ACER PREDATOR CG437K monitor, better than ASUS?

bananadude

Limp Gawd
It seems that this monitor might be the real winner if it has RGB subpixel array, can anybody confirm this?
Here’s the review, but I still can’t find info about that. It looks like it may be what we all wanted from the 43” ASUS monitor
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-cg437k-43-4k-hdr1000
It's BGR and it ain't anything special. I picked one up the other week and returned it a few days later. Somewhat better than the Asus, but only marginally. Text is still crap, even with the tweaks you can make, and it's never going to be equal to RGB. For gaming though, yeah, it's fine, but I don't think justifies its price tag given the issues it has. The typical VA flaws are evident. At half the price, it would be OK, but they're just asking way too much for this IMO, hence why I returned it. Best hold out for the LG 48" OLED... may be cheaper than this and will absolutely wipe the floor with it.

dgz

Supreme [H]ardness
HDMI 2.1 displays later on this year will completely obsolete this monitor at much lower prices.
You forgot to add "hopefully". I agree with your sentiment, though. Now is a terrible time for buying a good monitor/tv.

Because there isn't one... not at the price it's at anyway.... were it half that, there would be a strong argument.
Ok, except maybe the size, I still think 40” is perfect, 43” is good for pc gaming too, but 48” I would like to see if I could handle it without moving my head too much, and the DPI, I don’t know if it may be too low

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
LG 48" gang says 'buying old smearfest crap is a waste of money at this point'.

Glad to see the rehashed, lazy, cheap-ass monitor pushers thrown into the marsh at this point. Good riddance.

I've not upgraded since 2011 because everything has been a huge compromise. Bugger that.

Ok, except maybe the size, I still think 40” is perfect, 43” is good for pc gaming too, but 48” I would like to see if I could handle it without moving my head too much, and the DPI, I don’t know if it may be too low
They all have practically the same PPI if you are at the correct distance. You also shouldn't turn your head either.
There is a calculator for this too.

I see absolutely no reason to get this over the 48" LG OLED.
You'll see a reason when you look at text... ClearType works acceptably well (with the right setting) on a BGR sub-pixel structure (as on the CG437K), but not on the LG OLED RGBW. You have to either disable ClearType and use gray-scale font smoothing (which doesn't look great), or you have to put up with serious fringing with ClearType enabled.

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
You'll see a reason when you look at text... ClearType works acceptably well (with the right setting) on a BGR sub-pixel structure (as on the CG437K), but not on the LG OLED RGBW. You have to either disable ClearType and use gray-scale font smoothing (which doesn't look great), or you have to put up with serious fringing with ClearType enabled.
After the examples earlier in the thread, I don't think its as bad as you make it out and if thats the worst thing, then I would happily compromise there and I do work with text pretty often.

Also it does not preclude microshaft making an update to cleartype to solve this even better than current workarounds.

You are not really going to see fringes at 4k pixel density if the screen is at the correct distance.

bananadude

Limp Gawd

Text on the 43" models is 100% worse. The argument goes the other way. I've checked out text on my B9 55" OLED and it utterly destroys the 43" XG438Q and CG437K, both of which I've bought and returned for this very reason. I don't know what people are smoking if they think text on these 43" monitors will be better than the OLED because it absolutely WILL NOT. Using Better ClearType Tuner does help vs Windows' inferior tool, but there's still no question I would take OLED over these monitors when it comes to text, and everything else for that matter.

I prefer text on my 32" IPS overall though, but that's a different monitor for a different use case, plus much higher PPI of course.

Last edited:

bigbluefe

Gawd
Even my old ass B6 55" doesn't look that bad even if you're right on top of it as long as you're running RGB and not some compressed crap.

48" will probably look pretty decent.

After the examples earlier in the thread, I don't think its as bad as you make it out and if thats the worst thing, then I would happily compromise there and I do work with text pretty often.

Also it does not preclude microshaft making an update to cleartype to solve this even better than current workarounds.

You are not really going to see fringes at 4k pixel density if the screen is at the correct distance.
It doesn't look right even from a distance. You don't see the detail of the fringes, but you still notice the poor rendering of the fonts. I can't tell if this is something that Microsoft could address some day in ClearType or not. Without being an expert on font rendering and the intricacies of the LG OLED sub-pixel structure, I can't say. At any rate, such support in ClearType isn't there today, and there has been no indication from Microsoft or LG that this situation will change.

You are left without a good solution if you use the display extensively for text. Neither ClearType nor gray-scale smoothing looks good. Whether you are willing to compromise on that for some other benefit of the display is a different question, but people who use the display primarily for text work should be aware of this issue.

bananadude

Limp Gawd
It doesn't look right even from a distance. You don't see the detail of the fringes, but you still notice the poor rendering of the fonts. I can't tell if this is something that Microsoft could address some day in ClearType or not. Without being an expert on font rendering and the intricacies of the LG OLED sub-pixel structure, I can't say. At any rate, such support in ClearType isn't there today, and there has been no indication from Microsoft or LG that this situation will change.

You are left without a good solution if you use the display extensively for text. Neither ClearType nor gray-scale smoothing looks good. Whether you are willing to compromise on that for some other benefit of the display is a different question, but people who use the display primarily for text work should be aware of this issue.

I'd question the sense of using a 48" OLED screen "primarily for text work"... add the glossy coating into the mix, and it's really far from optimal for this. Each to their own though of course. I imagine anyone doing this is probably doing so more out of protest and sheer frustration with the junk panels LCD monitors offer at inflated prices.

I'd question the sense of using a 48" OLED screen "primarily for text work"... add the glossy coating into the mix, and it's really far from optimal for this. Each to their own though of course. I imagine anyone doing this is probably doing so more out of protest and sheer frustration with the junk panels LCD monitors offer at inflated prices.
Right, so an OLED TV isn't really a substitute for an LCD monitor unless you use it mostly for things other than text.

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Right, so an OLED TV isn't really a substitute for an LCD monitor unless you use it mostly for things other than text.

If you spend your days in Word documents, Powerpoint and browsing the web (what I would define as "primarily text work") then no, it really isn't. An IPS RGB matte screen would be better, probably no bigger than 32" depending on your sitting distance, 4K preferable if you have good vision. If your use case ALSO involves a variety of media including videos, film and games however, then it very much is.

chimera991

[H]ard|Gawd
With a price drop to $1199, is this monitor worth it?

I want a 43" 4k that will do 120hz and this is it.
It's just crazy that my 55" oled was $1k shipped.

The setup will be within 3-4 feet from each other.

Sky15

2[H]4U
With a price drop to $1199, is this monitor worth it?

I want a 43" 4k that will do 120hz and this is it.
It's just crazy that my 55" oled was $1k shipped.

The setup will be within 3-4 feet from each other.
I had no idea this was available, and I've been looking to replace my 4 year old Predator X34. That Price seems really good too.