Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD IPS NVIDIA G-Sync Black/Red Gaming Monitor for $549 @ Newegg

I'd go 1440p @ 144Hz over 4K @ 60Hz all day long, but that's merely my opinion based on personal preference.
My desktop right now is an Acer 32" 4K gsync panel and I love it and right next to it is the Acer XB270HU running 144hz and gsync and I want both. If gaming was my priority though there's no question I'd take the 144hz and gsync but if I only had one monitor it would be the 32" 4k. Now I need to find someone to buy my U3014s :(

I have two of these 165hz 1440p displays. Absolutely love them to pieces. Although keep in mind these are made by au optronics, hopefully the yellow screen issues are worked out by now. When I was buying mine, I bought locally, as there were tons of issues with yellowed screens, backlight bleed, etc. I literally went through around 11 of them before I found 2 back to back that were pure white. When paying this much for a monitor, it's upsetting that there was such a lottery. Again, hopefully this is the thing of the past...As I got my monitors close to release.

I bit also. was also waiting for the ASUS, but this will do. I know i have the 34" version, but this hardly on sale and use it as my 2nd gaming monitor.

I'm on the fence. Was waiting for the Asus to go on sale...ugh...

I have the Asus version, I only picked it up over the Acer when I was at Micrcenter last year because it was on sale at the time for $599 (I actually like the Acer stand better.) I got lucky with my panel lottery, tried it in store before I drove back home. Simply spectacular monitor, if you're looking at this monitor you already know it's what you want.

I have the Asus version, I only picked it up over the Acer when I was at Micrcenter last year because it was on sale at the time for $599 (I actually like the Acer stand better.) I got lucky with my panel lottery, tried it in store before I drove back home. Simply spectacular monitor, if you're looking at this monitor you already know it's what you want.
Having trouble getting over the panel lottery idea. I get it when you're talking about a sub-$300 Korean panel. My expectation is a bit higher here.

For me I would go with FPS. I saw a nice jumped going from 1080 to 1440. To me it is hard to tell the difference between 1440 and 4k. I must be going blind at my old age.

So. How bad is the yellow / bleed if you lose the panel lottery?

Having trouble getting over the panel lottery idea. I get it when you're talking about a sub-$300 Korean panel. My expectation is a bit higher here.
My panel is fine, and most should be. However it's still possible, and something that should be considered. I actually picked up the extra warranty through Microcenter so if I have issues or if the one I opened was unsatisfactory, I could go pop another one open until I was satisfied. Should generally be worth the roll of the dice at this price, if you do have to return it it would likely only have to be once. You of course end up eating the cost of the shipping it wherever it needs to go.

So. How bad is the yellow / bleed if you lose the panel lottery?
I went thru 4 panels. None had bleed problems.
1st had internal smudges, as if it was cracked internally
2nd had awful color uniformity and bright areas
3rd had bad uniformity and dust inside
4th has a stuck pixel. I kept this one.

Hmm this or 4k 27" IPS for $150 cheaper. FPS vs pixels...

I went through this dilemma last year, in fact. I had a few displays side by side at one point (including this one), and ultimately found I kept "missing" the extra pixels a lot more than the extra frames. My choice was also somewhat influenced by the games I play, and I play more RTSs and RPGs than FPSs where resolution is more impactful than frames.

Also, you can likely overclock your 4k display a bit (mine runs at 72hz). It won't get you 144hz, but it's a bit faster.

The ideal is to have a 4k 120hz which are just starting to become available... which costs $1k+ and are TN - no thanks.

I went through this dilemma last year, in fact. I had a few displays side by side at one point (including this one), and ultimately found I kept "missing" the extra pixels a lot more than the extra frames. My choice was also somewhat influenced by the games I play, and I play more RTSs and RPGs than FPSs where resolution is more impactful than frames.

Also, you can likely overclock your 4k display a bit (mine runs at 72hz). It won't get you 144hz, but it's a bit faster.

The ideal is to have a 4k 120hz which are just starting to become available... which costs $1k+ and are TN - no thanks.

What 4k do you have that does 72hz? I have a tn 28" and its 60hz or bust. Id love to have mva or ips that does 72hz, so i could triple frame 24hz video.

What 4k do you have that does 72hz? I have a tn 28" and its 60hz or bust. Id love to have mva or ips that does 72hz, so i could triple frame 24hz video.

It's an LG 27UD68P. Not sure if I got lucky in the panel lottery: 72hz no frameskipping, great color accuracy, IPS, freesync, no discernible light bleed at all (I do recall many other people reporting getting 72hz on this display, one of the reasons I got it). Been extremely happy with it, the monitor I ultimately settled on after going through 4 others in the past 2 years -- and very ironically was the cheapest by a longshot.

It's very barebones in terms of features on higher end monitors (that I don't use/need, in any case). No USB ports, only a few I/O ports, no speakers etc. You're basically paying for a superb panel in an decent housing, and not much else, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry to OP to diverge of topic... :)

Last edited:
It's an LG 27UD68P. Not sure if I got lucky in the panel lottery: 72hz no frameskipping, great color accuracy, IPS, freesync, no discernible light bleed at all (I do recall many other people reporting getting 72hz on this display, one of the reasons I got it). Been extremely happy with it, the monitor I ultimately settled on after going through 4 others in the past 2 years -- and very ironically was the cheapest by a longshot.

It's very barebones in terms of features on higher end monitors (that I don't use/need, in any case). No USB ports, only a few I/O ports, no speakers etc. You're basically paying for a superb panel in an decent housing, and not much else, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry to OP to diverge of topic... :)

When I try to OC my 69P it throws an out-of-range error on the monitor even though Windows is working - are you doing HDMI or DisplayPort?

I must of had good luck. I purchased this monitor and the black light bleed wasn't that significant to be a bother. I bought it from Amazon. Used the newegg promo to help reduce the price using a credit card's benefit that has saved my butt many times in getting me the best deal no matter where I buy from.

I had $65 dollars credited back.

Back