Acer Predator X34 is being recalled.

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/td-p/390434/page/32

I appreciate your patience while we investigated the concerns discussed here related to the X34 backlight waking from sleep. After working with you and performing our own testing, we found that this symptom is seen most often when lower brightness settings are selected. Unfortunately, a firmware or “do it yourself” solution is not possible to address this. Instead Acer has identified that a hardware level remedy is required. So currently our repair and contact centers are being brought up to speed to assist.

This means, we suggest contacting your local support team who can help setup the repair services. Our repair turnaround time is very short in most regions, which means you will only be without your X34 for a few days. Note that Acer is also taking steps to apply this solution to inventory that has not reached customers yet.

Again thank you for your patience and assistance in working through this.

Post 319 by Acer-Cory

I've had several issues with mine. Microcenter called me today and told me all the Predator X34's were being recalled. Within minutes of that call, Acer made the statement above. There will no recourse besides either returning it, or sending it to Acer and doing the whole RMA deal. They aren't known for their great customer service, then add to that the fact that everyone who bought one will be sending it in. Sound like a recipe for headache.

If you have one incoming as of today, your best bet is to just send it back. They are stating that it's the wake from sleep backlight issue they are doing the recall for. But there are also several other issues. Here is a statement from Acer when asked if the other issues would be addressed in this recall:

Not at this time, but I've put on people's radar.
If you can return yours, better do it. Acer needs to pay on their bottom line for this. Consumers shouldn't be forced into a horrible RMA process to get a working monitor.

So things just got really bad in the 34" Curved gaming monitor world.

People on Acer's forum are reporting being hung up on when trying to contact Acer support about the recall. Online chat is also showing to be unavailable.

When Acer was asked if people would receive a new, fixed monitor, or a repaired one:

I can only speak for the US/Canada support team as I spoke with them a few minutes ago. They are providing inbound shipping options, they are performing a hardware repair, and the turn around time is an average of 7-10 days from the time we receive it to get it back to you.

Again, this is just for the US. Other regions may have slightly different experiences.

So upwards of two weeks from the day you ship, to when you get it back. Maybe more.

Bummer. So much for Acer getting the early jump on Asus, by the time all these issues get sorted the PG348Q will nearly be out...

There are some people having issues. Most that have bought the monitor are not having any issues at all including myself. This is not a recall. A recall suggests that all of the X34's are being recalled. This is not true. Acer's statement is that if you are having an issue, they can fix it because they found the potential problem. Again, most people are not having any problems with the monitor.

There are some people having issues. Most that have bought the monitor are not having any issues at all including myself. This is not a recall. A recall suggests that all of the X34's are being recalled. This is not true. Acer's statement is that if you are having an issue, they can fix it because they found the potential problem. Again, most people are not having any problems with the monitor.

The email Microcenter and other retailers got literally says every Predator X34 is being recalled. It is NO LONGER FOR SALE. So keep drinking that "well mine works fine so you guys are overreacting" koolaid. It's been a few hours, but expect to see a press release for the RECALL within the next few day. I'll make sure to post it for you.

And by all means, don't take any action. I'll be laughing when you come back in a few days stating your having trouble. It's a hardware level issue that they have identified. So there is a very high chance that EVERY X34 has it. It may not have manifested in everyones yet, depending on setup and use, but they wouldn't be recalling every one from stores if they didn't think it was needed. They would have specifically said "Only contact us if you have problems". Not "Stop selling them and send them all back to us". That's a big fucking step.

And btw, I didn't have the WFS issue until I'd had it for over a week. And now I haven't had it in a few days now. There's not rhyme or reason to it. It comes and goes. I could wake my computer right now and the backlight might now work. And btw, it's caused by your computer going to sleep, not your monitor just shutting off. So if you haven't let your computer hibernate or go to sleep, you might want to.

And yes, I'm fucking livid about this and will do everything in power to stick it to Acer and make sure they get as many returns as possible. This shit could have been found by a blind monkey if they would have done any testing at all. So now they are reaping what they sow. So save your "Well your overreacting and blowing this out of proportion" shit. Damn straight I am. I paid $1300 for a monitor that doesn't work.

This "let's rush this XXXX product out the door and hope for the best" shit is getting old. I've dealt with stuff like this from Asus, Samsung, and now with Acer. I waited a year for this monitor, drove 4 hours to get it, and now have to drive 4 more to take it back and begin my search for a monitor all over again. I spent a crap load of time troubleshooting this monitor thinking was my setup, drivers, cables, etc. just to find out it was Acer's lack of quality control the whole time. I'm a pissed consumer, and I'll whine if I want to.

The email Microcenter and other retailers got literally says every Predator X34 is being recalled. It is NO LONGER FOR SALE. So keep drinking that "well mine works fine so you guys are overreacting" koolaid.

SNIPPLE DE DIPPLE

, etc. just to find out it was Acer's lack of quality control the whole time. I'm a pissed consumer, and I'll whine if I want to.

Yea, I have been on the wrong side of a panel lottery a time or two before and it sucks...but my X34 is flawless with my Titan X. I am having none of the reported issues that I see here.

I suggest, instead of getting your panties in a bunch, give Acer a chance and let them repair your display. At least they are trying to do the right thing.....unlike say SONY....the latest PSN update bricked my perfectly functional PS4 and now SONY wants $150 to repair it and refuses to take responsibility for their wrongdoing.

The email Microcenter and other retailers got literally says every Predator X34 is being recalled. It is NO LONGER FOR SALE. So keep drinking that "well mine works fine so you guys are overreacting" koolaid. It's been a few hours, but expect to see a press release for the RECALL within the next few day. I'll make sure to post it for you.

And by all means, don't take any action. I'll be laughing when you come back in a few days stating your having trouble. It's a hardware level issue that they have identified. So there is a very high chance that EVERY X34 has it. It may not have manifested in everyones yet, depending on setup and use, but they wouldn't be recalling every one from stores if they didn't think it was needed. They would have specifically said "Only contact us if you have problems". Not "Stop selling them and send them all back to us". That's a big fucking step.

And btw, I didn't have the WFS issue until I'd had it for over a week. And now I haven't had it in a few days now. There's not rhyme or reason to it. It comes and goes. I could wake my computer right now and the backlight might now work. And btw, it's caused by your computer going to sleep, not your monitor just shutting off. So if you haven't let your computer hibernate or go to sleep, you might want to.

And yes, I'm fucking livid about this and will do everything in power to stick it to Acer and make sure they get as many returns as possible. This shit could have been found by a blind monkey if they would have done any testing at all. So now they are reaping what they sow. So save your "Well your overreacting and blowing this out of proportion" shit. Damn straight I am. I paid $1300 for a monitor that doesn't work.

This "let's rush this XXXX product out the door and hope for the best" shit is getting old. I've dealt with stuff like this from Asus, Samsung, and now with Acer. I waited a year for this monitor, drove 4 hours to get it, and now have to drive 4 more to take it back and begin my search for a monitor all over again. I spent a crap load of time troubleshooting this monitor thinking was my setup, drivers, cables, etc. just to find out it was Acer's lack of quality control the whole time. I'm a pissed consumer, and I'll whine if I want to.

You know, Acer already got a bad reputation from the XB270HU so that should've been a warning sign from the start. You say manufacturers rushing a product out as fast as possible is getting old, well I can say the same about people who rush out to buy said products asap without WAITING a bit first to see if it has any problems that needs to be addressed. You chose to drive 4 hours for the monitor that was your decision. Not saying you are wrong for being angry because a broken $1300 would piss anyone off, but next time you should take more precaution before driving 4 hours for a $1300 monitor right at launch from a company that already developed a bad reputation from a similar product.

Yea, I have been on the wrong side of a panel lottery a time or two before and it sucks...but my X34 is flawless with my Titan X. I am having none of the reported issues that I see here.

I suggest, instead of getting your panties in a bunch, give Acer a chance and let them repair your display. At least they are trying to do the right thing.....unlike say SONY....the latest PSN update bricked my perfectly functional PS4 and now SONY wants $150 to repair it and refuses to take responsibility for their wrongdoing.

You're not reading. They are going to fix ONE thing - the wake from sleep bug. That is the least of my worries. The high pitch coil whine at anything over 60hz is important to me. The fact that it won't hit 100 hz without rebooting the display, flickering so bad it couldd trigger an epiliptic sizure, or just straight up BSOD'ing my computer is important to me. They are fixing the very first issue that was reported, WFS. The others are "on the radar", which means they won't be fixed.

And my panties are in a bunch because now I can't even exchange it. I can A.) Drive 4 hours for a refund and be back at square one monitor wise, since there are NO other monitors that compare to what this one could have been, or B.) pack it up and send it to Acer for 2+ weeks so they can fix the one issue I care about the least, then get it back with the flicker and the coil whine unfixed.

I want the monitor to do exactly what it's supposed to do, no more, no less. But consumers are so used to shitty products or unplayable games that we are just supposed to sit back and take it in the ass. Some idiot on reddit says he likes Acer more now that they are doing a recall. So instead of being pissed at a shitty product release, this idiot doesn't even know what way is up. And he probably doesn't even have an X34.

I've wasted a shit load of time, wasted some money driving to get it, and all I have to show for it is a potentially amazing monitor sitting boxed up by my front door waiting for the drive back to Microcenter tomorrow.

And I get to use my shitty 1080p Tv as a monitor again, which looks fucking horrible now in comparison. Nothing like running a $3000 gaming rig on a fucking TV.

You know, Acer already got a bad reputation from the XB270HU so that should've been a warning sign from the start. You say manufacturers rushing a product out as fast as possible is getting old, well I can say the same about people who rush out to buy said products asap without WAITING a bit first to see if it has any problems that needs to be addressed. You chose to drive 4 hours for the monitor that was your decision. Not saying you are wrong for being angry because a broken $1300 would piss anyone off, but next time you should take more precaution before driving 4 hours for a $1300 monitor right at launch from a company that already developed a bad reputation from a similar product.

I waited a YEAR for this monitor. Built the very expensive gaming rig in my sig so that this monitor would be the centerpiece. And I've never owned an Acer monitor before, nor do I care about whatever the XB270HU is.

Stupid me thought that after all the hype, something as simple as a monitor probably would be ok to grab to complete my new gaming build. It's not some new game that's supposed to change the world or weird new streaming computer handheld device thing. It literally does the least work of my computer. It just displays. Sits there. Doesn't move. Just displays.

Microcenter got one in. I said fuck it, been using a TV as a monitor for years, let's take a trip and get a new monitor. And here I am today.

Personally its not worth the hassle for me unless the issue will somehow critically effect the monitor in the future, otherwise I am happy to just leave brightness at 50. As it stands I have minimal BLB, no dead pixels, 100hz refresh rate works as intended and I cannot see any horizontal scan lines when g-sync is enabled.

Personally its not worth the hassle for me unless the issue will somehow critically effect the monitor in the future, otherwise I am happy to just leave brightness at 50. As it stands I have minimal BLB, no dead pixels, 100hz refresh rate works as intended and I cannot see any horizontal scan lines when g-sync is enabled.

Same here, I have no issues with mine and minimal BLB. I probably won't be sending mine back until something comes up where I feel I need to.

I waited a YEAR for this monitor. Built the very expensive gaming rig in my sig so that this monitor would be the centerpiece. And I've never owned an Acer monitor before, nor do I care about whatever the XB270HU is.

Stupid me thought that after all the hype, something as simple as a monitor probably would be ok to grab to complete my new gaming build. It's not some new game that's supposed to change the world or weird new streaming computer handheld device thing. It literally does the least work of my computer. It just displays. Sits there. Doesn't move. Just displays.

Microcenter got one in. I said fuck it, been using a TV as a monitor for years, let's take a trip and get a new monitor. And here I am today.

Lol ok so you mean to tell me knew about the X34 for a year yet you somehow have NO idea what the XB270HU is when it was the most hyped monitor from the same company before the X34 and announced around the same time...Anyways seeing that you assumed buying a monitor would be 100% problem free clearly shows that you didn't really do much research or kept up with current monitor trends. Anybody who did would know that the latest so called "premium" gaming monitors from the Eizo FG2421 and Asus PG278Q were plagued by bad QC. But you probably have no idea what those monitors are either.

After the 27" monitor fiasco acer still having Issues with new monitor? Lol talk about a shitty company. Luckily i didnt buy it and will not buy anything acer from now on.

DUDE welcome to the high end gaming monitor buying club! You think this is new? You think this is an Acer specific issue? Bro shitty monitor launches go all the way back to crt days.

I cant even recall the last time I bought a high end electronic that did not have some quirk or another.

I'm fucking livid
I think this is the problem (and post after post demonstrates this mindset). People recoil from watching someone completely lose their cool.

I mean, go ahead and feel how you want to feel. Nobody can stop you. But the sheer rage and raw emotion displayed in so many of your posts just makes people cringe.

I guess some folks try to cultivate an air of calm, collected reason. And those people recoil when they see the opposite. And others don't seem to value calm at all.

The thing is. . . nobody is ever going to talk the screaming guy at the Customer Service desk at Best Buy into realizing that he's sorta overreacting. And telling him he's doing so is only going to make it worse.

So, I'm wasting everyone's time with this post. But just wanted to point out that I think a lot of people would accept the substance of these posts better if it wasn't surrounded and positively dripping with such raw emotion.

This "let's rush this XXXX product out the door and hope for the best" shit is getting old. I've dealt with stuff like this from Asus, Samsung, and now with Acer. .

Sounds like you expect perfect monitors?

Companies don't go out to make a shitty product on purpose, you can't be mad about it. Electronics will never be 100% perfect. I buy around 5-10 different monitors a year, and never has one been 100% flawless.

From what I can tell the freesync version doesn't seem to be having all those issues. Don't forget it came out way earlier also

The display manufacturing industry just flat out sucks. It sucks so very deeply.

Who's going to save us from this dog shit?

This thread title and some of the posts you see around are very misleading. Clearly Acer aren't recalling all X34's at all. That would be total madness and implies they have found such a severe problem that they can't risk having the product out with users. It's far from a product recall. All they've said is that they have found thr cause for the sleep issue some people have reported and know how to fix it. And that if you senate it fixing you can contact Acer support to arrange that. Nothing beyond that at all, just a standard support confirmation for anyone particularly bothered by it. And from what I've read from a lot of places, most people aren't even affected or bothered by that sleep issue anyway.

Talk abput over exaggeration from a thread title!

It is a recall. Microcenter have stopped selling it.

One shop not selling stock does not a recall make :)

A Recall is where the manufacturer recalls all units due to a major issues, normally something dangerous. Like if a car manufacturer recalls certain cars because the engines are at risk of catching fire or something like that. Nowhere does the Acer rep say it's being recalled and clearly there is no reason to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if some retailers put a hold on new stock until the issue is fixed by Acer so they aren't having to handle returns or upset customers. or more likely Acer aren't shipping any more in to retailers while they sort it their end. Either way it's not a recall. It's Acer fixing an issue for new stock before they go out and offering support for anyone affected. Not at all uncommon and being massively over exaggerated in some places including his thread sadly

That's not true. Car manufacturers issue recalls for both minor and major issues all the time, but you don't often hear about the minor ones unless you go out of your way to seek information on your vehicle.

The major recalls that can affect safety have notices sent out and are usually picked up by major news outlets.

If we were to draw a comparison to computer tech - in this case displays - Acer is treating this as a minor recall.

NCIX pulled the X34 from sale a few days ago, and Newegg.com has moved the item from backorder to out of stock, so it isn't just Microcenter at this time.

Personally, if I owned this monitor, I would be on the lookout for another potential RMA scenario with the horizontal scanline issue people are reporting. It still exists at 100hz but it just isn't as a prominent as with lower refresh rates.

The display manufacturing industry just flat out sucks. It sucks so very deeply.

Who's going to save us from this dog shit?
Honestly, if the industry sucks that bad, you have a tremendous opportunity to be entrepreneurial.

Yes but Acer aren't recalling units from users at all that's my point. It's a misleading term here. They are no doubt fixing stock before its sent out to retailers any more. That's not surprising and the same thing happened when they fixed the banding issues and delayed launch in most countries. Anyway good they are fixing it. I just think the use of the word recall implies more than what's happening here by quite a way

Returned the X34 and picked up a U3415W. Microcenter price matched Amazon and gave me $50 off for the hassle. So $700 total. Set it up. Minimal blb and no dead pixels. Looks identical to the X34 obviously screen wise. Overclocked to 75hz easily. Tested all my games and works flawlessly. I'm happy.

Good luck to X34 owners and the roller coaster you are about to be on. I'm not looking back and won't be following any X34 threads. Good riddance. I'll check in on the "Gaming" monitor scene in a couple years. Hopefully things are better.

^^^^^^^ Hey if your happy with that congrats....but that lack of gsync and lower fps is no bueno!

I'm an X34 guy (see sig) and love it. To be honest though, I have never bothered with sleep mode on any display I have ever owned. When Im sitting at my PC, its on and the display is on. When I leave my house, I turn off my computer. So I don't know if mine suffers from the wake from sleep issue that others are having with it.

I wouldn't think of sending it back, its fantastic for gaming with 2 x Titan Xs.

After using this display for a few days...gotta say I miss multi-screen bezels.....also I hate the way my titan(s) provide greater than 30fps gsync, which is a total waste since the human eye is monovision and can only see three shades of gray within the color spectrum at 4fps!

Yes but Acer aren't recalling units from users at all that's my point. It's a misleading term here. They are no doubt fixing stock before its sent out to retailers any more. That's not surprising and the same thing happened when they fixed the banding issues and delayed launch in most countries. Anyway good they are fixing it. I just think the use of the word recall implies more than what's happening here by quite a way

Units are only recalled from users if they are a health, safety or life risk hazard. And usually they pay the shipping. E.g. Oil filled heater recalls after a death happens.

How often do computer parts explode and blow people up?

Not to try to flame you, but under your logic and argument, Intel never recalled the P67 motherboards either !

I'm an X34 guy (see sig) and love it. To be honest though, I have never bothered with sleep mode on any display I have ever owned. When Im sitting at my PC, its on and the display is on. When I leave my house, I turn off my computer. So I don't know if mine suffers from the wake from sleep issue that others are having with it.

I wouldn't think of sending it back, its fantastic for gaming with 2 x Titan Xs.

The wake from sleep issue is sooooo minor anyways. I have this every single day because i leave my pc on all the time (it is also my home media server). It literally lasts for like 2 seconds. The second you get into windows and move the mouse the backlight fully turns on. It is such a minor inconvenience that if this is the only thing wrong it isnt worth getting it fixed. I could return the monitor to Microcenter today by going like 10 seconds out of my way, but im not going to. This is really a non issue.

The oddest thing to me about this and the blue banding issue, is that these both scream firmware problem to me. The fact that none of these are able to be patched by an end user makes me feel like Acer fucked up and forgot to make the firmware easily patched by an end user. Most monitors allow you to do it with a usb drive, maybe they screwed up the design and the firmware can only be patched by some internal header. That would be really dumb.

Last edited:
if your going to comment, comment on the message, not the messenger

Returned the X34 and picked up a U3415W. Microcenter price matched Amazon and gave me $50 off for the hassle. So $700 total. Set it up. Minimal blb and no dead pixels. Looks identical to the X34 obviously screen wise. Overclocked to 75hz easily. Tested all my games and works flawlessly. I'm happy.

Good luck to X34 owners and the roller coaster you are about to be on. I'm not looking back and won't be following any X34 threads. Good riddance. I'll check in on the "Gaming" monitor scene in a couple years. Hopefully things are better.

I swung by MC today, sure enough no more X34 demo model on display. But the goal of the trip was to see the U3415W in person, and I was underwhelmed actually. I like the UltraWide form factor, but it was still a smaller monitor than I expected for the $849 they're asking. I realize it can be had for <$700 online but still not motivated; guess I expected a bigger "wow".

I realize its subjective. Obviously. But for a little more money ($999), the 16:9 34-inch from LG looked like so much more monitor for a little more money, and no black bars on the sides when playing 16:9 movies.

Last edited:
Back