ACER PREDATOR CG437K monitor, better than ASUS?

IMO, the only reason to consider the Acer or Asus is the size difference between them and the 48" LG CX. Anything over 43" just doesn't work for me.

It's how I feel, I'd get the CX, but I don't want something that large and a 43" is a perfect fit.

It's how I feel, I'd get the CX, but I don't want something that large and a 43" is a perfect fit.

I suggest giving the Acer a try. Get one from a place with easy returns policy since only you can tell if it works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky15
like this
I got one of these from Microcenter on sale for $1k this weekend.

In games in looks spectacular. Colors are bright and vivid. Text in windows is absolutely horrible though. There is also some pretty bad ghosting and I'm not someone who is very particular about that stuff.

I could live with the ghosting for the most part, but not the bad text. I tried various different tweaks but can't find anything satisfactory. I may just go with the LG 38" Ultrawide even though it's double the price and not as ideal for movie watching.

I got one of these from Microcenter on sale for $1k this weekend.

In games in looks spectacular. Colors are bright and vivid. Text in windows is absolutely horrible though. There is also some pretty bad ghosting and I'm not someone who is very particular about that stuff.

I could live with the ghosting for the most part, but not the bad text. I tried various different tweaks but can't find anything satisfactory. I may just go with the LG 38" Ultrawide even though it's double the price and not as ideal for movie watching.

What GPU are you using. Did you turn HDR on in window display setting? try turning it off. Text on mine is perfect.

2080ti. HDR is off and never turned on. Here is an example, not sure if you can see it but there is a glow all around the text:

6-16-2020 11-22-50 AM.jpg

2080ti. HDR is off and never turned on. Here is an example, not sure if you can see it but there is a glow all around the text:

View attachment 254107

Here's the one from mine using a 2080. sorry for the poor quality from my phone but you can see that there's minimal to no color shift on the characters. Are you running 1 DP at 4K@120 or 2DP 4K@144?

Super up close with the camera at about 6" from screen, I can see a bit of what's in your image but nowhere as bad

At my normal viewing distance of about 32" this is what I see

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the camera, but that doesn't look great. I feel like even through compression and camera aliasing, I can see color fringing. I assume both of you ran cleartype tuner ("Adjust ClearType Text" from the control panel)?

Not sure if it's the camera, but that doesn't look great. I feel like even through compression and camera aliasing, I can see color fringing. I assume both of you ran cleartype tuner ("Adjust ClearType Text" from the control panel)?

Yea, the iphone X's camera is not what it cracks up to be and I did not run cleartype setup at all. I took the pics at the office where I'm setting up my new PC before bringing the whole setup home. I have since done that and I'll try to take a new set of pictures with a better camera after running Clear type setup.

Last edited:
I just got this monitor from Amazon this week and i was wondering what other owners panel manufacture dates are on theirs? Mine is an old one, Nov 2019, which kind of surprised me. I was thinking newer dates may have updated firmware to fix issues such as on mine for example, I cant adjust overdrive at all, with gsync enabled or disabled. It mentions in the manual it should be adjustable with it disabled If i understand the broken English correctly. I also notice really bad ghosting and loss of detail when anything moves on screen, most noticeable in games, i thought maybe adjusting the overdrive may help with that but i cant.
And finally, HDR looks very bad in windows and in borderlands 3, completely washed out, I dont know what could be the cause of that. Im using Win 10 and latest drivers with 2080 ti in sli.

I just got this monitor from Amazon this week and i was wondering what other owners panel manufacture dates are on theirs? Mine is an old one, Nov 2019, which kind of surprised me. I was thinking newer dates may have updated firmware to fix issues such as on mine for example, I cant adjust overdrive at all, with gsync enabled or disabled. It mentions in the manual it should be adjustable with it disabled If i understand the broken English correctly. I also notice really bad ghosting and loss of detail when anything moves on screen, most noticeable in games, i thought maybe adjusting the overdrive may help with that but i cant.
And finally, HDR looks very bad in windows and in borderlands 3, completely washed out, I dont know what could be the cause of that. Im using Win 10 and latest drivers with 2080 ti in sli.

Sounds like you are probably returning the display but you could look on Acer's site if you can download and update firmware yourself with a USB stick.

HDR looks washed out in Windows on displays that don't have good enough local dimming. That's no different on my Samsung KS8000 or CRG9. In games and movies it usually looks alright (within the limits of edge lit local dimming of course) so it could be a bug with old firmware or if it gets noticeably washed out in a game, then maybe HDR does not work properly. Try setting the display to 10-bit color and 60 Hz and see if that improves the situation in HDR.

Sounds like you are probably returning the display but you could look on Acer's site if you can download and update firmware yourself with a USB stick.

HDR looks washed out in Windows on displays that don't have good enough local dimming. That's no different on my Samsung KS8000 or CRG9. In games and movies it usually looks alright (within the limits of edge lit local dimming of course) so it could be a bug with old firmware or if it gets noticeably washed out in a game, then maybe HDR does not work properly. Try setting the display to 10-bit color and 60 Hz and see if that improves the situation in HDR.

Yeah looking for firmware on the Acer website was the first thing i did, I even typed in the monitors serial # but nothing available. When I use HDR mode in Windows on my 65" CX OLED it looks fine, games even better.
Theres a video by Hardware Unboxed that takes a good look at the Asus 43" XG438Q which I always assumed used the same panel as the CG437K. Looking at the response times they have would help explain what I and many others see, which is horrible ghosting when anything dark is on screen, the times are so bad it just cant keep up with the refresh rate, unless the overdrive is changed which again I am unable to adjust to see if it even improves the issue for me. My Acer XB273K is totally fine with no ghosting at all so its just hard to imagine Acer would let this slip into a production monitor, ive always liked their products, ive bought many in the past. I do love the 43" size though, ive always wanted one, its a shame I will have to send it back, I may just get the 48" CX everyone keeps talking about. I wanted just a regular LED panel for PC use cause its easier to deal with and not worry about image retention on OLED but I may just have to deal with it.

Yeah looking for firmware on the Acer website was the first thing i did, I even typed in the monitors serial # but nothing available. When I use HDR mode in Windows on my 65" CX OLED it looks fine, games even better.
Theres a video by Hardware Unboxed that takes a good look at the Asus 43" XG438Q which I always assumed used the same panel as the CG437K. Looking at the response times they have would help explain what I and many others see, which is horrible ghosting when anything dark is on screen, the times are so bad it just cant keep up with the refresh rate, unless the overdrive is changed which again I am unable to adjust to see if it even improves the issue for me. My Acer XB273K is totally fine with no ghosting at all so its just hard to imagine Acer would let this slip into a production monitor, ive always liked their products, ive bought many in the past. I do love the 43" size though, ive always wanted one, its a shame I will have to send it back, I may just get the 48" CX everyone keeps talking about. I wanted just a regular LED panel for PC use cause its easier to deal with and not worry about image retention on OLED but I may just have to deal with it.

Comparing to your OLED is just not fair. My Samsung CRG9 and KS8000 just looked washed out in comparison to my C9 65" or my current CX 48". So I would not put that much stock into HDR performance against what is literally the best you can buy as a consumer.

The ghosting issues are entirely the panel though. They really messed this panel up and I hope they try again because otherwise these displays had a fantastic feature set.

The CX 48" is great on the desktop as long as you can push it far away enough. I feel it works best if on the desktop you choose a portion where you do most of your work and use the rest of the space for things you don't look at all the time.

Back