Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync

I am glad I looked into this thread. I am honestly not a big fan of Acer when it comes to monitors. The specs are very impressive so I hope it turns out really good. I am going to hold off on any monitor purchases until Q3 or Q4 of 2015, but this will be getting a strong look.

windowed mode doesn't support g-sync (and usually not multiple gpus either for that matter).

If you can't get very high fps (~> 100fps or so) fullscreen at high or very high settings for the mode/most common frame rate then I'd recommend a 1080p g-sync monitor instead since at lower frame rates you wouldn't even be using the higher hz's increased motion definition and motion clarity (blur reduction).
If you aren't going to play fullscreen at all you won't even be using the g-sync you paid for.
However - you might be able to run a lower resolution surrounded by black bars in full screen mode to give you a higher frame rate and still utilize g-sync variable hz instead, not certain how these monitors will handle that but without a scaler should be able to. That way you'd have your desktop/app real-estate and still be able to play in a smaller screen mode when gaming.

Thank You sir!

Still no official word whether it is 144hz or not?
So far we know its coming August, will be 3440x1440 IPS and come in G-Sync and FreeSync versions.

Gibbo also wrote there will be 35'' VA versions soon after that, wonder what this is about.

there will be 35'' VA versions soon after that, wonder what this is about.

Better contrast levels combined with gsync ;-). But then of course input latency and pixel reponse time must also be acceptable =\.

I have been wondering if samsung would do a VA version since their 60hz one is VA. Very interesting, I'll be following for sure.

Still no official word whether it is 144hz or not?
So far we know its coming August, will be 3440x1440 IPS and come in G-Sync and FreeSync versions.

Gibbo also wrote there will be 35'' VA versions soon after that, wonder what this is about.

35" VA? Is that a 21:9 screen? Or 4k?

For high-end desktop monitor applications, AUO presents 35-inch ultra wide curved LCD, which is currently the world's largest in size and highest in curvature(*), for desktop monitor. Its 2000R ultra high curvature, WFHD (2560 x 1080) super fine image quality, 100% sRGB wide color gamut, and 21:9 ultra wide cinema image ratio together bring an immersive, lifelike viewing experience.

99% this is the VA panel

Question? If you have a not so powerful GPU for this monitor. I have a GTX-680 and want to use the monitor for multitasking along with some gaming. Will playing a game in windowed mode will do? Granted I will be upgrading later to a new GPU but I'm holding until I see what's new in few months.

I don't need to play full screen but I love to have all that real state for other stuff.

What's your experience?

You can play in fullscreen with black bars (1:1 pixel mapping) or with nvidia's ugly upscaling in a res lower than native just fine with current nvidia drivers. I do that on my Swift from time to time. And you still keep g-sync or ULMB that way.

Guys over on another board (overclock.net) are saying this is from a sales or customer service rep at OcUK:

Latest info from OCUK Gibbo:

Hi there

Just to make it clear, unless my presentations are incorrect:

34" IPS 3440x1440 are 60Hz and there shall be a FREESYNC & G-SYNC version
35" VA 3440x1440 (Resolution TBC) are 144Hz and shall be FREESYNC & G-SYNC version

Take that for what its worth....

The specs arent even released yet from what the Acer rep stated on Twitter to TFTCentral this past weekend so there seems to be alot of speculation in that thread from the several posts I've read but we shall see

Panel still not registered on panellook up to now. But if it is indeed a new 34" LG.Display Panel you can be sure that we'll also get some new LG UC34 at the same time. It could, of course, also be the same one already used in the LG UC34's of last year and the Dell U3415W, which are also known to overclock to 75Hz.

In any case they are adding value, since currently neither LG nor Dell has AdaptiveSync or G-Sync versions for these panels on the market.

so 75hz it is

All the hype for this monitor just died. Oh well, I was worried about the QC anyways after seeing all the complaints about Acer's high end other gsync monitor. I guess I will just have to wait for another company to make one.

It could, of course, also be the same one already used in the LG UC34's of last year and the Dell U3415W, which are also known to overclock to 75Hz.

sure they did not skip frames? The guys on anandtech forums discovered theirs skip frames

so we still have these mystery 144hz VA panels coming up, but they might disappoint in the resolution department

Oh well, this thread can be closed pretty much. 75 Hz just means it's a slightly overclocked version of one of the current 34" panels.

I guess I'll go do a 3x portrait 27" Acer Predator setup...

Yea I was wondering why you hadnt already done that lol. Especially with the Titan x sli, but 3x predator will need more of course

Well that is certainly a major let down. And probably a $1,300 to $1,500 US price point as well.

Oh well, this thread can be closed pretty much. 75 Hz just means it's a slightly overclocked version of one of the current 34" panels.

I guess I'll go do a 3x portrait 27" Acer Predator setup...

we feel sorry for you having to downgrade to such a meager setpup.

is 75Hz to slow for a strobing backlight?

The G sync model apparently has ULMB so assume the 75hz is ok for strobing. Although refresh rate is lower than hoped it's still a bit of a step up from 60hz and at least g-sync and FreeSync support is included

If the colors are good, I'm still willing to pick up the G-sync model. I want to compare it to my 34" LG @ 60hz.

+15 hz and + g-sync is better than NOTHING. But I think we were all waaaay too optimistic thinking Acer had gotten ahold of a 144 hz IPS panel when LG and everyone else cant...

I'll probably still bite since 21:9 1440p 144hz with some sort of adaptive sync isn't coming any time soon, if ever. Since these will be available sometime in July, the 390X will be out with the 980Ti shortly after (hopefully) and that may dictate what version I buy.

Soon....soon.

Well, I'm annoyed that I was right to be skeptical of those crappy "articles" when they were first getting the hype-train going.

I would have much preferred to be wrong and this thing to be as awesome as people were hoping.

I was pretty sure this monitor was going to be a letdown in the resolution department. Turns out the refresh rate was the actual disappointment lol.

Its been a long wait for GTA V on PC. Ive done my best to hold out and only sucumbed to a few random plays at friends houses. I havent had my LG 34uc97 ultrawide monitor long but I was a bit worried about the fast pace of GTA and if I would get any screen tearing and motion blur. But it is amazing!!! 3rd person camera view is awesome on the ultra wide monitors. I guess the biggest helper is having gone from SLI 780ti to one GPU (Titan X) powering the 3440 x 1440p monitor. I'm happy they took the time to get the game right. Gee, I'm going to clock some hours up on this beauty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjarI_T5lw

Uch....feel gutted, honestly believed the XR341CK would be my grail monitor. Consolation is I can just buy and enjoy the XB270HU now rather than having to wait another 6 months.

:rolleyes:. Very disappointing... although deep down I knew the rumored specs were probably too good to be true. Had $3k set aside for one of these and dual 980Ti's later this year... now I'll probably just keep my 290's and grab a MG279Q FreeSync monitor when it's available.

Ya it sucks I was hoping to pick one of these up as well later this year. Now I don't know if I should go for the 27" version or just hope and wait for something else to be announced?

Here we have confirmation that 35'' 144hz VA Panel will be 2560x1080:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27919452&postcount=143

that is 79ppi. A 27'' 1080p has 82ppi
AUO pls, if they made a 29-31'' it would've been much better but I venture a guess it will be plenty popular, especially for multimedia use and the curve is 2000R.
Info about contrast and whether it has strobing should be coming by the end of this month.

Last edited:
79 ppi, couldn't do that. I guess the 27 inch Acer will stay the top dog.

I'm still gonna get this anyways. Only reason I don't have a dell u3415w is because I heard of this. So it's basically the same thing with g sync which would obviously be better. Article said early July which isn't far off

Here we have confirmation that 35'' 144hz VA Panel will be 2560x1080:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27919452&postcount=143

that is 79ppi. A 27'' 1080p has 82ppi
AUO pls, if they made a 29-31'' it would've been much better but I venture a guess it will be plenty popular, especially for multimedia use and the curve is 2000R.
Info about contrast and whether it has strobing should be coming by the end of this month.

Thats looks better than any other ultrawide. If I didn't have a ROG Swift I might consider getting it if it ends up being good.

Back