gamma shift does not allow.

for those buying a new display, the z35p is a good target. for those that already own a X34,its mostly a sidegrade

only reviews will tell. 120hz without LMB on a VA panel should have more blur than a 100Hz IPS. But it is bigger, does not have BLB and has better contrast. The X34 can be used for professional work, which VA gamma shift does not allow.

for those buying a new display, the z35p is a good target. for those that already own a X34,its mostly a sidegrade

Not really. If you look at TFTCentral's review of the AG352UCG and X34A you'll see that the VA panel actually has faster response times for the majority of transitions. Of course black transitions are still a problem.

Lack of official support sure.But so far I haven't played any game where the community hasnt added support themselves it if the developers wont.

yeah but sometimes it just doesnt look right, screws up the UI, etc. it's especially bad with anything that is a PORT....which is like...A LOT of games these days.

don't get me wrong, i freaking love this monitor, i just get tired of having to apply fixes and workarounds to get the game looking "ok" but not perfect.

yeah but sometimes it just doesnt look right, screws up the UI, etc. it's especially bad with anything that is a PORT....which is like...A LOT of games these days.

don't get me wrong, i freaking love this monitor, i just get tired of having to apply fixes and workarounds to get the game looking "ok" but not perfect.

Fair enough. Applying a fix once or twice is fine but I can see it becoming annoying after a while. For most of us I'm sure this is just a placeholder until we get 30+ inch 4k 144hz monitors.

Not really. If you look at TFTCentral's review of the AG352UCG and X34A you'll see that the VA panel actually has faster response times for the majority of transitions.

When i first saw your post my first reaction was to be rude and remember you that i said less blur, not faster response times. but that i had the nagging feeling that you were pulling numbers out of your memory, not actually comparing reviews:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_agon_ag352ucg.htm#detailed_response

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm#pursuit

A few points to remember:

Agon 35 response times:
response_7.png

X34 response times:
response_6.png

Agon 35 RTC Overshoot:
response_8.png

X34 RTC overshoot:
response_4.png

the previous table do not tell the whole history. Pursuit camera images do.

Agon 35:
pursuit.jpg

X34:
pursuit.jpg

One would have to be legally blind to state that the Agon 35 has less blur.
Just to add salt to the wound, Omen 35:
ufo.jpg

Well doesnt less blur usually result from faster response times??? Anyways those pursuit camera shots show that the X34 does indeed have less blur though but come on at the end of the day they are both horrible when compared to a strobed monitor or even sample and hold oled.

So torn between the X34 which is on sale at microcenter for $999 or waiting for my pre order for the z35p ...

I guess I should try them both.. ?

So torn between the X34 which is on sale at microcenter for $999 or waiting for my pre order for the z35p ...

I guess I should try them both.. ?

the Z35p has ZERO reviews, I consider insane to spend 4 figures on a monitor without reviews.

Back