Acer Aspire V15 Black Edition or Lenovo Y50

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastage

Pics of your wife?
So I am in a bit of a quandary here.. Looking to buy a new laptop this week for every day use & a bit of gaming (Diablo 3 & SC2, but nothing super heavy). I haven't gamed in the last 7 months since I sold my gaming rig (desktop) and the screen on my little Lenovo S405 is complete SHIT (not even sure if the APU will handle it). So getting something with a decent screen is a high priority. That said I am good with 1080 & don't really care for 4k.

Budget wise Its somewhat flexible, but I would rather not spend a fortune.

Currently I am looking at either of these.

Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-75S2 15.6-Inch Full HD Laptop - 1199

or

Lenovo Y50 4k 15.6-Inch Laptop (59425943) Black - 1189

Spec wise the Lenovo has it, but I would in all honesty rather not have the 4k display (the non 4k models are a super crappy TN panel). Also Lenovo and the shitty ass white listing of wifi cards & shitty sales team piss me off..

The Acer on the other hand has the right resolution, and 1 more HDD bay so that could be handy. Also comes with less ram, but thats not a big deal considering how easy it is to upgrade. Acer also seems to be a little less Nazi like with there warranty's & people "upgrading" (either one will probably end up with a single 500gb SSD).

So what say you [H]... Should I deal with Lenovo or go with the Acer..

Also any other recommendations would be appreciated. Display size doesn't matter, but thickness of the unit does (ie I would be ok with a 14" as long as it was spec'd well)..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You're prices are off on your OP.

$300 more and you can get a GT60

From the two i'd get the Acer, the fan design is nicer, it runs cooler while idling and gaming. The Y50 uses a bridge design which often get hot under load. Though it seems much more easy to upgrade the HDD on the Y50 vs Nitro. Nitro requires pretty much top case (keyboard) to be removed in order to replace HDD. $1199 is a lot for a GTX 860M honestly, they are bound to hit the $899-$999 ball park soon once maxwell gets more settled in.

I'd wait/save up another $300 and get Sager 8258 or MSI GT60 both at $1499, the Asus G751 is another choice as well.

The GT60 is a great laptop and is not as loud as some people say for it to be. I love mine so far and the sound quality I get from it is great too. I can change out ram, cpu, gpu easily and even re-paste cpu/gpu easily. That's what makes a custom gaming laptop soo easy to work with.

Thanks for the catch on the prices. All of the laptops you recommend are way too thick.. I'm looking for something less then an inch thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back