Acer Predator X35 - 3440x1440 35" UW@200hz VA G-SYNC HDR

Blade-Runner

Supreme [H]ardness
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

https://www.techpowerup.com/236624/...ine-with-orion-9000-pc-x35-hdr-gaming-monitor

This large 35-inch, 21:9 monitor sports an immersive 1800R curve and a brilliant (3440 x 1440) WQHD resolution. Featuring NVIDIA G-SYNC, Acer HDR Ultra and quantum dot technologies, it also provides the best possible contrast quality with high dynamic range. Advanced LED local dimming in 512 individually-controlled zones shines light only when and where it is required. The Predator X35 delivers a broader, more deeply saturated color gamut covering 90 percent of the DCI-P3 color standard, and a luminance range several times greater than that of traditional dynamic range monitors. The fast 4 ms response time and high 200 Hz refresh rate combined with NVIDIA G-SYNC makes gameplay smooth and life-like with no tearing or visual artifacts.

Outfitted with Predator GameView, there are eight pre-set display modes to optimize visuals for different types of action. In addition to Standard, ECO, Graphic and Movie, there are three special game modes, including Action, Racing and Sports, which can be easily accessed through a hotkey or the On-Screen Display (OSD) menu. Gamers can also define their own custom profile and program each mode according to their preferences.

Acer BlueLightShield technology lets customers reduce blue light emissions by selecting from four different filter settings via the OSD menu. The premium VA panel enables wide viewing angles up to 178-degrees horizontally and vertically. In addition, Dark Boost technology allows fine details to be seen in dimly lit environments.

The Predator G9 Series gaming desktops will be available in North America in December with prices starting at $1,999; and in EMEA in November starting at €1,999., while the Predator X35 display will be available in Q1 2018.

I love my X34 and have no reason to upgrade, but would like to know if VA is likely to be markedly better as I have never used one before? Hideously expensive as well.

I am wondering about these quantum dot VA panels as well.. I can't imagine theyd be better than IPS for color repo

I am wondering about these quantum dot VA panels as well.. I can't imagine theyd be better than IPS for color repo

Huh? VA has better contrast without the light edge bleeding of IPS. Better off axis color also. 10-bit panels 1.06 billion colors.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Huh? VA has better contrast without the light edge bleeding of IPS. Better off axis color also. 10-bit panels 1.06 billion colors.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Maybe I am mistaken? I thought that was the selling point of IPS panels?? better color reproduction and viewing angles. Do you have proof that VA has better color reproduction?

vkPiT9r.jpg

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

https://www.techpowerup.com/236624/...ine-with-orion-9000-pc-x35-hdr-gaming-monitor

I love my X34 and have no reason to upgrade, but would like to know if VA is likely to be markedly better as I have never used one before? Hideously expensive as well.

The other one you want to check out is the ASUS PG35VQ. Should be releasing at the around the same time as the Acer model. It's basically the same panel tech.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

Maybe I am mistaken? I thought that was the selling point of IPS panels?? better color reproduction and viewing angles. Do you have proof that VA has better color reproduction?

vkPiT9r.jpg

Sorry, shouldn't have said off axis color. Though some VA panels has advanced to a point that off axis color is very good compared to IPS. The Acer and Asus panel use VA panels by AUO.

http://www.auo.com/?sn=1282&lang=en-US

There are a lot of other benefits to VA.

The AUO VA panels used in the last round of ultrawides were complete garbage to my eye. Crushed blacks, severe overshoot and/or ghosting, weird gradient issues, GSync flicker (AUO not necessarily at fault here).

Here's hoping these turn out a little better. Haven't found anything better/worth the money over the U3415W I've had for awhile.

It's been posted in a few places but it didn't have its own thread because the https://hardforum.com/threads/asus-pg35vq-3440x1440-200hz-gsync.1935683/ does and (I think) it was announced first, and they'll be basically the same monitor.

These displays along with the 27" 4K 144hz HDR FALD ones have been delayed so many times it's getting ridiculous. We're going to see new prototype displays at CES 2018 before we even get the products that were slated to launch this year from last year's CES!

Honestly it is tiresome to see companies hype products 1+ year before they come out because a good portion of the time they just end up as vaporware or near-vaporware like the Dell UP3017Q(didn't even meet its announced specs, the inferior version was only on sale for 2 months).

As for the VA panel, the big downsides of VA panel have always been viewing angles(contrast shift in the horizontal plane that makes the edge have very different contrast from the center) and horrifically slow dark pixel transitions. They're going to have to substantially overcome the latter if they want this to be a useful 200hz panel and not a complete joke like the Acer Z35.

vkPiT9r.jpg
just fyi this image is extremely misleading and essentially useless. the difference in apparent colorfulness could literally just be because of brightness differences or even software alterations to color reproduction. check tftcentral reviews of various VA, IPS, and TN monitors; they give precise measurements of color accuracy and gamut. basically, color accuracy for these three in sRGB applications is virtually identical once calibrated.

Contrast Ratio: VA (up to ~7000:1) >>>> IPS (up to ~1300:1 with the caveat of IPS glow) >> TN (up to ~1100:1), this is why VA is the best panel type for 99% of people and why 99% of televisions are VA
Viewing Angles: IPS >>> VA >>> TN
Color Accuracy: IPS > VA > TN (simply because of viewing angles; viewed directly they're all identical after calibration)
Color Vibrancy: IPS = VA = TN (this mainly has to do with brightness and gamut coverage of the panel)
Motion Blur: TN >>> IPS > VA

2000 euro for a mere 35"? Would have to be OLED or have G-sync simultaneous with ULMB to be worth it.

just fyi this image is extremely misleading and essentially useless. the difference in apparent colorfulness could literally just be because of brightness differences or even software alterations to color reproduction. check tftcentral reviews of various VA, IPS, and TN monitors; they give precise measurements of color accuracy and gamut. basically, color accuracy for these three in sRGB applications is virtually identical once calibrated.

Contrast Ratio: VA (up to ~7000:1) >>>> IPS (up to ~1300:1 with the caveat of IPS glow) >> TN (up to ~1100:1), this is why VA is the best panel type for 99% of people and why 99% of televisions are VA
Viewing Angles: IPS >>> VA >>> TN
Color Accuracy: IPS > VA > TN (simply because of viewing angles; viewed directly they're all identical after calibration)
Color Vibrancy: IPS = VA = TN (this mainly has to do with brightness and gamut coverage of the panel)
Motion Blur: TN >>> IPS > VA

VA panels usually have something very wrong with their response times. In the darker shades.

I keep saying it...the display manufacturing industry is the worst. It's just pure incompetence across the board. Who else frequently releases new technology that's WORSE than the previous technology? They're a joke and should all be flogged.

I keep saying it...the display manufacturing industry is the worst. It's just pure incompetence across the board. Who else frequently releases new technology that's WORSE than the previous technology? They're a joke and should all be flogged.

??

Its really not that bad. If you hang around these forums BLB and IPS glow are the worst things in the world and so is Acer and Asus QC. But for the majority of people, they don't care about those.

If you are talking about VA, it is not a worse technology. It is different and comes with its own advantages.

Back