Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync

Newegg is just teasing me at this point. I wish other sites had stock of this thing... I am seeing reviews popping up today, and they are all good.

tJdYNFuxvnfluxdnDf8Gl9j0xlEEQakzyL0Pe08LjhA

No banding or bleeding issues.

Edit: better pic

Last edited:
Never used it before. What do i need to know about that site?

It keeps track of the availability of the product from various vendors like Newegg and Amazon and you can even set it to alert you once it goes in stock/pre order. Of course it may not be super quick about alerting you but so far I have used it to buy my gamecube controller adapters, gtx 970's and 980 ti and it has worked for me very well every time so far.

It keeps track of the availability of the product from various vendors like Newegg and Amazon and you can even set it to alert you once it goes in stock/pre order. Of course it may not be super quick about alerting you but so far I have used it to buy my gamecube controller adapters, gtx 970's and 980 ti and it has worked for me very well every time so far.

Ok I'll check it out today.

Instead of electrical tape, I wonder if I should just (double) mask off the screen and rest of the bezel, and spray a nice flat black over the logo.

I know, I'm getting a bit obsessive.

Maybe slightly off topic, is there a nowinstock for just the X34 predator? The only one I have been able to find is a generic "all Acer Monitors" one here: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/monitors/acer/

I want to setup notifications for only the X34, how would I do that?

Just got mine in. Some quick thoughts:

1. My version seems to be a bit better than the CK Free-sync version I tested.
2. Blue banding firmware fix confirmed applied.
3. 100 Hz white background at 100% brightness; there is a slight electronics buzz but I can only hear it with my ear a few inches away from the panel. (I get regular hearing tests and my hearing is good). Non-issue.
4. I'll leave the panel on for a handful of hours at 100% brightness to get it warmed up/settled before making any comments on BLB/IPS glow.
5. While the smoothness/motion blur is OK at 100 Hz, noticeable decrease from the 144 Hz TN Swift.
6. I really like the solid and simple aluminum stand and riser.
7. 100 Hz is the highest you can go. Doing custom timings in both overclock and non-overclock mode does not allow 101 Hz.

Thanks for the update Vega!

Hope the panel passes... would be a good sign that they got Q/C sorted before shipping to the States.

3. 100 Hz white background at 100% brightness; there is a slight electronics buzz but I can only hear it with my ear a few inches away from the panel. (I get regular hearing tests and my hearing is good). Non-issue.
4. I'll leave the panel on for a handful of hours at 100% brightness to get it warmed up/settled before making any comments on BLB/IPS glow.
5. While the smoothness/motion blur is OK at 100 Hz, noticeable decrease from the 144 Hz TN Swift.
7. 100 Hz is the highest you can go. Doing custom timings in both overclock and non-overclock mode does not allow 101 Hz.

Looking forward to your more comprehensive observations, fingers crossed it gets the Vega tick of approval! :cool:

Thanks for the info vega. So in your opinion is this panel worth the money?

Any update Vega? Interested to know whether your unit also suffers from backlight issues when resuming from sleep.

For those that are interested, I've written a comparison between the TN Swift and the X34. I've located it in my build thread so that I don't spam a large write up in multiple locations.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/...copper-tube-gaming-system/60_20#post_24519554

Interesting thoughts, thanks for the write up. Seems to me that the X34 is a pretty good choice unless you are a competitive FPS player that requires the absolute highest motion clarity. Ironically I would have bought the Swift TN when it first released if it wasn't for the unnecessarily aggressive AG coating that just ruins image quality.

Edit: the one thing that worries me is whether the issue with the backlight not engaging properly when resuming from sleep is a symptom of a more critical issue that will only manifest after substantial use.

I agree the AG coating is the PG278Q's Achilles heel. Still, Vegas' comparison is a reminder that the 8bit TN panel in the Swift is actually damn good when it comes to color.

Gahhh any updates on when more of these 100hz UNICORNS will be available? And could they make the model numbers anymore confusing for us to find the "right one" and not the crap 75hz & 60hz options?

Symphony in...

LL

Amazing image...

I'm torn. Your review states some amazing stuff but at the same time, the brightness, color vibrancy and refresh state points toward 1440p 16:9 144hz monitors... ugghhh hard choices.

Symphony in...

LL

That's a cool shot Vega. So I have a simple question. Do you think me coming from one of the Korean panels that I've been running for a couple of years now at 120HZ (a catleap OC'd to 120HZ) will be a happy move for me to this panel? Reason I ask is because as we all know what your used to and your level of expectation will really determine what makes you happy with what you buy. Meaning, in your case you've seen nirvana with your gorgeuos OLED so it's really hard to please you a this point and I totally get it. That said, I've never had a display of that caliber in front of my face so I'm hoping this move to the predator with this nice res, screen size and motion clarity at 100HZ with Gysnc makes me feel like it was money well spent. Get what I'm saying? Is this a good move for me? Or should I just go with the Asus 144/165HZ thats coming out at my same 1440P res that I've been with? Gah these choices suck, always a compromise.

Is the motion clarity on that predator at 100HZ similar to what I've been using at 120HZ? Better/worse?

That's a cool shot Vega. So I have a simple question. Do you think me coming from one of the Korean panels that I've been running for a couple of years now at 120HZ (a catleap OC'd to 120HZ) will be a happy move for me to this panel? Reason I ask is because as we all know what your used to and your level of expectation will really determine what makes you happy with what you buy. Meaning, in your case you've seen nirvana with your gorgeuos OLED so it's really hard to please you a this point and I totally get it. That said, I've never had a display of that caliber in front of my face so I'm hoping this move to the predator with this nice res, screen size and motion clarity at 100HZ with Gysnc makes me feel like it was money well spent. Get what I'm saying? Is this a good move for me? Or should I just go with the Asus 144/165HZ thats coming out at my same 1440P res that I've been with? Gah these choices suck, always a compromise.

Is the motion clarity on that predator at 100HZ similar to what I've been using at 120HZ? Better/worse?

the overclockable korean panels don't have overdrive, so pretty much any IPS with overdrive will have less motion blur than a korean panel running 120 Hz.

edit: according to the overclock.net thread and tftcentral's panel database, the catleap's panel (LM270WQ1) has a 14 ms response time (might be b2b not g2g, doesn't really matter as either way the predator's is lower) so the predator should have significantly less motion blur.

Last edited:
the overclockable korean panels don't have overdrive, so pretty much any IPS with overdrive will have less motion blur than a korean panel running 120 Hz.

edit: according to the overclock.net thread and tftcentral's panel database, the catleap's panel (LM270WQ1) has a 14 ms response time (might be b2b not g2g, doesn't really matter as either way the predator's is lower) so the predator should have significantly less motion blur.

Appreciate the info there. So if I'm reading you correctly, you're saying the predator should be a decent upgrade in motion clarity and responsiveness over what I've been using. Of course the higher res and 21:9 aspect ratio is just icing on the cake. Ok this is the kind of info i was looking for, thanks man.

The brightness is kind of disappointing. I like a fairly bright screen and in most of those shots the Swift picture is much more to my liking.

The brightness is kind of disappointing. I like a fairly bright screen and in most of those shots the Swift picture is much more to my liking.

Ya tbh I was suprised to see that as well. Although I think that's only an issue because we see them side by side in his pictures. I bet looking at it on your desk in a normally lit room it will be bright enough.

For those that are interested, I've written a comparison between the TN Swift and the X34. I've located it in my build thread so that I don't spam a large write up in multiple locations.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/...copper-tube-gaming-system/60_20#post_24519554

That was a really good review. I'd thought the XB270HU had made the Swift obsolete, but it sounds like it's not so clear cut.

Unfortunately my gaming hobby is split mainly between FPS (BF4, looking forward to the Doom remake next year, etc.) and Flight Sims (DCS and BoS), so the compromises between speed/clarity and size/immersiveness hit me hard. I hate buying into the Predator when it's both at it's most expensive and at version 1.0, but it's the least compromising unit out there right now.

Might just jump into a Swift, especially if I can find a deal on a quality used one (likely from someone financing a Predator ;)), and wait for things to settle out more. My current, elderly Asus 26" 1200P TN unit is by far the oldest bit of computing equipment I own.

So should I sell my Samsung and get the Predator or wait for the ROG 34"?

Depends on a few things:

1. Do you have the GPU power to push 34x14 at 100 fps? Or at least 70+? EDIT: I see you do.

2. Do you mind more BLB and IPS glow? Because the Samsung's VA panel is free of that so moving to an IPS you may not like that.

3. Do you mind waiting till Q1 or possibly even later next year for the Asus to arrive?

Just setup my X34, so far so good. Vega can you tell me what is the longest DP cable I can use without compromising performance? The included cable is woefully short since my machine sits on the side of a large desk..

It is 1.2 and it worked on my swift, idk about this monitor though. Point being, 15' cable worked for me on the swift at least.

Back