Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
acer_xr341ck.jpg

Acer rep confirms:

100 Hz
~September Release Date
Around $1,200 US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sZ2LR0H48#t=133

Spec wise both versions offer a 34" ultra-wide screen size with 21:9 aspect ratio and a curved screen format. They are based on IPS panel technology and given we are only aware of LG.Display producing IPS-type panels in this sector, they are likely to be AH-IPS from LG.Display. The screens have a 3440 x 1440 resolution and support refresh rates up to 100Hz.

September 2015 release.

Last edited:
Now this I could see myself buying

And agreed with the above poster, acer seems to have all the models coming I'm actually interested in

2015 is Acer's year apparently!

If this is IPS (which all curved monitors so far are), 144 Hz / G-Sync / ULMB, would be truly epic.

Doesn't 3440x1440@144 Hz go beyond what DP 1.2 does? In any case it sounds like a really expensive monitor, especially with G-Sync. 2560x1080 on the other hand would be disappointing.

Could be DP 1.3, or maybe even multiple input like the 5K Dell. Different sources are saying Q2/Q3, so right around the time DP 1.3 is suppose to be available in actual hardware. Here's to hoping the new gen GPU's dropping this spring will have DP 1.3.

Doesn't 3440x1440@144 Hz go beyond what DP 1.2 does? In any case it sounds like a really expensive monitor, especially with G-Sync. 2560x1080 on the other hand would be disappointing.

By that time, DP 1.3 will be out.

Just speculating on price since the current curved 34" monitors are $1200-$1300, I'm guessing this would release at $1500+. Acer has to pay the G-Sync tax and it's also running at 144Hz. This monitor will absolutely corner the high-end gaming PC market.

Last edited:
Never thought Acer would be the company pushing the display tech forward in this manner lol, this is amazing.

If they had a G-Sync version of this monitor I would shit bricks and switch back to Nvidia immediately. The Dell and the LG are already out, and I don't see them adopting a FreeSync version anytime soon, but who knows

@17.28Gbits/s, DP1.2 can do 145Hz at this resolution

If it's a solid panel, 1 ms with good viewing angles, I'll be selling my ROG and grabbing that :D

It will be missing at least one thing that we all want. I think companies purposely design stuff that way sometimes. On the other hand, maybe I'll be surprised.

wow this means i am going to wait with upgrading anything at all. do not want to get the 980's to find out i need to upgrade again to get the full potential of this monitor. i am talking displayport wise.

Good lord if all these specs are legit. take my money now!

Assuming no glaring issues such as bad backlight bleed, high input latency etc this is a very tempting proposition.

@17.28Gbits/s, DP1.2 can do 145Hz at this resolution

Yup, look's like this monitor could be single DP 1.2 after all. So that beg's the question, did Acer take a current gen G-Sync module and overclock it even higher than Asus did with the ROG Swift (hopefully came up with a good cooling solution), or does it have a more advanced G-Sync module than we have seen?

Wow. Here I am getting all excited about the upcoming 27" 1440p models with variable refresh at 120/144Hz... and this drops. Unreal. If it's as good as it sounds it will be the upgrade to make coming from a 110Hz 27" korean. A major step forward in both the high Hz variable refresh AND the size/resolution/gaming immersion aspect, one that I had given up on seeing in 2015. At this point it might be time for me to start saving my pennies for one of these and two Big Maxwells. I'm guessing $3400 will cover it, lol. Unless we are fortunate enough to get a FreeSync version.

Yup, look's like this monitor could be single DP 1.2 after all. So that beg's the question, did Acer take a current gen G-Sync module and overclock it even higher than Asus did with the ROG Swift (hopefully came up with a good cooling solution), or does it have a more advanced G-Sync module than we have seen?

Keep in mind that the resolution has not been confirmed.

Based on the LG Freesync 34", this could also be a 2560x1080.

The resolution has been confirmed. Read back the TFTCentral news piece source. There is also expected to be a 2560 x 1080 version of some sort

I actually prefer to have it at 2560x1080 than 3440x1440 for some reason. Perhaps because resolutions are suffering from fps issues as it is from current gen of graphic cards. From a gaming perspective at the least. The monitor looks delicious though.

I'll probably get a lot of flak, but 34" is too big for my desk. I hope they make a smaller version of this

I hear ya. I love my ROG, but this thing gives me wood like never before.

My only concern would be the size. I had the 32" Acer 4k before I returned it and my god it made my U2711 look small. Also not sure if it will have a VESA mount or not and if it doesn't I would have to figure out a way to distance myself from the monitor. Unless 2 ft. is enough for this sort of resolution/screen size.

With all these monitors coming out I may end up selling my Swift to my friend.

Keep in mind that the resolution has not been confirmed.

Based on the LG Freesync 34", this could also be a 2560x1080.

If they only released a 1080 version, I certainly wouldn't buy it. That's a horrible tiny vertical resolution.

If they only released a 1080 version, I certainly wouldn't buy it. That's a horrible tiny vertical resolution.

I want a freesync/gsync 3440x1440 monitor as much as anyone, but when the LG's turned out to be only 1080 it was a disappointment, so I just want folks to keep their expectations in line with existing reality as we know it.

If this is the 3440 of my dreams, then I'll honestly be surprised that Acer is alone in delivering this. Seems like one of the others would have this worked out, too.

Holy hell they just keep coming out with great stuff lately. Really not sure what im going to upgrade to with so many choices..

I need more desks and more computers ^_^

I actually prefer to have it at 2560x1080 than 3440x1440 for some reason. Perhaps because resolutions are suffering from fps issues as it is from current gen of graphic cards. From a gaming perspective at the least. The monitor looks delicious though.
I disagree.

Ive owned the following 3 monitors within the last 6 months (and in the following order):
1. LG 34" flat screen 3440 x 1440 60hz (34um95-p)
2. Asus PG278Q 2560 x 1440 144 hz
3. LG 34" curved 3440 x 1440 60 hz (34uc97)

On the first monitor, I gamed with a single Titan. Had no problems getting 60 FPS at 3440 x 1440 in any game I played at high with some random ultra settings thrown in.

On the second monitor, I had replaced the titan with a GTX 980. Again, no problem getting high 110 to high 120's FPS with g-sync on and the monitor set to 144hz.

On the 3rd monitor (currently still in use) I have 2 x 980s in SLI even though a single 980 was enough to get a solid 60 FPS at 3440 x 1440 on the flat screen.

I could see if you are down in the 750ti range, but anyone who buys this spectrum of monitor for gaming is 90% likely to also be dropping coin on a high end graphics card. Or two. I'm not slamming main steam PC users (i have been accused of this before) who game with stuff like the 750ti, AMD HD7750, etc. They're playing at 1080p with medium settings and having a good time and thats great. I helped a buddy decide on a AMD HD7750 as the replacement for his integrated intel HD2000 graphics processor and now he has what he considers to be a fantastic gaming experience in Guild Wars 2, War Thunder, and Rome Total War. Good on him and that's fine. BUT someone who would spend over $1000 USD on a monitor, which these new Acers will likely cost (based on their LG competition) is more than probably going to have a 600 dollar plus video card, and likely even TWO of them. If any of the rumors about this monitor turn out to be true, it points exclusively at a 'high end gaming' monitor. Gsync and > 60hz are useless for the productivity crowd. The current high end gaming crowd guys are using 1 or 2 970s or 980s. I think thats the market segment this monitor will be squarely aimed at.

BUT.... What this guy said:
I want a freesync/gsync 3440x1440 monitor as much as anyone, but when the LG's turned out to be only 1080 it was a disappointment, so I just want folks to keep their expectations in line with existing reality as we know it.

He's absolutely right. ALL the websites were saying the new 34" LG that was going to make its debut at CES 2015 was 3440 x 1440, 60hz, with Freesync. They were all posting it like it was 100% fact. Example:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/lg-34um67-ultra-wide-gaming-monitor-gets-amd-freesync.html

Then CES finally came and LG shows up with its 34UM67 , and turns out, its 2560 x 1080!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGpR7ziHvQ

Nobody even issued an apology for all their "Its 3440 x 1440 with free-sync" statements of fact. All you heard from them is crickets.

So in all honestly, while I really really really hope this acer is 3440 x 1440 with g-sync and any refresh rate greater than 60 hz (Hell, even 75 hz would be a huge improvement and I'd drop up to 2,000 USD on it), based on the brand spanking new competition from LG (so new, its not even out yet!) there is a big chance the Acer WONT be 3440 x 1440 w/ g-sync and refresh greater than 60. Just sayin'

Edit: Here is the games list I play/played on all 3 x monitors. All were 'fluid' at 3440 x 1440 with a single GTX 980
Far Cry 4
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen Beta
Heroes and Generals
WarThunder
WarGame RedDragon
Assassin Creed Unity
Shadows of Mordor
Wasteland 2
Fallout New Vegas (with simple *.ini edit)
I even tried Crysis 3. I was getting 60 FPS BUT the 'blur' felt so unnatural i quit playing after less than an hour.

I also never noticed the "black light" bleed problem people talk about with either LG monitor. I don't game in a dark room. I game in normal, day-light levels of light. I cant imagine sitting in the dark trying to game, but thats just my own opinion.

Last edited:
I think this monitor will be something real special. If it was just a 34" screen at 60 Hz, it would be virtually news-less worthy since there are already multiple screens out there like that. I don't think TFTCentral would get all spooled up over that.

Not to mention, this thing won't hit the streets until Q3, some decent development is being done on it to take that much time. And they also wouldn't use the name Predator if it was a basis screen.

Back