Acer K242HQK 4k

I'm wondering if this will do 4k@60hz.

I also can't find any info on this.

Wow, quite an impressive price for a 4K IPS. Those should sell like hot cakes.

I'm wondering if this will do 4k@60hz.

I also can't find any info on this.

Newegg lists it as 60 Hz. I don't think anyone is going to release a 30 Hz monitor this age.

Wow, quite an impressive price for a 4K IPS. Those should sell like hot cakes.
Newegg lists it as 60 Hz. I don't think anyone is going to release a 30 Hz monitor this age.

Wow, $350 shipped for that is quite impressive indeed :eek:. The only catch could be for gaming as to whether it has overly aggressive overdrive that causes inverse ghosting, as some of the other Acer 4K panels have had in some cases. Given that it's a brand new model, I'd imagine this was probably addressed. It even has a three-year warranty out of the box, which is huge considering it's listed as a 4K 60hz IPS (23.6") at this price range. It even has a decent-to-good looking stand and 100mm VESA mounting holes.

Yes and on top of that I like 23inch better then 28inch. Higher the PPi the better in my book.

This is literally exactly what I want...assuming it doesn't have any major problems.

I placed an order at Buy / Rakuten.
I will be testing the lag with the Bodnar tester (1080P) once I receive it.

Yes and on top of that I like 23inch better then 28inch. Higher the PPi the better in my book.

Is your view based on experience? 24" 4K means major scaling problems. You'll have to make the fonts huge just to read them, which defeats much of the purpose of having a higher resolution.

I had a 28" 4K monitor and found it disappointing after a short while and returned it.

I agree the price is very attractive but a monitor of this size and PPI has definitely got some major downsides.

I prefer keeping PPI around 110 for extended use, so 4K is best at ~40 inch, I expect.

Windows 10 fixes scaling issues so it's no problem. Using a 218 PPI 27" 5K with Windows 10 and it looks gorgeous.

Is your view based on experience? 24" 4K means major scaling problems. You'll have to make the fonts huge just to read them, which defeats much of the purpose of having a higher resolution.

I had a 28" 4K monitor and found it disappointing after a short while and returned it.

I agree the price is very attractive but a monitor of this size and PPI has definitely got some major downsides.

I prefer keeping PPI around 110 for extended use, so 4K is best at ~40 inch, I expect.

Having owned and used 4k screens ranging from a dell up2414q (23.6" like this monitor) to a 32" 4k, the truth is that scaling issues have always been vastly overblown, and I got the up2414q in may 2014 before eventually selling it. Nowadays, you're hard pressed to find a major application that doesn't either scale natively with options, or respond well to manual scaling tweaks,even under windows 8.1. With windows 10, like Vega said, it's even better. High res isn't only about desktop space, but also picture quality. Rendering text and other fine detail at higher PPI makes it cleaner and more legible, comfortable to read, and enjoyable. Even the 23.6" gave me no issues with this. The 32" felt almost too big and low PPI. Eventually, as of about a month ago, I settled on a gsync 4k 28" panel, which is sized perfectly for me. As a long time ips lover I was very ambivalent about it, but the color quality and accuracy is nearly spot on with many of my other ips monitors even though it's a tn. For critical color work I will cross check and even work some on an ips side panel, but that's about it.

Anyone know how scaling works in the various linux distros? I have a multiple monitor stand that I'd like to throw 2 of these on, but that particular box only runs linux.

Windows 10 fixes scaling issues so it's no problem. Using a 218 PPI 27" 5K with Windows 10 and it looks gorgeous.

I'm sure it looks great in OS X too. I wish I could use my Visa reward points at newegg like you can on amazon, because that is a nice price for that monitor.

Anyone know how scaling works in the various linux distros? I have a multiple monitor stand that I'd like to throw 2 of these on, but that particular box only runs linux.

I think Ubuntu Unity and the newest Gnome/KDE versions have better scaling support since they are trying to target tablets (or phones in the case of Ubuntu) as well as desktops. I haven't been reading up on it lately though, so I don't have a definitive answer for you.

My view is purely a preference one I'm sitting on 15/20 vision so small text is easy for me to see.

Also I'm a bit space limited so any extra inches I can save the better.

lastly I have 3x21" 1080p monitors right now. I think adding a 23" below them will look better then adding a 28" below them. Additonally there are more monitor stands options for 24". Something like this is priced reasonably \/ and holds up to 24"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPT52JU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3W3STWCK1O3NR

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I received it; it works fine in 4K at 60 hz using displayport;
Dual Link DVI works at 4K but only at 30hz.

But I think the larger concern is the AG coating that they use,
it's been a long time since I've used a monitor with a super thick AG coating
and it's quite unpleasant, making solid whites look dirty and grainy.
On the other hands whites look nice and smooth on my main 34UM95.

Still deciding whether to keep or return...

On the plus side, input lag is the best I've seen yet, 2.0 ms (top bar reading)

IMG_2084.JPG

Can anyone please answer this.

Is it possible to overclock this monitor to 75Hz or even 100Hz?

I am seriously thinking of buying this monitor and the games that I play are not very demanding (F1 2013, Grid Autosport, CS GO, Dota 2, etc...) and I have enough graphics card potential to utilize it (GTX 970 SLI).

It is not overclockable, above 60hz it frame skips, above 67hz and blank screen or signal not supported message on the LCD.

However, if you use the nvlddmkm patcher, you can overclock the DVI port beyond 30hz,
I was able to get it up to 52hz without artifacting using a fairly long DVI cable.
This should tide me over until I can upgrade my 780TI to a 980TI for more displayport inputs.

Aside from the grainy AG it looks good; probably AG removal would work but
I don't want to risk ruining the monitor already. Since I'm using it as a secondary
monitor I decided to just live with the AG coating, at least until someone can confirm
that the AG coating can be removed without damaging the panel.
If the AG coating can be removed it's probably perfect as far as I'm concerned.
As you saw above, very low input lag, this is the lowest reading I've seen,
and it's even upscaling 1080P to 4K with this.

One annoying thing is the way that the inputs are selected, you press the input button
and then it slowly cycles through the three inputs (DP, DVI, HDMI) until it finds one
with a valid signal. It should just be a simple manual selection. I'm going to see if
there's a way to change this behavior in the service menu, if there is one.

Aside from the grainy AG it looks good; probably AG removal would work but
I don't want to risk ruining the monitor already. Since I'm using it as a secondary
monitor I decided to just live with the AG coating, at least until someone can confirm
that the AG coating can be removed without damaging the panel.
If the AG coating can be removed it's probably perfect as far as I'm concerned.
As you saw above, very low input lag, this is the lowest reading I've seen,
and it's even upscaling 1080P to 4K with this.

One annoying thing is the way that the inputs are selected, you press the input button
and then it slowly cycles through the three inputs (DP, DVI, HDMI) until it finds one
with a valid signal. It should just be a simple manual selection. I'm going to see if
there's a way to change this behavior in the service menu, if there is one.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to bite the bullet and get this or wait a couple of weeks for the LU24E590DS to hit stores....Not really sure what FreeSync is but I figure it might be worth the extra 50 bucks.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU24E590DS/ZA

Actually it looks like the LU24E590DS doesn't have a standard power port and uses some adapter a laptop charger. Does the K242HQK have a standard power cable?

Last edited:
It uses a standard IEC power cable, power supply is internal. I hate external bricks for LCDs...

It uses a standard IEC power cable, power supply is internal. I hate external bricks for LCDs...

Yep me too. It was close between this and LU24E590DS but the external brick sealed the deal picking this up.

thank you for the info and buying first.

Also VESA mounting is a concern here... the ACER uses a standard 100x100 hole pattern whereas the Samsung uses this weird hole pattern that requires an adapter that's sold separately (and not even available). I use a LCD arm so VESA mounting is a must...

Back