acer led monitor darker to lighter gradient running top to bottom

multi-tasking_guy

Limp Gawd
i have a 23" acer monitor model: G236HL

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.VG6AA.B02
https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824009641

the bottom of the monitor is lighter than the top

it's like a gradient it goes starting at the top(darker) slowly gets more (lighter)bottom

what could be the cause of this, am i able to open it up and fix it?

the problem is the at the bottom 1/4 of the monitor, its too bright/too light

the top 2/3 of the monitor is correct, what the monitor should be in terms of color and brightness.
the top is not actually "dark" its the correct brightness, it just looks dark because of the picture i took

i think there something wrong with the bottom, not sure what could be causing this

i made the taskbar horizontal so its easier to see the light to dark problem

111.png 22.png 333.png

It's a TN, so are you sure you're not just seeing the gamma shift? Those pics you took are angled from the top. Gamma shift is worse top to bottom.

i just read about led tn displays, according to my reading online this is normal for tn displays?

it's really annoying the white light at the bottom. i am 100% certain it's not the angle i am viewing it

local13911.jpg.ecf51b15af837493fb0b0dcc6497880c.jpg

Looks like normal TN to me. I used to have one and it was funny that on any web page with a neutral middle tone, looked like a gradient running up and down the screen.

That is a large part of the reason TN is the cheapest, screen that everyone says avoid if remotely interested in color accuracy.

i just read about led tn displays, according to my reading online this is normal for tn displays?

it's really annoying the white light at the bottom. i am 100% certain it's not the angle i am viewing it

View attachment 169215
Well the extra light projecting from the bottom could be caused by the backlight, frame assembly, or a combination of factors. This is a cheap monitor, so I wouldn't rule out anything. The specs state that maximum brightness is only 200 nits, so the backlight may just consist of LEDs projecting from the bottom of the assembly.

If the brightness moves as you move your head from bottom to top (or just tilt the screen) then yes, that is normal for TN. That is called vertical gamma shift and it is the reason why I do not touch TNs even with a ten foot pole. They are rubbish panels. Their only saving grace is the speed which may be worth it for competitive gaming but for the rest of us... screw TN.

If the brightness moves as you move your head from bottom to top (or just tilt the screen) then yes, that is normal for TN. That is called vertical gamma shift and it is the reason why I do not touch TNs even with a ten foot pole. They are rubbish panels. Their only saving grace is the speed which may be worth it for competitive gaming but for the rest of us... screw TN.
It is worth noting that some TN's have this particular effect in different amount. I mean some TN panels seems, especially those in cheap laptops, are absolutely pathetic and some better panels (it does not necessarily mean 144/240Hz unfortunately) are good enough to only show slight hue changes with only very minor change in actual brightness of white. Still I would not touch TN panel and in fact I never owned one, let alone used one with my main PC. I used them at work and pretty much almost all laptops have them so I had my good share of looking at them in my life. For myself I bought tablet PC with IPS panel and would rather get expensive laptop (like an Apple) just to have good IPS panel and not this atrocious TN.

For similar reason I wont ever buy VA panel again, especially since these have terrible reponse times. Some VA panels I owned had worse viewing angles (like watching them from side) than some TN I was forced to use. Never had any viewing angles (or dark streaking like VA exhibit) with IPS though

This photo was taken from slightly above monitor and it shows much less if any darkening so it is proof this is just TN panel. This is just how these panels roll...

Go buy yourself IPS panel if you do not like these kind of effects.

Back