Acer Predator X27 4K G-Sync Display is Loud and Cheap

I've been wanting to upgrade from my S2716DG/Ultrasharp dual monitor combo for a while. Money isn't really a problem, I avoided the last gen of Acer Predators due to the insane number of RMA stories I saw everywhere. Looks like they doubled down on shit price and shit quality this time around.

In the world of monitors $2000 means I get to demand absolute perfection, the fact these are coming through with back light bleeding even after all these years says quite a lot. The cherry on top of this shit show is the cheap/loud fan that has no intake ports.

Fuck Em'

LOL.....annnnnnnd I'm out.

ASUS ROG PG279 here - beautiful. I can't see replacing it yet especially for 2K. I just am not that [H]ard anymore.

Wow I watched that youtube video of the german guy who sent his back.....Wow what terrible QC for $2000. I agree if you spend that much money, you expect top notch quality. Don't get me wrong $2000 for the latest tech is ok with me, but it HAS to be better than that. I mean specially if the fan is louder than your PC...Like come the fuck on.....

Again I am not against the technology or the price. I just expect better quality for $2000 dollars.

The general opinion seems to be, as suspected, not in favor of these types of price bloated bs pieces of hardware. It's a dangerous precedent that absolutely can never be accepted by anyone. The mobile game industry is quickly ramping up and at over 54 billion in annual sales this is the type of crap that makes our position as PC gamers even more dubious as a whole. To me, this is a like nail in the coffin. 27" monitor, shoddy fit and finish, cheap ass plastic fan @ $2,000 dollars? Honestly, I've not heard any complaints about $1,200 high-end gaming monitors. That's the PC community being very accepting of that price point. But $2,000 is obscene. Also this guys video is gaining traction. Another indication that the PC community is NOT okay with this type of crap. Who cares about the specs to be honest. There is no way this piece of hardware could ever be justified. Lastly, the price. These companies are in business to make money, end of story. The $2,000 sticker tells you that they never ever anticipated on selling many units.

I do want this monitor, or ASUS's (July 13 according to Newegg), but I know they always seem to have QC problems, and as such, I wasn't willing to trust Newegg with their monitor return/replace policy.

$2,000 monitor that has 4K.....and this on a size 27"??

For that dough I would have brought FOUR 32" LG 4K monitors!

Let's see, NV says a while longer before next line, AMD promising to start new lines annually soon, and we ultimately don't have a single card that can truly push 4k at ultra settings on a consumer level.

I'm pretty happy with my current setups:

1. Strix OC edition 1080TI paired to a Asus P278Q(1440p/144hz/g-sync). A near perfect match that I highly recommend to anyone. The most demanding games will bring it down to ~60fps while anything less will average 100+fps and the least demanding are 140-180fps. My only complaint, be nice if it had HDR10. The 11GB Vram provides plenty of head room for this resolution as well. I've seen averages of 3-6GB. Seriously, anyone looking to build a rig to conquer all should consider a similar card/display pairing.

2. 1080SLI G1 OC editions paired to LG 31MU97(4096x2160/60hz/10bit/v-sync) and a HiSense 55" HDR10. A mostly 4k setup. It works, mostly. Totally dependent on SLI support-'nuff said there. I do, however, have to say the LG picture quality is still the best I've owned yet. The build quality is impressive too(more metal than plastic). Only complaint is an audio pop glitch that's well known-thankfully I just keep it muted and run audio to a receiver. At 4k I've seen some games hit the 8GB ceiling. The irony is that when the SLI works it offers ~10-20% more performance than the single TI but then Vram becomes an issue when AA settings are maxed in games like MEA, ROTR, KCD. Due to what I've seen here I don't recommend a high priced 4k display to anyone.

My 32" smart pos samsung does well enough at 1080p from across the room, though I am itching to upgrade. Just waiting for it to go poof before I lay down hopefully <$500 for a decent freesync display, probably an lg. Definitely not this or anything under 32" or $700+.

Sometimes I think this place is changing to the [ S ]oftForum

1nty4l.jpg

View attachment 80684
Nah, just don't need to spend big bucks to get big perf, contrary to popular belief. Yes, for certain items (gpu, cpu, ram, ssd) it pays off. For a monitor, it's at least 70% personal preference.

View attachment 80684

If not wanting to pay $2000 for a 27" monitor is soft, guess I'm soft.

Besides that, 4K is pointless at 27". I know after you spend $2000 you'll swear the difference is night and day but unless you've got the screens sitting next to each other, you're not going to see the difference. 32", maybe but 40 and up is where 4K will finally start to pay off.

I just can't get into the 4K revolution. Graphics in games are improving very very slow. I mean, Crysis 2 still looks as good as most any game on the market! Other than OLED that's still too expensive, monitors aren't getting any better either. The only gimmick they can come up with to sell new monitors (and GPU's) is ultra high resolutions. And unless you're plopping a 50" TV on your desk, I just can't see a reason to justify it.

I ain't hating on it or anybody that loves it, I just haven't bought into it. And at a laughable $2000 for a mere 27" screen that's only going to be marginally better than a $500 monitor, I doubt I ever will.

It has nothing to do with "wanting to pay" the $2000 for it. It is the idea that the monitor is somehow no different or barley better than a $500 60 Hz edge-lit 4K monitor. The X27 and PG27UQ are a quantum leap over such displays for gaming. Or that all the extra bleeding edge technology in it should barely raise the price is just silly.

As Mark and Blurbusters said, hundreds of times more manpower went into getting the firmware right versus a traditional monitor to get 144 Hz 4K HDR FALD with G-Sync working. No other monitor gets more than two of those working together let alone all FIVE. Oh, and my X27 is right next to a 2018 C8 OLED. It has nothing to do with "purchase validation".

View attachment 80684
Is it [H]ard to buy defective products and just suck it up? My major beef is at this price point for such and obviously niche product aimed at extremely discerning gamers is that it has major defects with the screen and cooling. This is a bigger issue than the price to be honest. If the reviews all showed a gorgeous flawless screen, and a functional cooling solution, this would be an entirely different conversation. A lot of people would simply dismiss it as too expensive, but we wouldn't have all this discussion about the issues they have. I believe at this low level of interest and price point, it really needed better qc and be a damn near flawless product. Panel (and apparently fan) lottery shouldn't be an issue here.

If not wanting to pay $2000 for a 27" monitor is soft, guess I'm soft.

Besides that, 4K is pointless at 27". I know after you spend $2000 you'll swear the difference is night and day but unless you've got the screens sitting next to each other, you're not going to see the difference. 32", maybe but 40 and up is where 4K will finally start to pay off.

I just can't get into the 4K revolution. Graphics in games are improving very very slow. I mean, Crysis 2 still looks as good as most any game on the market! Other than OLED that's still too expensive, monitors aren't getting any better either. The only gimmick they can come up with to sell new monitors (and GPU's) is ultra high resolutions. And unless you're plopping a 50" TV on your desk, I just can't see a reason to justify it.

I ain't hating on it or anybody that loves it, I just haven't bought into it. And at a laughable $2000 for a mere 27" screen that's only going to be marginally better than a $500 monitor, I doubt I ever will.

I agree with all of this and would also add that Windows scaling still sucks sweaty ballsack. And you will absolutely have to scale at 4K at 27 inches.

I am currently using a 32" 1440p monitor in large part because you don't have to scale with it.

I agree with all of this and would also add that Windows scaling still sucks sweaty ballsack. And you will absolutely have to scale at 4K at 27 inches.

Scaling is very much dependent on how well individual apps handle it and that can be iffy particularly with older Win32 apps. But it shouldn't be a problem with the latest version of Windows 10 and most popular software. A 27" UHD display translates to about 163 DPI which is kind of on the low side and 150% scaling should be sufficient for most.

First of all, this thing could have been absolutely perfect but at $2,000 dollars ...... hell, hell .... 'cough' 'cough' ... hell no.

I'm sure they are planning on producing no more than 2500 to 3000 units. Who in their mind would ever consider something like this.

I thought it wasn't uncommon for you to spend $$$ on BS?

My $160 and your $160 are probably two totally different planets. It's not uncommon for me to blow $500 - $750 a week on BS wants.

PerfumedUnacceptableBluebird-size_restricted.gif

Is it [H]ard to buy defective products and just suck it up? My major beef is at this price point for such and obviously niche product aimed at extremely discerning gamers is that it has major defects with the screen and cooling. This is a bigger issue than the price to be honest. If the reviews all showed a gorgeous flawless screen, and a functional cooling solution, this would be an entirely different conversation. A lot of people would simply dismiss it as too expensive, but we wouldn't have all this discussion about the issues they have. I believe at this low level of interest and price point, it really needed better qc and be a damn near flawless product. Panel (and apparently fan) lottery shouldn't be an issue here.

I fail to see how one guy getting a monitor with a defective fan makes the entire monitor line defective. For all we know they could have kicked his monitor off the shipping truck. Stuff like that actually happens. I assume the other item you are talking about is blooming? All FALD displays bloom. I'd rather have some blooming of FALD than terrible contrast ratios, IPS glow and back light bleed. The contrast ratio for an IPS panel on the X27 is quite phenomenal all things considering. I catch myself playing and saying how does this game look this good on an IPS panel?

It blows other gaming monitors image quality out of the water.

So you see a video from one person and now you think the whole product line is defective?

I fail to see how one guy getting a monitor with a defective fan makes the entire monitor line defective.
The fan was not defective. I think you need to go back and watch the video again...and maybe read the OP more closely?

It has nothing to do with "wanting to pay" the $2000 for it. It is the idea that the monitor is somehow no different or barley better than a $500 60 Hz edge-lit 4K monitor. The X27 and PG27UQ are a quantum leap over such displays for gaming. Or that all the extra bleeding edge technology in it should barely raise the price is just silly.

As Mark and Blurbusters said, hundreds of times more manpower went into getting the firmware right versus a traditional monitor to get 144 Hz 4K HDR FALD with G-Sync working. No other monitor gets more than two of those working together let alone all FIVE. Oh, and my X27 is right next to a 2018 C8 OLED. It has nothing to do with "purchase validation".

It is barely better than a quality $500 1440 monitor. More pixels doesn't necessarily mean it's better image quality...it just means it's got more pixels. And again, 4K makes little sense at 27" and it definitely doesn't make any sense at 27" AND $2000!

Monitors don't have to be expensive to be excellent. I ran a HP 25" for several years that I bought at Best Buy for $200 and my kid's using it now and it looks great, better than my $500 BenQ (but I bought this for the 144 Hz). I'm sure the monitor looks and games great but $2000 is a ridiculous price to pay for a product that will only offer marginal benefits at best.

Oh really? Because I don't see you or any of the other "MEH BIGGEM DISPLAAAHH" people running out to buy the 43" 4k120hz mango display @ $1,400 either.

Right, because for one, 43" screens don't always work well on a desk top and two, that's still a shit load of money for a monitor and three, 4K is overrated.

So lets be honest:

2) You have no idea how awesome this display really is, because you are using your existing displays as base line comparisons and this thing blows those away.

Yes, we're basing it on all the other monitors and TV's that are out right now and there are some absolutely superb monitors and TV's out now. I highly doubt Acer of all people has developed the magical monitor that blows them all away. I'm not doubting this thing looks great, I'm just saying it's not "blowing away" other high end models available out there for 1/3 of the price.

3) 27" is not small when you consider 163 DPI and how detailed and crisp everything is. Its the same exact situation with a mobile phone, you can read the small screens on your mobile because they have awesome PPI.

27" isn't small, I'm on a 27" screen right now arm's length away and it's almost perfect...I think 32" is actually perfect from arm's length personally. However, 27 is too small for 4K to be worth it. I'm sure if you sit and look at a 1440 and 4K display side by side you can see some small differences but I could almost guarantee you that you would never notice those differences in real world use double blind. Like I said earlier, more pixels doesn't mean your monitor is better. It just has more pixels.

I don't need to watch the video. I own the monitor and know precisely what the fan sound level is.

Determining the volume level in a video without instrumentation by sticking a camera microphone into something and playing it back on a computer with varying speaker levels is silly at best.
You need to go back and watch the video or read the OP. Stating you are not ignorant does not change things.

I am not trying to troll, but that German guy in the OP video is a whiney cunt who does not know shit. My X27 fan does not sound anything like his and the fact that he has that ultrawide on his desk as his primary tells me everything I need to know about his "expertise"
Did you use the stock mount, or the vesa adapter plate to mount it to an arm?

I am not trying to troll, but that German guy in the OP video is a whiney cunt who does not know shit. My X27 fan does not sound anything like his and the fact that he has that ultrawide on his desk as his primary tells me everything I need to know about his "expertise"
What's wrong with ultrawide monitors? I love my X34.

I watched the video well before you posted this as "front page news" there guy. I was referencing a second video that contained a defective fan, but that went completely over your head. I know introducing new information may make it hard for some people to keep up.

I watched the video well before you posted this as "front page news" there guy. I was referencing a second video that contained a defective fan, but that went completely over your head. I know introducing new information may make it hard for some people to keep up.
Sorry, my bad, I thought you were actually discussing the topic. My bad. I am glad you are getting your money's worth out of 27" $2k monitor. $74 per inch. For reference, that is more than [H]&B.

Did you use the stock mount, or the vesa adapter plate to mount it to an arm?

Stock mount. Yes we know the retards at Acer shipped a Vesa adapter that blocks the fans airflow and makes it struggle and ramp up louder. So either drill some holes, or give Acer's CSRs a what for.

What's wrong with ultrawide monitors? I love my X34.

BLB tends to be the worst on UWs, most have banding & hot spotting issues, 1440p is too narrow of a vertical resolution to read legal documents and annoys me, they cannot run as high FPS rates as 16:9, you have to turn your head to see data on the sides, a good portion of games still do not support the format size, Contrast ratio sucks unless your talking CF791 but those have terrible VA shimmer and no Gsync, their resale value sucks...need I go on?

Stock mount. Yes we know the retards at Acer shipped a Vesa adapter that blocks the fans airflow and makes it struggle and ramp up louder. So either drill some holes, or give Acer's CSRs a what for.

So this is what I was getting at. I'm not ghetto modding a brand new monitor of this calibur, even if it's just the mounting plate. Acer's CSR's shouldn't be dealing with this, it should have never left the design table with this over site intact. But hey, they can just ship out replacement mounts right? That's actually something they can do, but shouldn't be dismissed as no big deal so easily. Not the kind of hassle expected of such a product. This isn't Acer's first monitor.

Honestly, I a surprised that you are getting caught up with the mob and pitch forks over the $2,000 cost Kyle. I mean this is your website and you know the PC hobby better than 99.9% of the population, so you should be aware that professional displays with half of the X27 features run up to $30,000+
Also, the FW900 established a $2,000+ high end base line price a long time ago.

You did great journalism exposing the shitty the Nvidia G-Force partner program....but your research into this particular topic is "FAKE NEWS" at best lol
Yeah others were right, you are in a honeymoon phase with this monitor.

I've been building PCs for a long time as well (over 20 years), almost always have the latest tech and never behave as you are right now defending the shit out of your purchase. You keep trying to discredit others that say anything bad with ridiculous analogies while constantly screaming that you are credible.

So this is what I was getting at. I'm not ghetto modding a brand new monitor of this calibur, even if it's just the mounting plate. Acer's CSR's shouldn't be dealing with this, it should have never left the design table with this over site intact. But hey, they can just ship out replacement mounts right? That's actually something they can do, but shouldn't be dismissed as no big deal so easily. Not the kind of hassle expected of such a product. This isn't Acer's first monitor.
No, but from the review it's clearly a defective product. From back light bleed, 4k on a 27" display, ridiculously broke adaptive zone lighting, craptacular UI and defective parts shipped in the box.
Not to mention $2000 dollars buys you a mother trucken sweet television. (I get how once you spend that amount of moola some folks will defend it to the ends of the earth)

All in all 10 out of 10 FAILS

PS Before someone claims I am of German descent, let it be known that I do like sauerkraut. ;)

They didn't have to include the mounting plate in the first place. Someone at Acer probably thought at the last minute that they should include something to help people who want to mount it to an arm and didn't think about the implications of that before going ahead. Acer made the simple mistake of wanting to beat ASUS to market, as usual.

No, but from the review it's clearly a defective product. From back light bleed, 4k on a 27" display, ridiculously broke adaptive zone lighting, craptacular UI and defective parts shipped in the box.
Not to mention $2000 dollars buys you a mother trucken sweet television. (I get how once you spend that amount of moola some folks will defend it to the ends of the earth)

All in all 10 out of 10 FAILS

PS Before someone claims I am of German descent, let it be known that I do like sauerkraut. ;)
So you address several of the problems that were identified in the video with this panel. While it's possible it's just a defective unit, there are too many issues at once. If it just had one of these issues, ok return it, but all at once is extremely unlikely. It just screams a rushed shoddy launch of a product that was very far from ready, as I mentioned in my original post. Still too much apology in this thread, about how there are so many amazing things coming together, that it should be expected there are these issues. No, there shouldn't not at this level. There isn't going to be a $3,000 flawless version later.

I fail to see how one guy getting a monitor with a defective fan makes the entire monitor line defective. For all we know they could have kicked his monitor off the shipping truck. Stuff like that actually happens. I assume the other item you are talking about is blooming? All FALD displays bloom. I'd rather have some blooming of FALD than terrible contrast ratios, IPS glow and back light bleed. The contrast ratio for an IPS panel on the X27 is quite phenomenal all things considering. I catch myself playing and saying how does this game look this good on an IPS panel?

It blows other gaming monitors image quality out of the water.

Vega I have a great appreciation for your reviews over the years and I have respect for your opinions. I absolutely believe you when you say it is the best possible available gaming monitor. That said I can't justify 2K on something like that monitor which may or may not have a cooling issue. I'll let it shake out and find out later if it is or is not a real problem. As I get older and have a family I have been trying to get to completely silent systems without custom watercooling. On top of which is the fact it's hard to miss what you never have had so ignorance is bliss in the meantime, I'll read your review and eventually might take the plunge but not yet.

My wife and I are still using 1080P plasma TVs, still have a beautiful picture 7 years later. With that said, the Mrs. and I watched this video last night together and she gasped at the fan where I my head was spinning exorcist style at the halo effect.

Ironically since I mostly PC game more now then ever I'm looking at getting an Ultra wide monitor to replace the plasma on my desk.

Back