Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync

Predator is really aimed at gamers and when you put

Gamers + Monitor together = Fast Pixel Refresh, Low Input lag and even Free/G-Sync.

+not to be forgotten that we know its 34" 21:9 aspect ratio.

Really good signs!!!

Also good signs for more games to come out with native 3440 x 1440p resolutions and UI.

Also good signs for more games to come out with native 3440 x 1440p resolutions and UI.

This.

World of Tanks still doesn't support 3440 x 1440 (have to play 2560 x 1140 w/ black bars).
I also heard the newest Call of Duty (Advanced Warfare?) doesn't either, though I haven't tested that title.

The more 3440 x 1440 monitors out there, the more games will have to come with support for it.

Doesn't 3440x1440@144 Hz go beyond what DP 1.2 does? In any case it sounds like a really expensive monitor, especially with G-Sync. 2560x1080 on the other hand would be disappointing.

Not too sure, you can daisy chain two 3440x1440 displays at 60hz on DP 1.2.

So glad to see 21:9 taking off. I liked it from the second that I saw videos of the 1080p 21:9 displays. Just didn't want to make such a downgrade in vertical space. I'm loving my Dell. Only gripe is the refresh rate. Screen tearing is less noticeable on higher refresh rates, even with a lower frame rate.

Why the hell would they make this piece of trash 3440x1440 at 144Hz instead of 2560x1080 at least 200Hz? Are people so dumb that they think 144Hz is good enough? Also, why 144Hz at all?! 140Hz or 150Hz makes more sense!

Why the hell would they make this piece of trash 3440x1440 at 144Hz instead of 2560x1080 at least 200Hz? Are people so dumb that they think 144Hz is good enough? Also, why 144Hz at all?! 140Hz or 150Hz makes more sense!

24 fps video * 6 = 144 Hz.

Curved screens will go the way of 4:3 aspect ration.

As screens widen a curve is needed to briing perspective to the user.
For example, Eyefinity/Surround users in landscape, angle the outside monitors inward, which simulates a curve.

21:9 extends beyond the 16:9 standard, a slight curve is needed to simulate the Eyefinity/Surround setup.

Curved 16:9 screens on the other hand aren't as useful.

If its glossy they can make the price ridiculous and I'll still buy it.
The matte rog swift checked all the right boxes except one... Are Acer gaming monitors typically matte or glossy?

The matte rog swift checked all the right boxes except one... Are Acer gaming monitors typically matte or glossy?

Personally I think glossy is terrible. Even if you're in a completely dark room you're still going to see the reflection of light being reflected off yourself from the screen.

Curved screens will go the way of 4:3 aspect ration.

I owned both the flat LG 34" and now the curved LG 34", back to back.

I can honestly that that the curve makes gaming feel a bit nicer and does nothing at all worthwhile in normal windows tasks.

Bringing the edges just a tiny bit close to my eyeballs did improve the feel of games (Far Cry 4 and Elite Dangerous are what I was playing back to back on both screens).

But yeah, I think its really only a 'thing' for wide screens. I cant see anyone saying they would pay for more a 27" curved screen. But on these big 34 inchers, gimmick or not, I think curved is here to stay.

Last edited:
Acer is on a roll.

Pretty much this. Glancing at Acer display reviews, it looks like most of their displays are pretty well calibrated out of the box, and their panels don't have PWM dimming. Only hit I can think of on their displays is that most of them have crappy bases. But since they're VESA compatible, a good stand is only a click away. For the money that Acer asks for its displays, it's damn good deal.

144hz is hardly anything to sneeze at. Especially if it has an ULMB mode. Someone already answered your question about 144hz - it's frame-compatible with 24 fps, so that movies don't need to be watched using some crazy 3:2 pulldown effect like previous televisions and displays used to do.

Really, it's like you're scoffing at a Lamborghini that can *only* go 200 mph. :rolleyes:

Personally I think glossy is terrible. Even if you're in a completely dark room you're still going to see the reflection of light being reflected off yourself from the screen.

Yeah, I am not a fan of glossy in the slightest... .. Light matte for the win.

Same for me with the ROG, don't understand why they went to all the trouble of building a top of the line monitor only to cover it with a horrible grainy polarizer. I would have been happy to live with a light matte coating, but there is no way I am paying a premium only to have the image quality look like a grainy cross hatched mess.

This may well finally be my grail monitor if Acer don't go full retard and instead use a less aggressive AG. I wonder how much horse power I would need to drive three of these....hopefully Nvidia and AMD deliver new GPU's more capable of running 4K and above.

On a side note, why don't monitor manufacturers use the same anti-reflective coatings applied by Swiss watch makers? Completely transparent and very effective at eliminating reflections.

As exciting as this sounds.....I just don't know how long I'm willing to wait

so few details and a vague Q2 release date.....

the first UM95 / 3440x1440 took over two years since it first unveiled at CES, full of delay after delay. people are all excited over it now, but for the amount of waiting that monitor took to launch + the quirks/problems it had once released, it was a huge disappointment for me. not sure I'm willing to do that all over again

being gsync and 144 hz, if these things do 3d vision as well, I'll almost certainly replace my 3d surround setup with this...

As exciting as this sounds.....I just don't know how long I'm willing to wait

so few details and a vague Q2 release date.....

the first UM95 / 3440x1440 took over two years since it first unveiled at CES, full of delay after delay. people are all excited over it now, but for the amount of waiting that monitor took to launch + the quirks/problems it had once released, it was a huge disappointment for me. not sure I'm willing to do that all over again

Agreed that its release date MIGHT be sometime in 2015 :) But why "wait"? Game on what you have now or buy a new monitor you want. Keep its original box in good shape, when the Predator lands, if its something you want, buy it and sell the old monitor on Ebay. You'd be surprised what you can get for your old stuff especially if you keep the original box in good shape. I just sold my flat LG 34" for 770 USD (I replaced it with the curved LG 34 uc97)

Curious why you thought your flat LG was a disappointment? I loved it, just wanted to try out the whole curve idea on an impulse buy. The only issue with my flat panel was the sleep issue, but even that wasn't happening all the time and wasn't a big deal to just disable windows turning off the display and manually hitting the power off button when I wanted to leave the machine on all night downloading torrents etc.

Agreed that its release date MIGHT be sometime in 2015 :) But why "wait"? Game on what you have now or buy a new monitor you want. Keep its original box in good shape, when the Predator lands, if its something you want, buy it and sell the old monitor on Ebay. You'd be surprised what you can get for your old stuff especially if you keep the original box in good shape. I just sold my flat LG 34" for 770 USD (I replaced it with the curved LG 34 uc97)

Curious why you thought your flat LG was a disappointment? I loved it, just wanted to try out the whole curve idea on an impulse buy. The only issue with my flat panel was the sleep issue, but even that wasn't happening all the time and wasn't a big deal to just disable windows turning off the display and manually hitting the power off button when I wanted to leave the machine on all night downloading torrents etc.

The hardware LUT is completely un-usable if you have more than 2 monitors. LG's software is so cheaply/poorly coded, it stops looking for the monitor after 2, even though the computer can still see it.

It's obvious it's just a lazy oversight. Tried 5 times to report it to customer service in hopes of an update someday. They all treated me like idiots and told me I couldn't use it with other monitors. They eventually gave up and lied to me, saying "let me have a more experienced engineer call you back"

so all that money on the hardware LUT and a calibrator for it was a complete waste.

I've since went to the Acer 4K G-sync, but have that on loan for a potential sale to a friend now, so I'm potentially monitor shopping again. I look back on the 21:9's, but with their price and the quirks.......blegh. I've tried everything at this point (1080p surround, UM95, XB280HK). Guess I'm stuck waiting for this

I didn't think it was possible, but all these announcements are sort of making me regret the decision to buy the ROG Swift. :p

Well, not really...

The hardware LUT is completely un-usable if you have more than 2 monitors. LG's software is so cheaply/poorly coded, it stops looking for the monitor after 2, even though the computer can still see it.

It's obvious it's just a lazy oversight. Tried 5 times to report it to customer service in hopes of an update someday. They all treated me like idiots and told me I couldn't use it with other monitors. They eventually gave up and lied to me, saying "let me have a more experienced engineer call you back"

so all that money on the hardware LUT and a calibrator for it was a complete waste.
All you needed to do is unplug other displays from your card for the 6 minutes the calibration takes and you were done. Not most practical or obvious thing but clearly takes less time than any customer service call.

All you needed to do is unplug other displays from your card for the 6 minutes the calibration takes and you were done. Not most practical or obvious thing but clearly takes less time than any customer service call.

and then once you connect the displays again....the software loses the monitor and you lose your functionality. and auto adjust with the calibrator

oh and ScreenSplit completely fails too - splitting windows manually was fun....not

the service call was to report a genuine bug/oversight with their software. they did nothing but treat me like an idiot

if buying a $1k monitor doesn't get you respect as a customer, idk what does these days

You lose what functionality? Normally once it's calibrated you don't need the TCF to be running or even being installed...until the next calibration that is.
What autoadjust? I don't recall seeing this in TCF.

You lose what functionality? Normally once it's calibrated you don't need the TCF to be running or even being installed...until the next calibration that is.
What autoadjust? I don't recall seeing this in TCF.

I was told/read around that TCF does need to run (and has autoadjust)

I could be wrong, the documentation was pretty lackluster

but then I ask why not a single person from customer service could tell me that? :rolleyes:

why should I have to go to a forum instead of official support to actually get support?

Weird, I don't see any autoadjust in TCF, other than the calibration itself. However sometimes there is one (I presume it's the brightness, maybe color temperature, adjustment that you are talking about) in the software of the calibrator, x-rite has it, but I don't think that would work with LG since it's hardware calibration AND the brightness adjustment is locked (you need to recalibrate if you want to change it, same goes for the color temperature), also officially TCF can't adjust brightness to a sub 80cd/m2 value, without TCF the screen is able to do as low as 50, and by hacking TCF I was able to go down to 66 (even with a target of 50cd/m2).

And yeah, unfortunately, the customer service is often clueless, but that's a global issue :p

I didn't think it was possible, but all these announcements are sort of making me regret the decision to buy the ROG Swift. :p

Well, not really...

You should be able to get most of your money back if you sell it. No big deal. ;)

You should be able to get most of your money back if you sell it. No big deal. ;)

If you keep your original box in good shape, Ebay is great.

I bought a ROG Swift as well, after using the flat screen LG 34" for about a month. Didn't like the ROG at all, 27" feels tiny after using a 34 @ 3440 x 1440.

Sold it on ebay, for not too much of a loss (lost about 200 USD) and kept using my flat LG.

Just remember to keep your original box in good shape!

I'm really bummed out that all the sites reporting on this monitor are basically all finding ways to say that they "think" this monitor will be 3440x1440, but Acer doesn't appear to have confirmed it or denied it. I think if it turns out to be 2560x1080 like the LG Freesync model, there is going to be some serious disappointment. And unless it has DP 1.3, I don't see how it could possibly drive the specs people are hoping for out of this reliably. And if it is 2560x1080, then the Swift remains the better option unless you just like the form factor.

I wish someone could get Acer to go on the record about this one.

I'm really bummed out that all the sites reporting on this monitor are basically all finding ways to say that they "think" this monitor will be 3440x1440, but Acer doesn't appear to have confirmed it or denied it. I think if it turns out to be 2560x1080 like the LG Freesync model, there is going to be some serious disappointment. And unless it has DP 1.3, I don't see how it could possibly drive the specs people are hoping for out of this reliably. And if it is 2560x1080, then the Swift remains the better option unless you just like the form factor.

I wish someone could get Acer to go on the record about this one.

considering the fact that Acer hasn't even "announced" it themselves makes me not bother holding my breath

manufacturer's already take stupidly long liberties when it comes to "announcing" a product and actually shipping it to store shelves

the info released, whcih first appeared on TFTCentral, clearly says it won't be going in to production until Q2, so it won't be available for quite some time as well.

I understand it is a ways off. But I'd like to be able to plan upgrades now and put money aside for new gfx cards and monitor... just want the real specs on this thing. If it lives up to the hype machine it will be a game-changer.

I understand it is a ways off. But I'd like to be able to plan upgrades now and put money aside for new gfx cards and monitor... just want the real specs on this thing. If it lives up to the hype machine it will be a game-changer.

If it is true that the monitor supports gsync and 1440x1440p@ 144hz, then I believe that would require DP1.3 in terms of bandwidth. Officially announcing that would then let the cat out of the bag of new features Nvidia would have to release on upcoming gpu's to support Gsync, as currently nothing supports DP1.3. If anything, I bet we might see a simultaneous announcement (or synchronized announcements) of whatever new gpu this thing requires (gm200 maybe?), and a demonstration running the display.

As stated before, 3440x1440 can run up to 145 Hz within DP 1.2 spec with overhead removed.

I thought I had read that with the overhead caused by gsync, the swift at 2560x1440 maxed out the bandwidth offered by DP1.2. I have no idea where that source is though, and it could be disproven.

As stated before, 3440x1440 can run up to 145 Hz within DP 1.2 spec with overhead removed.

Right... but does that seem like it would be something engineers could lock into place?

I'm thinking about the Overlords/Koreans/etc. that were inconsistent at hitting 120Hz. Saying it can do a thing, and then making it do that thing consistently and without other issues (as DP gives people fits all the time) just seems like a lot of wishing to me.

Back